Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

FDMV - Promotions/Hiring - revisited

48 posts in this topic

A News 12 story broadcast this evening (Mon.Oct 6th) raises several questions, focusing on the City's hiring practices, particularly regarding background checks pertaining to new hires.

An allegation has been raised in the report which states that some of the new FD candidates may in fact have criminal records, and these blemishes were only discovered by the City 3 days after the individuals were actually sworn in.

The names of the individuals were not released on the newscast, but one of the individuals has what might be referred to as an extensive history.

Saw it too, 14 prior convictions. Someone dropped the ball if it turns out to be true.

Oh yeah???? Got that one beat. A certain federal fire department in Westchester had an Assistant Chief, now acting Chief, complete his background check form 15 years after he was hired.

No offense to the guys in this department, but didn't Bridgeport decide they would allow convicted felons to apply/work there?

All true and what a joke they skipped a Iraq war Veteran claiming he did not live in the City yeah thats true cause he has been in Iraq for several yrs.

Is it true that one of the individuals stole leather boots from AAA in White Plains and got caught? Or is that a roomer

s*** like this makes me mad, so many ppl do good their whole lifes including myself, never get in any trouble and then these assclowns get hired instaead of someone else with a clean backround....really says alot.........

I thought the checks had to be complete before offering a position...at least that was the case with my job.

background checks take a long time to complete. I am sure before the academy is finished someone's skeletons in their closet are going to fall out. They will either be asked to leave, or they will get a shiny new pair of bracelets for an active warrant. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard of people getting locked up in the academy (both fire and police).

As Fire Commissioner Young stated,"they will remain on the job and everyone deserves a 2nd chance" ,i meant Fire Commissioner Lighty, when you are in an appointed position you are in the hands of the mayor and from what was said on news 12 by the former union president there is nothing more obvious than this!

I am all for a second chance,

no one is perfect.

We all make mistakes and sometimes use poor judgement

but 14 CONVICTIONS?

Are you kidding me?

I haven't filled out a job application in several decades, (and don't plan to, anytime soon, either)

but isn't there a line where they usually ask:

Have you ever been arrested, or convicted of a crime?

And if yes, give details?

For MV officials to act surprised speaks volumes...

I haven't filled out a job application in several decades, (and don't plan to, anytime soon, either) but isn't there a line where they usually ask: Have you ever been arrested, or convicted of a crime?

They also tell you that if you need more space to write, turn over and write on the back.

They also tell you that if you need more space to write, turn over and write on the back.

Do you know that from personal experience ??????

Why is everyone so surprised? This is nothing new not just for FDMV but FD's all over the nation. I think it was a Dept. in Florida that hired a guy who had done time for murder. This has been going on for yrs. in many places not just the Vern. Just take a look at FDMV's application for the Job. They welcome everyone, whether you have a High School Diploma/GED or not, and/or a felony conviction. Nobody is discriminated against, except those of course who actually care about their Job and show an interest in it. Once again, a big thanks to all you "bleeding heart liberals" and "Affirmative Action" advocates for destroying what was once a well respected and honorable profession. The Fire service has become nothing but a "Yob" now to many. I guess the chickens really did come home to roost! P.S. What does Big Al have to say about all of this? Where's he been hiding?

Edited by FirNaTine

background checks take a long time to complete. I am sure before the academy is finished someone's skeletons in their closet are going to fall out. They will either be asked to leave, or they will get a shiny new pair of bracelets for an active warrant. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard of people getting locked up in the academy (both fire and police).

You are 100% correct. I taught at the police academy in the city for a few years. We used to laugh in the first couple of weeks in the academy about how many recruits we would lose b/c of drug test results, criminal history stuff and background investigations. One day they were there, the next day they were gone.

Always amused, never surprised!

This latest turn of events is a slap in the face of anyone on that job who processed. Kept out of trouble and got passed over so they could hire these skells. It's only a matter of time before their criminal records become public. That is if it's looked into deep enough. News 12 has a way of being selective in what it covers, and what is DOES NOT cover.

