Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

Website lists worst jobs in America

32 posts in this topic

I find that pretty shocking. I can see how it ranks so low, with long hours and low salary. But it is not taking into account how rewarding it can be.

Quote from link "None of these jobs require more than basic training and, in most cases, a strong back and large muscles".

Nice to see that it takes nothing more than alittle BASIC training to be an EMT.

Edited by markmets415

I find that pretty shocking. I can see how it ranks so low, with long hours and low salary. But it is not taking into account how rewarding it can be.

Shocking? Are you serious? There is nothing shocking about this - EMS is viewed as a meat wagon a "you call, we haul" service. Why? Because, from where sit, the vast majority of people don't give a crap about their life. They care about the monetary and material possessions. Why? Well, a lot of it has to do with a society that associates ones worth with the amount of material possession they own. Secondly, people want to have something to pass on to their relatives/next of kin.

That's a major reason why EMS doesn't get the funding it should (unlike FD and PD who primarily protect your property and valuables), the respect it should and recognition it should.

Sometimes i wonder, myself, if I've made the right career choice at this point in my life. I've got a BA and probably could be out making 50 - 60 K out there in some cushy office gig. But you have to be happy and i do love what i do. But, the problem is, unlike PD and FD, EMS is a JOB not a CAREER here in New York. Down south and out west it's a different ball game - a paramedic (and even an EMT) can make a nice living working in the street.

I discuss this all the time with my partners and people that i work with and it drives me nuts. I see people like Nita Lowey (who i wrote a 3 page letter to about how EMS is in dire straights because there is no incentive to go itno the field, and got no response) constantly standing in front of FDs or PDs or talking about grand money for this agency and that agency. That's great stuff - having well funded PDs and FDs is important but what about EMS? Our job is constantly, changing - new protocols, techniques, tools, studies come out, new drugs are developed. We are doing, in some cases, 5 times the runs of FD, get paid near nothing and have to recert every 3 years (state) and every year (mac). But just to get by you need to work 2 jobs so what time is there left for yourself or a family?

Someone i talked to about this suggested that everyone that works a second job stop - just for a month - and see what would happen. Maybe that's what it would take? I don't know.

Edited by Goose

Quote from link "None of these jobs require more than basic training and, in most cases, a strong back and large muscles".

Nice to see that it takes nothing more than alittle BASIC training to be an EMT.

It doesn't require anything more than a little basic training. If you're unemployed with no education see which career pops up. In 3 months you can have you can have your card and start shucking transports. Hell, even paramedic isn't a degree. Most PD and Fire jobs require college credits so people at least have to make the extra effort to get the job. All EMS requires is a card.

It doesn't require anything more than a little basic training. If you're unemployed with no education see which career pops up. In 3 months you can have you can have your card and start shucking transports. Hell, even paramedic isn't a degree. Most PD and Fire jobs require college credits so people at least have to make the extra effort to get the job. All EMS requires is a card.

WCC and DCC (i think also RCC, not sure) offer Associates Degrees in Applied Sciences - Paramedicine

I would venture to specify COMMERCIAL EMS is far worse than municipal EMS.....

Who's opinions are these? most of the people who have those jobs have them becuase it interests them therefore to them its fun. It was probably some stuck up people who work in large companies making loads of money at their 9 to 5 job who neglect to see the hard work that all those people put in to benefit the lives of others, who said look at these jobs that make half our salary those jobs must suck.

I'm not surprised at all. Talk to some of the old timers in career EMS jobs (not FD based EMS). If you can find anyone their usually burned out and miserable. At least that's what I've seen. If you're in the under 30 group and can't imagine this being true, just wait a few years.

I would venture to specify COMMERCIAL EMS is far worse than municipal EMS.....

Commercial EMS blows and, from where i stand, actually causes many problems because they allow municipalities take the easy way out when it comes to EMS.

EMS needs to be a thrid service paid for by the tax payers.

As far as a union - yeah, thats great on paper. But the second you utter the word union and a boss gets wind of it, kiss your a** goodbye. Besides, there isn't much in the way of across the boad sucessful EMS unions anyhow.

Several thoughts here. One, degrees. NY has to many of 'em. BUT, there is a State wide push for paramedics to get/be an AS. The Army recognises this. A paramedic goes into the National Guard as a WO-1.

