Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Westchester Fire Trivia

178 posts in this topic

how many dispatchers have there been at 60 control (fulltime) since they first started back in 1983? BONUS QUESTION_ name them with the assigned 6___ #!

What year did the Fire Training Center Open In Valhalla?

1979 8)

I have some Photo slides of the inside of the training center dated Nov 1979.They show the drafting pit in the apparatus room. The center is brand new.

Eng 86 (Union Hose)& Ossining Eng 101 (Independant Hose#6)are using the facility probably for the first time ever !

8)

In the mid 60's the engine numbers 134 (1948 Chevy-Boyer), 135 (1941 Mack), and 136 (1954 Oren), were assigned to Lake Mohegan. The 1939 Diamond T rescue's number was Rescue 22. The 250 series nos. came later.

I guess Mohegan grabbed 134 and 135 from Somers when the 1940 Diamond T (E-134) was redesignated Engine 180 and the 1943 Ford (E-135) was redesignated Engine 185 in 1958.

OK, here's your answer: Since 1983, there have been 63 Dispatchers.

Bonus:

602: "Hap"

603: Billy, George & Garrett

604: Mark

605: Tom, Tina & Paul

606: Bob, Richie, Donald & Jeannie

607: George & Marty

608: Jimmy

609: Jodi & Dave

610: Bob & Kenny

611: Don & Rob

612: Willy

613: Dan & John

614: Glen

615: Marc & Santo

616: Jimmy & Billy

617: Tommy

618: John

619: Terry

620: Angelo, Brian & Seth

621: Joyce

622: Ray

623: John & Greg

624: Bob & Keith

625: Shannon & Bobby

626: Jenn

627: Ali

628: Vicky

629: Gina

630: Manny & Ricky

631: Billy

632: Lisa

633: Susan

634: Lisa

635: No one other than the man himself...*Seth*

636: John & Dave

637: Monique

638: Trudy

639: Joe

640: Karyn

641: Tammy

642: John

643: Rob

644: Dave

645: Kyle

646: Chris

WOW!!! AWESOME JOB GINA!!!! :D =D>

You get the next question!

wow,great job answering that one,I know you must have had some help and probably had some laughs!

Seeing how this died about 8 months ago, I'll try to rekindle it-

Who has the oldest Fire Department/ Company, continuously operating in Westchester?

I guess it's Ossining Ladder 42- I just saw it in the "Sites worth visiting" page- hey, it's been a busy day!!!

Allright- try this one-

What Fire Departments/ Companies were organized from 1930 to 1940?

Bedford Village FD ?

I really don't know the answer- I'm trying to stir up some minds. I'm sure chris498 will have some answers.

Two I know-

Somers was organized in 1931 as the Amawalk-Shenorock VFD.

Buchanan Engine Company was formed in 1940.

And the Answer is...........................

Washington H&L Co., No. 2 of Ossining, Organised 1813/ Ladder 42

Followed by Reliance E&H Co., No. 1 of Port Chester Organised 1823/ Engine 60

After that I believe Columbian Eng. Co., No. 1 of Peekskill is next and don't quote me on this one but I believe they were organised in 1828.

As to the 1930- 1940 question I believe the Purchase FD was organised in the 1930's

What about the first known fire department EVER in Westchester? Doesn't need to be around anymore, just wondering who was first.

A toughie, but I still believe Ossining takes the cake on this one. The only question would be concerning the departments of old lower Westchester *( The Bronx). While the dates that they were absorbed by the FDNY are well known, the early records of these departments have for the most part all disappeared. If any department were older than Ossining my money would have to be on The Mott Haven FD which merged in 1856 with the Melrose FD to form the Morrisania FD. The current "big city departments" of Westchester weren't organised until the mid 1850's to the early 1860's.

* FYI/ Lower Westchester County was absorbed by the County of New York in two land grabs beginning in 1874 and then again in the late 1890's and cosolidation in 1901 into the City Of Greater New York.

Reliance E & H was originally formed as Clinton Engine co.

The Mott Haven FD which merged in 1856 with the Melrose FD to form the Morrisania FD.

