Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

The Status Of Hartsdale's Truck Company AKA TL-15

81 posts in this topic

While working in Hartsdale today (5 min ago) I noticed a red Seagrave ladder truck marked Hartsdale truck 46. Was wondering if anyone else has info on it?

Thanks

Ken

I think that is a loaner while the Tower Ladder is out getting fixed it's I think ridgefield Ct's old ladder. Could be wrong on the dept but it's a loaner

straight red a lot smaller then at newer truck...did have foward facing blue lights.

Yes I got it...was stating what I observed as I was going past it

Does anyone know what the status of Hartsdale TL-15 is? Last I knew, it was at Seagrave being evaluated for pre-existing mechanical problems as well as collision damage. In the meantime, Hartsdale is using Ladder 46, a 1976 Seagrave 100' that was replaced by New Fairfield CT VFD.

Apparently, it is still sitting there untouched. Source says Hartsdale does not have the money to pay to get even the neccesary repairs done, which I don't beleive. Anyone know what's really going on?

Seth

I heard they now own that seagrave ladder till they fix or replace the tower ladder

I am probably the only one here that does not know the reason why, but what did it hit, or got hit by ??? the photos show some force damage....

I am probably the only one here that does not know the reason why, but what did it hit, or got hit by ??? the photos show some force damage....

Some of the damage was existing, mainly from unqualified technicians diagnosing and working on the truck, causing even more problems then it began with. A lot of this stems from when Baker was going out of business and producing units that looked indentical with completly different hydrualic/electic build in every one. No schematic followed or anything. And, subsequently, a whole mesh of service centers and service technicians had nothing to go by, and a lot of uneccesary repair money was dumped into the truck, when it probaly should have been replaced or refurbished years ago by Seagrave.

As for the final blow, a piece of construction equipment hit the bucket while Station 2 was undergoing renovations.

Hudson Valley Fire really assisted Hartsdale by working with them and Seagrave engineers in making the repairs as cost efficient as possible. Hopefully, they were able to uppgrade the hyraulics to Aerialscope II standards.

I wish they had the money to put it on a new chasis, the current one is extremly underpowered for the hills in Hartsdale. And paint it red.

I wish they had the money to put it on a new chasis, the current one is extremly underpowered for the hills in Hartsdale. And paint it red.

But then it would not match the rest of the HFD fleet. ;)

Anyone have a picture of the current Ladder 46?

If I am not mistaking, the ladder served with Newtown Hook & Ladder in Newtown, CT before going to New Fairfield. Save would know better then me.

So, according to E-Bay (credit to firdude for the link)

As for Ladder 46:

The Aerial ladder is damaged and is Not Certified for Use by a fire department. The aerial ladder needs approximately $10,000 worth of repair to replace the top rung on each section and then might be servicable.. The vehicle cab shows signs of rust coming through under the paint

So is Hartsdale operating without a ladder or expecting TL-15 back anytime soon?

fairview ladder 1 is running on all calls with a ff from hartsdale riding

As firefighter59 mentioned, I've learned HFD has been assigning a FF to ride on FFD L1 for the past 2 months or so. L1 has been covering HFD's structual runs since they took L46 out of service sometime earlier in the year.

As firefighter59 mentioned, I've learned HFD has been assigning a FF to ride on FFD L1 for the past 2 months or so. L1 has been covering HFD's structual runs since they took L46 out of service sometime earlier in the year.

This may be a stupid question but does the HFD member respond on Fairview calls as well with L1? or just Hartsdale calls?

This may be a stupid question but does the HFD member respond on Fairview calls as well with L1? or just Hartsdale calls?

Yes....

According to a friend who went out to Seagrave to research a possible contract with Seagrave.....

Hartsdale FD's TL-15 has literally been sitting there for weeks, untouched. Supposedly a finacial issue between Seagrave and Hartsdale FD's commisioners. Possibly because Seagrave has found more and more problems as they dig deeper into the repair. So, it's looking like Seagrave will be keeping it, and Hartsdale will be looking into a new or used TL but finances are tight.

