Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

2011 Career Fire Academy class [Westchester]

36 posts in this topic

The last few class's did not take place, will there be one in the first part of 2011?

From what I've heard, nobody has hired, so I don't think there is a need for the academy(again). Hopefully after the new test comes out....

FD have not hired yet I would assume because they cannot until the completion of CPAT, (which is the agility) portion of the process.

Looks like Montour Falls has a class starting Feb 28. Rye is hiring one starting Jan 1. Ang did PC hire any?

Looks like Montour Falls has a class starting Feb 28. Rye is hiring one starting Jan 1. Ang did PC hire any?

NOPE, 7 DOING THE JOB OF 16 !

FD have not hired yet I would assume because they cannot until the completion of CPAT, (which is the agility) portion of the process.

WESTCHESTER USED TO GIVE CPAT after they were hired, sometime during proby school.

Demps, don't tell me they are now doing it before hiring, just like the rest of the world!!

It's Westchester County Personnel. They can't have caved and doing things right.

For those on the list: If you call County Personnel with a question, make sure you get two others to call on the same day with the same question. You will probably get three different answers.

efdcapt115 likes this

WESTCHESTER USED TO GIVE CPAT after they were hired, sometime during proby school.

Demps, don't tell me they are now doing it before hiring, just like the rest of the world!!

It's Westchester County Personnel. They can't have caved and doing things right.

For those on the list: If you call County Personnel with a question, make sure you get two others to call on the same day with the same question. You will probably get three different answers.

CPAT before hiring has been the norm for a few years now!

cpat is the agility test for the depts outside of the vulcan decree, we still have to give it to the 4 cities recruits sometime during probie school.

:angry:

NOPE, 7 DOING THE JOB OF 16 !

I hear the latest "idea" from the powers that be is to have the magnificent 7 to work from 7 am to 7 pm and let the vols cover the rest,including Rye Brook

Vulcan Decree- thats still in place after 30 years?

Due to the economy there has been very little movement on the list and from what I hear there will not be a class in the Spring. I believe most hire's in recent months/years have been layed off firemen from sourounding departments, I know that the list has had very little movement, I have a very hirable list number(right around 70) and have barely been canvised and not been interviewed, due to no job opening or openings not being filled. If I had to guess the next class, whenever that may be, will not be hired off the current list, but the one offered in March, guess I got to study some more!

Is Rye FD going to send the new FF to Montour Falls? I would think so, seeing as that's probably the only option. We probably broke records with four of us Westchester boys in the 2010-1 class at the Falls.

:angry:

I hear the latest "idea" from the powers that be is to have the magnificent 7 to work from 7 am to 7 pm and let the vols cover the rest,including Rye Brook

What about the Rye Brook Contract! half of it is for eng 59 to relocate there !

Is Rye FD going to send the new FF to Montour Falls? I would think so, seeing as that's probably the only option. We probably broke records with four of us Westchester boys in the 2010-1 class at the Falls.

I think fingers and toes are crossed that somehow the county has a class. Failing that yes I would think the new guy will be Montour bound(lucky him). He will be the third guy from Rye to go north for school.

Down here, they can't recruit qualified canidates fast enough.

They've come up with lateral entry programs, which not only gets firefighters out on the streets faster (and cops), but it saves them the money of having to train a civilian.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/hr/jobdesc/rpts/jobreport.cfm?codeid=5061

Unfortunately, a lot of firefighters in certain departments that send firefighters through the WC academy also take transfers, which screws up the entire process. Maybe if some of these departments stop tooking transfers and hired off the list, there would be enough canidates for a class.

Also, what about teaming up with other departments in Connecticut or New Jersey, to have a "regional" academy? I know each state has it's laws and what the academy has to teach, but I'm sure they could develop a curriculum that suits everyone's needs. It's not fair to make these guys have to leave their families to go to Montour Falls for weeks.

Or maybe the WC academy can take people who want to put themselves through the academy, and then give them preference on the exam?

Most transfers are on the list and when their number is called well lucky them they already have the training.

Down here, they can't recruit qualified canidates fast enough.

They've come up with lateral entry programs, which not only gets firefighters out on the streets faster (and cops), but it saves them the money of having to train a civilian.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/hr/jobdesc/rpts/jobreport.cfm?codeid=5061

Unfortunately, a lot of firefighters in certain departments that send firefighters through the WC academy also take transfers, which screws up the entire process. Maybe if some of these departments stop tooking transfers and hired off the list, there would be enough canidates for a class.

Also, what about teaming up with other departments in Connecticut or New Jersey, to have a "regional" academy? I know each state has it's laws and what the academy has to teach, but I'm sure they could develop a curriculum that suits everyone's needs. It's not fair to make these guys have to leave their families to go to Montour Falls for weeks.

Or maybe the WC academy can take people who want to put themselves through the academy, and then give them preference on the exam?

So are you advocating hiring a person off the list (not yet a brother) who has not gone through academy instead of hiring a recently laid off brother who actual has?

Not only does that not make any fiscal sense but flies in the face of our "brotherhood". Just sayin...

So are you advocating hiring a person off the list (not yet a brother) who has not gone through academy instead of hiring a recently laid off brother who actual has?

Not only does that not make any fiscal sense but flies in the face of our "brotherhood". Just sayin...

