Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Groundhog Day Storm/Blizzard Coming ?

19 posts in this topic

According to preliminary reports from both Accuweather.com (below), the Weather Channel, and all of the local Television Stations in our area, the weather front that appears to be developing that will affect the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut Metropolitan Areas this upcoming week, now being tabbed as the "Great Groundhog Day Blizzard" might be the worst of the storms that have already hit us this winter, including the one that came right after Christmas.

Other than the Snow Melting Equipment that a few muncipalities have, many just have move the snow to other parts of their cities/towns/villages. Now with this alleged "Groundhog Day Super Storm" coming, is there any more room to put this snow? (Added to the fact that many our cities, towns, and villages snow removal budgets are well gone, where will the money come from to handle this upcoming storm, not mention any others that we could still see this winter?

PS - I don't know if the Groundhog will see his shadow this winter, because that rodent will probably be buried under 2 feet of snow.

firedude likes this

Given the amount of snow we've gotten, which has obviously affected I'll say the tri-state area at least; is there any chance of state or federal aid? Obviously it's nothing as bad as a massive earthquake or tornado, but the snow is draining or has drained a lot of the areas snow budgets. Is there any way towns/villages/cities could request some sort of aid? As far as where to put the snow, find any parks you can and give the kids lots of hills to go sledding on.

Given the amount of snow we've gotten, which has obviously affected I'll say the tri-state area at least; is there any chance of state or federal aid? Obviously it's nothing as bad as a massive earthquake or tornado, but the snow is draining or has drained a lot of the areas snow budgets. Is there any way towns/villages/cities could request some sort of aid? As far as where to put the snow, find any parks you can and give the kids lots of hills to go sledding on.

Yes, FEMA Aid can be requested. Lets take New Jersey as an example...

FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey will seek federal aid to help cover cleanup costs related to the monster winter storm that dropped up to 30 inches of snow on the state

Full Article

Edited by firedude
M' Ave likes this

Yes, FEMA Aid can be requested. Lets take New Jersey as an example...

You can request it but there are minimal cost thresholds based on both county and state population that must be met. It is very difficult to get a declaration unless a large % of the State gets hit or the costs are very high. NJ may have a better shot, because most of the state got hit. NYS this was a downstate event.

Does the State have to declare an state of emergency inorder for FEMA aid to be requested?

After the fact is ok.

Does the State have to declare an state of emergency inorder for FEMA aid to be requested?

You got a rep point for your avatar...lol

How much are they predicting, and is this primarily targeting the downstate area again or will upstate get it as well? I wonder if any highway department has ever requested mutual aid in the past??? :rolleyes:

How much are they predicting, and is this primarily targeting the downstate area again or will upstate get it as well? I wonder if any highway department has ever requested mutual aid in the past??? :rolleyes:

Accuweather has it at 3.4 inches, and no offense boys, but this girl isn't going to get excited over 3 inches.

Everyone needs to calm down. Its winter, and it snows. You have to deal with it. Short of major flooding and erosion from coastal storms, do we really need FEMA aid for every storm?

Read your weather map correctly.It is for Chicago. National weather says nothing of a blizzard. NWS.NOAA.GOV Why say stuff that isnt true.

Edited by ems-buff
firedude likes this

Read your weather map correctly.It is for Chicago. National weather says nothing of a blizzard. NWS.NOAA.GOV Why say stuff that isnt true.

May not be a forecast of a blizzard, but the forecast does call for snow/wintry mix Tuesday and Wednesday. Saying we are in for another storm is true how bad it is or how much we get, no one can tell until after it is done.

There may not be snow as we have seen so far this year, but the storm map show an icy mix for the lower Hudson Valley. AccuWeather goes on to say that we may get rain from the storm. That can cause more of a problem then a foot of snow.

BFD1054 likes this

I will be Florida-bound at 6am Tuesday....i hope to hell the wife and i can get outta dodge before this crap starts!

The OT ive been getting from this snow has been great, but ive had enough.

I know the guys at work have been using the front-end loader all week to try and move the snow to make room for any new snow that may come.

A friend had told me that the Farmers Alminac is calling for a severe storm that may bring up to 3 feet of snow before the season ends.

Accuweather has it at 3.4 inches, and no offense boys, but this girl isn't going to get excited over 3 inches.

Pretty sure no girl is going to get excited over 3 inches, especially a cold 3 inches

Edited by JohnnyOV
JM15 and effd3918 like this

Everyone needs to calm down. Its winter, and it snows. You have to deal with it. Short of major flooding and erosion from coastal storms, do we really need FEMA aid for every storm?

Very true. One of the problems is that everyone is budgeting for the bare minimum - not just in police and fire but in DPW and snow removal as well. Now that everyone is reaching into the municipal wallet again for yet another winter storm only to find that there's no money left. Then the knee jerk reaction is to try and find someone else to pay for it and Uncle FEMA is everyone's best buddy.

Parts of western NY have received 8-12 feet of snow but they're not crying (too much) for FEMA. Municipalities have to start managing themselves and quit looking for a hand-out whenever it gets a little rough.

The problem with all this is that FEMA money comes from us too so we're still paying even if they get federal aid. Too many act like it is "free money" because it comes from the feds.