Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New FDNY Ambulance Order-Wheeled Coach On A Dodge Chasis

48 posts in this topic

That should have a much longer wheelbase. Not sure how this will workout.

The big difference from present and former FDNY ambulances, will be the use of a four door cab instead of the up till now standard two door cab. The new units will all be designated as regular ambulances, with none slated to be fitted out as Haz-Tac ambulances, or Haz-Tac Rescue ambulances.

Why would anyone need to have a four door cab on an ambulance? Please tell me I read that wrong.

The big difference from present and former FDNY ambulances, will be the use of a four door cab instead of the up till now standard two door cab. The new units will all be designated as regular ambulances, with none slated to be fitted out as Haz-Tac ambulances, or Haz-Tac Rescue ambulances.

Why would anyone need to have a four door cab on an ambulance? Please tell me I read that wrong.

I like the idea...makes a safer spot for non essential family members to sit than in the back of bus.

A lot of Fire based EMS in FL run three personnel on the bus. I just heard the other day that at least one large FD is now switching to four doors to ride these members in forward facing seatbelted positions when ever responding to a call. I can't imagine a good reason why you'd increase the length of any apparatus in NYC unless you saw a significant need? I'm sorry, but make the family take a cab, don't buy a new 4 door cab! But I assume they have their reasons, it's not unheard of for the FDNY to actually research things and try something and can it later.

A lot of Fire based EMS in FL run three personnel on the bus. I just heard the other day that at least one large FD is now switching to four doors to ride these members in forward facing seatbelted positions when ever responding to a call. I can't imagine a good reason why you'd increase the length of any apparatus in NYC unless you saw a significant need? I'm sorry, but make the family take a cab, don't buy a new 4 door cab! But I assume they have their reasons, it's not unheard of for the FDNY to actually research things and try something and can it later.

My guess for the 4 door set up is for the 'turnout gear' that is now mandatory to wear to some call types. There really isn't someplace to put it in the current buses.

Other than haztac/rescue crews crammed into a regular bus, there's plenty of room for all the ALS equipment, personal bags, and PPE. My partners and I each bring a bag full of other crap (laptops, food, map, magazines, etc) and still comfortably fit everything because we don't pack the compartments with crap. You pack a makeshift pharmacy and MASH unit into the truck and you quickly run out of room. The 4 door chasis wouldn't be any longer than the current haztac/rescue trucks and I haven't heard anything about them being involved in more accidents since their introduction.

Other than haztac/rescue crews crammed into a regular bus, there's plenty of room for all the ALS equipment, personal bags, and PPE. My partners and I each bring a bag full of other crap (laptops, food, map, magazines, etc) and still comfortably fit everything because we don't pack the compartments with crap. You pack a makeshift pharmacy and MASH unit into the truck and you quickly run out of room. The 4 door chasis wouldn't be any longer than the current haztac/rescue trucks and I haven't heard anything about them being involved in more accidents since their introduction.

Any thoughts on why then the switch to four doors? Could this really be just for transporting relatives? Maybe more ride-along preceptorships? It defies normal logic on the OAL increase, though as noted I'm sure there's a reason that's just alluding us.

I wouldn't mind the extra space. The Haztac/ Rescue medics buses are huge so as long as they're not any bigger than that I'm fine with the idea.

The 4 door cab sounds good. Wish they had them when I was still there. You can probably recline the front driver and passenger seats for comfort.

The 4 door cab sounds good. Wish they had them when I was still there. You can probably recline the front driver and passenger seats for comfort.

I agree with the more room needed for members bags etc. The 4 door not so much a good idea. Would rather it be an extended cad then a full 4 door. With the extended cab you have room in the back for bags, PPE, etc and still would be able to recline. Sitting in an ambulance for 8hrs isn't what it's all said to be.

When we were shopping for a new truck for our shop we looked at both extended (half door) and 4 door cabs.We went for the half doors and are pleased with it.I am just wondering why they are going to 4 door cabs.Is there a need for all the extra room? Just someone on the outside asking.

I don't belive dodge makes an extended cab its either 2 door or 4 door. those were my options when I bought my Ram.

I don't belive dodge makes an extended cab its either 2 door or 4 door. those were my options when I bought my Ram.

Bingo. As per one chief they were going with an extended cab due to an increasing loss of leg room and desire to keep ppe within reach. There are also plans to add more toys to the back starting with refrigerators for saline.

I know that ambulances on Medium Duty chassis are a lot more $$ than on a pickup truck chassis, however, they would last a lot longer in NYC cause they are made to take a beaten. Even with an extended cab which I know International & Freightliner both make, the turning radius is a heck of a lot less! We have 2 2008 Horton/Internationals and they can turn in a lot tighter radius than our 2000 PL Custom/Ford E-450 bus.

