Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billfitz

WCDES Scene Support Trailers?

104 posts in this topic

So now it is up to Bee Line to be 24 hour emergency responders in addition to bus drivers?

No, but for the last 30 years they would call someone in if needed.

In downtown New Rochelle there must be a building that can be used as a shelter without expecting the bus company to keep drivers on duty around the clock in case an emergency happens. Who's gonna pay for that?

Yes in downtown and we gained access to them. But what about the other 90% of our city and the county? They do not need to be on 24/7 but with 100's of drivers one would think they could get 1 to come out in the middle of the night. The county airport plan calls for them, to move none injured or very minor injured, but if DES can't get them, so much for the plan. We already pay (and more than allentown, who can get them).

There just needs to be real municipal emergency planning.

NYS lists each county and 5 cities (plus NYC) in the state as having a legal obligation to do emergency planning. An additional number of towns in Westchester (about 5) also do planning. That leaves about 1/2 the county relying on the County do its emergency planning. And the county planning in the past has always included the County Beeline busses as a resource.

Who are the 5 ? Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, ..........., ............... ?

Who are the 5 ? Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, ..........., ............... ?

Mt Vernon and Niagra Falls.

The 5 are considered counties within the state for emergency managment planning & response and meet with SEMO & the counties within each SEMO Region.

My understanding is every city in the state was given the option to opt in or be covered by the county and this was locked in at the time.

Unfortunately a lot of plans are made based on assumptions and resources are purchased and then the information as to their availability and capability not made available as seen with this thread or hyped well beyond their realistic capabilities as we have seen in other threads. The point of planning is to be able to realistically prepare for an incident in advance but without this information plans are and always will be woefully inadequate.

Did we find out what those resources are yet? This thread became a soap opera.

I speak regularly with the Liberty Lines (BeeLine) radio room and have a good working relationship with Mario and Mike. I have never had a problem getting resources. And I hope that continues even when other people call them or speak to them in an unprofessional manner. I don't know what their corporate policy is on hiring driver's for emergency situations, however I know they have mechanics on duty 24 hours (unless recently changed) at the Yonkers facility and they are all qualified drivers.

Additionally, I believe the YFD has a bus (I have pics) kept at Nepp Valley. Was this ever considered to be requested? If unable to get a BeeLine bus, what is the back fall for rehab and shelter? There are a number of Volunteer FD's that also have "busses". As well there are at least 3 EMS agencies with "rehab" units.

IC's can get overwhelmed at major incidents, and are only as good as the people working under them. If there isn't someone who cares a little more to have knowledge about what resources are available and can remind the IC of said, then they aren't ever going to be called in. I wonder how many people around the County can name all available resources of every department in the County and within 30 miles. Maybe a handfull, but don't ask them because they are know it all buffs... (insert sarcasm here).

IC's can get overwhelmed at major incidents, and are only as good as the people working under them. If there isn't someone who cares a little more to have knowledge about what resources are available and can remind the IC of said, then they aren't ever going to be called in. I wonder how many people around the County can name all available resources of every department in the County and within 30 miles. Maybe a handfull, but don't ask them because they are know it all buffs... (insert sarcasm here).

Sounds like the job discription for the logistics officer or at a minimum a county battalion chief (even if thats the wrong title for them).

Sounds like a great topic to start if it could stay on point without unnecessary commenting. Just list resources beyond the every day engines, ladders, and ambulances. Include: availability, department, capabilities, how requested, staffing, etc. It could be useful to someone someday.

Sounds like the job discription for the logistics officer or at a minimum a county battalion chief (even if thats the wrong title for them).

I believe they are called "deputy coordinators." And I agree they of all people should know what is being held in those trailers as well as the availability considering that is what their job is supposed to be.

Could they be decon trailers? In Nassau we have a few spread about the County. 4 are run by various departments in 4 Battalions and the remaining trailers are run by the Nassau County Fire Marshals office, which mans a hazmat team 24/7.

Sounds like a great topic to start if it could stay on point without unnecessary commenting. Just list resources beyond the every day engines, ladders, and ambulances. Include: availability, department, capabilities, how requested, staffing, etc. It could be useful to someone someday.

Great statment, PEMO3. A little book at the CP would help. An IC (or RUL) would not possibly call for (or recommend)a resource if he doesn't know it exists.

Next step:TRAINING Even a "Resource Day" for people in the command structure would be a great help. At least people would have a look at what's available to them. Not where we should be, but a start.

Could they be decon trailers? In Nassau we have a few spread about the County. 4 are run by various departments in 4 Battalions and the remaining trailers are run by the Nassau County Fire Marshals office, which mans a hazmat team 24/7.

I doubt they are solely decon trailers. WCDES has a few decon trailers floating about, one was at KFD. WCDES has 1 listed for Bedford/Katonah, 1 for Cortlandt and 1 for Port Chester. Additionally, it has support units listed for each one as well but I have no idea what those support units could be. Maybe those trailers are the support units?

I doubt they are solely decon trailers. WCDES has a few decon trailers floating about, one was at KFD. WCDES has 1 listed for Bedford/Katonah, 1 for Cortlandt and 1 for Port Chester. Additionally, it has support units listed for each one as well but I have no idea what those support units could be. Maybe those trailers are the support units?

