Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Black Gear or Tan Gear

40 posts in this topic

Just wanted to start a friendly chat, as if there wasn't enough on here already. Which type and or what color type of PPE do you prefer? Personally I don't care black tan gold whatever! As long as it gets the job done. Once again just wanted to know people's opinions out there.

For looks, I prefer black. It's more traditional. I've never used tan gear, so I'm not going to discredit it. I honestly can't say which one I prefer for performance.

Most states that are in a warmer climate use lighter color gear to try to keep the FF's alittle cooler. The lighter gear doesnt attrack the sun/heat as much as the black.

Tan Tan Tan Tan Tan

As someone said and we all know it doesn't absorb heat as much as black gear. With thermal stress every few degrees counts.

Second, I've heard people say that they buy black gear because it hides the "dirt and grime" better. lol. First your suppose to clean it, unless you want to hide contaminants that can harm you. Bull$hit. What I love more is when a chief uses that but meanwhile his equipment is haphazard and barely even servicable. I'm worried about if the gear looks dirty, but I buy white gear for myself (well guess it depends on if they will go in if that gets dirty), have no policy on what my personnel wears when calls come in under it when they take their jackets off, but I need black gear to hide dirt.

Tradition? Who gives a $hit about its a tradition. Traditions are made to be broken. Just another fine example of fire service in the northeast. "We got money to order new gear." "Cool, hey I think we should switch to tan for xyz reasons." "Tan? We will never wear tan, we've always worn black."

Another tradition to remind you where you were, where you still are and where you should be based on facts!

Tan is the natural color of the fabric, to make it black actually decreases the wear life. Tan has better visibility. Tan significantly less heat absorption. I get to wear black gear. WHOOPEE

I've always worn black, but wouldn't mind switching to tan.

As someone who lacks good night vision, It may make my life a bit easier to see everyone if they were wearing lighter colored gear.

But I think we're going back in time, because many Chiefs are going from their white coats BACK to black ones. If you want to look like one of the gang, then just WEAR YOUR GEAR - that'll do it!

Just like lime green fire apparatus, tan (or yellowish) gear not only looks better, it's more visible.

Black to me looks the best, Traditional is more the reason. Have heard alot of positive feedback from Departments who switched from black to Tan, PBI Gold, Etc. about how much cooler they are in the lighter color gear. The Natural color I think its called that Katonah & Bedford Village wears is also pretty good looking aswell.

Just like lime green fire apparatus, tan gear not only looks better, it's more visible.

Suckup! LoL

Damn. I thought this thread was about beer. I'm disappointed. :angry:

Damn. I thought this thread was about beer. I'm disappointed. :(

I thought I was the only one...lol.

I despise black gear, it it way too attractive to heat. Please someone covince my chief to buy lighter couloured, breathable gear.

HAHA I knew i would get someone with a beer comment, anyway i've worn black and tan gear on similarly hot days and really dont notice a difference, my personal experience doesnt show there is a difference in heat, looks so far that more people prefer tan or light color over black gear.

Edited by cas2383

Does really matter what color it is?...as far as heat goes and the darker colors being hotter....the fire is still gonna be hot no matter what color your wearing!

Yes the fire is hot. However you can control how long your in the environment with air supply.

You cannot control direct sunlight which black gear in direct sunlight can add upwards of over 15 degrees to the heat index and tan 10 to 15.

Breaking tradition is like trying to break lexan. You have to keep beating on it till it weakens and you bust through.

How come I am finding my self aggreeing with ALSFirefighter again some how we are on the same wave length--- and Im not sucking up!!!!! he has a wonderfull way of expressing things--and more times then no hes right on the money---and money is what its all about!!

Firecapt and ALS are 100 % right, as someone who has had Black for over 20 years and now Tan I agree, the tradition here is Black, no dig on our brothers in the FDNY but they have had black gear for ages and its carried over to the adjoining counties. Look out in LA, they use Tan. Many big departments all over the US use tan today. The few degrees it saves in the heat index gives you a few more operating minutes and with all our departments who know the limited manpower we all have a few minutes from each of us goes a long way. Screw tradition, how many departments don't use LEATHER helmusts today.

You say Black hides dirt, well for those of you who look at your gear and don’t see the buildup of dirt and grime, get new glasses, read your NFPA rules on PPE, read the tags that comes with your gear. You wash your clothes right? There’s more to maintaining your equipment that just your rigs, you must maintain your PPE, a little blood from the PIAA, “Biohazard” oil and grease from the accident are also a hazard. The dirt and dust from a recent structure fire are also going to limit the life of your gear. Stop wearing dirt as a badge of experience. Proper PPE maintenance calls for periodic cleaning. I think most of us like clean rigs, well gear is just as important. Go 6 months without cleaning your clothes and see who talks to you.

And for those of you who think I don't have a sense of humor, Black and Tan goes great with a 25 year old scotch.

Go 6 months without cleaning your clothes and see who talks to you.