This whole background check after one starts the job is nothing new I have to say. It happens in police departments sometimes. This usually happens when their is a large class hired, and they are being pushed to have enough bodies for a class with a starting date too close by. I'm talking hireing 1000+ people at a time though. Not nine. I will tell you this though. When their background pops. They are done....

I feel bad for the guys that got passed over so a skell coiuld get their job. Better luck next time.

Once again, a big thanks to all you "bleeding heart liberals" and "Affirmative Action" advocates for destroying what was once a well respected and honorable profession. The Fire service has become nothing but a "Yob" now to many.

Is this really a issue because of B.H.Liberals and Affirmative Action or a Mt. Vernon issue? If you say the 1st, then explain why this is not the same problem in NR, WP & Yonkers...particularly since we were all in the same federal consent decree?

Just heard on the scanner that MVPD is chasing a pair of leather firefighting boots eastbound on 3rd street! possible destination is north white plains???

You are 100% correct. I taught at the police academy in the city for a few years. We used to laugh in the first couple of weeks in the academy about how many recruits we would lose b/c of drug test results, criminal history stuff and background investigations. One day they were there, the next day they were gone.

Always amused, never surprised!

except in Mt Vernon, the background checks are here and so still are the 3 recruits, so it didnt really matter what the background was going to uncover it seems.

I'll bet if someone ran background checks of everyone in Mt Vernon City hall we'd find a lot of people with records.

Is this really a issue because of B.H.Liberals and Affirmative Action or a Mt. Vernon issue? If you say the 1st, then explain why this is not the same problem in NR, WP & Yonkers...particularly since we were all in the same federal consent decree?

Because your Dept. and the others didn't sell their souls as much in lowering the standards to reach quotas. FDMV did, to get their share of $$$$$$ from the Government. This started back in the late 70's Bnechis before you were ever on NRFD and I already started my career, so you really don't know about this topic as much as I do. I suggest you take a back seat on this one, cause I got the facts. I lived them and we're a casualty of them. I also heard your Dept. has recently experienced alot of controversy and tension as a result of individuals getting skipped for Promotions because of extended Promotional Lists, something your Dept. really never experienced. Well welcome to the real world pal! Let's see how you guys now deal with the dissention among the ranks! Maybe we should Regionalize. Yeah that's the answer! That'll solve everything!

Edited by FirNaTine

Dont these dept. do finger printing??????

Because your Dept. and the others didn't sell their souls as much in lowering the standards to reach quotas. FDMV did, to get their share of $$$$$$ from the Government.

What share of $$$.....there were no funds attached to the desent decrees

This started back in the late 70's Bnechis before you were ever on NRFD and I already started my career, so you really don't know about this topic as much as I do. I suggest you take a back seat on this one, cause I got the facts. I lived them and we're a casualty of them.

NR was the 1st of the 6 government agencies to agree to the decree and that was in 1981. So while it may have started in the 70's it did not take affect until the 1980's. And your right I was not on NRFD then, but I'm not convinced you were on the job with MVFD then either. Your profile says your 35-44 which would mean you were born in 1964 - 1972 so you would have turned 18 in 1982-1990 so in the 1970's you were still in high school. I am well aware of the topic, I've read all the court papers have you? I also was also a casualtiy and was delayed in getting hired because of the decree.

I also heard your Dept. has recently experienced alot of controversy and tension as a result of individuals getting skipped for Promotions because of extended Promotional Lists, something your Dept. really never experienced. Well welcome to the real world pal! Let's see how you guys now deal with the dissention among the ranks! Maybe we should Regionalize. Yeah that's the answer! That'll solve everything!

1) Not one individual was skipped.

2) The list was not extended.

3) Good thing you got all the facts. Not!

4) You are right, lets not regionalize ....lets leave everything the way it is...that way everyone can complain about it on EMTBravo for the next 40 years, because your only other answer is they should just fork out more $$$$$ to make everything perfect and everyone knows that will never happen.

And I went thru the Westchester Academy 25yrs. ago and can tell ya things have definitely changed.