TL-15 has always been full of mechanical drama since day 1. Hope they can get another Aerialscope. But used ones are becoming very rare. I'm hearing speculation that Greenville FD is looking to replace Ladder 4 with a 100' straight stick, Fairview has a KME Mid Mount Tower Ladder, I think it would be only proper if Hartsdale got a Tiller.

Use the oppurtunity and tack on to the FDNY Tiller or Aerialscope order, or the Ferrara RM order. Will save thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time. And you know it will be spec'd and engineered well, and looked out for at the factory by FDNY. Additionally, any problems can be related with FDNY helping with future troubleshooting.

According to a friend who went out to Seagrave to research a possible contract with Seagrave.....

Hartsdale FD's TL-15 has literally been sitting there for weeks, untouched. Supposedly a finacial issue between Seagrave and Hartsdale FD's commisioners. Possibly because Seagrave has found more and more problems as they dig deeper into the repair. So, it's looking like Seagrave will be keeping it, and Hartsdale will be looking into a new or used TL but finances are tight.

TL-15 has always been full of mechanical drama since day 1. Hope they can get another Aerialscope. But used ones are becoming very rare. I'm hearing speculation that Greenville FD is looking to replace Ladder 4 with a 100' straight stick, Fairview has a KME Mid Mount Tower Ladder, I think it would be only proper if Hartsdale got a Tiller.

Use the oppurtunity and tack on to the FDNY Tiller or Aerialscope order, or the Ferrara RM order. Will save thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time. And you know it will be spec'd and engineered well, and looked out for at the factory by FDNY. Additionally, any problems can be related with FDNY helping with future troubleshooting.

Greenville has their own share of problems with their new truck. The contractor who does work for my family works for Ladder 4, if I see him I can ask him about that but he keeps sayin the new truck they got is a piece of junk as it constantly has issues with it.

If I am not mistaking, the ladder served with Newtown Hook & Ladder in Newtown, CT before going to New Fairfield. Save would know better then me.

That's affirmative Izzy. Newtown Hook & Ladder got rid of it and New Fairfield picked it up as our first Truck 4 and had Pierce refurb the ladder (no, I don't know why Pierce, that was a few years before I joined New Fairfield.) It served New Fairfield well as a "intro" truck, since we'd never had a ladder before, but we wanted to replace it and get something newer. When New Fairfield picked up Mt. Kisco's former ladder, old T-4 went up to Kent, CT to be assessed for their possible purchase. They ulimately decided against it, and it ended up in Hartsdale when they had the issue with TL-15.

From what I was told, it saw work at a decent sized fire about a year or two back in Mt. Vernon as a mutual aid ladder. Say what you want about the old girl, but she can take a beating like no other. Great rig to train on, we had Capt. Morris from FDNY R-1 teach an Aerial Ops class in New Fairfield and we had some fun with it around town. That, and the Jake Brake on that thing registers on the Richter Scale. Would work well as a spare ladder in Westchester, great to train new operators with.

Tonight I drove past Hartsdale Fire Station 2 HQ and I looked inside the apparatus door and I saw The older Mount Vernon 100' Aerial Ladder with the Bucket & Did not see the old Hartsdale LAdder 49 anywhere not even in the back of the lot , any word on what happened to it I know it had a MVA a while back but I thought it was fine and back in service.

The ladder failed it's test.

Is Hartsdale identifying this ladder as TL-15? Also, who is responsible for insurance, liability, and maintainence? Does

Will Hartdale be applying Hartsdale markings? this fit into TL-15's bay? And will there have to be re-training and redoing preplans for a rear mount tower ladder?

And do the taxpayers know that there sky high fire distrcit tax doesn't buy them a ladder (their own ladder), which in many cases in Hartsdale, can be a life or death situation?

Any photos of Hartsdale's Version of the Old Mount Vernon Ladder?

I believe Fairview's ladder is still being dispatched with hartsdale