Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PEMO3

Freeport LI fire chief is suspended

68 posts in this topic

The linked NY Post Article is regarding a mayor and a fire chief at odds over "Truck Nuts" , rubber testicles for autos, on the back of a fire truck . Interestingly enough they are 'illegal and banned' in Virginia and Florida and carry a hefty fine.

See this article Florida Ban . More on Florida Ban

NY Post Article

You really gotta have b@lls to put these on a rig, and then nuts to not take them off when the mayor asked you too...... :blink:

You really gotta have b@lls to put these on a rig, and then nuts to not take them off when the mayor asked you too...... :blink:

Exactly my thoughts. I am sure there were better fights to pick with the administration, e.g.funding, equipment, etc., then to take a "nobody touches my firetrucks junk" stand. I have seen my share of senseless battles but this one takes the cake.

Edited by PEMO3

Exactly my thoughts. I am sure there were better fights to pick with the administration, e.g.funding, equipment, etc., then to take a "nobody touches my firetrucks junk" stand. I have seen my share of senseless battles but this one takes the cake.

I wonder why it even reached the stage of "senseless battle." I really question the maturity of someone who attaches this to an official or emergency vehicle.

Your own truck? Go for it. I think it looks senseless personally, but, hey it's your truck.

At a time when budgets are being cut, people are being laid off, and we have to fight to preserve a professional image in the emergency services, THIS Is what we get?

What a colossal waste of time and energy.

WHat a waste of time and energy. I do think it looks unprofessional. On the other hand I guess Florida has no other problems if the spent time and effort to make it a law you can't have them. Don't tell New "The Nanie State" Jersey about this.

post4031 likes this

I bet there in a "Conduct Unbecoming" clause in their Rules and Regs..everybody has one. Easy to bring charges against him and it should be an easy dept. hearing and removal of the Chief.

Then why do I have the feeling will turn into a long term fiasco? Does anybody else see that coming?

post4031 likes this

has the fire service gone biserk or what. That fire Chief has a boss--it happens to be the mayor of the town. That elected official is the responsible party and is the one that is held accountable. although it may be cute it is not approate for a village owned piece of apparatus.

You know, with all that problems in today's society, you would HOPE and WISH our lawmakers would be more interested in saving the economy, and making our lives safer, yet they are too busy filibustering, and passing absolutely ridiculously and stupid laws such as this.

Its no wonder so many people have lost faith in our politicians.

You know, with all that problems in today's society, you would HOPE and WISH our lawmakers would be more interested in saving the economy, and making our lives safer, yet they are too busy filibustering, and passing absolutely ridiculously and stupid laws such as this.

Its no wonder so many people have lost faith in our politicians.

I'm the last one to defend politicians, but if our "leaders", in this case a Fire Chief, had some inherent good sense, and a desire to keep his fleet looking crisp and professional, the Mayor would never have needed to become involved, no?

BFD1054, 64FFMJK and helicopper like this

You gotta be real idiot to put those on your own car..........Let alone the volly chief vehicle.............Throw him out of the volly company, just for being an idiot!!!!! I'm sure they have more "Qualified" people to take over the chief's position!

99subi likes this

has the fire service gone biserk or what. That fire Chief has a boss--it happens to be the mayor of the town. That elected official is the responsible party and is the one that is held accountable. although it may be cute it is not approate for a village owned piece of apparatus.

The Mayor is not necessarily the Chief's boss. If Freeport is a city or a village, then it is possible that the Mayor is the boss.

If it is a Town, it would have a Town Superviser, not a Mayor and towns don't have Fire Depts, they have Fire Districts, not accountable to the Town Gov't. They are governed by a Board Of Commissioners who is the Chief's boss.

Even in a village or city, the Mayor's function could only be to preside over City Council. Or the FD could be governed by a board of wardens

or similar body.

But you are right, Cap the Chief has a boss. I always knew who my boss was at any given time and I am sure this goes for you too.

You are also right in questioning the berzerkity (I made a new word) or what of the Fire service. It's probably "or what" because if it were berzerk, people would know it.

Remember the days, Cap, when we were America's Heros? It wasn't that long ago, was it? What the he** happened?

Interestingly enough they are 'illegal and banned' in Virginia and Florida and carry a hefty fine.

See this article Florida Ban . More on Florida Ban

NY Post Article

I'm the last one to defend politicians, but if our "leaders", in this case a Fire Chief, had some inherent good sense, and a desire to keep his fleet looking crisp and professional, the Mayor would never have needed to become involved, no?

Sir, I was more referring to the above quoted laws, and a general statement, than the specific person(s) involved in the LI incident.

This is very unprofessional and frankly quite embarrassing...

Does Florida really not have any bigger issues to deal with?

You gotta be real J.O. to put those on your own car..........Let alone the volly chief vehicle.............Throw him out of the volly company, just for being an a$$hole!!!!! I'm sure they have more "Qualified" people to take over the chief's position!

