Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfrd18

FDMV New Ladder

29 posts in this topic

Not exactly spy shots per se, but apparently, the bid for a new ladder for Mt. Vernon, NY is going to Pierce. The bid was for 2 Engines and 1 Ladder through 10-19-10. According to Firematic Pierce, production has started on the ladder. By the looks of the cab, I'm guessing it will probably be an Arrow XT.

Not sure on who got the bid for the 2 Engines. Maybe someone here can elaborate further. But it will be nice to see some brand new rigs in Mt. Vernon.

http://firematic.com/cgi-bin/truckprogress.cgi?dept=mount_vernon24442

Good find! I think the TAK-4 suspension on the Arrow XT combo will be a nice truck for those dedicated hard working Mount Vernon firefighters. Hope the guys on the line were active in the comittee.

Also, I'm liking that more and more dealers and manufacturers are creating "In Production" pages.

I agree that MVFD needs new equipment.......where on earth did they come up with money for 3 new rigs???????

I agree that MVFD needs new equipment.......where on earth did they come up with money for 3 new rigs???????

No idea where they got the funds for these. They recently just purchased 2 used Engines, 1 used Ladder, and 2 used Chiefs cars.

The Pumpers are Pierce Arrow XT's as well.

Awesome. Wonder if they will be the same body-types as Engine 3 and 4's FDNY-style Ferraras, or something else, since they are custom rigs, not stock.

Awesome. Wonder if they will be the same body-types as Engine 3 and 4's FDNY-style Ferraras, or something else, since they are custom rigs, not stock.

The Eng. 3 and 4 with the Ferrara Ultra chassis is discontinued. There is a new "ultra" chassis.

The Eng. 3 and 4 with the Ferrara Ultra chassis is discontinued. There is a new "ultra" chassis.

Correct. The new Ultra chassis is the new FDNY Rescue and Ladder chassis by Ferrara. What I was wondering was, if Mt. Vernon wants to keep with that FDNY look that their Ferrara's have in their new Pierce engines, or if they want something different. I'd imagine that they'd go with a different design, since I believe(someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Engine's 3 and 4 were originally meant for FDNY and not something Mt. Vernon spec'd out specifically from Ferrara.

I remember someone on here saying they are purchasing 3 new rigs and some upgrades to the firehouses with bonds.

Mt. Vernon also purchased a used walk-in light rescue late last year, I believe the intent was a mask service unit.

I remember someone on here saying they are purchasing 3 new rigs and some upgrades to the firehouses with bonds.

I think the 3 rigs they were going to purchase are the new Pierces in production. I'm not sure if they started yet, or will start, but the upgrades I think were going to FDMV Station 4(Engine 2/Engine 4) on Oak St. I believe the floor was damaged and needed to be repaired to hold the weight of the trucks, but again, I'm not sure on whether or not they made any upgrades as of late. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Mt. Vernon also purchased a used walk-in light rescue late last year, I believe the intent was a mask service unit.

Cool. Which makes me wonder where they got the funding for 3 brand new custom rigs after they just purchased 2 used Engines, 1 used Ladder, 2 used Chief's vehicles, and a used Light Rescue all within a few years.

I think the 3 rigs they were going to purchase are the new Pierces in production. I'm not sure if they started yet, or will start, but the upgrades I think were going to FDMV Station 4(Engine 2/Engine 4) on Oak St. I believe the floor was damaged and needed to be repaired to hold the weight of the trucks, but again, I'm not sure on whether or not they made any upgrades as of late. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Cool. Which makes me wonder where they got the funding for 3 brand new custom rigs after they just purchased 2 used Engines, 1 used Ladder, 2 used Chief's vehicles, and a used Light Rescue all within a few years.

And the aerialscope and heavy squad are relatively new also.

Seems like over the past 5 years there has been a new heavy squad, new aerialscope, 2 new ferraras, 2 used engines, a used truck, new mask service, and now two more new engines and a new truck.... It would be nice if the FDMV boys could count on that type of purchasing becoming more frequent. They have suffered too long with garbage equipment. They still aren't out if the woods.

