Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimmyPFD

White Plains Rescue-Medic High Angle Rescue Drill

31 posts in this topic

They have rescue medics in WP? Very cool. Anyone know where I can find more info?

I'm curious what was being used as the anchor in pics #24 and 25? (Where the webbing is coming out of the hole in the roof.)

They have rescue medics in WP? Very cool. Anyone know where I can find more info?

I've heard some mumbling about this from time to time from a family member on the job, but it looks to me (at least from those pictures) that the medics in question are either fire department or police department members.

One would think they would want to integrate the local EMS agency in their drill.

sounds great but i thought the FD guys were EMT-Is did they upgrade? are they available for mutal-aid?

With Transcare handling patient care in White Plains where do the Rescue guys get their patient care experience in?

They are from the FD and PD.

Edited by DR104

One would think they would want to integrate the local EMS agency in their drill.

No need for them. All they will be doing is the transport. Thats why they have this team(White Plains) so they can drop a man down to the PT and start ALS care before you bring them up.

No need for them. All they will be doing is the transport. Thats why they have this team(White Plains) so they can drop a man down to the PT and start ALS care before you bring them up.

Does that mean the "Rescue Medics" will be continuing patient care onboard the Transcare rig on the way to Westchester Medical Center? The reason I thought the local EMS should be integrated into the drill would be to work out the transfer of care to the transporting medic.

Since when did the FD or PD become a DOH certified ALS First Response Agency and/or train there guys to be paramedics? Last I knew both agencies were operating at a BLS level.

Since when did the FD or PD become a DOH certified ALS First Response Agency and/or train there guys to be paramedics? Last I knew both agencies were operating at a BLS level.

This summer

Does that mean the "Rescue Medics" will be continuing patient care onboard the Transcare rig on the way to Westchester Medical Center? The reason I thought the local EMS should be integrated into the drill would be to work out the transfer of care to the transporting medic.

What is there to work out? Once the patient is removed, EMS takes over patient care and does the transport. You learn that in basic EMT school.

While I understand your thought process on this a bit, I have to say that I agree with bull and have my own additional thought on this. First...as a tactical medic I can tell you that unless I have a large scale incident with multiple officers and/or civilians wounded or injured in the hot zone I will accompany my patient all the way through the process...especially if it is one of the officers on my team, I will not leave them no matter what.

Now with that said...as far as "working out" the transfer of care...how hard is it really? We all do it several times a shift when we transfer care to BLS if it warrants such...we transfer care to the ED staff...etc. What is there to figure out really? You take a report from the provider who rendered care, history of presence illness/injury, PMH, injuries found...treatments/procedures rendered...then once in the bus...ensure everything that needs to be in place is in place...IV's, ETT's etc. Perform your own rapid assessment in the event that something was missed or changed and handle your business.

The final thing I want to point out is that the one thing that tends to occur is that those in the warm zone during technical rescue tend to gather like bugs to a light to watch what is going on...feel they are more part of the incident, etc and crowd. I tell ambulance crews and other ALS providers to keep their bags either in the ambulance unless they are asked for more equipment or to put them in a spot that they won't get kicked over, tripped over or even moved by someone else other then them. Its very easy to have bags and equipment moved from one spot to the next when room is needed and then not be able to find them quickly.

This is all cool stuff... but I have to get in on the debate. This would have been a perfect opportunity for PD and FD to include the real medics, not because of any tactical advantage (although there might be some), but because the three services should work together on such projects in general. After all, as someone pointed out, I guarantee most of the Transcare medics in WP have far more experience and medical knowledge than the brand new medic PD/FD medics who, let's face it, never got into their line of work so they could practice advanced medical procedures and assessments.

Further evidence that if you're choosing a career in EMS, you're better off joining the PD or FD...

It is obvious that this is a very progressive step forward in definitive patient care - evryone needs to put their egos aside and do what is best for the patient....

Kudos WPFD

if only Half of you knew what you were talking about ! Some one else said it real good egoooooooosssssssss. Get over it ! Brand new medics (some are) ... Do you see some of the cops in the pictures... any idea who they are ????? Where they work on the side ????

As far as mis quotes on other posts in this article

With Transcare handling patient care in White Plains where do the Rescue guys get their patient care experience in?

One would think they would want to integrate the local EMS agency in their drill.This would have been a perfect opportunity for PD and FD to include the real medics, not because of any tactical advantage (although there might be some),

I guarantee most of the Transcare medics in WP have far more experience and medical knowledge than the brand new medic PD/FD medics who, let's face it, never got into their line of work so they could practice advanced medical procedures and assessments.