It was not on the Chiefs car...it was on one of the Trucks. Not for nothin' I wouldn't want to be driving the rig with a set of those things flapping around me!!!!

It was wrong not to take them off, but I hope all the guys here asking for him to be removed or tossed out, have never done anything stupid in their careers. The 30 days and embarrassment I think are enough. There may be something more to it with the mayor that we dont know about.

The Mayor is not necessarily the Chief's boss. If Freeport is a city or a village, then it is possible that the Mayor is the boss.

If it is a Town, it would have a Town Superviser, not a Mayor and towns don't have Fire Depts, they have Fire Districts, not accountable to the Town Gov't. They are governed by a Board Of Commissioners who is the Chief's boss.

Even in a village or city, the Mayor's function could only be to preside over City Council. Or the FD could be governed by a board of wardens

or similar body.

But you are right, Cap the Chief has a boss. I always knew who my boss was at any given time and I am sure this goes for you too.

You are also right in questioning the berzerkity (I made a new word) or what of the Fire service. It's probably "or what" because if it were berzerk, people would know it.

Remember the days, Cap, when we were America's Heros? It wasn't that long ago, was it? What the he** happened?

Hey Chief, looking at your age, you were part of the true old skool days......the unedited stories I have heard of things that went on, from relatives and other old timers back in the day, from my place to FDNY there was all kinds of crazy stuff going on, some worse then this. Maybe in your neck of the woods it was mellow, but "berzerkity" went on back in the day, not just the "new generation" of firefighter.

Way to go Marc; make it into a volly thing. If it was a paid guy would you have said....... "Let alone the paid chief vehicle"? or "Throw him out of the Paid company," ?? Your post was very transparent and I think its something the moderators in here need to review.

Only one seeming to make it a "volunteer" issue is you. Only thing that needs to be reviewed is your over sensitivity. I read right through that post and that is the last thing that crossed my mind. Is he not in fact a member and officer of a volunteer department? Last time I checked I see XYZ "volunteer fire department" on apparatus, buildings, t-shirts, ball caps, winter caps, jackets, car stickers, turn out gear, etc. of volunteer departments but its an issue if someone puts it in a post? Couldn't tell you I've ever seen "paid" "professional" etc. fire department on anything. Enough with this crap already. This is a free will site, you don't have to read it. Many of you need to put your man pants on.

Bottom line is...regardless of who governs what...this is utterly ridiculous. What a moron. Fire district or not...if you cover a town or village and I was the supervisor, town manager, village mayor..I'd have something to say about it. Sometimes the biggest hang up in volunteer departments I've been part of is persons with a sense of entitlement or perceived power and this seems like that instance.

As far as states having better to do. There is plenty...however Florida does pretty well compared to most other states and if they took the time to ban something so be it. I doubt it took that much time and effort..unlike everything in our state. I could care less if NY banned them...hell I might applaud they actually got something accomplished.

helicopper likes this

There may be something more to it with the mayor that we dont know about.

You definitely have a point here. It seems like there was a power struggle or flexing of muscles on some level here. We will probably never know the whole story anyway.

I guess there are two lessons to be learned here. 1. Think before you act and 2. when the "boss" gives you an order to do something do it or it could turn around to bite you in the - - - .

We have all done things without thinking and I am sure that the chief in this case is going through the "could have, should have, would haves" right now and wondering how a simple pair of $25 rubber testicles became national news.

BFD1054 and efdcapt115 like this

Only one seeming to make it a "volunteer" issue is you. Only thing that needs to be reviewed is your over sensitivity. I read right through that post and that is the last thing that crossed my mind. Is he not in fact a member and officer of a volunteer department? Last time I checked I see XYZ "volunteer fire department" on apparatus, buildings, t-shirts, ball caps, winter caps, jackets, car stickers, turn out gear, etc. of volunteer departments but its an issue if someone puts it in a post? Couldn't tell you I've ever seen "paid" "professional" etc. fire department on anything. Enough with this crap already. This is a free will site, you don't have to read it. Many of you need to put your man pants on.

Bottom line is...regardless of who governs what...this is utterly ridiculous. What a moron. Fire district or not...if you cover a town or village and I was the supervisor, town manager, village mayor..I'd have something to say about it. Sometimes the biggest hang up in volunteer departments I've been part of is persons with a sense of entitlement or perceived power and this seems like that instance.

As far as states having better to do. There is plenty...however Florida does pretty well compared to most other states and if they took the time to ban something so be it. I doubt it took that much time and effort..unlike everything in our state. I could care less if NY banned them...hell I might applaud they actually got something accomplished.

You and I are simply going to agree to disagree. Before I posted I had three FF'se review what marc posted just to make sure that I wasn't over reacting; all three agreed that he was baiting and turning it into a volly thing. btw one of the FF's is career and he agreed with me also, so while your entitled to your opinion, we are will not be able to agree and I think the Moderators ought to review the post from Marc and if they deem necessary, remove it.

