Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon Ladder Status as of 11-17-08

33 posts in this topic

As of 11-17-08, the EMTBravo.net Central Intelligence Unit is reporting based on credible leads:

FDMV is down to 1 truck for the entire city.

Ladder 2 (1998 Seagrave 100' RM) failed its ladder test

Ladder 3 (1993 E-One Hurricane 95' RM Tower) failed it's ladder test

The Mack/Baker Aerialscope (Former West Harrison) is dead.

The only truck running in the city right now, and barely, is the 2004 Seagrave 95' Aerialscope Ladder 1.

No plans to repair or replace any of the OOS trucks at this time due to "funding issues".

Also please note other thread on MVFD's mutual aid issues.

A DENSELY POPULATED CITY WITH 80,000+ PEOPLE IN 4 SQUARE MILES, MANY IN PACKED OCCUPIED MULTIPLE WOOD FRAME AND MULTI LEVEL DWELLINGS HAS ONLY ONE TRUCK COMPANY!!!!

At least the ladders failed during testing and not during a fire....

And will we see any of this in The Journal Snooze?

And will we see any of this in The Journal Snooze?

Yeah,probably right after the next time they're checking out the Incident Alert page ;)

How is it possible that MVFD is only running with one truck?? Unreal. Have to love the buerocratic garbage with "no money."

As a member of West Harrison, sorry to say that our former TL9 is dead. What seems to be the problem with it?

If they both failed there ladder test, Are they both still able/eligable to respond and be used for manpower, ground ladders, and other crucial truck company tools? Or since they failed they cant be used at all fearing further danger of failing? Alot of times the stick or platform cant be used b/c of wires, trees, etc so...

Either way, hopefully they can get this problem taken care of as soon as possible.

Edited by NoFearFD

Let's see how long before they start asking for 39 Truck, 51 Truck, and 32 Truck for mutual aid.

When Ptlham got the new Ladder 2 did they put the Bus sign in the from so it can show "#7 10-26 Mount Vernon Express"

I hope the brothers stay safe........

If they both failed there ladder test, Are they both still able/eligable to respond and be used for manpower, ground ladders, and other crucial truck company tools? Or since they failed they cant be used at all fearing further danger of failing? Alot of times the stick or platform cant be used b/c of wires, trees, etc so...

While failing a ladder test generally does not prevent the vehicle from being driven (and used as a city service unit), its a very dangerous policy to do it. When you pull up to a fire with a mom holding her baby out the 5th floor window, what are you going to do? Even if it failed you'll put the stick up and run up it, great, you grap the kid then the ladder collapses.

or you dont put it up and the community is up in arms because you did not make the rescue.

If its O.O.S. keep it at the shop.

Since the Vern is down to 1 truck co. have they changed their apparatus assignment to incidents, such as lockouts, lift assists, stuck elevators, etc..etc.. Are they now sending Engine cos. on these calls or the Rescue?

What happens if MVFD is called somewhere like Eastchester or Scarsdale for m/a. What happens then, does the Vern strip the city of it's only truck?

This not only affects MV but the surronding communities who req Mt. Vernon for m/a.

Maybe New Rochelle can put magnets on L12 since it's workload in Mount Vernon may be on the rise? :blink:

NOT to switch topics however a few minutes ago Mt Vernon last ladder broke down, they now have NO ladders in Mt. Vernon

Anybody put on standby? I hope so. Remember last time they had no trucks in service on a cold night, I believe they had a multiple alarm. Good Luck fellas! Stay safe!

Wow so what are they going to do with no ladders? You can't have someone on standby indefinitely

Austin, TX FD is in the process of disposing of some spare Pierce 105' RM aerials (aerials built by Smeal). I hear you may be able to get a good deal.

With a little work, mainly enclosing the cab, refurbishing the interior, and some bodywork (paint) this truck still has life left in her and would be a god temporary fix for MVFD. I don't know about the drivetrain though, but it has been functioning as an active spare just fine from what I hear.

post-11-1227137062.jpg

BTW, what's the update on the current lader situation?

Several weeks back, it was reported on EMTBravo.net that the Mechanic and Captain from FDMV was in Yonkers testing the old YFD Ladder 78, that I believe was eventually sold at auction. Why doesnt' Mount Vernon ask Yonkers if they can "Borrow" on of their Spare Ladders (76, TL77 (The Old Mack Baker that was recently retired), 78, 79, TL80. or TL81) , similiar to what New Rochelle did when they were down to no spares. Now that would be "Mutual Aid" with no direct impact on YFD. If this realisitic?

