Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Fan Tased At Baseball Game

32 posts in this topic

At a Phillies game last night a 17 y/o male ran on to the field during gameplay. He was chased for a while by authorities but they had no luck. A Police officer who was chasing the young man took out his taser and tased him in the middle of the field. Do you think this is the correct think to do in a situation like this? To me it seems a little excessive.

Considering the officer that tazed that 10 year old for not getting in the bath last year is still on the force where ever he is I wold expect nothing to come from this what so ever...

Incidents similar to this one warrant real and meaningful review of SOG/SOP for tasering subjects IMHO

At a Phillies game last night a 17 y/o male ran on to the field during gameplay. He was chased for a while by authorities but they had no luck. A Police officer who was chasing the young man took out his taser and tased him in the middle of the field. Do you think this is the correct think to do in a situation like this? To me it seems a little excessive.

Just watched the video, he gets hit by the taser, goes down to the ground, handcuffed, and is back on his feet and walking in less than 30 seconds. It doesn't appear anyone is injured, so why would you think this is excessive? Would tackling him have been better?

Scott

PS Yes, I'm a cop, so I'm a little biased :)

batt2 likes this

Taser or potentially rib-crushing tackle. I'll take five seconds of electricity please. People need some perspective, police officers don't have sunshine and hug cannons they can use to get people to comply.

Anyone who has actually BEEN Tasered (yes, I have) knows that it hurts like hell, but the pain is temporary, 90% you'll be fine in fifteen minutes tops.

Exactly my point 129, unless you've been there, you don't know.

Taser any time! Usually much safer than tackling...Especially for the officer!

To me, it depends who he is a fan of. Phillies fan? Why not the Glock? :P

How many of you armchair quarterbacks who cry "excessive" have actually been in that Officer's shoes? ;)

Not an "arm chair quarterback" but would have done the samething...not a fan of chasing someone for that amount of time..as I say at work I'm fat and don't like to run.

x129K likes this

Not an "arm chair quarterback" but would have done the samething...not a fan of chasing someone for that amount of time..as I say at work I'm fat and don't like to run.

LOL...Agreed! :lol:

If the guy ran onto the field, took out a knife and stabbed Jayson Werth, would you ask why he wasn't tasered before he got to the player?

efdcapt115 likes this

It's funny it seems to me like it's always volunteer firemen or volunteer ems workers who take the time to monday morning quaterback or second guess what the police do...

Do you ever see the cops on here saying things like " I think it was excessive that those vollies had 6 trucks at that fire and they wasted all that water just to save that foundation." WE don't say stuff like that because we have no training or experience in fighting fires just like you have no training or experience in law enforcement.

Before you guys get all in a huff I'm just trying to prove a point, I actually have a lot of respect for you guys who go out there and do it for free.

With that being said, unless you are a cop or you have ever been a cop you really shouldn't be second guessing what a cop does.

If that cop had tackled that kid there is a possibility that they both could have been hurt and then everyone would have been screaming police brutality and then they would be complaining that it cost the city money because now the cop is out injured and it's creating overtime.

Everyone loves you guys, but unlike you WE CAN'T WIN , we are damned if we do and we are damned if we don't.

Deploying the taser in this situation is exactly what they are for, it put a safe end to the situation for everyone. This little punk will not suffer any ill effects from the taser and I can assure you he will think twice before he does something stupid like this again.

x129K, SageVigiles and helicopper like this

Excessive? lol. What planet do you live on...you can clearly see they were telling him to stop and he was evading lawful orders...hence he got welded. They should be applauded as that was a text book use of a TASER in facilitating an arrest. Only thing I can tell you PFD is you asked opinion and gave yours..you didn't arm chair or question anything so don't even buy into those posts.

Crime Cop..sorry..but that street goes both ways. I have just as many cops telling me how I should do my job or giving me "input" on what I need or should do as a firefighter and paramedic as I read questioning some things on here. Even better for me is that I get volunteer FD and EMS to do the same as well...as apparently everyone knows my job functions.

How many of you armchair quarterbacks who cry "excessive" have actually been in that Officer's shoes? ;)

In his shoes by being pissed off that a kid was not listening or fearing for his life as though the kid was going to hurt the officer. My kids don't listen so I have been in those shoes. I have never chased a criminal so I haven't been in those. I did not see a video of it so was the kid streaking! If so that should rule out concealed weapons, except if he was hiding something in the coin slot.

x129K likes this

On a serious note to all PD, what are the chances a person can go into cardiac arrest during a tasering incident. I have no knowledge of the taser and don't really want to find out either. Any input would aid me in crossing off that question from my list.