It's "crap" like this that causes people to become frustrated with this site and yes, this is a free site ane we don't have to read it; then you hear people moaning that particpation levels are down. wonder why? Think twice before you post.

I can understand Florida having a law for that, the state is full of older gentleman who's own set hang that low to start with. Why would they want to see it in public. LoL

BFD1054, JM15, RescueKujo and 1 other like this

I can understand Florida having a law for that, the state is full of older gentleman who's own set hang that low to start with. Why would they want to see it in public. LoL

I might have just puked a little...laugh.gif

You and I are simply going to agree to disagree. Before I posted I had three FF'se review what marc posted just to make sure that I wasn't over reacting; all three agreed that he was baiting and turning it into a volly thing. btw one of the FF's is career and he agreed with me also, so while your entitled to your opinion, we are will not be able to agree and I think the Moderators ought to review the post from Marc and if they deem necessary, remove it.

It's "crap" like this that causes people to become frustrated with this site and yes, this is a free site ane we don't have to read it; then you hear people moaning that particpation levels are down. wonder why? Think twice before you post.

No problem disagreeing...we've both agreed and disagreed on topics before. I respect you so don't take it personal. And you're right I am entitled to my opinion..but will stand by my post only one making it an issue is you. Good for the other gang that thinks that it was an issue as well. But as always that post would fly right by...but you highlighted it...no one else that you took issue to it...so hence it becomes an issue.

As far as think twice before posting. Don't know if it was general in nature..but I can say I don't need to. I'm educated, articulate, professional, blunt and realistic. Many characteristics that don't bode well or are present in many in our business.

I dont wonder why sometimes participation is low. Many..and I mean many just don't like to be corrected when they post misinformation or can't take it when someone posts the slightest thing they take personal if its interpreted or even something said in regard to volunteering. Some things that are flat out true in some cases. When I was a volunteer I never took it personal..it wasn't what my life hinged on at that time..my actual job did. I didn't feel it was my mission to keep a working person from doing things I'd like to do or achieve at my job or "to keep them from taking something over" myth and often it didn't apply to me as I was academy trained and current and proficient in the fire service. That is my point brother. Nothing more...nothing less.

No problem disagreeing...we've both agreed and disagreed on topics before. I respect you so don't take it personal. And you're right I am entitled to my opinion..but will stand by my post only one making it an issue is you. Good for the other gang that thinks that it was an issue as well. But as always that post would fly right by...but you highlighted it...no one else that you took issue to it...so hence it becomes an issue.

As far as think twice before posting. Don't know if it was general in nature..but I can say I don't need to. I'm educated, articulate, professional, blunt and realistic. Many characteristics that don't bode well or are present in many in our business.

I dont wonder why sometimes participation is low. Many..and I mean many just don't like to be corrected when they post misinformation or can't take it when someone posts the slightest thing they take personal if its interpreted or even something said in regard to volunteering. Some things that are flat out true in some cases. When I was a volunteer I never took it personal..it wasn't what my life hinged on at that time..my actual job did. I didn't feel it was my mission to keep a working person from doing things I'd like to do or achieve at my job or "to keep them from taking something over" myth and often it didn't apply to me as I was academy trained and current and proficient in the fire service. That is my point brother. Nothing more...nothing less.

Thank you for your most eloquent post. :)

As sad as this might sound in some cases its the only set of ****s a Chief might have! lol

He is doing this for FREEEEEEE! Suspending him only makes it more of a burden for the rest of the members. Having these 'things' on the rig is tasteless at best, but the Mayor is right, I would be upset if my young yet unborn daughter was to ask me what those things hanging on the back of the fire engine were.

Hey Chief, looking at your age, you were part of the true old skool days......the unedited stories I have heard of things that went on, from relatives and other old timers back in the day, from my place to FDNY there was all kinds of crazy stuff going on, some worse then this. Maybe in your neck of the woods it was mellow, but "berzerkity" went on back in the day, not just the "new generation" of firefighter.

OK, Chief, ya got me on the old days. Then it was Shenanigans, some were fun, some a bit dangerous, some bordered on the outrageous, and some, if done today would generate lawsuits. A sentence like the one I just wrote is normally followed by a "BUT" sentence and I'm not going to do that. The difference, and a big difference it is, is that none of the Tom Foolery was carried out in the public eye.

The water-in-the-boots and cupcake-in-the-helmet tricks are still carried out by today's FF's but what happens in quarters stays in quarters. We are not discussing the differences in the generations here. The person in question here is THE CHIEF!!! THE F%##$ CHIEF!!!

I also have as much respect for my younger Brothers as I did for the ones I worked with years ago. The job of a fire officer is to pass all your knowledge on to the young FF's and hopefully they will add it to their knowledge bank. After you leave, there should be left a corps of FF's that are smarter and safer than we ever were.

If that isn't the result of your career, then you have failed.

PEMO3 and Bnechis like this

Re: the earlier inquiries about the government entity involved in this case. Freeport is an incorporated village, and it is a "village" fire dept, not a fire district. So, presumably the mayor is "the boss".