Where in the world is their union on these issues?

Gee, one would wonder if FDMV will sign a waiver of liability agreement that FDNY will certainly want them to sign before they "lend" Mount Vernon a ladder truck. Time is counting down with the Cold Weather now in place. God willing, there will be no major fires in Mount Vernon this winter season. It would be horrible to hear that someone was caught on a roof or needed to be taken out of a window, and all of the Ladder Trucks from Mount Vernon were inoperable and could not be raised?

Isn't Ladder 4 an Old Mack Baker that they purchased as a used truck many years ago from another department. Is there a Statewide Fire Officer and/or Fire Fighters Union who could hold protests outside of Mount Vernon City Hall?

I am sure that the men of the FDMV are tired of working on apparatus that are not functional (or possibly safe) as are the municipalites surrounding Mount Vernon who are fed up with having to consistantly support the City of Mount Vernon because of poor management within the Mount Vernon Government Administration. If the citizens of Mount Vernon spent more time and effort to assist in supporting their Fire Department rather than spending all of thier effort in saving the High School Athletic Programs (imagine how much of Denzel Washington's personal contribution to the MVHS Athletic Program, would have helped in the purchase of a few new fire trucks).

Remember, you heard it here, first..... six days ago!

Just what I was thinking! The EMTBravo CIU Team broke the story- just like several other stories picked up by the media!! I just hope this time it results in some sort of resolution and is not just brushed off....

Keep those CIU tips coming!

The MVFD is obviously operating some ladder. I saw them responding to a job early this morning but couldn't tell you which (or whose) truck it was.

does anybody know where the MVFD repairshop is? :huh:

I believe that the FDMV Repair Shop is at Station 2 on Fulton Avenue (but not sure if any repairs are done at the DPW Garage). Does anyone know if FDMV was able to get a Spare Ladder on loan yet?

Gee, one would wonder if FDMV will sign a waiver of liability agreement that FDNY will certainly want them to sign before they "lend" Mount Vernon a ladder truck.

MVFD has if, memory serves, has borrowed rig(s) from FDNY before.

Is there a Statewide Fire Officer and/or Fire Fighters Union who could hold protests outside of Mount Vernon City Hall?

Yes, the NYSPFFA (NYS Professional Fire fighters association), which MV's union has elected not to participate with.

If the citizens of Mount Vernon spent more time and effort to assist in supporting their Fire Department rather than spending all of thier effort in saving the High School Athletic Programs (imagine how much of Denzel Washington's personal contribution to the MVHS Athletic Program, would have helped in the purchase of a few new fire trucks).

Not likely that the FD in MV will ever get more public support as long as the citizens feel that sports are the #1 priority.

MVFD has if, memory serves, has borrowed rig(s) from FDNY before.

First sign of old age.......lose of memory.........

First sign of old age.......lose of memory.........

Good thing I have you to show me the way

Does FDNY even have any spare ladders/towers left to loan out? For a while it seemed like a lot of FDNY units were using spares.

How did the in-service ladder situation (or lack there of) affect the 3 alarm fire last night?

How did the in-service ladder situation (or lack there of) affect the 3 alarm fire last night?

Well, a White Plains ladder ended up in Mount Vernon and Eastchester was the second due, so.....

Mount Vernon's total lack of caring for its infrastructure is almost criminal. You have fire stations literally condemned, obsolete trucks, 30 year old DPW equipment and an archaic Police fleet. What total mismanagement.

After having read the article in today's Journal News as well as viewing the On Line Video, that the Journal News shot at the fire scene, it appears that only FDMV Tower Ladder 1 was the only FDMV ladder apparatus at the scene (Based on EMTBravo.net reports earlier in the week, FDMV Tower Ladder 1 was the only Ladder Company in the city available to respond to call and "in-service"). Based on the video, it appears as if Eastchester FD provided an Aerial Ladder as the 2nd due latter to the incident (as it appears as if the EFD ladder was providing a Master Stream onto the house). I am not sure what additional ladder companies were either dispatched to the scene of the incident or dispatched to Mount Vernon for Station House "Stand By" as part of Mutual Aid? Based on the article in the JN "Neighboring" Fairview was dispatched to the scene and arrived about 1 hour after the initial alarm was sounded. Not sure if Fairview supplied an Ladder Truck (or an Engine Company or both) to either the scene or to cover the city during this fire. If anyone on EMTBravo.net has first hand knowledge of what companies worked the fire last night (both FDMV and Mutual Aid) as well as what companies were called in to help cover the city, we would appreciate being updated (rather than simply speculation based on newspaper articles)