Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Introduce Yourself!

325 posts in this topic

Hey everyone my name is Shawn.I'm a volenteer firefighter for the Cornwall Fire Department in new york.I'm also the 2nd Lieutenant there! I been there for 8 years.I am also aprt of cornwall vol ambulance corp.I'm a emt there an been there for 2years.I work for new windsor ambulance as a full time employee.I'm in the proccess of becoming a paid fireman! I'm new here an trying to figure it out so any tips would be helpful!

Welcome Shawn, enjoy the site, alot of great information passes through here.

WOW, thanks for being on our side. I will stand behind you any time you're kicking a**! ;)

Outstanding! Thanks! I may be tough but I'm small and just one lone instigator, so any a--kicking back-up is both welcome and most appreciated! LOL!

Outstanding! Thanks! I may be tough but I'm small and just one lone instigator, so any a--kicking back-up is both welcome and most appreciated! LOL!

-Hmmm Tapout, Ive seen your posts on JN- THANK U !!

Guess I should introduce myself at some point~!

Hi all...my name is Lisa.....been involved in the Fire Service going on 19 years now. STasrted out in Yorktown VFD, spent a short time in Mahopac, then a few years in Peekskill FD - was a Lt. and Capt there until I took a new job and moved upstate. I'm also a former EMT, and former member of YVAC, and also worked for a paid service in Bedford Hills for a while.

Currently I work in a Gov't job involved in the Fire Service - been there since 2002....prior to that I was x634 (yep, hired BEFORE Seth! LOL).....and also dispatched for Westcheester County PD.

Since others have listed other experience - I am an individual member of the NFPA (since 1998), sit on the NFPA150 Technical Committe as a principal member, and am also Secretary of the NFPA Wildland Fire Management Section. I'm a Nationally Certified Fire Service Instructor II, Arson Investigator Level I, Haz Mat Tech w/WMD training, Code Enforcement Official.....the list goes on!

I used to do a lot of photography, and also have horses. Lately though, my family has taken priority - having a 3 year old at home and working full time takes a lot of time!

I'm always willing to learn something - everyone has stories to share - hopefully all the younger members I see here will come away from this site with a lot of knowledge!

Welcome Donna and Lisa

Hey Everyone...!

I am both pleased and honored to be a part of the emtbravo family.... I'm the " ghetto fire officer" from Poughkeepsie, and am looking forward to seeing more pictures of me in the many fires that I face in the Po'k. ghetto...!!!

Hope everyone had a Gr8t Holiday! Hopefully I will catch up on the old friends I made in NYC and Westchester!!!

You'll remember the live fish in my pocket at Probie School!!!!!!!

Edited by NyBrave1

Hey Everyone...!

I am both pleased and honored to be a part of the emtbravo family.... I'm the " ghetto fire officer" from Poughkeepsie, and am looking forward to seeing more pictures of me in the many fires that I face in the Po'k. ghetto...!!!

Hope everyone had a Gr8t Holiday! Hopefully I will catch up on the old friends I made in NYC and Westchester!!!

Welcome "Ghetto Fire Officer"!!!!!

Alot of good info and coversation happens here so stay tuned.......

Hey Everyone...!

''Hey MO''

Donald P.

Hey Everyone...!

“GFO Need Not Apply”…

By Ray McCormack, FDNY

EFO stands for Executive Fire Officer. Those three little letters at the end of an officer’s name say that you have successfully complete the National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer program. The only place the program is offered is in Emmittsburg, Maryland. The course requires diligence, hard work, and several years to complete. Most titles in the fire service precede the surname such as Private, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, and Chief so EFO definitely stands out. EFO is held in high regard and only a small portion of the fire service lays claim to it.

GFO stands for Ghetto Fire Officer. Those three little letters do not appear at the end of any officer’s name even when they have shown due diligence and hard work for many years. The reason they do not appear is that there is no formal program to back it up. It is only accredited by those who know the officer and his accomplishments. Accreditation programs are not based on real world experience; they are based on term papers and exams.

