Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GFD70

Mount Vernon - 4th Alarm

39 posts in this topic

BREAKING NEWS: Four-alarm fire in Mount Vernon store

(Original publication: February 7, 2007)

MOUNT VERNON - Firefighters are battling a four-alarm fire in a furniture store at Sandford Boulevard and Franklin Avenue.

The fire was reported shortly after 10 p.m. and is still not under control.

A Journal News/LoHud.com reporter and photographer are en route to the scene.

CHECK LOHUD.COM FOR UPDATES AND READ MORE ABOUT THIS STORY TOMORROW IN THE JOURNAL NEWS.

there is so much smoke from this job that there was thought to be a basement fire down the road and also a few departments out of the city have gone out for outside smoke. I think they are deffensive only now. I heard MV dispatcher come on the air and tell everyone to clear the building and that there was fire through the roof.

2329 requesting salvation army for coffee and support

Edited by Firefighter57

yea they have a couple master streams and ladder pipes in operation it sounds like now

BRRRRRRR!

I ended up wearing my hood and extrication gloves, lol. The scenery was beautiful....All the trees were white with snow and ice tongue.gif

Forgot my camera..... dry.gif . O welll. I left on the original disbatch after a report of heavy smoke in the area. The smoke pretty much covered the majority of the south side of MV even before water was flowed. What was sent to the possible basment fire?

Back to the shop for 3 truck sad.gif

I would go back but I have school tomorrow and im still frozen, good night!!!!

Nice Job Guys!!!!

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

My camra froze...Hope I didn't ruin it. got some good pic's though.

Greenville E151, Fairview L1, and Eastchester E31 were dispatched to the possible basement fire

Dammit! I was working last night and couldn't make it. It figures!

Great job Tommy,

I am glad one of us got there!

Great job Tommy,

I am glad one of us got there!

You can't say nobody called you!

DC Lang was at the board with Chief Everett and Doc from New Rochelle. Outstanding command job By DC Lang. The Brothers made a good push in the begining with no headway and heavy fire. DC lang made the call to evacuate and go to outside ops. We all went home last night safe, no point in getting jammed up in a deep building with very little windows to get lost in.

Am I mistaken or was there a county Battallion Chief there? Why, if any reason exists, did he not assume command? (I'm merely asking for the sake of knowledge, we don't have county cars in CT, I'd like to know why the Btn. went if he didn't take command)

The Battallions do not run the fire scene they serve as mutual aid coordinators. I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe they are called Battalion Coordinators, not Battallion Chiefs

The Battallions do not run the fire scene they serve as mutual aid coordinators.  I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe they are called Battalion Coordinators, not Battallion Chiefs

They were called "County Coordinators" at one time. Somehow at sometime the designation was changed but their function is to coordinate the Mutual Aid response. The IC is still run by the senior officer of the initial resonding department in this case DC Lang and Chief of Operations Everett from Mt Vernon

Any word on the cause of the fire yet?

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

just walked by and took a look. looked pretty nasty in there. you could very easily get jammed up. i am not sure but i looked as if the C side was build into the rock behind the building. The icicle covered trees were interesting. wish i have my camera but what you gonna do.

Nice Pics Shantz

Any reason why Yonkers or FDNY were not called in for mutual aid. White Plains seems like a long ride from Mt. Vernon.

Any reason why Yonkers or FDNY were not called in for mutual aid. White Plains seems like a long ride from Mt. Vernon.

FDNY is only called as an absolute last resort. Mt. Vernon frequently relies on mutual aide. A few years ago Yonkers got tired of being Mt. Vernon's 'west side engine and ladder' and in as many words said that they are to be the absolute last on the MA list.

I was just thinkin. One of those Ferrara strong arms would have been perfect for that job. Would the county ever consider purchasing one of those for jobs like that, that dont come around to often?

laugh.gifhuh.gif

Sure, why not. Just as quickly as they've updated the FC unit!! LOL

Not to suggest that your idea is a bad one, but it's a dream around here.

Edited by lfdR1

laugh.gif  huh.gif

Sure, why not.  Just as quickly as they've updated the FC unit!!  LOL

Not to suggest that your idea is a bad one, but it's a dream around here.

Field Com 1's replacement is on track and should be here in a couple weeks. And don't knock the current one - it has feelings too.

FDNY is only called as an absolute last resort. Mt. Vernon frequently relies on mutual aide. A few years ago Yonkers got tired of being Mt. Vernon's 'west side engine and ladder' and in as many words said that they are to be the absolute last on the MA list.

Last time FDNY was called for MA was 85 Bronx River Road.

Last time FDNY was called for MA was 85 Bronx River Road.

To Yonkers yes.

The deployment to Binghampton, NY for the flooding last year was technically an MA run. They have responded to NJ several times over the past year. The fire boats go across the river constantly to help out with pier fires. JCFD a couple of years ago asked for an entire 2nd alarm response fire a fire there and the Hi-Ex foam unit also went over last year.

Just last week, the FDNY Thawing Unit went over to assist in Hackensack at one of their multiples.

Just a few notes that not many know about.

To build on Nate's comment, it is a rare occurence that Bronx companies go north. It's also a pretty time consuming process. Before I can send anyone, I have to get permission from the COD or Citywide Command Chief. Aside from one automatic aid Box on the BRP, that's it. However, if I have something that I think may be on the side of the Westchester departments that we border, I make it a point to give that department a courtesy call to let them know we are responding to an incident that may be in their neck of the woods.

I'll have a full gallery up Sunday at OTJNY.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image