Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Plane Down in Hudson 1-15-09 Discussion/Additonal Info Thread

131 posts in this topic

News reports say that the plane hit some birds. I guess Fowl play is suspected.

Touche!

Props to FDNY, NYPD, PAPD Coast Guard, NY Waterways and Circle Lines.

The pilot gets major kudos for the landing.

From the news reports, they had little or no power as they turned over the Hudson. None the less, the pilot and crew executed major skills to get the plane down in one piece and everyone out safe.

If the preliminary report is true that they had a bird strike in both engines - turbine engines are designed to have AIR go through them not geese or gulls - so the 20-30 pound geese probably destroyed the engine components - resulting in a total loss of power (read 200,000 pound glider). They are very lucky that the birds didn't go through the windshield disabling the flight crew or the outcome could have been much worse.

I'll probably be accused of nitpicking but this plane did not crash. The flight crew ditched due to power loss. It is a controlled landing on a surface other than a runway.

This is why the training standards and requirements for frequent emergency procedure training are so stringent for the airline industry. Were it not for the sensational news coverage this would barely be an event! The flight crew did do an exemplary job but it was a direct result of their experience and training!

It also speaks volumes about the design of the Airbus - it can withstand landing on water (no landing gear) at 120-150 miles per hour and stay completely intact! Nice!

Not needed...pretty controlled incident.

VERY controlled incident, that's how everyone was able to walk off the plane - even with their luggage as was pointed out in one of the pictures!

Aside from the flight crew, I'd have to say the ferry captains and crews were extraordinary! They responded instantly, with no request or dispatch (as mariners do) to safely and efficiently rescue the majority of passengers. Very impressive!

A very VERY lucky day for everyone involved!

Good job to all!

Saw the news channels jumping all over possible terrorism angles... Looking to scare up a story... shocker there.

Was working today and had response up by Lehman College for fire, enroute Battalion and units told of explosion report and smoke coming from engine of airplane. Seems like the flock of seagulls was in van cortlandt park area and in fact flew directly into Plane engines causing at least one engine to explode in fire and cease operating. Returning to quarters heard Manhattan report of confirmed plane down in Hudson. Thankfully all surivived. Imagine the tragedy that could have occurred if plane was forced down over Bronx or upper Manhattan populated areas.

Well, I was working the ER today, and my father called me (which he NEVER does) and started asking me if I had heard, and I said "Heard what?"

He hadn't finished his sentence before I jumped down his throat:

Father: "An airliner went down in the Hudson River..."

Me: "A WHAT?!?!?"

Father: "...down by the Intrepid"

I literally think my heart stopped for a good 2.5 seconds! I was ready to run into the ER and tell everyone who could physically walk to get out!! :lol:

I did catch some snippets here and there on the TV in the waiting room, and what an extraordinary effort/job put forth by all! Anytime I have ever seen an incident on the water (on TV/news/videos), almost instantaneously I see a response from all mariners.

Just goes to show that there are still a few good eggs out there!!

Saw the news channels jumping all over possible terrorism angles... Looking to scare up a story... shocker there.

They had it on a good source that the geese were Canadian* and crossed the border without a valid passport or other ID, which would make them illegal aliens.

* not ment to offend any of our northern friends

What did Rescue 1 initially do like what did they do that saved the day? And its good they hit the geese there rather then over the atlantic or something where it would have been a different story.

I disagree with a lot of whst Governour Patterson says and does, BUT his remark today said it all. " We had the Miracle on 34th Street, today we have the Miracle on the Hudson River." So true!!!!!

Props to FDNY, NYPD, PAPD Coast Guard, NY Waterways and Circle Lines.

The pilot gets major kudos for the landing.

From the news reports, they had little or no power as they turned over the Hudson. None the less, the pilot and crew executed major skills to get the plane down in one piece and everyone out safe.

I heard on the news the plane is near shore down by Battery Park, wow!

United States Park Police was in on it as well, kudos to them and and all.

It was almost amusing listening to some of the reporters ad lib their stories.

One reporter stated how "the flight made an unscheduled landing on the Hudson River".

Since when would a landing in the Hudson be scheduled?

Another talking about hypothermia... "the temperature is 18 degrees with an even colder water temperature".

If the water temperature was colder it would be ice!

Talking about a "meeting" place to reunite passengers with their families... "only two passengers showed up, the others chose to go to hospitals throughout Manhattan".

