Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjpinto

Spy Shots Yonkers Ladder 72

45 posts in this topic

New Ladder 72 a 2010 Spartan/Smeal 100ft Rearmount made a quick stop here in Yonkers this evening before heading into Connecticut for the remaining warrenty work.

post-193-127223984052.jpg

post-193-127223986131.jpg

post-193-127223988873.jpg

post-193-127223991328.jpg

post-193-127223993965.jpg

post-193-127224000869.jpg

post-193-127224008273.jpg

post-193-127224010758.jpg

efdcapt115 likes this

Is this the 1st prepiped ladder pipe for a YFD rearmount or do they have others?

Looks fairly compact, no?

I think that's the angle in the photo. (I told Joe Pinto that I should have done the spyshot with my camera phone but he got all annoyed and called me an amateur.) It was huge in person. They are in the process of re-building the opening of their quarters (Shonnard Pl) so it will fit.

Edited by batt2

Is this the 1st prepiped ladder pipe for a YFD rearmount or do they have others?

First.

AWESOME! Looks great on a Spartan chasis, when I opened this thread I had HME on the mind. I see a few other new spec additions as well, including the brow lights. Too bad they didn't put the new Smeal logo on it.

It probaly has a lot more room then the HME cab, I would assume? Also suprised no chevrons.

Thanks for the spy shots, Joe!

E-309 was delivered to the dealer (NEFEA) last week - L-72 made a pitstop at FDIC before coming this way. Squad 11 should be by later in the week. Look for all 3 to be delivered mid / late May. This is the first prepiped waterway since the ALF tda's which had bed ladder pipes circa 1979 - also 2 ALF pumpers not to far behind in delivery schedule.

Wow, a "VOL" siren in Yonkers.....

I would have put the photo showing the full side but there were too many buffs (batt2) crawling along the top of the rig.

wow... reminds me of my rig ladder 31 in port chester same cab, same body style same setup of rig. except .the extended bumper.. awesome looking truck

Thanks Chief Fitz. I believe that this is the first time ever that YFD has had a Spartan Chassis for any of its rigs. In the recent past, the Smeal Rigs (both Ladder Companies and Reserve/Spare Engine Companies) have been mounted on HME Chassis. I am sure that YFD went to the Spartan Chassis over the HME's for a specific reason. Can't wait to see how the Spartan/Smeal New Squad 11 and Engine 309 turned out. Not surprised that American LaFrance is behind on the deliveries of YFD's New Engine 306 and 308, but as Chief Fitz said, these 2 should be following shortly. Nice to see YFD continuing to maintain their fleet to the highest standard. Now, lets hope the city does not cut the 2 companies that they are talking about doing.

E-309 was delivered to the dealer (NEFEA) last week - L-72 made a pitstop at FDIC before coming this way. Squad 11 should be by later in the week. Look for all 3 to be delivered mid / late May. This is the first prepiped waterway since the ALF tda's which had bed ladder pipes circa 1979 - also 2 ALF pumpers not to far behind in delivery schedule.

helicopper and efdcapt115 like this

It's a very nice looking rig. With the changes in vendors, were you able to keep most of the operating components the same? It seems like the YFD fleet is fairly uniform and I assume this is because of the advantages in both mechanical maintenance and for the firemen when detailed, ect. ect.

Does this thing still have that HUGE lift on the jacks for leveling on those Yonkers hills? That was a very cool feature.

will the truck have rear chevrons?

post-19499-127231704274.jpg

post-19499-127231706389.jpg

Chevrons = Awful.....

It's a great omission.

Great looking truck. Best of luck with it YFD!

I was in INDY for the FDIC show last week and checked out the truck. It was nice to see a Spartan, one thing I liked is how the ladder itself does not go extend/hung much in front of the cab.

I was suprised not to see chevrons on the rear ,as its a NFPA standard now.

I think that's the angle in the photo. (I told Joe Pinto that I should have done the spyshot with my camera phone but he got all annoyed and called me an amateur.) It was huge in person. They are in the process of re-building the opening of their quarters (Shonnard Pl) so it will fit.

Chief, phones make phone calls. Cameras take photos.

Just a head's up;)

How old is the current ladder 72 and what are the futures plans for the old truck?

