Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maisela

Roto-Rays

23 posts in this topic

One thing you really don't see in Westchester County is the Roto-Ray. Anyone know of departments in the Westchester County area who have Roto-Rays on their apparatus? While we're on the subject, what do you guys think of them?

It seems people either love them or hate them, personally I'm a fan.

I'm pretty sure I saw it on one of the Westchester Police Trucks, it was white with red stripes on the side (looked like a white rescue truck). I think it was a bomb truck. I saw it up in East Fishkill the day of that Chemical problem at IBM over last summer.

I dont think there is any apparatus in Westchester that has them...but as far as i know ever since i saw Radnor PA's Rescue 15 with the roto-ray I fell in love with it. I wish they had them on rigs around here cause like you, I am a fan.

Like you said you either love them or hate them, I hate them. They look dangerous, what if someone were to go near one of them babies while spinning...?

Like you said you either love them or hate them, I hate them.  They look dangerous, what if someone were to go near one of them babies while spinning...?

The Westchester County Police Bomb Truck does have a Roto-Ray. To be honest, I think it is more of a conversation piece than an effective piece of lighting equipement.

Just out of curiousity for those that don't like the Roto-Ray, do you have the same thoughts on Mars lights? Some could make the statement that they're just conversation pieces too. It seems to me that the Roto-Ray puts off the same amount of warning power as a pair of Mars lights though.

Some could make the statement that they're just conversation pieces too.

I would have to say that not only is the roto a conversational piece but it is a highly effective piece of warning equipment. I can only recall seeing one unit in the Northampton county area with one (which is relatively new). Given the different positions that the light heads can be placed and the different color lenses that can be used all work to make this spinning, whirl-wind of a buff light the best (and awesome looking) piece of visual warning out there.

P.S. Nothing beats the Q2B.

We just ordered our first on our new tower. After seeing a few in D.C. I was sold on them. From 5-6 blocks away in full sunlight, its the only thing you see. This may be an eye catching thing vs. the lumens or other science behind light. As for safety, ours will stop spinning when the brake is set or truck is in N. Not sure if that's standard but it makes alot of sense. For now, until the cops freak out on us it will be red, white and green.

Well said. I believe that the roto-rays all stop when the vehicle is placed in neutral and the brake is applied. Unless you pull up and someone stands on the bumper while the truck is in drive, you should be OK. They also make an LED model which I have seen on some trucks from Virgina. They look nice on ambulances too.

Roto Rays are one of the oldest warning lights out there. I think they were developed in the 20's or 30's if I'm not mistaken. (Correct me if I'm wrong) They are effetive if used right. A lot of companies in PA and MD have them. DC has started to order all its new trucks with them. Having three lights different colors or atleast two of the same and one different make it more effective. The only think though is the price of them. Just like the Mars lights or Federal's old oscilasers.

Lighting effectiveness aside, here are my thoughts which focus on long term maintenance:

1. The light is sitting right above the front bumper and that location could be prone to breakage. Especially if there is a trash line mounted on front. Why not use flush mounted lighting?

2. LEDs while, more expensive up front, have substantially lower lifetime maintenance costs. I am in the process of replacing some incandescent and strobe lighting with LEDs on apparatus because the maintenance costs are lower.

3. I wonder about the fact that it is mechanical. How brone to breakage and how expensive is it to repair/replace after years of service.

I must of been asleep during the light 101 class. Can someone tell me what exactly is a Roto Ray and what is it's functional purpose? Thank you.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Its the 3 lights in the middle of the grill, they usally spin at a pretty good rate of speed.

post-369-1145038856.jpg

Edited by Plectron

Haworth here in Bergen County has a roto -ray on thier seagrave meanstick I for one like seen one in use for first time when i visited my sister when she was at U of M @ Collage Park Md in 1984

The following videos were filmed from the officer’s seat of Engine 23 of the Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department. In some parts of the second video, the Roto-Ray can be seen in the lower left hand corner. I’m not sure that it emits any distinct lighting pattern, particularly because of Engine 23’s extensive lighting package. Either way, I feel that it is more of a gaudy decoration than anything else and wouldn’t include it on my spec sheet.

Engine 23 Arriving on the Scene of a Vehicle Well Off

Engine 23 Enroute to Charles

Roto-Rays are great i don't know why anyone in westchester doesn't have then

The spin rate is 200 RMP.

They are great lights but yes, either u love them or hate them. Very Big in Penn. and Maryland.

Doesn't seem like you really need it. And also, as said before, seems prone to damage sticking off the grill like that. Looks cool for a parade truck...lol.

I like Roto-Rays.....it is very different and cool looking...although in Northern NJ Roto-Rays aren't very popular I don't think many if any have them....Roto-Rays are more popular is southern NJ.....I wish a town in Northern NJ would invest in some Roto-Rays :lol:

I visited Violetville, MD (Baltimore County) a few years back to take pics of the two pumpers Code 3 made models for. After the shoot (which, in and of itself, was far more than I'd bargained for to begin with), I was treated to a ride in the ALF. We went around a few blocks, and were enroute back to the station. Stopped at a light down the block from the firehouse, and there's a bunch of little kids playing in the yard of a nearby house. They all came running down to curbside when they saw the engine.

Now, around here, most kids would be jerking their fists up and down looking for a little air horn action. Not these kids. Every one of 'em had their arm straight out in front of them, making circular motions. You got it.....they wanted to see the Roto-Ray run! :lol: