Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Newburgh to lose 12 firefighters in 2011 budget

56 posts in this topic

FYI, I heard that at least two of the layed off fireman will be getting hired by a westchester dept, does anyone know if any of the other guys are getting picked up by any dept's? makes good fiscal sense to save the acedemy money for new hires and it helps out the brothers.

Newburgh will continue to use Mutual Aid from the nearby Air National Guard Fire Department at Stewart AFB. I don't believe that the "US Government" can really refuse to respond to a Mutual Aid Request. My understanding is that this practice to call in the ANG from Stewart AFB has been going on for years. As long as Newburgh has this "out" they will continue to take adavantage of it. Sad Politics up in Newburgh indeed.

Newburgh will continue to use Mutual Aid from the nearby Air National Guard Fire Department at Stewart AFB. I don't believe that the "US Government" can really refuse to respond to a Mutual Aid Request. My understanding is that this practice to call in the ANG from Stewart AFB has been going on for years. As long as Newburgh has this "out" they will continue to take adavantage of it. Sad Politics up in Newburgh indeed.

The problem with Air National Guard is that they call their sole structural Engine Out of Service daily as well as their FAST team so they can't be called for mutual aid. The reason I was told that they do this is when their manning falls below a certain level they do not want to leave the airport understaffed.

Truckiehand.......We are all trying to get picked up by any department but as of yet no one has been hired, if any place is hiring send me a PM.

We have been discussing mutual aid for fires but what about just a good old busy day of BS when 1 & 1 are tied up on mva's or other nuisance calls and then they call for assistance just to cover those calls. That is when the other departments will really get pissed off.

Just a bad situation all around!

We have been discussing mutual aid for fires but what about just a good old busy day of BS when 1 & 1 are tied up on mva's or other nuisance calls and then they call for assistance just to cover those calls. That is when the other departments will really get pissed off.

Just a bad situation all around!

This is exactly what we found when our truck was out of service. The local VFD quickly got sick of running BS alarm runs. In most cases our first due would call them off before they'd get out of their station staffed. A few months later, they couldn't staff their truck with any regularity.

Is NFD going to fill out boxes with a full response? Or will they confirm fire before requesting M/A? The latter may appeal to those not wanting overuse, but it certainly puts everyone way behind the curve when a real job is found.

And what about the vollies that regularly call on NFD as FAST or 2nd due? Are they (NFD) going to continue to respond?

With these cuts how long will it take for the call back members to staff a engine or truck and respond to a structure fire? Will it be faster than relying on mutual aid?

Abuse of the mutual aid program will certainly be an issue,i know of one city in Westchester where other depts are not even on the list to go in. There may be some other issues that keep them out of the city but overall if a dept doesn't operate with enough manpower/rigs it will slap them in the face! Keep the faith NEWBURGH FIREFIGHTERS!

If Newburgh is no longer able to provide M/A to the surrounding Companies it no longer is MUTUAL aid!!!!!

Edited by eagle5473

Was at a meeting today and from the horses mouth [union leader] with give backs all are saved!

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Was at a meeting today and from the horses mouth [union leader] with give backs all are saved!

Edited by PCFD ENG58

With the loss of an engine, what will happen to the department's ISO rating? Will insurance rates go up along with the taxes? If I owned a business in Newburgh, I'd sure be concerned....

You can bet that insurance costs will go up once the insurance companies learn the ISO ratings will change and not for the better. As for neighboring VFD, I would respond when it is announced there is a life in danger. If it is a vacant, no. The brothers of NFD need to be reassured that everyone in the area has their backs. Once the life issue is dealt with, take a defensive posture band pack up. you don't need 200 guys to man a few deck guns. building and contents will suffer. In the areas where the buildings are close together, evacuate the entire city block for safety sake. Lost a block and lets see what the city council does.

If the city going to do a recall of off duty personnel for major fires?

Put Eng 3 back in service to cover the city?

How long will it take for a VFD to respond if there is a life in danger? Can the life that is in danger wait for a VFD to respond on mutual aid? Its the first five or six minutes on scene that are most crucial when it comes to life. I'm not knocking any of the surrounding VFD's I just wouldn't want any of the decision makers thinking they can protect their citizens with mutual aid. Houses might be saved but lives could be lost.

I really hope the city and the union can reach an agreement to keep the Brothers on the job. Best of luck fellas, it's tough times right now, but it'll get better.....