Think he's talking about a pure transfer. IE: getting hired by a small, slower, dept...go to the academy and complete probation then transfer to a larger job covered by the towns and villages exam.

Think he's talking about a pure transfer. IE: getting hired by a small, slower, dept...go to the academy and complete probation then transfer to a larger job covered by the towns and villages exam.

There are only 15 depts that use the T&V list (Eastchester, Fairview, Greenville, Harrison, Hartsdale, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Mohegan, Peekskill, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Portchester, Rye, Rye Brook, & Scarsdale)

I do not see many "larger jobs" and do not see many trasfers going on between these.

There are only 15 depts that use the T&V list (Eastchester, Fairview, Greenville, Harrison, Hartsdale, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Mohegan, Peekskill, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Portchester, Rye, Rye Brook, & Scarsdale)

I do not see many "larger jobs" and do not see many trasfers going on between these.

Look harder, Barry.

Greenville has taken transfers from:

Peekskill

Mohegan

Mamorneck

hartsdale

Port chester

pelham manor

to name a few plus form My Vernon and New Rochelle when they were having thier problems a few years ago.

There are only 15 depts that use the T&V list (Eastchester, Fairview, Greenville, Harrison, Hartsdale, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Mohegan, Peekskill, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Portchester, Rye, Rye Brook, & Scarsdale)I do not see many "larger jobs" and do not see many trasfers going on between these.
Greenville has taken transfers from:

Peekskill Mohegan Mamorneck hartsdale Port chester pelham manor to name a few plus form My Vernon and New Rochelle when they were having thier problems a few years ago.

Nothing against Greenville, but I did not consider them to be a "Larger Job" taking transfers from "slower depts."

Nothing against Greenville, but I did not consider them to be a "Larger Job" taking transfers from "slower depts."

Port Chester "slower depts" ?????????????

Thats ok Capt I thought you were referring to departments taking transfers.

have a great Holiday

I think that Fireman transfering to these "busy depts" deal more with the work that they get, ie I know people who have transfered to Hartsdale and Greenville because they are looking to be more then a Driver. I think depts like Hartsdale, Greenville, Eastchester, Fairview, and Scarsdale attract transfers because they are actually doing the day to day operations as oppsose to "just" driving. If you look at a Depts like Mohegan, Town of Mamaroneck, and Peekskill, most of the time the Firefighter is driving and operating the truck, an important job, but I think most fireman, especualy younger guys would rather be streaching lines, searching, or just investigating the Auto Alarm. Maybe it's just me, I would take any Career Job in a heart beat, but I would perfer to go someplace where I was a rider, not just a driver. Any thoughts, I am always looking for input.

I think that Fireman transfering to these "busy depts" deal more with the work that they get, ie I know people who have transfered to Hartsdale and Greenville because they are looking to be more then a Driver. I think depts like Hartsdale, Greenville, Eastchester, Fairview, and Scarsdale attract transfers because they are actually doing the day to day operations as oppsose to "just" driving. If you look at a Depts like Mohegan, Town of Mamaroneck, and Peekskill, most of the time the Firefighter is driving and operating the truck, an important job, but I think most fireman, especualy younger guys would rather be streaching lines, searching, or just investigating the Auto Alarm. Maybe it's just me, I would take any Career Job in a heart beat, but I would perfer to go someplace where I was a rider, not just a driver. Any thoughts, I am always looking for input.

Im 100% with you on this.

Im 100% with you on this.

And I think that the two of you should take a second to reflect on your storied exploits in the fire service in the scant few years since you've been 18. You know, the ones that allow you to call academy graduates who are 25 years into their career "just drivers." Perhaps those guys transferred because they were sick of 20 year old kids fresh out of FF1 who, in a mockery of the service, wear captain's bars, passing judgment on their profession.

Bnechis likes this

Raz I'm on your side. Im just saying what he said holds true. The career staff in some of the other dept such a Peekskill,Mohegan ect wont get to do as much Firefighting as lets say a New Rochelle FF gets to do. Im not saying they are just drivers,they do plenty, and without them most of those dept would fail. but they dont get to do as much firefighting because they are understaffed and volley's tend to boss them around. I agree with what your saying. I agree with both of you. I wouldnt want some punk kid who volly's bossing me around at my JOB. That would grind my gears!

And I think that the two of you should take a second to reflect on your storied exploits in the fire service in the scant few years since you've been 18. You know, the ones that allow you to call academy graduates who are 25 years into their career "just drivers." Perhaps those guys transferred because they were sick of 20 year old kids fresh out of FF1 who, in a mockery of the service, wear captain's bars, passing judgment on their profession.

I'm 100 percent with you on this.

Raz I'm on your side. Im just saying what he said holds true. The career staff in some of the other dept such a Peekskill,Mohegan ect wont get to do as much Firefighting as lets say a New Rochelle FF gets to do. Im not saying they are just drivers,they do plenty, and without them most of those dept would fail. but they dont get to do as much firefighting because they are understaffed and volley's tend to boss them around. I agree with what your saying. I agree with both of you. I wouldnt want some punk kid who volly's bossing me around at my JOB. That would grind my gears!

In that case, please accept my apologies. Have a Merry Christmas.