Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viper

Entire fire department quits amid “too much politics”

9 posts in this topic

TYRONE, Okla. — On Monday, March 7, Tyrone Fire Chief Anthony Adams resigned.

Following Adams' resignation, he cited "too much politics to continue." He reported this to his crew of 12 firefighters, who also decided to put in their resignations.

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/entire-volunteer-fire-department-in-tyrone-resigns

x635 likes this

The article doesn't say much as to what exactly was going on but I do not condone quitting because of politics we are here to serve the people and have to look beyond the politics and do what is right.

vodoly likes this

2 hours ago, ex-commish said:

The article doesn't say much as to what exactly was going on but I do not condone quitting because of politics we are here to serve the people and have to look beyond the politics and do what is right.

What if the politics is compelling you to do it wrong and you're not able to implement change to do it right?  Do you suck it up and do it wrong or do you take a stand and adhere to your ethics and morals?

BBBMF, vodoly, AFS1970 and 1 other like this

12 hours ago, Dinosaur said:

What if the politics is compelling you to do it wrong and you're not able to implement change to do it right?  Do you suck it up and do it wrong or do you take a stand and adhere to your ethics and morals?

Good question and not knowing what happened it is hard to answer but  you take a stand to make it right first. Maybe they did and go nowhere. But at the end of the day it's the public who suffers. 

EMT and x635 like this

I'll take the Chief at his word.  Politics, meaning Politicians, are ruining this country at every level.  Even a little 800 person town in OK.

COH Bulldog and x635 like this

15 hours ago, SECTMB said:

I'll take the Chief at his word.  Politics, meaning Politicians, are ruining this country at every level.  Even a little 800 person town in OK.

That is so TRUE.

I am involved in the improvements of the fire service in my own city here in Connecticut. I have no interest in any political future for myself. Just trying to make overall improvements for the benefit of the people this fire service in which it serves. What a NIGHTMARE it has been. As the topics come out, more and more problems seem to arise. The number one issue being the politicians are only concerned of "Their Own Political Future".

If and when any story does finally come out, I hope to share it with all here. The firefighters as well as the citizens they are assigned to protect have been put at risk due to self promoting politicians and fire service leaders who also are only apparently concerned of their own status and well being.  

I have taken on this project "on my own" having No Political ties. My only concern is for the people who depend on this fire service. It has certainly been a learning experience for me. I expect this to be a very long process and one that may bring out many more issues than what first had appeared.

Edited by nfd2004

43 minutes ago, nfd2004 said:

That is so TRUE.

I am involved in the improvements of the fire service in my own city here in Connecticut. I have no interest in any political future for myself. Just trying to make overall improvements for the benefit of the people this fire service in which it serves. What a NIGHTMARE it has been. As the topics come out, more and more problems seem to arise. The number one issue being the politicians are only concerned of "Their Own Political Future".

If and when any story does finally come out, I hope to share it with all here. The firefighters as well as the citizens they are assigned to protect have been put at risk due to self promoting politicians and fire service leaders who also are only apparently concerned of their own status and well being.  

I have taken on this project "on my own" having No Political ties. My only concern is for the people who depend on this fire service. It has certainly been a learning experience for me. I expect this to be a very long process and one that may bring out many more issues than what first had appeared.

Even though I would probably disagree with some of your solutions I'm sure, Good luck on your mission Willy...fighting an entrenched system is no easy task and a thankless one at that.

As far as the entire department quitting, well without knowing the whole story I can't say I endorse such a move no matter how much politics are involved. But then again I'm not one to quit regardless of the obstacles. In fact the thicker the wall the harder I push...or go over, under or around. There's always a way to set things right and get things done....quitting is rarely one of them IMHO.

Pete, aka "FFPGogs", The concerns are much deeper than I ever expected. If changes don't come about soon, under current conditions, the City and it's fire department leaders are leaving themselves wide open for some legal action to be taken. In addition people, including firefighters could get hurt or worse.

I do believe this entire project is going to take much longer than I first expected. Facts are coming out that go much deeper than originally thought. When the lives of citizens, as well as ALL firefighters, are put at risk, something must change to correct such a serious issue. A simple answer has been put right in front of them, but some refuse to accept it. As I see it in this early stage, the blame goes directly on the local politicians and the leaders of the fire service. And NOT at all on it's firefighters, who are out there doing the job required of them.

At this point, nothing else really can be said.

FFPCogs likes this

Funny, when I read this and the accompanying article, I didn't think politics = politicians.  I read that as politics = the BS and drama that is internal company/department politics. 

Perceptions vary.