6 MONTHS!! i cant go 3 weeks without my gear smelling like horrible B.O.

Any natural color fiber is the way to go whether its Pbi, Pbi Matrix, Pbi Plus, Fusion, or Milenia. (Gold advance is dyed so its not a natural fiber also because its dyed it has poor color fastness & UV rays attack it easily because if all the kevlar in the mix) These materials are great because they do show wear and as for the cleaning I'll agree with everyone about biohazards but also the soot and dirt does not allow the gear to work as a system like its designed. The liner is meant to breath so soiled gear's THL (total heat loss) is reduced and it adds stress to the wearer. A soiled or contaminated moisture or thermal barrier can also pose a problem because of liquid getting through to the user. I have personally used black my whole life so the heat thing is kinda a moot point because it you'vr never known better, kinda like FD that still have steel & aluminum cylinders. But here's something to think about dept that are progressive and use a nice pbi shell or something but still put leather reinforcement on the gear. Leather is a pain to decon, absorbs moisture and increases working weight. Oh and LA uses yellow material and those stupid little hard hat helmets but thats another thread.

I currently wear tan gear as an explorer. When I started I was issued black gear and used it once, but my new gear arrived shortly after. My new gear is tan (Pbi), and I like it better. It's much cooler than the black gear, especially when standing in the sun.

The other problem with black gear is, it doesn't show dirt and ash as well as tan gear, this is very bad because you end up washing it less often. The issue with not washing gear is efficiency and health safety. Black soot absorbs heat, and therefore makes the gear you are wearing less efficient. The other problem soot covered gear is the fact that the hydrocarbons in the soot have been found to cause cancer. It's bad enough eating smoke, and getting to exposed to plenty of other things.

In my department we had both. We recently went back to black. There is no difference that tan is cooler than black. The only difference is dirt shows up better with tan :D

Color doesn't make a difference, what you have for the inners is what matters. I would wear either.

"Leather Forever"

In my department we had both.  We recently went back to black.  There is no difference that tan is cooler than black.  The only difference is dirt shows up better with tan :D

Color doesn't make a difference, what you have for the inners is what matters.  I would wear either.

"Leather Forever"

Just look at what you said here, "dirt shows up BETTER on tan." You should look at the manufacturers recomendations. Gear is dirty? Wash it. Dirty gear wears out sooner, contaminants can create safety problems, come on, This was said before that dirt on the gear is not a badge of experience or courage. Fight a fire, clean your gear just like you clean your rig and tools. PPE is a tool.

Just look at what you said here, "dirt shows up BETTER on tan." You should look at the manufacturers recomendations. Gear is dirty? Wash it. Dirty gear wears out sooner, contaminants can create safety problems, come on, This was said before that dirt on the gear is not a badge of experience or courage. Fight a fire, clean your gear just like you clean your rig and tools. PPE is a tool.

Geezzz I guess nobody can make a joke here, sorry. Note the smiley face.

If any of your gear is dirty, wash it. Pants, coat, boots, gloves, hood, and most importantly helmet. We have a melted helmet in a display case at the firehouse. It began to melt shortly after the firefighter entered a fire room. His helmet was filthy and began to absorb heat. His head began to get hot and he got out.

If it is such a big thing to have dirty gear, just make more calls. After getting it dirty, and washing it, then getting it dirty again, and washing it, the gear will eventually show wear and dirt, and make you look like a senior guy.

My SHFD gear is Black, Globe GX-7 with lime and silver trim.

I have had it since 2001. I agree 100% on keeping it clean, because it matters.

It has taken on a "well worn" look but is still in very good condition, because I have taken care of it.

Some people who have gotten new gear in the past few years have gotten Black Morning Pride FDNY-style and the most recent purchasers got Globe GX-treme in Tan.

My Henrico gear is Gold, Securidex Ultraflex with lime and silver trim.

It is still shiny because it is brand new but I have found that it softened and got more flexible, thus more comfortable quickly. The Division is BIG on maintaining your gear and require that it be washed every 6-months regardless of use. If it gets dirty or contaminated, they will issue you "temporary" gear while yours is cleaned and tested. They will also replace it every five years.

I wear Pro Warrington 14" Crosstech boots with both.

-cmc-

FWIW - Henrico also runs Lime Yellow apparatus. :rolleyes:

Edited by cmcolfax

As long as it protects you the color is not really important, the lighter colors dont absorb the heat like the black gear. Personally I like the black gear because of the long tradition of it, the light colored works for me too but it whatever you prefer.

i don't care what it looks like as long as it works. i mean yes the tan may be cooler and the black might show signs of wear better (ie. when your black gear starts to turn red, thats bad) i just wear what i am issued. black, tan, green, white, blue, whatever. as long as it is not pink. the important question is "does it work at making me and my crew safer?"

i love the PBI color, however, my firetruck is yellow, so my gear at the firehouse is yellow, period. of course, ive gotta have my set of black with no writing for when i buff during the winter months

alfonso....are you serious w/ the extra turnout gear for buffing?!