Followers 0
Guest HT1250

Croton -T10 Rollover 4-9-04

22 posts in this topic

Date: 4-9-04

Time: Appx. 0930

Location: Quaker Bridge Rd., In area of Gerlach park, Town Of Ossining

Description:

At appx. 0930 Croton FD was Dispatched to 1011 Quaker Bridge Road for a Resedental alarm, At appx, 0940 Tanker 10 Put out a distress signal that the had rolled over on quaker bridge road IAO Gerlach park, Town of Ossining pd, OFD & OVAC requested to scene for minor injuries and fluid spill

Is everyone okay? Gawd. Thats worse than the time Brewster rolled thier brand new ladder on the exit from 684 to 84. :sad:

So much for "First in, Last out"

But seriously, I glad no one was hurt seriously (name(s) withheld to protect the innocent, or not so innocent, whatever the case may be).

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

The drvier and passenger of T-10 are ok....

If anyone wants pictures, Email me.

Very sad photos. Damage looks pretty bad, but not quite a total loss. Is it going to be fixed or is it history?

This is the first i've heard about this today...may explain why everyone has been keying up my Nextel all day lol! (sleep is more important!). Anyway, i haven't heard who was aboard T10 at the time, but i know many of the guys from E119/T10, so i am glad to hear that there were no serious injuries! That is a monster of a truck, so just glad to hear everyone is okay and that there was nobody else involved. I hope a speedy recovery to all those involved!

Well it looks like Tanker 10 Croton is going down in the books as a piece of Croton FD history. There didn't seem to be any damage to the frame, however there was an extensive amount of body damage done to the front and rear of the truck. Very upsetting. :sad:

However, LUCKILY nobody was seriously injured in the accident and both personnel aboard Tanker 10 escaped the crash with just minor injuries.

You Can Always Buy a New Fire Truck!

FF Altamura Croton FD

Where did the Pix of T-10's Bad Day go? Glad to hear the crew is ok.

I think it was the correct move to take the pics offline because i feel if you left them up many people would be second guessing the driver or become "back-seat drivers"

The pictures are down temporarily, and it was completly my decision, out of respect of the members of E119/T10 and CFD.

I really don't like to post those types of photos, but due to the heavy demand, I will *reconsider* posting on Saturday.

I'm glad the crew was alright.

The main thing is that everyone was ok. Its unfortunate but these things do happen, as I well know.

Although, like I told the guys at work yesterday when that happens you have to do it by a tree or telephone pole, it will help keep you from rolling over. (that is a inside joke for those who know me).

when that happens you have to do it by a tree or telephone pole

This was worse. They did it by a sign that says "Slow, playground ahead". But as you said, the main thing is that everyone's ok.

glad to hear that the 2 firefighters are ok,just a little note that I feel that needs to be said,usually after an incident such as this we as firefighters are always ready to make comments about why,when,how things happen. without saying why,when,how or to add one more who, I never condemn the persons involved! i was taught a lesson years ago and till this day i still remember what i learned from an incident that happened at the fd that i was involved with at the time.a member of the dept. that i was with at the time had an accident with a rig,one of our fellow firefighters was busting the guys chops bigtime about damaging the apparatus. he was a little overboard where it got to the point where he was out of line. at first it was funny but he carried it to far. the following day the ****buster had an accident of his own. was it funny to him now? no-- in my career i have seen rigs go through doors,ladders ripped off,portable radio's run over,helmets run over(no head in it) and some other avoidable incidents, i don't say a word because it is not the right thing to do. IF YOU DRIVE A FIRETRUCK,EMS VEHICLE,POLICE CAR ETC.REMEMBER THIS! YOU ARE ONLY ON DECK,THE NEXT INCIDENT MAY BE YOU! I DON'T CARE HOW CAREFUL YOU THINK YOU ARE IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.LEARN FROM THE INCIDENTS THAT YOU MAY WITNESS,HEAR ABOUT AND BE THANKFUL THAT NOBODY IS HURT OR KILLED, BE SAFE -HUDSON

I think we can all agree it could happen to any of us.

Anyone who has read FEMA's "Safe Operation of Fire Tankers" would agree, it could have been worse.

Consider the statistics: an estimated 3% of fire vehicles in the United States are tankers. But they make up the highest percentage of fatal crashes (21.9%), followed by pumpers (20.0%). **

Not to take anything away from the driver, he's definately not "the new kid on the block", but the statisics speak for themselves.

**According to USFA/FEMA statistics from 1990 to 2001.

The photos are TEMPORARILY REPOSTED. Please read the message on the that page for further details.

It's with great hesitation (and sadness) we are posting these photos,since we do not beleive in promoting negative eventsin the fire service, however the decision was made after much discussion since photos have already been seen by many in the Journal News, News 12,email, etc The photos were originally taken down out of respect for the members of E119/T10 and CFD, but the decision was made to TEMPORARILY repost the photos due to extremly heavy demand from many sources. We wish the crew a speedy recovery

Related:Recent Jacksonville, FL Tanker Rollover

From JRFD.com

http://www.jfrd.com/images/Tanker%2031%20R...32304/index.htm

My personal feelings on this:

I'm very glad everbody was alright, physically at least, and wearing their seatbelts. I know many members from CFD E119/T10, and I know the pride they take in their company and its apparatus. It was just a sad fate that could have been bestowed on any of us. If any light can be made of this unfortunate accident, maybe we will see a pair of brand new Seagraves in Washington Engine.

Just a side note, I personally don't like seeing the pictures posted. But, the photos are out there in other ways already, and if anything, hopefully will remind people to always wear their seatbelt whenever they are in the apparatus.

This also adds fuel to my arguments against commercial chasis. I don't feel they handle as well as a custom chasis would carrying a large amount of water responding Code 3. It seems many of the tanker accident photos I see are commercial chasis vehicles. I know they represent the majority, but still those chasis are not really designed with the firefighter, or his/her emergency response manuvers in mind.

News12 is covering the story and has aired video of the wrecked T10. Like x635 said, the photos are out there in other ways, and now video as well...

If you go to news 12's website and look at the ticker it says: "Investigation continues as to why fire engine tipped over in Ossining"

What smart people.

Glad to hear everyone is okay. The rig can be replaced!! Lives can't.

Its very sad news to hear. T-10 was a very important piece of the "Tanker Shuttle System" in Westchester and I wish a speedy recovery to the crew!!!

Thanks, to all of you, for you ongoing support and understanding of this unfortunate incident.

More importantly, I will have more information very, very soon.

Again, thanks for your interest and support - ALL OF YOU.

Captain J. M. Munson

Washington Engine Co. No. 2

Croton, NY