I believe it was International that was looked at during the spec process for the current HazTac trucks. It was felt that they were too different to drive and offered no substantial improvement over the pick-up chassis.

Not to doubt anyone on here, but I did a lot of research of these trucks before purchasing 2 of them for my VAC. Aside from being a little more of a bumpy ride, they are easy to drive with minimal training. My VAC only does about 1000 calls per year, but we expect to get 15-20 years our of them as opposed to our FORD (Fix Of Repair Daily) which we only get about 10 years out of.

I like the Dodge for the Cummins Diesel and the Allison Transmission. Surprised they didnt go with the Dodge for the Battalion vehicles. Cummins smoke the DuraMax IMHO. I have had dealings with both.

They don't pick the manufacturer. The bid states the required performance specs and the bidder proposes the vehicle best capable of meeting that bid.

They don't pick the manufacturer. The bid states the required performance specs and the bidder proposes the vehicle best capable of meeting that bid.

Feeling like a broken record yet? Why bother?

My unit just took delivery of a brand new 2009 Ford F350 ambulance, and compared to the 2005 F350 it replaced there feels like there is a lot less leg room in the new truck. And we have some pretty tall men and women in the EMS command that just dont feel comfortable driving because they are so cramped in the drivers seat. The extra space behind the seats would be very welcome as there isnt really any room to safely stow personal items in the current set up without getting in the way of the radio mdt or siren controles. Currently the only place to store something as small as a lunch box is in front of the seat on the floor were it gets in the way of leg room, on the dash pad where it become a hinderance to foward view, or in the small tunnel between the cab and the module where it gets in the way of already dismal crew comunication, the haz-tac and rescue abulances dont have the tunnel and therefore have an intercom system that is completely passive for the technician, and the driver pushes a button in the front to comunicate to the back. Also we do a lot of ridealongs throughout the year. And the people riding along are anything from ER residents to out of town or out of country EMT's who want to experiance what its like to work in the busiest EMS system on the planet, not to mention our own EMS acadamy students. Currently those ridealongs spend the entire day in the module of the ambulance sitting in the jump seat, which is not the safest place to be.

The EMT's and Medics that work at St. Lukes Rosevelt Hospital have been using 2008 Ford F-550 extended cab chassis and I havent heard of any handling complaints from any of them.

On a less importent note. The current dodge chassis would not lok out of place dressed as an ambulance.

Any new news on this? Have they been delivered yet? In production yet or is it still a go?

Not to doubt anyone on here, but I did a lot of research of these trucks before purchasing 2 of them for my VAC. Aside from being a little more of a bumpy ride, they are easy to drive with minimal training. My VAC only does about 1000 calls per year, but we expect to get 15-20 years our of them as opposed to our FORD (Fix Of Repair Daily) which we only get about 10 years out of.

If you think you can get 15-20 years out of anything new now a days, you'll be sadly mistaken. Not to mention the changes in EMS equipment and box safety over that kind of time frame. I cannot agree more on the FORD's though, our's are absolutely the worst with non-stop issues.

So in other words it dont matter if the fdny big wigs like ford dodge chevy GMC Etc wherever the bid is lowest that is who there going with? If that be true no wonder they are going with dodge (drips oil drips grease everwhere)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lowest cost that fits the bid. If it cannot meet certain performance or maintenance issues that they promised, then the company takes a beating on warranty work.

The new trucks haven't hit the field yet, but are allegedly being once overed by the shops. Once they have their say and some miles are put on the trucks around the city streets production will ramp up to full scale and deliveries will begin at I believe 3 a month (thats what it was last time).

FDNY shoots for a 5 years in service front line and 5 years as a spare. Due to delays with the order and expansion we've got '02s back in service as every day vehicles.

it's real, we haven't gotten any on the street yet, oh and it has two blue lights in the back. it also has the extended cab which you can't really see to well since the pic is small.

Edited by prucha25
x635 likes this

That photo is from the dealer. Delivery is set to begin sometime in April with 3 a week until the order is complete. A week or two after delivery they should start hitting the road.

Feeling like a broken record yet? Why bother?

I worked for VCI, who sold the Horton ambulances to FDNY, they said that the EMT's wanted more cab space, so the spec called for a 4 dorr Dodge Cab. Wheeled Coach came in at around $50,000 cheaper then Horton.

Here are two bigger photos, these are not mine and are taken off the FDNY EMS rant website.

post-15126-0-57222800-1300206245.jpg

post-15126-0-24117700-1300206263.jpg