You need to get all of your facts straight. Your age, When you got on the job, Which job, and when you went thru training. Oh about that...you went thru the academy 2 years before the 1st class. Hard to believe you got "all the facts"

What share of $$$.....there were no funds attached to the desent decrees

NR was the 1st of the 6 government agencies to agree to the decree and that was in 1981. So while it may have started in the 70's it did not take affect until the 1980's. And your right I was not on NRFD then, but I'm not convinced you were on the job with MVFD then either. Your profile says your 35-44 which would mean you were born in 1964 - 1972 so you would have turned 18 in 1982-1990 so in the 1970's you were still in high school. I am well aware of the topic, I've read all the court papers have you? I also was also a casualtiy and was delayed in getting hired because of the decree.

1) Not one individual was skipped.

2) The list was not extended.

3) Good thing you got all the facts. Not!

4) You are right, lets not regionalize ....lets leave everything the way it is...that way everyone can complain about it on EMTBravo for the next 40 years, because your only other answer is they should just fork out more $$$$$ to make everything perfect and everyone knows that will never happen.

You need to get all of your facts straight. Your age, When you got on the job, Which job, and when you went thru training. Oh about that...you went thru the academy 2 years before the 1st class. Hard to believe you got "all the facts"

First off don't believe everything you read. Maybe it's time I edit my profile. Secondly, not all Depts. agreed to accept each and every condition put forth in the Decree. Some accepted more then others which yes $$$$$ was received by those who sold their soul for the whole package. I have read the Decree and particularly like the conditions on "swimming", which your Dept. actually once required. Thirdly, while the 1st official Academy Class was yes in deed in 1986, many a Dept was utilizing the facilities at the Academy just prior to this with other Depts. and their Instructors, who assisted each other. I guess you could say it was a half a**, unofficial academy class. Fourth, you're going to tell me a recent LTS.List for your Dept. wasn't extended to reach a certain individual? If not I stand corrected but that's not what I've been told by many a member of your Dept., so maybe they should get their facts straight! Have a great day, stay safe and remember 'QTIP" as Chief Flynn puts it. ;)

I just attended the Fire Academy this past weekend and took "Legal Issues for the Volunteer Fire Service". While this particular topic deals with a career department, I belive what I learned is true for both. NYS Corrections Law forbids discriminationin "hiring" based on a criminal conviction in the past unless "the crime is related to the job being perfomed". The way it was explained to us, a past burglary conviction could bar "employment" (again, it was geared toward volunteer agencies) as a firefighter. due to the nature of our job.

Edited by EJS1810

Dont these dept. do finger printing??????

Sounds like finger printing was already done, in some cases 14 times! :blink:

First off don't believe everything you read. Maybe it's time I edit my profile. Secondly, not all Depts. agreed to accept each and every condition put forth in the Decree. Some accepted more then others which yes $$$$$ was received by those who sold their soul for the whole package. I have read the Decree and particularly like the conditions on "swimming", which your Dept. actually once required. Thirdly, while the 1st official Academy Class was yes in deed in 1986, many a Dept was utilizing the facilities at the Academy just prior to this with other Depts. and their Instructors, who assisted each other. I guess you could say it was a half a**, unofficial academy class. Fourth, you're going to tell me a recent LTS.List for your Dept. wasn't extended to reach a certain individual? If not I stand corrected but that's not what I've been told by many a member of your Dept., so maybe they should get their facts straight! Have a great day, stay safe and remember 'QTIP" as Chief Flynn puts it. ;)

Our list was not extended. The recent promotions were to increase officers in company. The positions have been talked about for at least 2 lists now and they came up on this one that expired at the end of Sept. Now why they were made off of this list is what the latest talk is about. All I know is we have more officers now than in the past. There is always more to the story than what is heard and I don't feel as though EMTBravo is the place to talk about our "dirty laundry". More officers mean more supervision and that is what our union wanted.

I am also curious to know what "swimming is". You can PM me or post it to the public if you don't mind.