Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

wraftery Saves Two Swimmers Off Virginia Beach

18 posts in this topic

I was told this morning of a heroic act performed yesterday by wraftery and his family.

They were boating off Virginia Beach when they noticed two swimmers in distress. They maneuvered their boat around some tricky old docks and plucked the swimmers from the water just as Virginia Beach FD Marine unit and Virginia Beach PD helicopter arrived.

I'm sure he has some more detailed information, but that's what I heard. Strong work!

Edited by x635
Correction at request
JetPhoto and sueg like this

Fantastic! Nice grab and great being in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing. Thank you, Mr. Wraftery and family, for helping keep that family's holiday safe.

x635 likes this

EEEEasy, there big fella. That's how things get blown out of proportion. First, let's get that "Heroic" off the marquee. Heroic means that you put yourself in great danger to save a life. That was not the case. Like most rescues the rescuer happens to be at the right place at the right time.

All we did was make a pickup that just involved some maneuvering to get to them. Granted they were on the brink of drowning, but it was just a pickup by a boat with 2 firefighters aboard. We just did what we always do, even on our day off. Not heroic at all.

Let's make some use out of this thread and make it a training session on marine rescue of persons in the water and in distress operating from a private vessel from a private boat.

People who are on the brink of drowning usually do not call for help. They are silent with a look of panic. If they show these signs, they are going down very soon.

SOP

1. Call Mayday... get help on way

2. Never lose sight of victim. Point your arm in vic.s direction for your boat's driver to aim

3 When close enough throw PFD's or anything that floats DO NOT enter the water

4 Throw rope if needed DO NOT enter the water

5 Once vic is alongside ensure motor is off so there are no prop injuries

6 Haul vic at the lowest point , usually it's the stern. DO NOT ENTER WATER

7 DO NOT ENTER WATER (Are you getting the point?)

"Heroic" is a pretty heavy word. Don't use it lightly

EEEEasy, there big fella. That's how things get blown out of proportion. First, let's get that "Heroic" off the marquee. Heroic means that you put yourself in great danger to save a life. That was not the case. Like most rescues the rescuer happens to be at the right place at the right time.

"Heroic" is a pretty heavy word. Don't use it lightly

I understand your view, and it's a word that's overused in today's society. However, I originally posted "heroic" (removed from thread title at your request) because I'm sure those swimmers and their family think differently. I'm told they most likely would have drowned and it would have been a recovery had it not been for you. And, as you pointed out, it could have been a much different scene had another boater come upon them. It may be a heavy word, but I believe that hero does apply in this case. There was a higher reason why you were in that spot at that time.

Good job. Reminds me of the time my (then) boyfriend and I were on the Hudson River just south of the Bear Mtn Bridge - saw a boat of people partying, and a few hundred yards away a swimmer in obvious distress. We went to the swimmer (who had a boat cushion keeping her afloat), managed to pull her out and get her safely back to the other boat.

We declined the offered beverages and went along on our merry way.....another example of why alcohol and boating do not mix!

x635 likes this

You forgot to mention that he is a NAVY veteran. Who rescued someone on Memorial Day. Coincidence? I think not.

Also recently received the Chesapeake VA Outstanding Citizen of the Year award.

I don't know if a Higher Power put me in this particular situation or not, but I doubt it was a test for me to enter the Big Firehouse in the sky.

I do know, however, that we all get 15 minutes of fame in our lifetime and some of you people are using mine up with bullpoop

PEMO3, Bnechis, pasobuff and 2 others like this

GOOD JOB WRAFTERY!

As some one that knows Chief Raftery pretty well his statement of being in the right place at the right time is perfect. He did however leave out one thing-- he has never forgotten his training. His training was the difference between life and death that day.

as for his 15 min of fame?? thought that was taken by the East Hartsdale fire :) its the only fire that I know of that had departments from the river(Hudson) to the Long Island Sound involved in some way. and from the NYC line to I am not sure how far north the mutual aid was involved.

So great job by the Raftey family and my he not go to the fire station in the sky for a long long time

wraftery likes this

Bill,

Modest as ever, but great job. may you live long enough to see a republican supervisor in Greenburgh!

Funny you should mention training, Capt32. I learned water rescue using a boat when I was about 16 years old. That's 50 years ago, but this was the first rescue of a swimmer in trouble I ever made. My son is on the VBFD Tech Rescue team and learned the evolution a few short years ago. When the rescue was being made, we were both exactly on the same page. Each knew what the other was doing. Communication between us was clear and concise and both of us knew the drill step by step. That was an operation conducted by two generations of firefighters.

You might need your training today, tomorrow, or maybe 50 years from now. When the unusual situation comes along, it usually comes quickly "Whoop...there it is." Ours is the only profession that has to commit every training course to memory and remember it forever. Do you remember high school trig? Probably not. But do you remember the signs of impending backdraft? I bet you do...forever.

Tommy Brennan (RIP) used to say that a good firefighter has to fill his head with "stuff" and be able to get up at 2am from a sound sleep and be able to pull that "stuff" back out.

Funny you should mention training, Capt32. I learned water rescue using a boat when I was about 16 years old. That's 50 years ago, but this was the first rescue of a swimmer in trouble I ever made. My son is on the VBFD Tech Rescue team and learned the evolution a few short years ago. When the rescue was being made, we were both exactly on the same page. Each knew what the other was doing. Communication between us was clear and concise and both of us knew the drill step by step. That was an operation conducted by two generations of firefighters.

You might need your training today, tomorrow, or maybe 50 years from now. When the unusual situation comes along, it usually comes quickly "Whoop...there it is." Ours is the only profession that has to commit every training course to memory and remember it forever. Do you remember high school trig? Probably not. But do you remember the signs of impending backdraft? I bet you do...forever.

Tommy Brennan (RIP) used to say that a good firefighter has to fill his head with "stuff" and be able to get up at 2am from a sound sleep and be able to pull that "stuff" back out.

Chief, I believe in giving credit where credit is due and in this case it is. Great job to you and your son. Not just for saving two lives that day but also for being able to quickly recall your training and put it into action. As you mentioned, two separate generation firefighters were able to quickly and efficiently work together to mitigate a situation In which life could have been lost. I am not trying to soak up your 15 minutes of fame here, just quite impressed that two people who took a training class almost five decades apart were able to work as smoothly and efficiently as you were. That being said, I will leave you alone. Stay safe folks.

210 likes this

Tip of the hat to Chief Wraftery. Well done Sir.

210 likes this

But the real question is.......Did you catch any fish???

NO, I DID NOT!

(Actually, I was just taking a ride with the grandkids.)

Now that you brought that up, there were other difficulties on the trip that all our training doesn't touch upon. The kids got ice cream at the marina when we first started out. Five minutes out, Brayden stepped on his popsickle and wanted to return for a new one. His father explained that the wrapper was still intact, so it was still good, then showed him how you could use a popsickle stick as a spoon. Training does a lot, but sometimes ya just gotta wing it.

FFEMT150, pasobuff and SageVigiles like this