Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Chevrons: Saferty or Marketing?

38 posts in this topic

I just wanted to share this very nice article I found. It was written by Skip Kirkwood (MS, JD, EMT-P, EFO) and J. Brent Myers (MD, MPH, FACEP).

Introduction:

The safety of our personnel is our most important consideration, isn’t it? In theory, we stripe

our vehicles the way we do for one reason—to improve the chances that everybody goes

home safe and healthy after every shift.

Emergency service publications are filled with pictures of the latest and greatest in uniforms,

personal protective equipment and vehicles. However, some of the designs seen on EMS vehicles

appear to be for marketing rather than for visibility of the vehicle and safety of the occupants.

Times are changing, though, and concerned ambulance manufacturers and progressive agencies are

taking bigger steps to improve the visibility of their vehicles.

Please Enjoy...

Safety of Marketing?(PDF)

Please share your thoughts, if any.

Edited by firedude
x635 likes this

I still feel it is a total marketing ploy by the members of the NFPA board (who also happen to work with 3M). Who hits the rear of emergency vehicles? Distracted drivers. People asleep at the wheel, drunk, texting, changing the radio, people who's eyes are not on the road. Someone explain to me how adding all of this chevron crap, will suddenly grab someone's attention, who's not even looking at the road?

I've been behind plenty of emergency vehicles with the new chevron pattern at night... you can barely even get a reflection off the chevron bouncing back to you. The only reason in pictures it looks so appealing is because you're dealing with a high powered flash, that is bouncing off the prisms in the stripes and returning directly back to the area (the lens which is inches from the flash origin) the light originated from, which is what they are designed to do. Your head lights are feet underneath the level of your eyes, and point downwards towards the ground, basically rendering the whole retro reflective bit completely and utterly useless.

Its a total joke. And apparatus are still being struck with the new patterns. My guess is apparatus involved in rear collisions will not decrease at all.

I think the apparatus looks terrible. Do I think the Chevrons are helping?? Lets see My Engine 1 got hit by a Tractor trailer, Then there was Stratford shortly (2 rigs) therafter so I'm gonna go with no on this one. as for the vest we have to don they get a BIG thumbs down.

Lets stick with two rigs taking the lane of traffic and leave the striping and the vest back in the store where they belong.

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Offensive/Poor Choice In Wording
PEMO3, FFBlaser, firedude and 3 others like this

Manufacturers representatives sit on most committees of the NFPA, their bosses do not want to become the idle "Maytag Repairman" Thus the crazy regulations and questionable shelf life on items, keep manufactureres in business

I still feel it is a total marketing ploy by the members of the NFPA board (who also happen to work with 3M). Who hits the rear of emergency vehicles? Distracted drivers. People asleep at the wheel, drunk, texting, changing the radio, people who's eyes are not on the road. Someone explain to me how adding all of this chevron crap, will suddenly grab someone's attention, who's not even looking at the road?

I've been behind plenty of emergency vehicles with the new chevron pattern at night... you can barely even get a reflection off the chevron bouncing back to you. The only reason in pictures it looks so appealing is because you're dealing with a high powered flash, that is bouncing off the prisms in the stripes and returning directly back to the area (the lens which is inches from the flash origin) the light originated from, which is what they are designed to do. Your head lights are feet underneath the level of your eyes, and point downwards towards the ground, basically rendering the whole retro reflective bit completely and utterly useless.

Its a total joke. And apparatus are still being struck with the new patterns. My guess is apparatus involved in rear collisions will not decrease at all.

I'm not sure what type of material you're seeing, but I can tell you with certainty that our apparatus with chevrons are far more visible to drivers with headlights on at night, and at a far greater distance to boot. The actual amount of reflection back out is unnecessary and unwanted as it could impair vision. The unit should become more visible, not more of a distraction. We (the fire service) have been stressing the reduction of lights and strobes that impair drivers for the more passive high visibility standard. While 3M may be benefiting, in this case I don't see it as a profit driven mandate.

