Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beekman

Kiryas Joel FD awarded a 2009 AFG grant ?

36 posts in this topic

Kiryas Joel Fire Department Monroe NY Vehicle Acquisition $262,675.00 Vehicle Acquisition ($275,000) 05/07/10

From the 14th round of 2009 AFG grants.....so now they are a Fire Department and have to comply with OSHA and PESH?

From the 14th round of 2009 AFG grants.....so now they are a Fire Department and have to comply with OSHA and PESH?

They appear to be a village run dept so I would have to think they would have to comply to all applicable laws and standards

They are official fire department, have been since 2000ish. They used to contract with the Village of Monroe for fire protection, then for assistance on Jewish holy days. They now operate 100% on their own 24/7/365, and are an official part of the Orange County Mutual Aid Plan. They actually use mutual aid & automatic response less then a large amount of other FD's here in Orange County, and have been requested under mutual aid multiple times.

They also like to "self dispatch" to calls and incidents, and are known to show up outside of their jurisdiction on their own. I guess they are trying to be helpful, not sure if I agree or not agree with how they do this.

Considering all the other FD's that don't comply with OSHA and/or PESH and meet NFPA requirements I guess that's not an overwhelming critera for consideration.

Considering all the other FD's that don't comply with OSHA and/or PESH and meet NFPA requirements I guess that's not an overwhelming critera for consideration.

so what dept's dont comply?where would someone find out this information?

To start with, the OFPC training data base. Its amazing how many "firefighters" do not meet the minimum training standards required by NYS & Federal law.

firefighter36 likes this

What "minimum training standards required by NYS & Federal law" are you referring to ? Are you talking about volunteer or career...ICS and OSHA requirements or actually FF1 type training ?

What "minimum training standards required by NYS & Federal law" are you referring to ? Are you talking about volunteer or career...ICS and OSHA requirements or actually FF1 type training ?

To start with, All ff's are required to have hazmat ops before they are allowed to respond on any calls. OFPC always ran it as a 15 hour course. But when they reorganized it under FF1, they dropped it to 6-9 hours (but they never told the instructors what material to cut out) and they still run it as 15 hours stand alone. This was considered ok because the law requires the depts and not NYS to provide the training and it must be customized to each dept. which OFPC can not do. Also every FF must have an annual refresher.

firefighter36 likes this

If I'm not mistaken, the above training, Bloodborne Pathogens, and Right to Know are the only mandated annual training (about 8 hours) for volunteer FFs in NY.

They also like to "self dispatch" to calls and incidents, and are known to show up outside of their jurisdiction on their own. I guess they are trying to be helpful, not sure if I agree or not agree with how they do this.

Why do you say "self dispatch" like it is a bad, or uncommon thing? There are multiple fire departments in Orange County that have their own self dispatch. They do the right thing and respond to everything that they are dispatched to. 99% of their calls come through 7-digit lines to their own dispatch center, which I believe is KJ EMS. Then they call out to OC911 when responding who in turn dispatched the proper FD if it is out side the Village of KJ. Yeah they have a funny accent on the radio, and sometimes are hard to under stand, but every time I hear them on the radio it sounds no worse then the rest of the cluster**** that is emergency communications in Orange County.

I don't think departments can/should self dispatch outside their district even if they get the call on their house phone. Self-dispatching is different then jumping calls, which I believe aviator70 is referring to

I hadn't heard of KJ before this and did some reading on their Wiki page. Very interesting place! From the wiki page it looks like their department will continue to grow, assuming it parallels their population growth

Edited by Alpinerunner

I like their uniforms. I wonder, though if they pass SCBA fit testing with their facial hair.

efdcapt115 likes this

You'd be hard pressed to find one department that is 100% NFPA Compliant.

Why do you say "self dispatch" like it is a bad, or uncommon thing? There are multiple fire departments in Orange County that have their own self dispatch. They do the right thing and respond to everything that they are dispatched to. 99% of their calls come through 7-digit lines to their own dispatch center, which I believe is KJ EMS. Then they call out to OC911 when responding who in turn dispatched the proper FD if it is out side the Village of KJ. Yeah they have a funny accent on the radio, and sometimes are hard to under stand, but every time I hear them on the radio it sounds no worse then the rest of the cluster**** that is emergency communications in Orange County.

I am not talking about that kind of self-dispatch. I am talking about when they show up on their own with no request 30 miles away from their jurisdiction to "help out."

I don't think departments can/should self dispatch outside their district even if they get the call on their house phone. Self-dispatching is different then jumping calls, which I believe aviator70 is referring to

I hadn't heard of KJ before this and did some reading on their Wiki page. Very interesting place! From the wiki page it looks like their department will continue to grow, assuming it parallels their population growth

You are correct in my thinking. Kiryas Joel likes to show up on scenes well outside their jurisdiction without being requested or asked for. They are infamous for doing this at auto accidents and have been known to respond to jurisdictions well outside their jurisdiction even if that department is operating with its own manpower and equipment and not using any mutual aid at all.

I am not talking about that kind of self-dispatch. I am talking about when they show up on their own with no request 30 miles away from their jurisdiction to "help out."

They sound like a bunch of good neighbors to me !!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, the above training, Bloodborne Pathogens, and Right to Know are the only mandated annual training (about 8 hours) for volunteer FFs in NY.