Simply put your wrong ! On the PD side the ESU Medics (4) have a combinded 45 years of ALS/BLS experience

Yes they often jump in the rig on Major traumatic or medical calls.

Some of you ask questions as if something was overlooked ! Do you really think, a city of this size has not worked out every angle. before implementing a Advanced Life Support "Rescue Medic Program"

24/7/365 SWAT Medics or FAST Medics or combinded depending on situation

and From what i understand Cross Trained<<<<<<shock wave

It could have been editing or the Commissioner misspoke when he said, "... Other than NYC, and particularly in Westchester; we are the only team that will have the ability to provide emergency rescue assistance."

There are a few teams in Westchester that can provide, "emergency rescue assistance." In all fairness, the editing was quick and could have cut him off mid sentence or before he elaborated on the statement.

It's nice to see that they have 6 Paramedics in addition to 6 EMTs. Very nice

Just curious Who else in Westchester has combined Pd/FD ALS Rescue Medics ?

Edited by pjm1733

if only Half of you knew what you were talking about ! Some one else said it real good egoooooooosssssssss. Get over it ! Brand new medics (some are) ... Do you see some of the cops in the pictures... any idea who they are ????? Where they work on the side ????

As far as mis quotes on other posts in this article

One would think they would want to integrate the local EMS agency in their drill.This would have been a perfect opportunity for PD and FD to include the real medics, not because of any tactical advantage (although there might be some),

I guarantee most of the Transcare medics in WP have far more experience and medical knowledge than the brand new medic PD/FD medics who, let's face it, never got into their line of work so they could practice advanced medical procedures and assessments.

Simply put your wrong ! On the PD side the ESU Medics (4) have a combinded 45 years of ALS/BLS experience

Yes they often jump in the rig on Major traumatic or medical calls.

Some of you ask questions as if something was overlooked ! Do you really think, a city of this size has not worked out every angle. before implementing a Advanced Life Support "Rescue Medic Program"

How about you tone it down a little, people have questions and opinions, I thought that was the whole point of this site. Instead of talking down to people and taking it personal, why don't you educate us since you obviously have some knowledge as to the inner workings of this program.

Greenburgh PD has had tactical police medics on its SWAT team since the 80's. Greenburgh PD and Greenburgh FD's Technical Rescue Team has had an advanced life support component since 1997.

Edited by GPD102

In Orange County Woodbury, Montgomery, Monroe, Sheriffs all have BLS patrol cars, Sheriffs marine unit is a BLS boat. Sheriffs also have Tactical Medics on the swat team made up sheriff deputies.

Sorry if I offened you... its just my nature...tone it down I cant. I can tick off people by a look !.. others had views on this, quick to critic mis statements or edits in the press... thats ok right .... I knew no one else would comment on this for this very reason , but i felt the need to set the record strait...

I guarantee most of the Transcare medics in WP have far more experience and medical knowledge than the brand new medic PD/FD medics who, let's face it, never got into their line of work so they could practice advanced medical procedures and assessments. No one has any problem with it ....

Who can make a statement like the one above , with no knowledge of what is going on. This guy Guarantee"s it .... <<< But does it come in a box ? is the guarantee written on it ?What if you are wrong ? should nobody call you out on it ? eff that !

How about you tone it down a little, people have questions and opinions

Enough said about opioions

instead of talking down to people and taking it personal

Its not Personal Sunny, Just bussiness ! and your taking it way to personal.....

Its nice to see this program is up and running,available on an initial dispatch ! No call out or call back, in service and ready, hopefully never have to use them. Thats how all the comments should read in this forum...

Wow, how shocking....someone posts a great topic and panties get twisted over egos and opinions. YES everyone can have their own opinions and nobody should look down on them for that or question that. This website is for information sharing and learning. Its a shame that members ask questions or share their thoughts/opinions and someone jumps down their throat.

This sounds like a GREAT program that WP has initiated! As an ever-changing and growing City, it seems that WP was looking toward the future with the City and its residents/visitors in mind. Kudos to the City of White Plains and its PD and FD! Best of luck to its members and as someone else said, hopefully they are never needed.

City of Peekskill has 3 Paramedic and 1 EMT that operate with PPD's Tactical Response Unit 24/7 as well. All are experienced providers with advanced Tactical medic training and 2 of the medics have extensive technical rescue training.