Next. I LIKE my job. Yes, the management this, the towns that, yada yada yada, but the reality is I CHOOSE to do this. It paid for my graduate work so many years ago, and now, after I find that career less than thrilling, I am glad to be back full time.

Long hours. Yup. Even teachers if they are doing their jobs correctly, are putting in long hours in prep, staying upto date etc.

Rewards? I still blush when I think about the hug (alas -- no kiss :rolleyes: ) I got from some girl baby sitting her terminally ill brother who had a seizure & all went right. Paying the bills is nice, and I am doing that, but how do you top a great big hug from some kid in the middle of Vassar's ER?

Sorry, I think of this as the BEST career. I am too old to go running into burning buildings. Never wanted law enforcement -- something about Jonny Rotten having rights. Office work -- YUCK! So, it depends on your point of view.

The other good points, I will pass on. I have said too much lately. <_<

Rewards? I still blush when I think about the hug (alas -- no kiss :rolleyes: ) I got from some girl baby sitting her terminally ill brother who had a seizure & all went right. Paying the bills is nice, and I am doing that, but how do you top a great big hug from some kid in the middle of Vassar's ER?

Well if it would make you feel any better, I could always give you a big hug in the middle of Saints' ER???? :lol:

Shocking? Are you serious? There is nothing shocking about this - EMS is viewed as a meat wagon a "you call, we haul" service. Why? Because, from where sit, the vast majority of people don't give a crap about their life. They care about the monetary and material possessions.

I think in addition to what you said, it is also seen as a "meat wagon - you call we haul" service, because of some peoples attitudes, and presentation as such. We all know all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the barrel, and unfortunately in FD/PD/EMS, that is what happens. One FF accused/guilty of being an arsonist, we all are. One careless/carefree EMT/Medic, we're all reckless, one dirty cop, they're all dirty cops.

Its a sad state, but that is the world today.

I find it hard to believe that Crab fishing in the Bearing sea is not on the list

I find it hard to believe that Crab fishing in the Bearing sea is not on the list

or the people that clean out septic tanks

As far as a union - yeah, thats great on paper. But the second you utter the word union and a boss gets wind of it, kiss your a** goodbye. Besides, there isn't much in the way of across the boad sucessful EMS unions anyhow.

Its a violation of the National Labor Relations Act of 1934 to fire or retaliate against anyone who supports a union. If working conditions are as bad as some people claim, then they won't care too much about being fired or threatened during an organzing drive. Its normal for employers to resist unions as it means less control they have over the employees. You just need the proper mindset if you want to seriously organize.

Successful EMS unions are those who cater to EMS workers such as ASCFME, CWA, CESA, etc. The main problem is a vast masjority of commercial entities choose to remain non-union due to either fear or ignorance.

Edited by gamewell45

Those degrees are optional and generally provide no real benefit over just getting certified.

Between employer pressure against unions and the tendency of most people in EMS to see it as a temporary job rather than a career unions are a tough sell.

As a preface- Despite 30 years of progression, we are still all Ambulance Drivers in Joe the Plumber's eyes.

1. Public education and relations are the EMS professionals best friend.

2. As long as EMS professionals continue to accept being a "McJob" and don't make a proactive effort (see #1 above) the perception of the public will remain the same.

3. See # 1. Then do something about it.

Those degrees are optional and generally provide no real benefit over just getting certified.

Between employer pressure against unions and the tendency of most people in EMS to see it as a temporary job rather than a career unions are a tough sell.

I agree that its a tough sell. The employees really have to want it to happen and be willing to make sacrifices to achieve better working conditions and pay. I honestly believe that if they had better pay, benefits and working conditions, many of them wouldn't consider it a "temporary job".

Seriously though, why is garbageman on this list? Most make very solid money and work limited hours. It just shows that this site has no idea what its talking about.

Many of those jobs seem to be on the list by virtue that they are physical labor but there are several things they don't seem to consider:

1) most of them actually pay well!

2) many will not go out of demand and most are vital to infrastructure

3) physical labor is actually good for you

Sorry to double-tap but reading the list of top jobs... I don't get it.

Software Engineer? I know a lot of very miserable software engineers who are neck deep in debt and hate their job.