It looks like the fire service is getting its collective snob face on; have we moved into a place where we only value degrees and letters; turning up our noses at the lingering smell of smoke? How much value do we place on actual “job” experience? And by job, I’m meaning a fire. The fire service, once a bastion of blue collar and some college, has gone main stream. Yes, we’re finally like everyone else. Degrees trump experience, Congratulations!

Anyone who works hard should be rewarded. However when the job is that of a “FIRE” Chief, careful consideration of the whole resume is a must. This is the most sacred of positions. Many Chiefs’ jobs fall in favor of school experience and that’s fine for training chiefs, but not for line officers.

Maybe we can’t blame the hiring committee for being impressed by letters and degrees. Please impress us with your management, people, communication, and feel good skills; and make sure you have the papers to prove it they say. Letters and accreditation are easy to understand and evaluate; it’s just too bad that the down and dirty officer doesn’t get letters at the end of his name. We in the fire service should applaud actual experience when it comes to selecting a “FIRE” Chief, so that these three little letters stand their best chance of happening: EGH

;)

''Hey MO''

Donald P.

The Legend has arrived.

welcome new members

Hello everyone. My name is Vincent, I have recently became involved in emergency services, I am a member of the Warwick Volunteer Ambulance Corps, and am entering training for NYC Auxiliary Police later this month. In addition, I have been a member of the Orange County Police Cadet Corps program for the past three years, with a current "rank" of Cadet Staff Sergeant for Administration.

Hey guys,

Still kinda newbe here, I'm Dave from Vestal,Ny

I'm on the disater team for Red Cross, Sometimes i help out at the EMS station, My all time dream and still is , is to join a FD Long story short, when i was 16 tryed to oin the FD they shot me down big time, i havent tryed going back cause i'm still pissed off about that

When i was 14 i joined explore program for EMS became a member in 2000, they made my 2nd dream come true, I cant be EMT or CRF thanks to really bad hearing but i help out at the station but never felt like i was helping anyone or anything but all that changed when i joined red cross in latre 05 and last summer i finally got to do what i wanted to really help folks when we had the flood, I'm proud of being inred cross and really feel helpfull now

TO DAVE27 ARE YOU DEAF ?? IF YOU ARE YOU STILL CAN BE AN EMT-B IN NYS !!!!??.

CHECK THE AMERICAN DISABILITY ACT. ? SHAC 7213 KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!! :)

Hi -

20 yrs Vol. FF

15 yrs Vol. EMT

8 yrs Fire Photographer (actually started back in 1982, but it was hit or miss until the digital age came along).

From Berkshire County, Mass. shoot a lot in Litchfield County, CT and sometimes I make my way over to Dutchess & Columbia Counties.

Own the website http://www.fireservicephotography.com

Webmaster for Berkshire SPAAMFAA (own a P.O.S. 1954 Pirsch pumper)

Webmaster/VP CT Fire Photographers Assoc.

Sr. Corespondent 1st Responder Newspaper

Dispatcher for IPN.

Active on the following message boards:

http://www.firepics.net

http://www.ctfire-ems.com/

lurk on

http://www.10-75.net/

http://emtbravonewengland.com/

http://www.uer.ca/

Edited by Ed Harvey

Hi -

20 yrs Vol. FF

15 yrs Vol. EMT

8 yrs Fire Photographer (actually started back in 1982, but it was hit or miss until the digital age came along).

From Berkshire County, Mass. shoot a lot in Litchfield County, CT and sometimes I make my way over to Dutchess & Columbia Counties.

Own the website http://www.fireservicephotography.com

Webmaster for Berkshire SPAAMFAA (own a P.O.S. 1954 Pirsch pumper)

Webmaster/VP CT Fire Photographers Assoc.

Sr. Corespondent 1st Responder Newspaper

Dispatcher for IPN.

Active on the following message boards:

http://www.firepics.net

http://www.ctfire-ems.com/

lurk on

http://www.10-75.net/

http://emtbravonewengland.com/

http://www.uer.ca/

welcome Ed and looking forward to your trip to Wassaic, sorry you missed the ice rescue class.

My name is Dan, I run the site www.longislandfd.net , I pretty much am trying to get as much info, pictures etc. from Suffolk & Nassau County, NY. If anybody would like to submit photos (I will credit you!) email me at babhits16@yahoo.com .

my dad is a paramedic.

i am interested in knowing whats going on around me.

but i am not interested in pursuing a career in emergency services.

