Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Los Angeles CITY FD LAX Rescue Ambulance 51

14 posts in this topic

Los Angeles CITY FD

Rescue Ambulance 51

2014 Dodge 4500/Northstar Emergency Vehicles

Rescue 51 is dedicated to Los Angeles International Airport, and is the only lime ambulance in the fleet. It is identical to all LA City FD red front line ambulances with the exception of the color. It's associated engine company, a Seagrave, is also lime.

Perhaps one of my favorite ambulances out there, as well as one of my most favorite photos I've taken. On a wierd side note, I had no recollection whatsoever of where and when I took this photo, and it was quite a surprise when I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago!

Photos by me a couple of months ago. And if you're interested in California apparatus, be sure to check out EMTBravoWest.com

post-11-0-66715200-1407114080.jpg

post-11-0-65277200-1407114226.jpg

FDNY 10-75, sfrd18 and Capejake72 like this

Is the color an FAA requirement? I have seen a lo of Airport rigs this color but I was [retty sure that not all of them were.

EmsFirePolice likes this

Is the color an FAA requirement? I have seen a lo of Airport rigs this color but I was [retty sure that not all of them were.

I think the ARFF color requirement only applies to ARFF trucks. This ambulance is paid for by Los Angeles World Airports, the operating authority of LAX. I remember being told it is painted to match the LAFD ARFF fleet at LAX and to reflect it's dedicated assignment to LAX. To note, it operate from a separate station with Paramedic Engine 51 at another part of the airfield inside the secured perimeter near Sepulveda Blvd.

Here's an article about the unit when it was rolled out several years ago:

http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg16216.html

Los Angeles CITY FD

Rescue Ambulance 51

2014 Dodge 4500/Northstar Emergency Vehicles

Saw the old 51 at the same Ralph's just off the airport property last year.

Nope, Per FAA guidelines.. all fire fighting equipment on airport property will be painted Lime Yellow. International ran airports! You have St 95 on airport property but outside the gates and equip painted red.

To get technical....

Ambulances are not considered vehicles routinely operating on the "Angle of Attack," therefore are not required by FAA to be "yellowish-green." Ambulances that operate on an airfield are merely required to be painted and designed in accordance with KKK-A-1822F.

The most likely reason they paint it Yellowish-green is probably to keep uniformity through the company and to distinguish it as an Airport ambulance.

Edited by Pagers
x635 likes this

Nope, It was required by LAX to be painted Lime Yellow. Since it is stationed with in the airport fences. And LAX bought or helped purshase this Ambulance. Now Rescue 95 is also on airport property but outside the fences and painted red. Both respond on and off Airport property.

The REAL FAA regs state that if you purchase the apparatus using FAA money (grant assurances) and the vehicle is spec'd under the provisions of an Advisory Circular (extension of FAR Part 139), then the appratus/vehicle must be painted the lime-yellow if the airport operates international COMMERCIAL flights (that also meets a certain number of operations during the international carriers busiest week within a 12 month calendar year). If I can find the particular AC (and there are thousands!) I will try to post the exact verbage for you guys.

Also, the lim-yellow color is often chosen for domestic airports due to it's high visibility within an airfield environment.

The REAL FAA regs state that if you purchase the apparatus using FAA money (grant assurances) and the vehicle is spec'd under the provisions of an Advisory Circular (extension of FAR Part 139), then the appratus/vehicle must be painted the lime-yellow if the airport operates international COMMERCIAL flights (that also meets a certain number of operations during the international carriers busiest week within a 12 month calendar year). If I can find the particular AC (and there are thousands!) I will try to post the exact verbage for you guys.

Also, the lim-yellow color is often chosen for domestic airports due to it's high visibility within an airfield environment.

Again this does not refer to ambulances......

FAA Advisory Circular: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150_5210_5d.pdf

KKK-A-1822F: http://www.deltaveh.com/f.pdf

Edited by Pagers
dwcfireman likes this

An example: Port Authority Of NY/NJ operates ambulances and rescue trucks that operate at both LaGuardia and JFK International Airports. While their ARFF trucks are in the standard lime, all support vehicles, including rescue trucks and ambulances, are in the standard PAPD livery of white with a blue and gold stripe.

From the article linked above about RA21:

At a press conference overlooking LAX's northside runways, the LAFD's
lime-green color ambulance (painted to match the LAFD's other LAX-dedicated
emergency response fire trucks
) and representatives of the 12-member
firefighter-paramedics team assigned to Fire Station 51 were introduced to
local community representatives and the media.

Pagers likes this

Again this does not refer to ambulances......

FAA Advisory Circular: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150_5210_5d.pdf

KKK-A-1822F: http://www.deltaveh.com/f.pdf

I had some down time at work today and was able to find the hard copy (You beat me to it!), and I do stand corrected on the issue of ambulance color.

From what I've heard around the rumor mill, and by that I mean asking around the office, is that ambulances go by the KKK standard for markings because the not many airports have their own EMS transport rigs, and the FAA won't/can't/doesn't care to regulate road registered vehicles such as a transport ambulance (again, this last statement is what I have gathered from talking to other ARFF personnel and not from any FAA publication).

Yea, I'm sure the FAA really doesn't regulate aggressively as I have seen airports that don't even have lime green apparatus (for example Phoenix). Also most places don't care about KKK standards either, even some Federal Departments. Also on a police side I don't think they regulate too much either because technically you need Red AND Blue lightbars and I know my local Sheriff's units that only cover the airport don't have them.