Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMM8240

Mamaroneck (Town of) Working Structure Fire

48 posts in this topic

Does anyone know any of the details or have any additional information about the working fire this morning at 1009 Old White Plains Rd.?

Thanks.

west harrison was also there as a fast team i have a video on my phone im trying to get it on the computer

Mutal Aid units:

Village E-40 L-20 U-9 2241 2243

Harrison TL-24 2162 2163

New Rochelle E-21 2302

West Harrison R-35 2502

Larchmont relocated 1 Engine to Town Of Mamaroneck HQ

Port Chester Relocated TL-2 to Village of Mamaroneck

I think that was it...

Did anyone get any pictures today?

I hope so. That'll probably be it for quite some time. :lol::P On a more serious note, how come Rye FD doesn't relocate a Ladder to the Village of Mamaroneck? They are closer aren't they?

Edited by FirNaTine

Ryes ladder was put on stand-by for all of harrison calls

Port Chester's ladder is 1st due to Village of Mamaroneck thats why we went down there

Edited by StOpGoBlUE

Port Chester's ladder is 1st due to Village of Mamaroneck thats why we went down there

Wouldn't it make more sense to have Rye 1st due to Mamaro and have Port Chester cover Rye?

do you know any body that would have some pics that would be cool

Wouldn't it make more sense to have Rye 1st due to Mamaro and have Port Chester cover Rye?

The mutual aid of the depts in question is as follows. Rye and Harrison and Rye and Port Chester. It really doesnt make any sense and I am not going to start a war. In my opinion, and please take it as that, is that Port Chester will get a better manpower response from Mamaroneck. I can not speak for the others. Years ago, Rye was first due to Port Chester.

Mutual Aid is a very grey area. Is it being called for additional personnel at the scene, another Engine for pumping, Ladder for elevated stream, Fast Team, etc. Then there is coverage for the department that is committed to an incident.

Sometimes closer is not the textbook answer to what is required (sufficient manning and timely response).

If Rye were to go to cover mamaroneck and have port chester cover rye why go in the cycle when port chester can directly cover mamaroneck and rye is ready for a call from harrison. I also could admit that Port Chester would have a bigger manpower turnout to mamaroneck but thats just my opinion.

Sometimes closer is not the textbook answer to what is required (sufficient manning and timely response).

Youre right.. I think its called skip dispatching or something like that.

Youre right.. I think its called skip dispatching or something like that.

Sometimes it's also called the "I don't like the guy next door, so let me call my son, brother, cousin or friend whose working even futher away and have them come over to play and get dirty" policy. Whose kidding who! Stop the B/S!

listen it has been that way for years port chester has always gone 1&1 with a laddder and engine to mamaroneck i dont know why but mayb you should keep your mouth shut on a subject that you dont belong talking about ,cause you have no idea what your talking about dont turn this into a bashing topic

How come every time there is a fire in the area of Rye or in Rye a mutual aid issue comes up. Whats the deal do you miss us or is it that you feels sorry for us. Which every the case is it is nice to know every one cares so much about us. Maybe if everyone would have a few more fires we could come and join the party ( just let us know what to bring).

I don't want to offend turk, or steve242, or any other of the Rye members on here because every volunteer dept goes through it's transition periods. The mutual aid agreements are in place. For whatever reason that someone is selected (manpower, equipment, location,) that is who is going to go. There have been many a, (shall I say) discussion on this site about mutual aid.....

Why do we keep starting this up???

I'm not bashing anyone either I wish we all could work togther like we're supposted to. Rember its up to the chiefs who comes and goes where. Remember "WE ARE THE SOUND SHORE, WE SHOULDNT BE FIGHTING"

Edited by DOC22

Why do we keep starting this up???

Seriously... isn't this thread about a fire in Town of Mamo? Not about mutual aid in the Sound Shore area?

its up to the chiefs

Bingo.

listen it has been that way for years port chester has always gone 1&1 with a laddder and engine to mamaroneck i dont know why but mayb you should keep your mouth shut on a subject that you dont belong talking about ,cause you have no idea what your talking about dont turn this into a bashing topic

Do the residents who we are supposed to be helping have any say in where mutual aid is coming from. I bet if the general public knew policies are in place that don't involve bringing in the closest mutual aid during the early critical minutes of a fire would not be very happy especially if someone is hurt , killed or their property is destroyed.

Mutual Aid should be coming from the closest jurisdiction not from the one we have the best relationship with Any department that has a written or dispatch policy that states they call a certain department that is not their neighbor for mutual aid is playing with fire. I would like to see the Chief explain his skipping a neighboring department for mutual aid when he is sitting on the stand during a civil lawsuit. How many Village administrations know that this type of policy exists in their fire department.

This is a dangerous policy that should be changed immediately.