In his shoes by being pissed off that a kid was not listening or fearing for his life as though the kid was going to hurt the officer. My kids don't listen so I have been in those shoes. I have never chased a criminal so I haven't been in those. I did not see a video of it so was the kid streaking! If so that should rule out concealed weapons, except if he was hiding something in the coin slot.

LOL.... :D

Pretty effective way to end the situation.

Definitely will make the next fool think twice knowing that he may get tased instead of just tackled after making the security look foolish as they chase him around the field. We have all seen those comical chases on the evening news sports highlights and lets face it the security staff does not come off looking too professional. On a different note in 2002 two fans ran on the field in Chicago and beat up first base coach Tom Gamboa. While being subdued a knife fell out of one fans pocket.

Taser or potentially rib-crushing tackle. I'll take five seconds of electricity please. People need some perspective, police officers don't have sunshine and hug cannons they can use to get people to comply.

Exactly, if he or the officer was injured it would have further delayed the game and baseball games are long enough!

If that cop had tackled that kid there is a possibility that they both could have been hurt and then everyone would have been screaming police brutality and then they would be complaining that it cost the city money because now the cop is out injured and it's creating overtime.

Deploying the taser in this situation is exactly what they are for, it put a safe end to the situation for everyone. This little punk will not suffer any ill effects from the taser and I can assure you he will think twice before he does something stupid like this again.

Thank you. This is exactly what the Taser is for. It is a less-lethal force option and was used to control someone who was resisting arrest and ignoring lawful orders to stop. There are use of force policies (SOP/SOG) and they are reviewed regularly so the other member's call for a meaningful review is already being done. Are there abuses? Yes, there are and they should be dealt with. Just like other abuses should be dealt with. The Taser is one of the most benign options in the law enforcement arsenal, IMHO.

..sorry..but that street goes both ways. I have just as many cops telling me how I should do my job or giving me "input" on what I need or should do as a firefighter and paramedic as I read questioning some things on here. Even better for me is that I get volunteer FD and EMS to do the same as well...as apparently everyone knows my job functions.

Yeah, and I'll quit telling you how to do it when you get it right!!! B)

Photo from Associated Press...

taser.jpg

Excessive? lol. What planet do you live on...you can clearly see they were telling him to stop and he was evading lawful orders...hence he got welded. They should be applauded as that was a text book use of a TASER in facilitating an arrest. Only thing I can tell you PFD is you asked opinion and gave yours..you didn't arm chair or question anything so don't even buy into those posts.

Crime Cop..sorry..but that street goes both ways. I have just as many cops telling me how I should do my job or giving me "input" on what I need or should do as a firefighter and paramedic as I read questioning some things on here. Even better for me is that I get volunteer FD and EMS to do the same as well...as apparently everyone knows my job functions.

Have you ever seen a fan just stop when they yell at him or her??biggrin.gif

I still say they should have released the lions....... BRING BACK NERO!!! :lol:

Photo from Associated Press...

taser.jpg

Phenomenal photo! I love the intensity on the guy's face with the Taser, reminds me of the kid in The Hangover...

This picture says it all....

First of all it was a great shot hitting a moving target....

Second, I can't tell what that kid has in his right hand and i bet you the cop or ANYONE ELSE couldn't tell either... he couldn't take the chance, he had to deploy.

The same people that question the manner in which security is provided at these events are the first in line to criticize the police when and incident happens. There have been 2 domestic terrorism incidents in the last week, one involving a sporting event. Personally, I say, if you want to act like a criminal, be prepared to get treated like one.

The taser was the right choice. Anyone that doesn't think so is foolish. With so many whacked out people out there, no cop should ever wait and see what might happen, it could be too late.

For anyone that thinks this kid looked innocent, may I remind you that the "Times Square Terrorist" used to go jogging and people said he was "strange," yet nobody ever spoke up until AFTER he tried blowing up Times Square. I say take action, because if you wait to see what happens, you may regret it.

In regards to someones question about tasers and cardiac arrest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/14/business/14taser.html

Every case I've seen where a Taser was used on someone who later went into arrest, an undiagnosed medical condition or drugs we're found to be factors. There's even at least one case of a taser correcting a dangerous arrhythmia. Tasers are not harmless but they're the best choice for the officers safety and minimal potential harm for the perp. Remember, the officer's safety is paramount.