Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Biggest Advancement in Modern Firefighting?

36 posts in this topic

What, in your opinion, is the biggest advancement in modern firefighting, since, let's say the eighties?

I chose the 80's to rule out SCBA...which were more common then..and argueabley the biggest advancement in firefighting history.

Brains. We've evolved from "strong like bull smart like tractor" to a much more methodical fire service who analyzes our every actions and tries to ensure we're doing the best way. But if you want a material item, it probably is the TIC. Not a panacea but a tool with huge potential for all parties concerned.

The new methods of firefighting like the fit 5 knocking down most of the fire in the room before the hoseline is in place

i would have to say the pagers and the radios we use portable and in the truck or a base radio

Tough question!! I'd have to go with both of you with the SCBA and the training advancements. I also would have to throw in the advancements in turnout gear material and construction. Safer, better protection and it actually fits to be used.

Want me to tell you what the biggest retraction was to me??? Combination fog nozzles.

Id have to say the chevrons and reflective vests. hands down.

Tough question!! I'd have to go with both of you with the SCBA and the training advancements. I also would have to throw in the advancements in turnout gear material and construction. Safer, better protection and it actually fits to be used.

Want me to tell you what the biggest retraction was to me??? Combination fog nozzles.

I agree with this but to add getting members off the rear step of apparatus and into closed cabs was a big advancement.

Thermal Imaging Cameras......

300 Million Candle Power

LED - BLUE LIGHTS

Sorry, I just had too!

lol

What, in your opinion, is the biggest advancement in modern firefighting, since, let's say the eighties?

Without a doubt "The Detroit Door Opener." Oh wait, did you mean the 1880's or 1980's....... :blink:

Without a doubt "The Detroit Door Opener." Oh wait, did you mean the 1880's or 1980's....... :blink:

LOL...not to many people here would have ever seen that, but a rabbit tool......

And here is the Detroit door opener.

post-1209-1251639091.jpg

Edited by CPAGE

Interesting topic and I have to agree with all the previous posts. All of these things have had an impact on the fire service, but if you ask me the greatest advancement has got to be the change in attitude. By far the most visible and argueably the most important advancement has been in the way we do the job. The fire service of today has become a culture of safety, for better or for worse. Without a doubt it is this emphasis on safety that is the biggest change that I've experienced since I first walked through the door 30 years ago.

Cogs

The TIC is the most important tool we now have in our inventory, for a number of reasons. When used correctly the TIC can warn us of flashover conditions and other hazards, i.e. collapse conditions, missing floors, etc. The TIC also allows us to see "through the fire" for victims and allows an officer to monitor his crew much easier. When members are trained correctly in the use of the TIC and utilize the tool as part of our arsenal and not as a do it all tool it becomes the best tool in our arsenal!

An illustration of the Detroit Door Opener in use:

Great stuff!

post-128-1251646099.jpg

The Biggest Advancement in Modern Firefighting is media. We can communicate so many different ways now. From the internet to the trade magazines that we buy. Cell phones, radios, tv, dvd, webisodes, online training and youtube. Modern Firefighting is better at communitcating through all sorts of media the good and bad. Years ago we did not have the acess to line of duty death reports. We didn't have the immediate acess to hazmat info or changes in building/vehicle construction. So I have to say media in all forms.

An illustration of the Detroit Door Opener in use:

Great stuff!

post-128-1251646099.jpg

Well isn't that the coolest illustration.....good forensic investigating there guy.

I might have to say the "standerazation" and the education that we are makng our new firefighters go through. making our officers take courses before we elect them to office. Sop i guess my answer would be the general the upward educational movement in the fire service.

Biggest advances for firefighting are sprinklers and smoke detectors, along with better inspection programs.

I agree....especially since it saved my a** once...the TIC!

Second Fire prevention...

Screw fire preventtion.

Lightweight composite structural members. As far as building construction and architecture are concerned its a substantial advancement over stick lumber construction or heavy timber construction. Nothing has done more to fundamentally change the way we operate on the fire ground since SCBA.

Another one is the advancement of the extrication tools back in the day alot of departments didn't have any. Alot of departments prior to extrication equipment used a

K-12 saw and a hoseline to keep the sparks down .

Id have to say the chevrons and reflective vests. hands down.

yeah those really help us put the fires out :blink:

Lightweight composite structural members. As far as building construction and architecture are concerned its a substantial advancement over stick lumber construction or heavy timber construction. Nothing has done more to fundamentally change the way we operate on the fire ground since SCBA.
I agree that lightweight composite structural members have had significant impact on the fire service, but how do you figure they're a substantial advancement "for the fire service" over stick and timber frame?

Those old enough to have actually used the Detroit Door opener know that it will do either of two things:

1. Break off the doorknob

2. Crack the terrazzo floor

It will rarely open a door, except, maybe in Detroit

The decision from the Supreme Court on the New Haven 20 case!