Yes, HM OPS, BBP & RTK are mandated annual refresher training, but that also means they must be certified in the 1st year and then annual refreshers. This is for all FF's not just volunteers. There are additional requirements for career ff's.

Sounds like trouble waiting to happen. There is a reason we use the incident command system, including staging, to prevent freelancing on the fireground. Having a company just "show up" to "help out" without being called creates a supervision problem and puts additional strain on Command's ability to safely control the scene. NIMS prohibits self-dispatch, and any FD, regardless of the type, should follow that.

Well, I think you folks will like this article

Diana lambasts Gillibrand for seeking money for KJ emergency center

GOSHEN – Orange County Executive Edward Diana Tuesday took Senator Kirsten Gillibrand to task for seeking $1 million in federal funds for an emergency operations center in the Village of Kiryas Joel.

www.midhudsonnews.com

Kiryas Joel: Is it pronounced like Curious Joel? Could that be the reason they are apparently responding all over the place?

Just curious myself.

After all I am George.

x129K likes this

Kiryas Joel: Is it pronounced like Curious Joel? Could that be the reason they are apparently responding all over the place?

Just curious myself.

After all I am George.

The pronunciation is Keer'yaz Yo'el. For some reason is transliterated the yud (the "Y" sound) gets written as a J (there is no J sound in Hebrew).

Sorry to be overly critical, and I realize it doesn't really matterbut I've never seen more poorly packed hose (both crosslays and LDH).

http://www.exit109.com/~mikezac/departments/kiryasjoel.html

Man I gotta say, that is one hodgepodge fleet of apparatus, no wonder they're getting a quarter-million for a new rig. I couldn't help but notice how poorly equiped each rig also appears to be; the compartment photos remind me of my old department in the years before we started getting serious about putting the right equipment on board.

I agree about the hose beds, and it appears they are not carrying enough hose to comply with standards.

Anybody notice the sticker in the window of E595? Looks like an old IAFF sticker?

At any rate, Gillibrand is gettting/or got them a million for their EOC. Just remember with politicians, $$ to the constituency equals votes. I think they call it "pork", but definately NOT in this case.

And if any of the KJ members read this thread, if it is true as Alpine has said that you guys are showing up miles outside of your jurisdiction to "help out", in the fire service we call it FREELANCING. It is extremely dangerous, no matter how well intentioned you might be, and it should stop.

Best of luck with your new fire truck.

PS: I love the free-standing water cooler in the back of the rescue. Great place to gather around after a job and shoot the proverbial. Gives the job a white-collar kinda feel no?

helicopper likes this

Guys Ive lived in woodbury all my life and my dad has been a member of the Highland mills fire co. since 1981 and I remember back in 1998 when they bought lakesides old GMC front mounted pumper, yes we all thought it was a joke and alot still to this day still do think they are a joke. No they dont have the best equipment and yes every time they have a working structure fire they constantly call monroe, woodbury, lakeside and harriman (its all in there mutual aid plan). But I tell you they are the kindest group of guys around, they will welcome you into there firehouse wtih open arms and at a fire if they are called mutual aid to another town they will carry out there orders 110%. And about the showing up 30 miles away thing, the reason why that happens is the hisidic jews have the 7 digit number that if they get into an MVA or they see a fire they call that 7 digit number instead of 911 because they either dont know any better or they just feel more comfortable calling their own number and the fire dept gets dispatched and next thing they know there in the city of newburgh. No they really dont go to newburgh, but I have not seen the fire dept going to another town in a while, I mostly see that happening with hatzolah because us gentiles are not allowed to touch their people, ''only they can touch them'', is what im told. Any other questions about KJFD just ask me I live in thet next town over and will be probably able to answer them. And for the record half those trucks are gone the have wilton conn. 2 E-ONE pumpers that replaced the continental compac and E-595 and they also have a 1988 GMC 3500 mini-pumper that replaced that current brush truck that you see, I dont know what they are getting but Ill find out.

Edited by stephen morea

I agree with the other positive posts...the KJFD guys are dedicated to what they do. They work hard and get the job done as best they can.

I do not really care either way, however, thre may be some departments or individuals who do not like to see apparatus and manpower from a village 30 miles away driving up to their scene without calling for them. I am pretty sure that there may be a few legal and liability issues with this also.

Man I gotta say, that is one hodgepodge fleet of apparatus, no wonder they're getting a quarter-million for a new rig. I couldn't help but notice how poorly equiped each rig also appears to be; the compartment photos remind me of my old department in the years before we started getting serious about putting the right equipment on board.

I agree about the hose beds, and it appears they are not carrying enough hose to comply with standards.

Anybody notice the sticker in the window of E595? Looks like an old IAFF sticker?

At any rate, Gillibrand is gettting/or got them a million for their EOC. Just remember with politicians, $$ to the constituency equals votes. I think they call it "pork", but definately NOT in this case.

And if any of the KJ members read this thread, if it is true as Alpine has said that you guys are showing up miles outside of your jurisdiction to "help out", in the fire service we call it FREELANCING. It is extremely dangerous, no matter how well intentioned you might be, and it should stop.

Best of luck with your new fire truck.

PS: I love the free-standing water cooler in the back of the rescue. Great place to gather around after a job and shoot the proverbial. Gives the job a white-collar kinda feel no?

Free lancing, isn't that what that department down in Rockland was doing, the ones who created their own department with a makeshift truck and old equipment, LOL.