You're correct in saying drivers who are distracted will still hit apparatus, though I'm betting on a reduction in the percentage of incidents to apparatus struck. By reducing the "strobe light" distraction we are in fact making the area around the apparatus and emergency safer for our personnel operating on the roadway.

The other part to the standard is the chevron pattern that has been studied over the years by DOT here and similar counterparts worldwide. The angle and direction of the chevron when properly applied reportedly effects the subconscious brain and "tells" drivers to steer away. This is why all bridge and tunnels have the split chevrons on both sides directing you into the middle vs. to the outboard sides. DOT trucks carry often carry signage with the half-chevrons to place in the appropriate lane to direct motorists properly.

Without a doubt, just like lights and sirens, many FD's go way overboard and make their apparatus into moving retro-reflective billboards which actually impairs the intent of the basic package. While many of us are stuck in our traditional ways, a fire truck is red, ambulances are white with orange, etc. we cannot ignore scientifically proven methods that will make the emergency scene safer for our personnel. Personally I'm over the traditional look issues and am much more apt to look at function over form. This may be unpopular at times, but when you look at doing things for the right reasons and the benefits are tangible, it's really for the best.

Edited by antiquefirelt
Monty, OoO and SteveOFD like this

I actually have a question... Why do ambulances have chevrons? Drivers of abmulances are taught to park the bus out of traffic. Even on a MVA, a Fire truck will usually block a ambulance from traffic. It seams that there is no need for them. I am all for safety and I think it does look interesting but do the chevrons really do their job?

here are some pics for thought...

5819430220_d8a3e48326_z.jpg

5818840837_c6ce1e5966_z.jpg

Edited by firedude

How many EMS runs does the typical ambulance run that has nothing to do with any other fire or police presence? Our ambulances run alone on 70% of calls yet have no driveway to back into. The crew is in and out of the rear while on the street, thus any conspicuity has to help. I guess the other question is: "what's the harm in utilizing the chevrons"?

Its not always possable to park out of the flow of traffic. There are many areas in my district where I have no choice but to block a lane. Also think of when transporting, You dont always transport RLS, but may have to drive slower than the flow of traffic. The chevrons help you be seen by drivers with out having to use your lights that may cause a "ripple effect".

95% of the ambulance calls I go on in VT and NY have zero fire response and it always almost impossible to stop the ambulance out of traffic at least for a little bit. Even if it helps me become more visible 1 foot before I normally would, it is still worth it.

It may be a manufacturers ploy to get us to spend more but so is the redesigned turn out gear, nozzles, and tools that come out every year but yet departments spend money on them anyway; at least this "waste" of money if you call it are designed to help keep us safe.

I'm not sure what type of material you're seeing, but I can tell you with certainty that our apparatus with chevrons are far more visible to drivers with headlights on at night, and at a far greater distance to boot. The actual amount of reflection back out is unnecessary and unwanted as it could impair vision. The unit should become more visible, not more of a distraction. We (the fire service) have been stressing the reduction of lights and strobes that impair drivers for the more passive high visibility standard. While 3M may be benefiting, in this case I don't see it as a profit driven mandate.

You're correct in saying drivers who are distracted will still hit apparatus, though I'm betting on a reduction in the percentage of incidents to apparatus struck. By reducing the "strobe light" distraction we are in fact making the area around the apparatus and emergency safer for our personnel operating on the roadway.

The other part to the standard is the chevron pattern that has been studied over the years by DOT here and similar counterparts worldwide. The angle and direction of the chevron when properly applied reportedly effects the subconscious brain and "tells" drivers to steer away. This is why all bridge and tunnels have the split chevrons on both sides directing you into the middle vs. to the outboard sides. DOT trucks carry often carry signage with the half-chevrons to place in the appropriate lane to direct motorists properly.