They chose to go to the hospital? Out of nessesaty I'm sure.

Great job media! Keep up the good work!

One reporter stated how "the flight made an unscheduled landing on the Hudson River".

Another talking about hypothermia... "the temperature is 18 degrees with an even colder water temperature".

Talking about a "meeting" place to reunite passengers with their families... "only two passengers showed up, the others chose to go to hospitals throughout Manhattan".

Must be out of the Poughkeepsie Urinal??? :lol:

haha, that made my day!

Confirmation is in that the Pilot (C.B. "Sully" Sullenberger) is a 1970's graduate of the United States Air Force where he flew F-4s before joining what has become US Airways.

It looks like he was the passengers guardian angel today....he even has (or had) his own set of wings.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Well, I was working the ER today, and my father called me (which he NEVER does) and started asking me if I had heard, and I said "Heard what?"

As Peter Griffin once said..."Bout the Bird, Well-a everybody had heard about the BIRD!"

"We're recieving reports out of Pakistan that Al-Queda has recently trained carrier pigeons to seek out and destroy commercial airplanes."

(Note: That was a joke, don't everybody start popping geese without tags now)

I heard reserve troops are being called up to launch an overnight sneak attack on all geese surrounding our country.

What did Rescue 1 initially do like what did they do that saved the day? And its good they hit the geese there rather then over the atlantic or something where it would have been a different story.

I was just kidding.

I assumed them to be one of the first in the water for that area.

I read that the USCG launched 4 helo's...3 from Atlantic City and 1 from Cape Cod. Anyone know if they actually all came, or was it was determined that they were not needed?

Also, was there an overall commander of the response once many agencies started arriving? I assume it would be USCG sector NY...

i honestly love how every news station or news radio channel was "this doesnt seem like an act of terrorism"....obviously if it was a terror attack i dont think the plane would be in 1 piece.

No doubt the quick actions of the Pilot saved everyone.

MANY kudos to the Pilot, Flight Crew, Air Traffic Controlers,

NYC Waterway Boat Crews, Circleline Boats Crews, and ALL Emergency Responders!

After 9/11 I don't think anyone can watch a Plane flying low over the Hudson River

in the NYC area without thinking "Oh No"

GOD BLESS ALL THE PASSENGERS AND FLIGHT CREW!

:D

I was working when this occurred. The initial reports over NYPD Transit radios were for a "Level 3 mobilization for a small plane down around West 46 street and 12 Avenue, in the Hudson River." A few minutes later the dispatcher stated, "reports of 40 to 50 passengers". Only when we turned on 1010 WINS did we hear it was 151 passengers. Gotta love the initial dispatch info, but I guess it was mostly taken from the numerous 911 calls from drivers along the Henry Hudson Parkway that saw it.

As for the birds, one news station was saying the force a bird like a Canadian goose plus the speed of the aircraft results in something like the force similar to 10,000 pounds dropped from 10 feet that shatters the fan blades within the jst engine, which then cause further damage as the piece are sucked further into the engine itself.

Must be out of the Poughkeepsie Urinal??? :lol:

Nope, it was from channel 2 TV (CBS).

I read that the USCG launched 4 helo's...3 from Atlantic City and 1 from Cape Cod. Anyone know if they actually all came, or was it was determined that they were not needed?

Also, was there an overall commander of the response once many agencies started arriving? I assume it would be USCG sector NY...

I believe that all the helicopters did respond - once it was confirmed that they weren't needed they probably landed and stood by in the metro area until released.

I imagine that there was a unified command with the PD, FD, Port Authority, Coast Guard and others once the response was organized and all the players pulled together.

Those investigating this incident might want to stop near the TSP south of Route 6 and talk to all of those geese. One of them knows something...

Very glad to hear everyone is OK and got out safely.

USCG sector NY just issued an advisement before to all marine vessels that they have established a temporary security area where the plane is and they also stated that they want all marine traffic to be on the look out for debris floating in the river from the GWB down.

US Airways Airbus A320

Reports of flocks of seagulls in area.

i thought that band broke up years ago

i thought that band broke up years ago

Hilarious! For those of us old enough to even know what you're talking about, anyway....

And yes, those geese off Rt. 6 seemed to be acting strangely when I passed by this am. Bet they do know something. ;)

Happy Friday, all--- stay safe and WARM.