How old is the current ladder 72 and what are the futures plans for the old truck?

I would suspect that the Current Ladder 72 (2002 HME/Smeal) will go into the Reserve Pool as Ladder 79. The Current Reserve/Spare Ladder 79 (1995 Seagrave 100ft.- Old Ladder 74) will probably go out for Auction. This would leave Reserve/Spare Ladder 78 (Old Ladder 72 and 70 - 1998 Seagrave 100ft) as the last Seagrave Rear Mount Rig left in the City of Yonkers.

Chief Fitzpatrick would be the person who makes the decisions regarding the Apparatus Pool within YFD and would be the best person to provide the most accurate answer on this.

Chief, phones make phone calls. Cameras take photos.

Just a head's up;)

Yeah I know, but it's worth it to see how mad Joe gets when I "scoop" him!

Interesting truck. Looks to have humungous compartment space. Will this truck company be carrying "extras" for special call?

We always craved for space like this, on EFD L-16. But all of those luxurious full size doors and compartments were taken away by a pump and a 500 gallon booster tank.....

Thanks for sharing the photos, best of luck and safe use with the new rig.

I agree. This New YFD Ladder 72 appears to have a tremendous amount of storage space and was spec'd out great (Nice Job YFD). What also stands out based on the great photos that Joe Pinto provided [with the help of Batt2 - LOL : ) ] is the increased "Cab Space". Looking at the Cab on this Smeal/Spartan RM Ladder 72 compared to Ladder 72's current rig (HME/Smeal), the cab size appears to be larger. I was interested in knowing if YFD spec'd out a larger cab space when they went out to bid on this rig (along with possibly the bid on their New Squad 11 and Engine 309, which are also Smeal/Spartan Rigs coming from New England Fire Apparatus? If so, did they also spec out the same additional cab space on their New Engine 306 and 308 coming from ALF?)

Great Job YFD !!!

Interesting truck. Looks to have humungous compartment space. Will this truck company be carrying "extras" for special call?

We always craved for space like this, on EFD L-16. But all of those luxurious full size doors and compartments were taken away by a pump and a 500 gallon booster tank.....

Awesome ladder, but lets get to the point. They want to lay all these guys off and there spending money on more equipment. You said an engine, ladder and squad are being replace. That's great, that money can save at least 15-20 jobs. I understand that you need to spend money on apparatus but really now!

Thats why trucks should be trucks, engines should be engines and quits don't have enoght space to d oeither job well

Awesome ladder, but lets get to the point. They want to lay all these guys off and there spending money on more equipment. You said an engine, ladder and squad are being replace. That's great, that money can save at least 15-20 jobs. I understand that you need to spend money on apparatus but really now!

Those vehicles were in contract before there was ever talk of lay-offs. If they fail to take them the manufacture has the right to sue them, so you will be paying either way. Might as well take them.

Also in a busy dept. replacing rigs saves money because of the high maintenance costs on rigs that are older than about 7-8 years.

Barry - Could not have said it any better. Once a bid is accepted and is under contract it is binding. A Vehicle Manufacturer will not allow any cancellations without severe reprocussions. And as you said, with the number of runs that the rigs in the City of Yonkers go thru on a yearly basis (not counting AFI's) the mileage piles up quickly, thus resulting in maintenence issues. YFD has an outstanding program for rotating rigs out on a scheduled basis.

According to some of the latest reports, the new Smeal/Spartan L72 should be going into service any day now along with the New Smeal/Spartan Squad 11 and Smeal/Spartain Engine 309 (Hey Joe Pinto - Any upcoming Spyshots on Sq11 or E309 that you can share?). Also YFD is scheduled to receive the new E306 and E308 from our friends down at American LaFrance any day now as well.

Those vehicles were in contract before there was ever talk of lay-offs. If they fail to take them the manufacture has the right to sue them, so you will be paying either way. Might as well take them.

Also in a busy dept. replacing rigs saves money because of the high maintenance costs on rigs that are older than about 7-8 years.

True. Also, I believe that equipment costs can be bonded and the cost spread over many years. Even if a rig costs a million dollars, it serves for 8 or 10 years and then goes into a spare pool. That means that the annual cost is less than 100k and that's an amount that cannot pay for 1 firefighter. Either way, equipment and personnel are apples and oranges. The city should be paying for both, not even considering one for the other!