Without a doubt, just like lights and sirens, many FD's go way overboard and make their apparatus into moving retro-reflective billboards which actually impairs the intent of the basic package. While many of us are stuck in our traditional ways, a fire truck is red, ambulances are white with orange, etc. we cannot ignore scientifically proven methods that will make the emergency scene safer for our personnel. Personally I'm over the traditional look issues and am much more apt to look at function over form. This may be unpopular at times, but when you look at doing things for the right reasons and the benefits are tangible, it's really for the best.

I agree. I can't speak for all drivers, but I personally find the pattern and reflective factor to be more attention-getting.

Off:

post-11-0-95050600-1308170896.jpg

On:

post-11-0-71265700-1308170912.jpg

I agree. I can't speak for all drivers, but I personally find the pattern and reflective factor to be more attention-getting.

I also agree...driving east on the Arterial in Poughkeepsie the other night leaving work, I spotted chevrons a few blocks away, very noticeable. Once I caught up, it was an ambulance from the Arlington FD. I initially was not a fan of chevrons, but they have grown on me...and now I see just how attention grabbing they really are.

x635 and xfirefighter484x like this

Chevrons and similar patterns have been standard on British, and other european, rigs for many many years; I don't buy 'marketing', I think they're playing catch-up and perhaps to a degree dealing with issues of 'tradition'.

Me, I don't give a damn what a rig looks like so long as the rig works. Paint it pink with purple chevrons on it if some credible studies show they're marginally the most helpful colours.

In the UK battenbergs are also widely used. Here's a paper giving some background to this stuff:

http://theheap.net/files/14-04-high-conspicuity-livery.pdf

Mike

Monty likes this

I think the apparatus looks terrible. Do I think the Chevrons are helping?? Lets see My Engine 1 got hit by a Tractor trailer, Then there was Stratford shortly (2 rigs) therafter so I'm gonna go with no on this one. as for the vest we have to don they get a BIG thumbs down.

Lets stick with two rigs taking the lane of traffic and leave the striping and the vest back in the store where they belong.

I do not know all of the info concerning the crash in Stamford, BUT, the 2 major reasons for the accident in Stratford were WEATHER & SPEED (2 tractor trailer units driving way too fast around a semi blind curve that changes elevation during one of the many ice storms this past winter at night). One engine that was struck did not have chevrons while the other engine did.

This is a four year old article. Have there been any studies using actual research and data rather than opinion? Without some real research all we're going to do is speculate.

I actually have a question... Why do ambulances have chevrons? Drivers of abmulances are taught to park the bus out of traffic. Even on a MVA, a Fire truck will usually block a ambulance from traffic. It seams that there is no need for them. I am all for safety and I think it does look interesting but do the chevrons really do their job?

Just look at the ambulance pictured. Once the patient doors are opened the chevrons are gone. The door side goes toward rig and the sides are covered by the doors. While the rig is visible the lettering no longer is. The real question should be chevrons at what price?

Here's something from Ford discussing different conspicuity options available. Everything from car color to sirens.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/CVPI/pdfs/BRP_Report_Out_Countermeasures.pdf

A 2004 paper from the US Fire Administration...

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/fa-272.pdf

Reflective striping works. Its too bad you think its ugly, but it works.

Monty and antiquefirelt like this

Just look at the ambulance pictured. Once the patient doors are opened the chevrons are gone. The door side goes toward rig and the sides are covered by the doors. While the rig is visible the lettering no longer is. The real question should be chevrons at what price?

Why would the lettering need to be visible. I'd rather have fast approaching traffic see the big picture, the potential danger, over them being able to read the agency and unit number. What do I care if they know the truck is Unit 123 from XYZ Ambulance.

antiquefirelt likes this

Why would the lettering need to be visible. I'd rather have fast approaching traffic see the big picture, the potential danger, over them being able to read the agency and unit number. What do I care if they know the truck is Unit 123 from XYZ Ambulance.

Same question here? If it's about the lettering, then I'd agree it's a marketing issue. And many ambulance have striping on the inside of the rear doors too. As for the chevron direction while the doors are open? That's a real stretch of a silly argument.