Edited by mfc2257

And the aerialscope and heavy squad are relatively new also.

Seems like over the past 5 years there has been a new heavy squad, new aerialscope, 2 new ferraras, 2 used engines, a used truck, new mask service, and now two more new engines and a new truck.... It would be nice if the FDMV boys could count on that type of purchasing becoming more frequent. They have different too long with garbage equipment. They still aren't out if the woods.

Right, so that makes it 4 new engines, 2 used engines, 2 new ladders, 1 used ladder, 1 new rescue(demo), 1 used light rescue(mask service unit), 1 new command vehicle, and 2 used command vehicles: a total of 14 new or used rigs purchased in the last 6 years! However, I can't say they don't deserve it. The Vern has had garbage for too long. It's nice to see some new additions, and especially nice to see some brand new rigs, rather than a couple more used ones.

Any ideo on make,or where it came from??

Any ideo on make,or where it came from??

1987 Chevy/Swab

Purchased from the Walden Fire District, Orange County, who bought it used from Park Ridge, NJ in 1996.

246walden.jpg

** Photo courtesy www.OCNYFire.com **

sfrd18 likes this

All the shiny trucks in the world cant fight fires without proper staffing..... ;)

Indeed!

They will be low hosebed style, similar to Eng's 3 & 4.

MV bought from VOLLIES.........OMG!

If you're going to buy a used piece of equipment its wise to buy from a volunteer department. Its almost always top notch with little wear or very low miles, or both.

All the shiny trucks in the world cant fight fires without proper staffing..... ;)

BINGO-WELL SAID!!! We still run with 2 man Engine Co's ,12 Firefighters,3 Officers on a 1st Alarm assignment.

1987 Chevy/Swab

Purchased from the Walden Fire District, Orange County, who bought it used from Park Ridge, NJ in 1996.

246walden.jpg

** Photo courtesy www.OCNYFire.com **

This unit from Walden had a cascade unit installed by AAA, it can reservice approx 40 bottles. Fill in station installed inside (2 bottles at a time) on board generator.

Staffing does help. :)

Edited by sfrd18

If you're going to buy a used piece of equipment its wise to buy from a volunteer department. Its almost always top notch with little wear or very low miles, or both.

A great rule of thumb when buying used rigs.

They will be low hosebed style, similar to Eng's 3 & 4.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

BINGO-WELL SAID!!! We still run with 2 man Engine Co's ,12 Firefighters,3 Officers on a 1st Alarm assignment.

Yikes, not good!

This unit from Walden had a cascade unit installed by AAA, it can reservice approx 40 bottles. Fill in station installed inside (2 bottles at a time) on board generator.

Seems to be a rig in pretty good condition. Before the unit, was there the ability to fill bottles in-station(i.e. in-station cascade systems), or did the FDMV rely on other dept.'s to fill up bottles for them?

Also, what Station is it at? I'm assuming 3's, since it's the biggest.

I believe(someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Engine's 3 and 4 were originally meant for FDNY and not something Mt. Vernon spec'd out specifically from Ferrara.

Negative. Both of these pumpers were built specifically for FDMV. Although they have many similarities to FDNY spec, they were not built for FDNY.

The sad thing is they'll probably be banged up in a couple of months!

Negative. Both of these pumpers were built specifically for FDMV. Although they have many similarities to FDNY spec, they were not built for FDNY.

Wow. Interesting to know though.

It may have been Pelhams Ferrara but I distinctly remember several conversations here about someone's Ferrara being FDNY something or other.

It may have been Pelhams Ferrara but I distinctly remember several conversations here about someone's Ferrara being FDNY something or other.

I think it was Pelham's.

I think it was Pelham's.

Yes, it's a 2004 Ferrara Ultra originally built for FDNY and never delivered.