Do the residents who we are supposed to be helping have any say in where mutual aid is coming from. I bet if the general public knew policies are in place that don't involve bringing in the closest mutual aid during the early critical minutes of a fire would not be very happy especially if someone is hurt , killed or their property is destroyed.

Mutual Aid should be coming from the closest jurisdiction not from the one we have the best relationship with Any department that has a written or dispatch policy that states they call a certain department that is not their neighbor for mutual aid is playing with fire. I would like to see the Chief explain his skipping a neighboring department for mutual aid when he is sitting on the stand during a civil lawsuit. How many Village administrations know that this type of policy exists in their fire department.

Lucky-Truckie had the best answer yet. It's the answer that is correct MOST of the time. There may be some abuses, but I doubt that to be the norm. Even in larger departments with many companies, it's not always the closest house responding. At times other companies are called because of specific equiptment or abilities. As for covering, the same is true. If you skip over someone elses response area, you spread out resources more evenly.

I have to agree with Turk and Steve how did a discussion on the Town of Mamaroneck Fire turn into a M/A topic and the City of Rye as the main dept here? If you guys miss us so much call us. We have 4 Engines and 2 Trucks so we would be more then happy to come to the party.

So lets get back to finding some pictures. I was on scene and I know I saw a volunteer taking some pretty extensive photos. I'm pretty sure he was planning on posting them? Anyone else have any?

We have spoke about this a million times here so why would you be walking the edge of a landmine here. First off mutual aid should not be called for the purpose of rescue. The first due companies will effect any and all rescues. Second off if said companies are making rescues and lose said structure it is the taxpayers fault not ours for not having proper staffing levels. Third and last why would you call for mutual aid from a volly dept and waste precious time when paid depts are only a phone call away.

Now on another topic I heard that there was no IC board set up at this fire is there any truth to that statement? I have been told by members of my job that they saw alot of white and red helmets there and everyone they asked there what needed to be done they were told this aint my show I am only here to help. When that many mutual aid depts show up to work it is critical to set up a board and have full control of all companies. Would someone from this fire please correct my statements if they are wrong. I am not starting a war here it is all about the safety of the Brothers.

Now on another topic I heard that there was no IC board set up at this fire is there any truth to that statement? I have been told by members of my job that they saw alot of white and red helmets there and everyone they asked there what needed to be done they were told this aint my show I am only here to help. When that many mutual aid depts show up to work it is critical to set up a board and have full control of all companies. Would someone from this fire please correct my statements if they are wrong. I am not starting a war here it is all about the safety of the Brothers.

No, the information that you recieved is definately incorrect. Yes, there was a command board set up, with the IC standing by right next to it.

although i cant give any info on this fire, I also have seen at a recent MA fire what seemed to me to be a lack of accountabilty.I agree and i hope we all agree accountability is key to all of us going home safe.Like you said the mutual aid companies showing up need to be kept track of. I think 4 or 5 Depts on scene heading in to a structure without a commandboard is very dangerous, and i know the smaller depts with 5 or 6 guys showing up on the initial alarm the commandboard is not a high priority putting the fire out and conducting searches are. But i also saw alot of white and red helmets and i hope someone was accounting for everyone but i dont think so.

Third and last why would you call for mutual aid from a volly dept and waste precious time when paid depts are only a phone call away.

That's constructive........ :blink:

Edited by towerladder2

Anybody that has been a member of the network for longer than 10 minutes should know that Westchester County has a bogus system (lack of) when it comes to the fire service. Volunteers dont have enough acitve members, career departments need more staffing, and everyone needs less apparatus and chiefs. These are facts that we all live with in Westchester. The county is simply there for us as a resource provider when they should have more decision making capabilities. Each department does what they want, when they want to... both career and volunteer. The crazy thing is there isnt a higher power to tell them otherwise. It goes as high up as the chief of the department and stops. Their is no county policy because nobody wants to be told what to do. Nobody that works/volunteers in this county has the right to talk about anyone, because their system is flawed... across the board.

Every time an opportunity comes up for members to express their bias opinions on the matter, they all jump on it. Both career and volunteer firefighters have tremendous pride in what they do, and nobody wants to be told that what they did was not the right thing.

This is Westchester:

Team A- 3 Career firefighter on an engine... "out the door" but not enough members

Team B- 6 Volunteer firefighters on an engine... proper staffing (if qualified, but what does qualified mean?) but has to assemble

Team C- 6 Volunteer firefighters on an engine + 8 POV with firefighers to the scene.. same qualification comment + why all the manpower? ask for an engine, get an engine...

Nobody has the correct system so just drop it

Anyone interested in seeing how Westchester should be...

CLICK BELOW

Prince George's County Fire Department - Standard Response/Dispatch Procedures

Prince George's County Fire Department - Staffing Availability/Tracking

Dont be ignorant... read it before jumping up and down telling me that it cant happen, shouldnt happen, and wont happen.

Joseph Brefere Jr

Edited by JBJ1202