Edited by antiquefirelt

My point here is slightly misunderstood, partly on how I wrote the statement. It was meant more as a side observation that the lettering is lost in the chevron not the fact that the lettering would be a safety aspect. Aside from that, chevrons, lights, cones, flares are all assets but lets face it - a distracted driver is a distracted driver. All the chevrons, lights, gadgets, etc are not going to do one bit of good if the driver is not paying attention in the first place. The real key here is safe vehicle placement and learning how to position your vehicle to provide you with the best window of safety. We have all seen the articles highlighting trooper cars hit on the shoulder with lights going, large fire apparatus smashed from behind on a straight stretch of interstate and ambulance crews hit while loading patients. We need to go back to basics and teach how to place your vehicle to control the scene and provide you the space to live.

Just my opinion.

My point here is slightly misunderstood, partly on how I wrote the statement. It was meant more as a side observation that the lettering is lost in the chevron not the fact that the lettering would be a safety aspect.

Does that really matter? The intent is to make the vehicle more conspicuous and the reflective chevrons certainly do that. From that perspective, does an oncoming driver really need to be able to distinguish between your unit and my unit in order to avoid hitting it? Besides, if the lettering is lost in the chevrons, then the problem is the color of the lettering. I've seen plenty of chevron marked vehicles in which the lettering within the chevron is very distinguishable.

Aside from that, chevrons, lights, cones, flares are all assets but lets face it - a distracted driver is a distracted driver. All the chevrons, lights, gadgets, etc are not going to do one bit of good if the driver is not paying attention in the first place. The real key here is safe vehicle placement and learning how to position your vehicle to provide you with the best window of safety.

You are correct that there should be a strong emphasis on proper placement in order to provide a safer working area in the first place, however I think too often views expressing opposition to the chevrons seem to focus on the minority of drivers who for whatever reason are distracted to the point where they still don't avoid hitting us rather than accepting and welcoming the fact that the markings DO make our vehicles more conspicuous and that WILL absolutely catch the attention of at least some drivers and avoid some accidents that otherwise may have occurred.

To me, that's worth the price of admission and trumps the esthetic aspects.

antiquefirelt likes this

So often these things are done in the name of "safety", which to me is a real misnomer. I think risk management is more appropriate as there's no guarantee of safety no matter what you do. The chevron, by the nature of its shape does seem, at least in abstract theory, to mitigate some of the risk of operating in traffic. And all of the equipment we wear in the name of safety will mitigate a certain type of risk.

Target fixation is a phenomena that I believe is often responsible for crashes. You see this in action when riding a bike (especially as a new rider) - you tend to run over that object that you were trying to avoid because you were so focused on avoiding it. Quite simply, you steer towards whatever it is that you're looking at. This is especially true when a driver is impaired, be it drink, drugs, sleep deprivation, texting, or otherwise distracted. Having the presence of mind to focus on an escape path in an emergency can often mean the difference between succumbing to an accident and avoiding it.

The shape of the chevron directs your eyes away from the vehicle and you are less likely to fixate on it. In theory it takes your focus away from the vehicle and places it exactly where you want it - on the way around it. However, the execution in the photo in this thread looks like there is SO much reflective material used that the chevron isn't even visible when lit up. This seems to counter the benefits and may even cause drivers to fixate on the vehicle. Placing the apparatus properly is important, but once this is done, and the vehicle is completely out of traffic, being LESS visible would probably be more beneficial.

Because rigs are used in such a wide variety of situations it's tough to find the right balance for most situations. I think the idea, when executed properly, is an effective risk mitigation tool. It won't prevent all accidents, but it could divert an impaired driver that otherwise might have seen the apparatus and driven into it.

I think the marketing part of the question is a good one, but to me it's more about competition than marketing. Whose truck shines brightest when a headlight hits it? Who's got the most bling? That's the execution of the strategy and it has nothing to do with the strategy itself. Lines, numbering, lights, etc can all be overdone.

antiquefirelt likes this

5818840837_c6ce1e5966_z.jpg

Our Fire Department, separate from the ambulance corps, has refused to provide any traffic control for ambulance calls on the Thruway. Unless it's a jaws call, fire or fluids, the ambulance corps is on its' own. So when pulling past the scene is not an option, the ambulance is the only line of defense. Chevrons will be on the next ambulance purchased.