Accountant? In these times? Are you serious?

Philosopher? Most people I know with a Degree in Philosophy work at McDonalds.

I'm skeptical. <_<

The author is a complete moron. Just hope he never needs to call an ambulance.

I agree that its a tough sell. The employees really have to want it to happen and be willing to make sacrifices to achieve better working conditions and pay. I honestly believe that if they had better pay, benefits and working conditions, many of them wouldn't consider it a "temporary job".

Very true, but now you have a "chicken and the egg" problem. You need employees who care to get better pay and conditions but you can't get employees who care until you have better pay and conditions.

feraldan...you beat me to it! But leave us g-men outta this lol. I was NOT surprised to see "garbage collector" (or whatever they called it) on the list. But as others have stated, this is just a survey/rating by some yahoos. They obviously have not a clue.

I happen to work sanitation (municipal) and get payed very well thank you very much (thank you Local 456 ;) ). On top of my nice salary, i get full benefits, work straight days M-F 7am-2:30pm, plenty of time off and overtime on top of everything. Do i have crappy days? Yes. Does it suck in bad weather? Yes. Is there heavy days where my body aches? Yes. Have i been hurt? Yes. Can it be dangerous? Yes. But overall, it is a good career for sure. Im sure not many people would think that sanitation/DPW would be a good job, but its not bad. Is it what i set out to do? No. Is it glorifying or satisfying? No. But it pays the bills and affords myself and my fiancee a nice lifestyle.

As for the other jobs, i have no first-hand knowledge of. As far as EMS goes, i definately believe that EMS providers are way underpaid. EMS is defiantely the most unappreciated and undercompensated jobs in the emergency services sector.

I think in addition to what you said, it is also seen as a "meat wagon - you call we haul" service, because of some peoples attitudes, and presentation as such.

As a preface- Despite 30 years of progression, we are still all Ambulance Drivers in Joe the Plumber's eyes.

1. Public education and relations are the EMS professionals best friend.

2. As long as EMS professionals continue to accept being a "McJob" and don't make a proactive effort (see #1 above) the perception of the public will remain the same.

3. See # 1. Then do something about it.

Kinda goin' along the lines of what I was tryin' to say, maybe you just said it better!

One needs to read the whole article. Best and Worst is highly subjective. If one starts by defining the best job as high pay, indoors, no activity, no contact with other people, no stress, no danger, --which is what they did,-- then guess what, it sucks to be an EMT or a firefighter. The list is far from complete. Smoke jumping has to be the absolute 'worst' job on the planet, but if I had it to do over, I think I would have spent a few years at it.

Let's see, tax accountant or parachuting into forest fires? That's not a hard choice.

The best job is one that makes you happy and pays the bills.

One needs to read the whole article. Best and Worst is highly subjective. If one starts by defining the best job as high pay, indoors, no activity, no contact with other people, no stress, no danger, --which is what they did,-- then guess what, it sucks to be an EMT or a firefighter. The list is far from complete. Smoke jumping has to be the absolute 'worst' job on the planet, but if I had it to do over, I think I would have spent a few years at it.

Let's see, tax accountant or parachuting into forest fires? That's not a hard choice.

The best job is one that makes you happy and pays the bills.

Agreed!! Most of what you read in that article is very subjective. Some people do certain jobs because they enjoy it. The pay and working conditions aren't always the deciding factor.

I think it just indicates how lazy most americans are. Lifting and hard work? Low pay? Of course there must be no upside.

Jobs are so person specific. Some people might love working in an office with little social interaction and the glare of a computer screen. Some people would prefer to work outside, do physical labor and interact with people on a regular basis.

At the end of the day, some survey really isn't going to say much about what job is right for you.

Forget what is right for the indavidual for a second. The thing that agravates me is that this perpetuates the ignorance, while our pd and fd brethren are viewed as having rewarding careers saving lives and preventing injury to life and property (property being the key in our society). Just today as my partner and I walked into a local joint for lunch a lady and her children were sitting at a table, I guess the little boy asked his mother who we were. She couldn't even give the kid a straight answer, after about 45 seconds of fumbeling she came up with. - we were "emergency workers who drive in an emergency truck." go figure.

Edited by Goose