Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

NBC's New Show "TRAUMA" reviews

41 posts in this topic

Having watched the first 30 minutes of this show this evening, I have seen things that I would say is right out of "Hollywood" and would never be done, allowed, or followed in real life situations. Like a Medivac Helicopter lading on a bridge right next to the scene without a proper Landing Setup done by other firefighters or police personnel on the ground (didn't see any marked off Landing Zone during the shot). Then, when a small child has some srapenal lodged in his throat, a Male Flight Nurse on board the Medi-Vac, blantenlty disobeys the instructions of the doctor at the hospital and cuts a airway in the childs throat to clear an airway, In Flight. Also, is it standard practice to have the mother travel "in flight" on a run from the scene to the hospital?

Now, the explosions and acting seem to be fine and it appears to be somewhat heart touching, but to me it looks like this show is a combination of MASH meets Emergency/Rescue 8 meets ER meets Rescue Me.

What does eveyone else think of the show so far?

Previews looked too Hollywood for me, and judging from several of my friend's statuses on Facebook, it bites... hardcore...

Personally, i would rather watch paint dry. If you thought hollywood would get EMS right (they get little right these days...) you are very sadly mistaken.

Didn't like the commercials on the radio so I didn't bother. From the comment above, I'm glad that I didn't.

Hollywood seldom gets emergency services right. Right doesn't sell because if we do our jobs right, we're pretty boring.

IDK what I think of it yet..its only the first episode, and TV shows like Goose stated never get any thing right.

Edited by KC2OBW

The preview alone made me much rather watch paint dry....at least that way I would just waste time, not loose brain cells too.

I did not watch it....apparently my decision was correct.

UNREALISTIC. Normal Hollywood garbage.

TWO THUMBS DOWN

The preview alone made me much rather watch paint dry....at least that way I would just waste time, not loose brain cells too.

That depends how close you are to the paint as you watch it, haha.

I didn't watch, wasn't expecting much and it seems like I didn't miss much.

I was going to change it after 10, realized the remote control was far away, and tried to hang on. I made it to the 27 minute mark and had to eject. Out of the helicopter. Before he had a boys mother assist on a tracheotomy. 1 minute from the hospital. After loading a patient with the rotors going. Not a hair out of place. Just FYI, last Friday I watched a helicopter at about 40 feet blow away two 55 gallon drum type garbage cans. Sure. Right.

where do I start. the fd took way too long to get to the scene (they are supposed to be a paid fd out there). an oil tanker exploded and you have the fd there with no airpacks on while you can still see flames from the tanker. shouldn't they have moved the victims out of the hot zone (if they were able to be moved) as soon as they got to the scene recognizing that there was an oil tanker involved in the wreck?

Yawn!

Trauma was horrible. Each and everything they did had no basis to anything that is done in real life. Doing CPR next to a burning tanker, no foam on a buring tanker, what kind of bandage did he use on the kid with the throat wound. Hollywood wants to entertain but this was ridiculous. Not even close, give me a break.

didn't even make 10 minutes...felt like I was watching "LA Firefighters" or "Rescue 77" again...

didn't even make 10 minutes...felt like I was watching "LA Firefighters" or "Rescue 77" again...

As bad as thouse were, this was worst.

I gotta love some of the replies...I actually enjoyed it for what it was and what it is a.....DRAMA. Anyone who thinks that a show on primetime is going to be what our jobs is....needs to get out more. That is why I generally don't watch them for anything but entertainment.

The trach...if he needed it..wouldn't have called would have just done it.

No LZ....as if that never happens? I've been sitting at LZ's with no FD response because it arrived before they got out.

Loaded a patient with the rotors going...never have loaded a patient at a field LZ with them off.

The FD took to long....again its a drama...give me a break. and in real life again I've waited due to heavy call volume and lack of units or those responding from a distance.

Hmmm which other one has me rolling my eyes.

Our job is boring..how realistic do you want you....4 years worth of chaos with 16 years of boredom. You wanted realistic watch the Paramedic re-runs on TLC...then you can rip apart real life calls they filmed.

Here's a review by someone that I would think that everyone here on EMTBravo.net, would say "Says It All":

"No Heroes as NBC's 'Trauma' Fails to Deliver - a JEMS Review" by A.J. Heightman - Editor-in-Chief, JEMS

The new series Trauma premiering Monday night is being billed by NBC as "the first high-octane medical drama series to live exclusively in the field." The show's Website says it's "like an adrenaline shot to the heart, an intense, action-packed look at one of the most dangerous medical professions in the world: first responder paramedics." Unfortunately having had the opportunity to view the pilot in advance of its September 28 premiere, I think the series is ripe for "Do Not Resuscitate Orders".

I realize that, having been raised watching the epic Emergency! TV series, I have a bias for shows that portray emergency personnel as professional in appearance and attitude, disciplined and ethical and compassionate to their patients.

Johnny and Roy, please don't watch this show. Stop by my house and we'll do shots of Ipecac instead."