Our Fire Department, separate from the ambulance corps, has refused to provide any traffic control for ambulance calls on the Thruway. Unless it's a jaws call, fire or fluids, the ambulance corps is on its' own. So when pulling past the scene is not an option, the ambulance is the only line of defense. Chevrons will be on the next ambulance purchased.

Why would they refuse to assist?

The shape of the chevron directs your eyes away from the vehicle and you are less likely to fixate on it. In theory it takes your focus away from the vehicle and places it exactly where you want it - on the way around it. However, the execution in the photo in this thread looks like there is SO much reflective material used that the chevron isn't even visible when lit up. This seems to counter the benefits and may even cause drivers to fixate on the vehicle. Placing the apparatus properly is important, but once this is done, and the vehicle is completely out of traffic, being LESS visible would probably be more beneficial.

IIRC, a few years ago BNECHIS posted some ideas, thoughts or actual pictures of applying the chevrons with one of the colors being retro-reflective and the other standard colored decal. I remember the it being pretty convincing, so I'm guessing a picture must have been included.

I can say that the first three apparatus we had chevroned red/white in 3" stripes and new ambulance with the standard red/yellow chevron were all done with the standard "flat" retro reflective decal and all show up with little shape at night. Still highly visible, but the chevrons blend. The last engine with the "quartz" style red/yellow chevron is incredibly visible and the contrast is huge such that the chevrons are distinct day or night. So on top of being done correctly to gain the proper subconscious attention of the driver, the striping may need to be a specific material or alternating color and material to ensure the best visibility.

So they will not protect you?

1) then how do you cover your crews? You need something covering your tail when loading if not the FD, have at least another ambulance.

2) If the FD will not cover you, do you still cover them? Do you do standbys at fire scenes for them? rehab? Time for a big sit down chat BEFORE someone gets killed.

helicopper, firedude and INIT915 like this

IIRC, a few years ago BNECHIS posted some ideas, thoughts or actual pictures of applying the chevrons with one of the colors being retro-reflective and the other standard colored decal. I remember the it being pretty convincing, so I'm guessing a picture must have been included.

THanks. No picture. My concern was that with both colors reflective there is so much light reflected that at night a firefighter standing just a foot or 2 past (like the pump operator) the rig can not be seen, even if he is wearing a vest. I thought having only 1 color relective will break it up and make it easier to spot US.

I have no scientific study to back this up, just my observation.

antiquefirelt likes this

This is a four year old article. Have there been any studies using actual research and data rather than opinion? Without some real research all we're going to do is speculate.

I can't give a specific link but from talkign to fire service industry persons and fire service personnel who specialize in apparatus design explained to me that this wasn't just born up but in fact came over the big pond from Europe as many of their emergency vehicles have them and they have lower percentages of apparatus struck after doing so.

As far as NFPA making money...I really wish someone would come up with a better argument. There are fire service representatives on every committee as well. I really don't care what it looks like...I think once you get used to it its like every other change you get used to it and it looks ok. I want safe functional equipment not a parade wagon.

RPS chevroned a bunch of their vehicles and I wonder what their data says about it.

And whoever mentioned ambulances...its not just for MVA's....its visibility overall at any scene to enhance safety.

I certainly have to agree with you on this one "lad45der". I remember the incidents well. I think both rigs were hit by tractor trailer rigs. Stamford and Stratford on I-95 in Connecticut. No striping or vest would have helped there. Its a Miracle nobody was killed.

I think its all about salesmenship. I actually think some people are getting smarter and starting to catch on. Kind of reminds me of the days when every fire truck should have been painted Lime Green for better visability. The desk commandos thought that one up too.

Edited by nfd2004
JohnnyOV likes this