Okay I give up. Where is that? None of the names ring a bell, but then again I'm not big on the old history of the "old south westchester".

Mott Haven was in the Town of Morrisania, part of what is now the South Bronx. Begining in 1874 with Morrisania most what was then southern Westchester began voting on annexation by NYC. Our county derives it's name from the Town of Westchester also now part of the Bronx. West Farms a village in southern Westchester formed the first fire company in the Bronx section of Westchester in 1851. Prior to the organization of the West Farms company the closest protection was in Harlem!!!!

Morrisanian's formed their first company "Lady Washington" later that year. By 1856 there were fire companies in Mott Haven, Melrose, and Morrisania that were incorporated into a "new" Morrisania Town Fire Department". This bunch was well known for the fierce rivalry that raged between the companies; a factor that would ultimately lead to community leaders decisions to be annexed in 1874 by NYC, in hopes of recieving better protection.

Ultimately, Ossining was the first fire company formed in Westchester County dating back to 1812. I have a good deal of info on this subject that I have researched in depth. I will post the dates of organiztion for all W.C. fire companies when I get to work tomarrow. Until then, I hope this helps.

Reliance E & H was originally formed as Clinton Engine co.

The name was changed in 1874 to Reliance it operated from

1823 to 1874 as Clinton Engine Co., No.1 

1874 to 1886 as Reliance Engine Co., No. 1

1886 to  Present as Reliance Engine & Hose Co., No. 1 

Washington H. & L. Co., No. 2  of  Ossining was originally organised as Washington Engine Co., No. 1

What year was Ladder 45 in Peekskill organized. I thought they were pretty old too :-k

Anyone interested in the volunteer companies of the part of Westchester absorbed by NYC, go to NYFD.com and find the our history link. It will give you not only the " Bronx" depts. but also Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

It's an eye opener for people who don't know the early history of the fire service in Westchester. So many depts. just forgotten by us today. Places that are only sections or neighborhoods of the city that were once thriving towns and villages each with their own fire departments and now forgotten histories.

Anyone interested in the current volunteer companies in NY, The firemens association of the City of New York has or had a web site until recently.

Here's another question although I don't know if it qualifies as trivia since I don't know the answer myself. Mr. Moderator, it's your decision.

What is the oldest firehouse in westchester still in current use as an actual firehouse?

It would have to be older than 1906 which is the year Port Chester HQ. was built.

I believe Ossining Fire Departments Senate H&L and Steamer firehouses are the oldest. Both firehouses were built in the 1880's. Steamer's firehouse is still very active while Senate's I'm not sure how active it is with the arrival of their new truck.

FYI - Ossining Steamer Co. #1 (not the Village of Ossining) owns the building where Senate and Steamer are located. Independent Hose Co. #6 also owns their building. All other OFD buildings are owned by the Village.

Senate H&L is now located at Holla Hose Firehouse on Lafayette Avenue until the new HQ Building on State Street is completed.

i have a very simple one that will stump chrism498.......

When operating at a brush fire, driving a 1984 pierce/ford custom deluxe 30, hitting a tree will result in the manpower being thrown from the vehicle..........true or false

Uh...... Chevy Deluxe 30 I think you mean...... oh, and the answer is false, they jumped.

New question ...

What Westchester County community (Village ,City OR Town) Hosted The 125th Anniversary FASNY PARADE held August 23, 1997.

The event included approx. 5,000 Firefighters 1,000 fire vehicles from throughout NY state.

One of the photos in the Gannett paper shows members of the Peekskill FD marching in the Firemen's Association of the State of NY. parade and Ardsley FD's Eng 242 ol' Betsy Driven by TK sr.

White Plains ???

Edward Smith

Captain (2254)

Millwood Fire Company

White Plains. I shot almost 200 images at that parade. Good one.

It was White Plains. I remember because Engine 119 won the "Best Engine/Pumper" trophy. Needless to say it shocked the $hit out of all of us!

But, she's still not good enough for the Local "Judges."

Definitely White Plains, I was driving Engine 188.