Link to Full Editorial by A.J. Heightman

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER - MAYBE THOSE PROGRAMMING NBC EXECUTIVES MIGHT WANT TO CONDUCT A COMPLETE HEART TRANSPLANT ON THIS SHOW AND PUT IN ITS PLACE A SHOW WHICH IS MORE REALISITIC TO WHAT HAPPENS OUT THERE IN REAL LIFE. LIKE MAYBE USING THAT RECENT INCIDENT OF THE WOMEN AND HER FAMILY DRIVING THE WRONG WAY ON THE TACONIC PARKWAY AND THE IMPACT THAT IT HAD ON HER FAMILY AND FRIENDS LIVES, AS WELL AS THOSE PROFESSIONALS WHO ARE DEALING WITH THE EMOTIONAL DISTRESS AFTER RESPONDING TO IT. 'OR' MAYBE SOMETHING IN LINE OF THE WAY TO FREQUENT AMOUNT OF INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE JUMPING OFF OF THE TZ BRIDGE DUE TO THE ECONOMY (SHOWING THE EFFECT THAT THIS RESCESSION IS HAVING ON THE LIVES OF INDIVIDUALS IN THIS COUNTRY) OR OTHER EMOTHIONAL ISSUES AND WHAT MEASURES THE PROFESSIONALS NEED TO TAKE (BOTH PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY) TO CONDUCT A SEARCH AND RESCUE.

THIS IS TRUE, REAL LIFE SITUATIONS THAT PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY ARE DEALING WITH AND TO WHICH PEOPLE CAN RELATE TO. NOT NBC "FANTASYLAND" TO WHICH THIS RIDICULOUS SHOW APPARENTLY IS TRYING TO SHOVE DOWN OUR THROATS AS "ENTERTAINMENT"

- enjoyed the scene with the medic, en route to a full arrest somehow giving pre arrivals via I'm guessing radio? Awesomeness! Hahahaha. Oh boy nbc.

This show was the pits. ER was a drama but at least it was entertaining to watch and somewhat real at times. Sad thing is that these idiots who can't portray paramedics are getting paid more money than real paramedics.

Did anyone notice after the mother got on the chopper she immediately, without prompting put on the headset? I guess she had done this flight before. Sorry, Trauma's golden hour has expired. Can NBC spell F-L-A-T-L-I-N-E. This show isn't even on life support. Just my opinion.

Having watched the first 30 minutes of this show this evening, I have seen things that I would say is right out of "Hollywood" and would never be done, allowed, or followed in real life situations. Like a Medivac Helicopter lading on a bridge right next to the scene without a proper Landing Setup done by other firefighters or police personnel on the ground (didn't see any marked off Landing Zone during the shot). Then, when a small child has some srapenal lodged in his throat, a Male Flight Nurse on board the Medi-Vac, blantenlty disobeys the instructions of the doctor at the hospital and cuts a airway in the childs throat to clear an airway, In Flight. Also, is it standard practice to have the mother travel "in flight" on a run from the scene to the hospital?

Now, the explosions and acting seem to be fine and it appears to be somewhat heart touching, but to me it looks like this show is a combination of MASH meets Emergency/Rescue 8 meets ER meets Rescue Me.

What does eveyone else think of the show so far?

The show is like everything that the networks feed to the American public--Fantasy--and the general public swallows it hook, line & sinker. Thats all its supposed to be anyhow and anyone who takes that stuff seriously needs to have their heads examined. Don't forget its all about ratings; if the networks really showed our jobs like they truly are, then they'd have no ratings. Lets be honest with each other. A majority of the time our jobs are boring; at least in the eyes of the public. "Lets all watch the firemen wash the fire truck or do a building inspection!!..That sounds like fun to me" or imagine if the TV show "Cops" focused on what a majority of non-city cops do at night; drive around, check door knobs, hand out parking tickets or coop? Or an EMS show where the crew gets to sanitize the bus or insert an IV into a patient recored live on film?? That'd pull in alot of ratings wouldn't it? Its all about fantasy and nothing more; the producers are just touching it up to make it more palatable for the viewers.

If you want to watch more realistic shows, then try the History Channel or Discovery; its probably a better alternative then watching paint dry or a fly crawl up a drape.

Edited by gamewell45

Don't forget that during CPR the monitor reads asytole and what do you do? Shock it of course! Not to mention all the other ridiculous nonsense. We always just walk up to somone with Versed in hand and just give it to them and walk away right? Did the have any EMS consultants on this thing?

They probably got fired after they told them "well the majority of our day is spent sitting in the cab of an ambulance or in the station until the next run...and while there are surely some interesting trauma and medical runs out there, it's not every day that a high octane fuel tanker engulfs the interstate..."

I couldn't watch past the opening scene...absolutely horrible....hope this show gets cancelled quick. I'm dissapointed, as I had high hopes for this show.

I can't wait for my next call when a patient demands a heli tx because they saw it on TV and they do it for everything!

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting NBC has canceled this POS. It will run it's course of the already shot 13 episodes. All I can say is it's about time...

Sorry couldn't watch it, my favorite Barney and Teletubbies episodes were on again.