Edited by acahill

Just wanted to say hello. My name is Kevin Barry and I am a Lieutenant in the Somers FD.

Just wanted to say hello. My name is Kevin Barry and I am a Lieutenant in the Somers FD.

Welcome abord, Lieutenant Barry!!!I hope you find the EMTBravo Network Interesting, informative, and at times even a bit humorous

Hi I'm Ralph (rd3trk). I have been involved in the Fire/Security/EMS since 1976. I will be

a 33 year member on my 51st birthday May 1st of the McQuoid E & L Co. #3

of the Middletown, NY Fire Dept.. I was injured in the line of duty 4/24/98

will operating Mohawk Ambulance # 10 on an Emergency Run in Albany NY.

Since that time I volunteer for the AlbanyCounty Sheriff's Dept. STOP - DWI

Program Designated Driver & Victim Impact initatives. I also have a good

sized collection of fire engines, fireboats, firehouses,and EMS, and police vehicles.

I also can be found on EMTBravo Upstate forums.

Stay Safe !!!

Edited by rd3trk

Hi I'm rd3trk. I have been involved in the Fire/Security/EMS since 1976. I will be

a 33 year member on my 51st birthday May 1st of the McQuoid E & L Co. #3

of the Middletown, NY Fire Dept.. I was injured in the line of duty 4/24/98

will operating Mohawk Ambulance # 10 on an Emergency Run in Albany NY.

Since that time I volunteer for the AlbanyCounty Sheriff's Dept. STOP - DWI

Program Designated Driver & Victim Impact initatives. I also have a good

sized collection of fire engines, fireboats, firehouses,and EMS, and police vehicles.

I also can be found on EMTBravo Upstate forums.

Stay Safe !!!

Welcome aboard Ralph, good to see you. ;)

My name is Ed and I'm a 14 year police veteran, currently a detective, in the Phoenix, AZ area. I've been a k-9 officer, a DUI officer, and a gang interdiction officer. I've also been a volunteer firefighter for the Harquahala Valley (AZ) Fire Department. My e-mail is officered@usa.com

While a firefighter and now as a detective, I discovered that outfitting my POV or my unmarked Crown Vic with emergency lights was extremely expensive. I decided to get financing and have LED emergency lights manufactured to my specifications that would meet or exceed the features of the "big name" LED lights...but at 1/3 the price so I could offer these lights to my brothers and sisters in emergency services. The Dash-Flash® series of emergency lights was born.

I'm hoping to get permission to offer our lights in the B/S/T forum.

Edited by Officer Ed

Greetings!! I am glad to be able to post to this page. I am an ordained clergyman in the United

Church of Christ serving a small Presbyterian church in PA.

I was a medic in the 1980's in NJ (Jersey City, Newark, Paterson. My cert # is 764 ret.)

I also was the Chelsea MA FD Chaplain in 1972-1978 and was there for the Chelsea Fire.

Hope you all stay safe out there!!

Blessings from Father Fred (the nickname EMS gave me when I worked in Jersey City)

hello all. just stopping in to say hi. im from west oneonta,ny chief of the local fire dept. been involved with the fire service for 37 yrs now. its been enjoyable.

Hello all, I'm taking advantage of the email offer I received today that said non-certified regular members would be allowed to post this week.

I am not a member of any unit, just a citizen who lives and works in Dutchess County. I was looking around for any website where I could find out more about the calls that went out. Your site was the only one I found. Even days after a major event, I could not get any usable information from any other source online. So when stuff's going on, I always check EMT Bravo to find out about it.

My closest relationship to an emergency services worker would be my husband's family. He and 2 of his brothers were volunteers in Vista, NY before they were married. Since then, the youngest one stayed with the department, and is now the only paid police personnel for that community. All I every did was get banners and uniforms ready for parades, but that was when our kids were young.

I have the utmost respect and appreciation for all you guys do, many times at your own expense.

So if you don't mind a lurker now and then, I would like to stay a member.

Thanks

After a long absents I have returned ...........WHO...............yeah I know.........hope to be talkingh to some of you along the way..........be safe wear you helmets