Union takes pay cut to save 12 firefighters

The firefighters union in the City of Newburgh and the city’s administration have agreed to a five year contract that will save 12 full-time firemen from being laid off.

I'm glad they came to an agreement, it's sad it had to come down to that.

Union takes pay cut to save 12 firefighters

I'm glad they came to an agreement, it's sad it had to come down to that.

As long as next December the City Council isn't asking for more givebacks. I marched at one of their picket lines, it's a really sad situation in Newburgh. No one wanted to lose these 12 guys, not the citizens, honestly not even the council. The city is completely in shambles. The mayor claims Gov. Patterson essentially told him a variation of Ford's Drop Dead

As long as the downward pressure remains on the economy, it should keep inflation in check. As long as inflation stays in check, the 5 percent will hurt, but it won't destroy the members' ability to live.

Supposedly, real GDP is on a positive track. Supposedly, the economy is growing. But the downward pressure remains on housing.

And this is also being termed a recovery with no jobs growth; a very "strange" recovery. 10 percent unemployment might be the new norm going forward.

All of these economic uncertainties makes it anything but a "given" that conditions will remain stable and the 5 percent cut won't be a serious financial problem for the Brothers. They are also giving up any small percentage increases, so add the 5% to say 2% a year, then a recovery of only 2% in the third year and 3% in the fourth. I think the City agreed to that with probably very few ideas of how they're going to do it. They might be banking on certain parts of the economy improving, and it may. It may not. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

It's a crappy situation, but the Brothers made a statement; they're in it together. Those 12 Brothers should never forget what their fellow firefighters did for them. I hope it works out going forward for the City and the Local, so the can get their pay-cut percentage back, and the city can get on a more stable financial footing. I sure hope the City has something like an Economic Advisory Board, and some kind of growth plan in place. Best of Luck Newburgh Firefighters.

As long as next December the City Council isn't asking for more givebacks. I marched at one of their picket lines, it's a really sad situation in Newburgh. No one wanted to lose these 12 guys, not the citizens, honestly not even the council. The city is completely in shambles. The mayor claims Gov. Patterson essentially told him a variation of Ford's Drop Dead

I'm just curious if, in the spirit of brotherhood, the chief agreed to take a 5% cut over the next 2 yrs. & stand with his men. Already some council members stated they would vote against it, they're probably looking for more. Any takers on the odds that next yr we're back at the same place?

I'm not saying the union shouldnt have agreed to givebacks, i understand the reasons they did what they did. However, now every year the city (any city actually) can come out and threaten layoffs again and expect even more givebacks and they'd have little choice but to give in.

"and no layoff clause through the end of the contract on December 31, 2014."

it appears from the article that part of the stipulation for the give backs is a no layoff clause that last through the life of the contract.

Here we go again! Now the Mayor doesn't want to accept the offering and lay off firefighters after all!

Does it take people to die due to a massive

shortage of firefighters for them to realize

what they are doing?????

Newburgh may face firefighter cuts after all

Even with a collective bargaining agreement reached between the acting city manager and the IAFF Local 589, it appears that the economic recession will cost Newburgh 12 firefighters and force the city to close one of the firehouses.
Edited by JetPhoto

I sure hope they can find a way to fix this. NFD has done more with less for years and I think one of the reasons they don't get more is that they do their job so well. I never get into the political arguments involving NFD because I have good friends on both sides of the argument, but one thing can't be denied ... these guys put out one heck of a lot of fire with very little resources. Good luck to the NFD crew.

From the Fairview(Dutchess) Professional Firefighters Facebook,

Proud to report that Newburgh,NY Local 589 firefighters will be remaining employed, and layoffs have been averted. Public safety, not politics.

From the IAFF 589, Newburgh Firefighters Facebook

Thank you to everyone who worked tirelessly on the new contract. Tonight the city council vote 3-2 in favor of the new contract that keeps the 12 firefighters from being layed off. This has been a very hard 18 months for everyone and the support we have received from everyone was truly overwhelming. Once again thank you all for your time and efforts.

From the IAFF 589, Newburgh Firefighters Facebook

Thank you to everyone who worked tirelessly on the new contract. Tonight the city council vote 3-2 in favor of the new contract that keeps the 12 firefighters from being layed off. This has been a very hard 18 months for everyone and the support we have received from everyone was truly overwhelming. Once again thank you all for your time and efforts.

Great to hear! Best of luck!