Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Does Yonkers FD use 5 inch hose?

21 posts in this topic

I have never seen 5 inch hose on Yonkers apparatus.

Any reason why or just specific companies carry it?

I think only certain units do. I believe Engine 312 uses Angus 5'' Supply.

Retract my previous statement

DFFD,

I believe only Eng 309 has the LDH supply. I dont understand why they dont have it on all of their Engines. To me one 4" or 5" LDH is a whole lot easier to lay in, as well as hook up. Its also a whole lot less hose on the ground at major incidents making it easier for crews to pick out regular handlines. At the Caryl Ave fire, Eng 309 stretched the LDH from McLean Ave up Caryl. When walking closer to the fire building, it looked like charged hoselines were all over the place, but I couldnt for the life of me figure out what was supply and which were attack.

Im sure Yonkers has their reasons, just like FDNY, but less hoselines on the fireground means less things to trip over as well as less things to go wrong.

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt a 5" hose be used for drawing water from a body of water into a tanker. Up county, we dont have draw lines to fill our tankers, which are about 5" diameter.. Once again apologies if im off topic.

If I understand you correctly, the hard suction used to fill from a static water source are most commonly 6 inch.

I personally don't know if Yonkers carries LDH. From what I have seen, most departments in the lower end of the county that do carry LDH have 4".

Okay-since we don't have the luxery-all we do is draft--not to get off topic but 5" or 6" reall depends on your pump size and what you spec. Our source truck has 6"--60' of it to be exact. It has a 1750gpm pump-which when set up eith 2 inlets used--can easily exceed it--AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE DISCHARGES. It also carries 3,600 feet of 5" LDH. We need to get the water from the source to the scene as fast and easily as possible. All of our other trucks have 1,000 gpm pumps with 5" suction.

5" Supply line has less friction loss for one thing and obviously higher flow capacity. Like the golden rule--big fire--big hose.

Engine-312 & 309 have 5". The rest of the Engines use 3-1/2" supply lines as of right now.........

R1, is that going to change anytime soon? I agree with Pudge, less hose on the ground, along with hoses of different sizes makes it easier to distinguish what is going where without having to trace its path from the engine to the other end.

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt a 5" hose be used for drawing water from a body of water into a tanker.

The 5" line being refered to here is a supply hose. Useless for suction, but unbeatable for moving big water

The YFD as mentioned by R1Smokeater currently have 312 & 309 as LDH units there is plans within the next few months to equip at least 1 more company w/ LDH (we currently have enough LDH on order to due 1 more company now ) and early next year to do a few more - eventually swithcing all units to LDH

I've often heard (not specifically Yonkers) that many cities do not like 5", or LDH, because of water source dependabilty and short lay ins. With 3" supply lines, you have feeds coming from different sources in case one gets cut off. In an urban enviroment, the possiblity of the hose being ruptured by whatever factor is high.

5" is definetly a benefit to moving a large amount of water quickly, so it will be interesting how operations are modified into an urban enviroment due to it, and if any redundancy is lost.

Remember that YFD was using and still continues to use 3.5" Supply hose with 2.5" couplings in 50' lengths. Yes, it is alot easier to move then 5" but the friction loss, coupling cost factors and sheer water volume play a huge part in the transition to 5". Try supplying a tower ladder and an engine with 3.5" hose + add the age and demographics of the water supply system and 5" is a no brainer. java script:emoticon('=D>')

Stay low and keep safe

I'm from an area that has both hydranted sections and sections where we rely on tankers for water supply. We always use 5 inch for a supply line regardless of location. One is because it gives us more water with less hose all over and 2 because of friction loss. I tihnk in an urban situation like yonkers or fdny it's easier useing 3 or 3.5 supply lines due to lengths normally used. And iff it comes down to it you can hook 2 3 inch lines giving you technically a 6 inch supply line and if i remember right from pump ops with the fl you would have the same reult of 5 inch then. It would be nice to see alot of depts going to a bigger supply line so it is easier to identify, less hose scattered all over the place, and makes for an easier clean up

i dont think they have enough man power to clean up the hose after a big fire.

Currently only Eng. 309 is carrying the LDH...E312's stash is on the barn floor due to rig problems...While the Smeal is out and they are in an older Mack they are unable to carry due to space on the truck...

i dont think they have enough man power to clean up the hose after a big fire.

You can pretty much pack-up your 5" with 3-4 people. It won't be "parade packed," but it will be on the rig where it belongs.

I've picked up 5 inch with 3 guys before..just have the driver of then engine back up as you feed it to the hosebed and there ya go...truck is packed up in no time

I've picked up 5 inch with 3 guys before..just have the driver of then engine back up as you feed it to the hosebed and there ya go...truck is packed up in no time

Good idea about the driver driving the truck in reverse.

And iff it comes down to it you can hook 2 3 inch lines giving you technically a 6 inch supply line and if i remember right from pump ops with the fl you would have the same reult of 5 inch then.

2x3" dia hose does not equal 6" diameter. Flow rate is a function of Area*Velocity and since the area of a circle is pi*radius^2 an increase in diameter creates an exponential increase in area and flow rate.

For comparision:

A=pi*®^2

R=D/2

two lenths of 3"

D=3"

R=1.5"

2*(pi*3^2)=9*pi

1 lenth of 5"

D=5"

R=2.5"

pi*2.5^2=12.5*pi

Therefore one 5" LDH will always give you more water than two 3" supply lines.

The Cities of White Plains, New Rochelle, and Mount Vernon all have 5" hose for reasons specified above.

Now, about that 2" main that the hydrant feeds off of ....

It all depends on the circumstances and local conditions