Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Mount Vernon FD Dispatch - Ambulances

25 posts in this topic

I am hearing on the FDMV Channel today, that the Mount Vernon Fire Department Dispatcher is now dispatching the City of Mount Vernon's Ambulance Service (must be the new service in the city). It appears as if there are 2 Ambulances covering the city (Ambulance 1 and Ambulance 2). Does anyone know if both of these ambulances are being quartered at any of the FDMV Fire Houses, then dispatched accordingly? (Maybe 1 out of the Fulton Avenue Station and the other maybe out of the 3rd Street Station) OR are they being dispatched "on the fly"

They are posted out on the street.

Just what we need, ambulance traffic on the Fire Radio!!!!rolleyes.gif

Could be worse Hudson, School buses. We've got that up here, one of our fireground channels are used by the school buses.

"Hey Charlie, go pick the blond kid up on main and 5th!"

Could be worse Hudson, School buses. We've got that up here, one of our fireground channels are used by the school buses.

Are you sure it's a school bus company ???? Maybe a neighboring fire department has been crossed trained to get more productivity out of them. Hey what kids wouldn't love to get a ride to school in the big red fire engine. Or someone's wife getting a ride to the train station !!!!!!!

Is there a problem with this? just a question because it seems to be quite a problem with whatever FDMV does.

I feel your pain....

Saturday night the PD was still dispatching the ambulances. Did this change start on Monday?

It has worked well for us as it solved a lot of problems. The problem with it being on MVFD's fire radio is that you are still using dispatch as fire ground and none of your mutaul aid fire depts. can talk on your radio. Combining fireground and dispatch on the same channel was one of the issues sited in the Hackensack fire.

Barry - I can see where having the Ambulances dispatched at the same time that a Fire Department First Responder Rig is going out, over the same frequency would be of benefit. With NRFD being dispatched by 60 Control, without any conflicts with NRFD Fire Ground, this is probably a "good thing" I was unaware that FDMV Fire Ground was on the same channel as FDMV's Fire Dispatch. Is that indeed the case? If that is so then I too can see some serious radio issues, say during a fire in Mount Vernon, with the staff using that radio frequency during the job, and then having FDMV dispatch trying to support Mutual Aid and NOW, Mount Vernon Ambulance Radio Dispatching and Traffic on top of that.

I would be interested in hearing from those within FDMV on this issue and what there position is on this matter, now that both Ambulance 1 and Ambulance 2 are being dispatched by FDMV dispatch.

"Saturday night the PD was still dispatching the ambulances. Did this change start on Monday?"

Chris - Yes, apparently, this went into effect on March 1st. I have listened to the FDMV Dispatch Channel over the past 2 days and you can definately hear FDMV dispatching both Ambulances covering Mount Vernon, as well as the dispatching of FDMV Engine Companies as "First Responders" to Medical Emergencies within the City of Mount Vernon.

It has worked well for us as it solved a lot of problems. The problem with it being on MVFD's fire radio is that you are still using dispatch as fire ground and none of your mutaul aid fire depts. can talk on your radio. Combining fireground and dispatch on the same channel was one of the issues sited in the Hackensack fire.

Edited by 61MACKBR1

Is MVFD dispatch still in the attic of City Hall? Are they also responsible for EMS calltaking? If so, are they properly staffed for this addition?

there shouldn't be a problem with this because we use another channel on the fire ground.

FDMV has 2 channels it uses channel 2 for the fire ground channel 1 is used to dispatch if that clears things up.

Are there any online scanner sites that cover FDMV dispatch?

If MVPD had no issue with the radio traffic that dispatching EMS caused, why would dispatching EMS over FD be a problem?

FDMV has three channels. One is for dispatch 154.145, the other two are for fire ground. Although sometimes you will hear fire ground traffic on the dispatch channel. Some of the kinks are in the process of being worked out.

Why the sudden change? Was there a problem with the original way of doing things? Does the PD have the capability of talking to EMS directly and vice versa or do the PD Dispatchers have to contact FDMV Dispatch to relay pertinet info from a PD unit already on scene of an incident. I don't see the benefit only a delay in Communications which could be disastrous in the long run."If it aint broke don't fix it!"

Edited by FirNaTine

Why the sudden change? Was there a problem with the original way of doing things? Does the PD have the capability of talking to EMS directly and vice versa or do the PD Dispatchers have to contact FDMV Dispatch to relay pertinet info from a PD unit already on scene of an incident. I don't see the benefit only a delay in Communications which could be disastrous in the long run."If it aint broke don't fix it!"

The FD Commissioner asked to take it over. EMS still has a PD radio and a FD radio.

My own (and non-professional) opinion would be that it "might" be better if Ambulances are dispatched by FDMV rather that MVPD. The reasoning behind this is that, i am led to understand that the Mount Vernon Fire Department usually sends out a Engine Company, as a "First Responder", in addition to the Primary Ambulance Unit assigned to the incident. I am not sure how Ambulances were dispatched prior to this chance (assumption would be that PD Disptached the Ambulances and FD dispatched the First Responder Engine Company). Now with both Ambulances and First Responder Engine Companies being dispatched together, I would say that it would be "more efficient"

I believe that this is that way it is done in New Rochelle and Eastchester, with 60 Control dispatching both Ambulances and First Responder Engine Companies and I believe that it has worked very well for the City of New Rochelle (I will allow Captain Bnechis to comment on that). Other cities/towns/villages do it differently (Yonkers is separate)

I believe fire and police utilize the same dispatchers as they have for years.

I think MVFD should be dispatched by 60-Contorl, This would free up whoever is dispatching to go on the truck/ engine.. That is assuming this is a firefighter postion and not civilan..

so is this actually mount vernon ems or a transcare type emes provider ala new rochelle??

so is this actually mount vernon ems or a transcare type emes provider ala new rochelle??

Transcare provides EMS in both Mount Vernon and New Rochelle, each with their own dedicated units. They use transport units to back the 911 ambulances but don't use 30A1, 30A2 or 30A3 to cover for 32A1 or 32B1.

I believe fire and police utilize the same dispatchers as they have for years.

They don't share dispatchers.

Don't think it will happen, half of these dispatchers are dispatcher linemen. The other half LOD firefighters. This hole EMS change comes from the deputy fire commissioner. He and others think more runs = no layoffs. Look at New Rochelle, city growing, more high rises, more runs and they still have to fight off job cuts so it seems every few years.

I think MVFD should be dispatched by 60-Contorl, This would free up whoever is dispatching to go on the truck/ engine.. That is assuming this is a firefighter postion and not civilan..