Capital Expenditures are normally amoratized over a 7 to 10 period and in the case of a municipal bid, with government funding involved, their is usually minimal impact on a City's budget over the life expectancy of the piece of apparatus. As one of the posters indicated, the bids and award of contract on these rigs were approved well before the current budget crisis now being felt within the City of Yonkers.

The process to budget, approve budget, finance bonds, spec, precon, build & deliver a rig can take between 2-3 years.

While to the lay person it does seem odd to buy new trucks while laying off FF's & demoting officers. The money is from the Capital budget and is bonded and can not be used for operating expenses.

The ALF's were delyed for over a year when ALF was in bankrupcy. These rigs - 2 ALF Pumpers and the 3 Smeals were from the 06/07 & 07/08 budgets respectively = Since the economy went in the crapper we have not recieved any money in the 08/09, 09/10, and not very likely in 10/11. Because of the time lag in the processed described above that is why we are taking delivery at the current time. We will most likely not see another new rig for at least 3 years.

This is exactly why Chief Fitzpatrick and the YFD has done a remarkable job of ensuring that they have a complete fleet of front line, spare and reserve apparatus. Once YFD completes this latest set of deliveries, they will have:

Engine 303: 2006 ALF Pumper

Engine 304: 2006 ALF Pumper

Engine 306: 2010 ALF Pumper

Engine 307: 2006 ALF Pumper

Engine 308: 2010 ALF Pumper

Engine 309: 2010 Smeal/Spartan Pumper

Engine 310: 2007 ALF Pumper

Squad 11: 2010 Smeal/Spartan Rescue Pumper

Engine 312: 2006 ALF Pumper

Engine 313: 2003 ALF Pumper (Oldest Pumper in Front Line Fleet)

Engine 314: 2006 ALF Pumper

Ladder 70: 2007 Smeal/HME RM Ladder

Tower Ladder 71: 2008 ALF/LTI TL

Ladder 72: 2010 Smeal/Spartan RM Ladder

Ladder 73: 2007 Smeal/HME RM Ladder

Ladder 74: 2007 Smeal/HME RM Ladder

Tower Ladder 75: 2008 ALF/LTI TL

Rescue 1: 2007 ALF Heavy Rescue

SPARE/RESERVE POOL:

Rescue 2: 2000 ALF Heavy Rescue

Engine 300: 1998 Smeal/HME Pumper

Engine 301 (?): Former Engine 306: 2004 ALF Pumper

Engine 302 (?): Former Engine 308: 2002 ALF Pumper

Engine 305 (?): Former Engine 309: 2002 ALF Pumper

Squad 11-A: Former Squad 11: 2006 ALF Rescue Pumper

Engine 315: 1998 Smeal/HME Pumper

Engine 316: 1998 Smeal/HME Pumper

Engine 317: 1998 Smeal/HME Pumper

Ladder 76: 2002 Smeal/HME RM Ladder

Ladder 77 (?): Former Ladder 72; 2002 Smeal/HME RM Ladder

Ladder 78: 1998 Smeal/HME RM Ladder

Ladder 79: 1995 Seagrave RM Ladder

Tower Ladder 80: 2002 ALF/LTI Tower Ladder

Tower Ladder 81: 1999 ALF/LTI Tower Ladder

Also in current spare reserve pool is: 1990/2001 Mack/Baker Tower Ladder (Probably will be sent to Auction)

The process to budget, approve budget, finance bonds, spec, precon, build & deliver a rig can take between 2-3 years.

While to the lay person it does seem odd to buy new trucks while laying off FF's & demoting officers. The money is from the Capital budget and is bonded and can not be used for operating expenses.

The ALF's were delyed for over a year when ALF was in bankrupcy. These rigs - 2 ALF Pumpers and the 3 Smeals were from the 06/07 & 07/08 budgets respectively = Since the economy went in the crapper we have not recieved any money in the 08/09, 09/10, and not very likely in 10/11. Because of the time lag in the processed described above that is why we are taking delivery at the current time. We will most likely not see another new rig for at least 3 years.

efdcapt115 likes this