Actually, Empress EMS has the one from port chester

There may be some truth to the rumor that the trailers contain the soul of Marcellas Wallace.

So, who's going to buff out and make up the WCDES Scene Support Trailer T-Shirts?

There may be some truth to the rumor that the trailers contain the soul of Marcellas Wallace.

So, who's going to buff out and make up the WCDES Scene Support Trailer T-Shirts?

post-172-0-95147800-1298407463.jpg Edited by JohnnyOV
PEMO3 and firedude like this

I want an ASAP Mini Ambulance. :)

I know its off the thread but...I think thats a great idea. Could a stock ATV, Toro cart, or gator be fitted with that type of body? Whats the DOH BEMS view, is it an ambulance?

Just for the sake of clarity Empress EMS has a WCDES MDU trailer, but no addditional DES trailer to support it. Nor would we know what the Incident support trailers might contain.

Mt Vernon and Niagra Falls.

The 5 are considered counties within the state for emergency managment planning & response and meet with SEMO & the counties within each SEMO Region.

My understanding is every city in the state was given the option to opt in or be covered by the county and this was locked in at the time.

For planning yes but I think for response the SEMO expectation is that the cities will coordinate with/threw the County not go directly to them. At least that is what I was told back in the day.

How about offering to house train and maintain the county assets by one of the Fd's in Westchester? Its apparent the County has no personel for the equipment maybe the best option is to assign it to a local FD.

No, but for the last 30 years they would call someone in if needed.

Yes in downtown and we gained access to them. But what about the other 90% of our city and the county? They do not need to be on 24/7 but with 100's of drivers one would think they could get 1 to come out in the middle of the night. The county airport plan calls for them, to move none injured or very minor injured, but if DES can't get them, so much for the plan. We already pay (and more than allentown, who can get them).

NYS lists each county and 5 cities (plus NYC) in the state as having a legal obligation to do emergency planning. An additional number of towns in Westchester (about 5) also do planning. That leaves about 1/2 the county relying on the County do its emergency planning. And the county planning in the past has always included the County Beeline busses as a resource.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about the airport. Have they ever tested that plan?

For planning yes but I think for response the SEMO expectation is that the cities will coordinate with/threw the County not go directly to them. At least that is what I was told back in the day.

Thats gone back and forth a couple of times. Technically the law allows us to go direct, but we go thru the County for better coordination.

It is really pathetic that nobody can/will step up and educate the members here about what's in those stupid trailers.

There are over a 100 members of DES counting the team members and a lot of them are members here too. It speaks volumes about what DES is all about when they won't confront an issue like this one head on but rather hide in the shadows just reading these threads.

How about offering to house train and maintain the county assets by one of the Fd's in Westchester? Its apparent the County has no personel for the equipment maybe the best option is to assign it to a local FD.

What a great idea. The state provided 3 Mass Decon Unit trailers and the county purchased 2 additional ones. The idea was to place them out in the FD's:

1) VFD's in the Town of Greenburgh

2) Sound Shore Chiefs (Port Cheester)

3) Armonk

4) Briarcliff/Millwood (purchased by BMFD with grant funds)

5) Katona/Bedford

6) Cortlandt

The career depts recieved 6 more advanced trailers because they completed higher training.

The plan and training were designed to give Westchester the ability to respond to and handle a major decon event or multiple ones.

#1 was turned down, now #2 was returned and redeployed to Empress & #5 was returned.

It appears that the Fire Service in Westchester does not want to be able to protect its citizens. I just hope we never really need it.

Edited by Bnechis

Does anbody know how many of these "Support Trailers" are in county? This is a screen shot from the county's 2009 apparatus list.

Untitled.jpg

So there is now 5 pages of posts and not a single answer to the original question. What is in these trailers? Stay on topic people!

Edited by firedude

As a long time member of PCFD I never saw the inside of the trailer that was/ is in Port Chester !

Does anbody know how many of these "Support Trailers" are in county? This is a screen shot from the county's 2009 apparatus list.

Untitled.jpg

So there is now 5 pages of posts and not a single answer to the original question. What is in these trailers? Stay on topic people!

The mass decon units (MDU) and the mass decon support units (MDSU) are not the same as the Scene support trailers (SST).

MDU's are trailers that contain mass decon equipment

MDSU's are former para transit busses used to move the MDU's or personnel.

SSt's.......dont have a clue. Maybe they are just decoy units to keep everyone busy guessing.

firedude likes this

The mass decon units (MDU) and the mass decon support units (MDSU) are not the same as the Scene support trailers (SST).

MDU's are trailers that contain mass decon equipment

MDSU's are former para transit busses used to move the MDU's or personnel.

SSt's.......dont have a clue. Maybe they are just decoy units to keep everyone busy guessing.

ok, thanks for the clarification. :)

Untitled.jpg

The MDU 6 trailer is currently at Montrose FD. Montrose, along with Buchanan and Verplanck FD's have trained with the decon equipment in the past.

Edited by FF398

Here is the original question

What are they?

How does one request them?

What is the response time?

Who responds with them? ??????????????????

It does not sound like either no one knows, or the people that do, don't feel they are allowed to inform us.

Sounds like my original plan is the only viable option...

Try this:

Simply say, "Like a good neighbor, WCDES is there!" on 46.26. Poof, the units show up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I79Jmgb8nyw