Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tampa, FL's New Tiller "Dinged" By Retirees

18 posts in this topic

Tampa Fire Rescue's New Ladder Truck Dinged

By Keith Morelli of The Tampa Tribune

Published: March 5, 2008

TAMPA The coming out party for a brand new Tampa Fire Rescue tiller truck was spoiled this week when a couple of retired firefighters — including former fire Chief Pete Botto — hopped into the $886,000 truck and jackknifed it, causing about $5,800 damage.

FULL STORY:http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar/05/ta.../?news-breaking

Well that was a pretty dumb thing to do anyone have any pictures of this truck it sounds like it looks beautiful

I was looking for photos also and couldn't find any. Searched every where, no luck.

Old timers had a 'Homer Simpson' moment.

D'OH! :blink:

Oh well, at least the damage was only athetics, not like we need that step there or compartment closed. :rolleyes:

Mike

"As far as I can tell in driving it," Botto said this afternoon, "you used to be able to swing the old tillers out wide. These don't swing out the way the others did." He said he might have jumped the gun in hopping into the cab and taking off.

We were just so gung-ho to get out there and drive it,

This illustrates why EVERYONE needs driver training. Just cause you have driven one before don't mean you know how this one drives.

He said one of the last times he drove a tiller truck was the day it snowed in Tampa, in January 1977. "They were a little different back then," he said. "This one not set up the way the old ones were."

So that last time he drove was 30 years ago.

Nice rig except for the font on the sign.

post-15386-1205019524.jpg

Now that would be a nice Code 3 model.........Lord knows they need something new to jump start that company...but thats another story for a another day.

Edited by Ladder47

Now who is going to be paying for the repairs to the tiller....the city or the retirees who broke it?

Now who is going to be paying for the repairs to the tiller....the city or the retirees who broke it?

According to the article, it'll be the city's tab. I personally would prefer for the retirees to pay for it, but what do I know? I'm only a minor. :rolleyes:

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

I am confused how the city has to pick up the tab, what were retired members doing driving the apparatus? That seems ridiculous to me!

I wonder who was there at the time of this incident. Will a Chief or Lt be held accountable for these Retired members actions?

It looks like it was a PR event gone wrong, lets get the old guys out, have a nice media event, crash bang, woops, the media are here !

Thats the same font the Tampa Bay Bucs use...

That is a very nice sign and I agree it looks very good on the side of the truck

That is a very nice sign and I agree it looks very good on the side of the truck

www.firepics.net is the correct address.

firepix.net has some...very nice indeed.

You'll need $2 to join the site - but it is worth it.