In Peekskill and Greenburgh medics can still get patient contact on a regular basis. In White Plains how are these guys keeping their skills up? I'm no lover of Transcare so this isn't about them being the EMS agency in White Plains they should be doing this. This is about intubating and starting IVs. Easily taught difficult to master. Does White Plains require their rescue medics to be medics on the outside or are they counting on frequent simulation training?

This is what it comes down to. White Plains is adding another level of protection for their citizens, which should be embraced, and not opposed.

It sounds to me like White Plains has done this to start the PHTLS process as soon as possible. Also, the Paramedic's and EMT's of Transcare aren't afforded the same benefits or equipment that are given to civil service employees if something were to happen to them while operating in life threatening conditions.

My only issue is that White Plains should be providing EMS, and not contracting to a for-profit entity. Transcare has many excellent EMT's and Paramedics, and if the Public Safety department can pull together a rescue medic program, then they sure can start an EMS agency as well. As long as they are a contracted provided for EMS, they are a city contractor/vendor. They are hired to provide EMS. I'm sure there would have to be major changes to the contract with White Plains, and I'm sure Transcare would want and need more money to provide rescue medics.

If Transcare wants in, let them start showing iniative, like Empress EMS's Spec Ops division. Empress pays for, out of their own pocket, special operations training and equipment for it's employees with multiple components, and works with Chief Fitzpatrick to interface with the Yonkers FD Special Operations division. Empress has invested a lot into training and equipment, and has really developed an outstanding program for a commercial provider to do.....for free. And, there's more to come with Empress EMS's SOD. This is something Empress employees came up with and developed for several years now, and not something that happened overnight. Transcare could do the same thing for White Plains what Empress does for Yonkers.

If Transcare wants in, let them start showing iniative, like Empress EMS's Spec Ops division. Empress pays for, out of their own pocket, special operations training and equipment for it's employees with multiple components, and works with Chief Fitzpatrick to interface with the Yonkers FD Special Operations division. Empress has invested a lot into training and equipment, and has really developed an outstanding program for a commercial provider to do.....for free. And, there's more to come with Empress EMS's SOD. This is something Empress employees came up with and developed for several years now, and not something that happened overnight. Transcare could do the same thing for White Plains what Empress does for Yonkers.

Not to diminish the efforts of the Empress Special Operations Division but I don't think they're doing all that extra work out of the goodness of their hearts or at their own expense. As an MMRS and UASI city, Yonkers receives substantial federal funds for such preparedness and some of it is funneled to Empress for their part of the city's program. This is not a knock on Empress, quite the contrary!

There are not a lot of commercial entities (EMS, hospitals, etc.) that have invested in high levels of preparedness without grants or other subsidies. As hard as it is to maintain 911 coverage or hospital staffing, it is nearly impossible to train, equip, and prepare personnel for the unthinkable using regular budget money.

Kudos to White Plains for being proactive!

I agree that Empress should be applauded for going the extra mile, regardless of how it is funded. If the City of Yonkers is funneling some of their Homeland Security funding to Empress then they are setting an example that all the other jurisdictions should follow. The welfare of the citizens should take priority over who gets the shiny new equipment.

City of Peekskill has 3 Paramedic and 1 EMT that operate with PPD's Tactical Response Unit 24/7 as well. All are experienced providers with advanced Tactical medic training and 2 of the medics have extensive technical rescue training.

Is it a team? Is it called The City Of Peekskill Tacitcal Response Unit? or is it just the PDs team and they let some FFs in on it? My point and the Commish was getting at is that WP has a team of PD and FD and work under the name City of White Plains dept of Public Saftey Not Police or FD. It great to see that Peekskill has a TRU and FD is a part of it.

DR...I'm not sure I get your point. I was just pointing out that there are others out there doing similar things..regardless of the name. I currently or have worked with several members of both agencies in White Plains as a Paramedic, Firefighter and Fire Instructor. Several in the picture I have helped train in either the career academy or other classes. As far as your question..there is the Peekskill Tactical Medical Team, we are all not firefighters as some are straight EMS providers. We do operate as part of the TRU and are treated as members of that unit. Our team works very well together and has a deep level of trust on both sides of our responsibilities. I only wish that we could get things organized to the same level as WP. So unless you mis reading...and then I would venture to say you haven't read all my posts...I'm a supporter of the WP initiative and think its a great model of agencies combining resources and personnel for the better of the public.

Did anyone notice the lack of fall protecting on the members working near and on the edge? Should anything have happened to them would it matter if the medics for FF's Cop's Career medics I would say no. Although trauma is a BLS skill unless you have an airway problem. So the bottom line I would think is getting the best possible care when needed.