Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

Millerton: Cattle Truck into a Silo Hopper and Building: Route 22

52 posts in this topic

Millerton Fire under the direction of Chief Jason Watson responded to a cattle truck into a silo hopper and building off Route 22 just North of the Webutuck High School. The truck hauling cows to the fair went off the road and traveled several hundred feet through two fields before going down an embankment and striking and going under a dust silo entraping the driver. I arrived several minutes into the operation and have no patient update or cause of the accident

Incident alert: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/42876-millerton-vehicle-into-bldg-wentrapment-8-21-11/page__pid__244401#entry244401

post-16297-0-41408200-1313943176.jpg

post-16297-0-09143200-1313943201.jpg

post-16297-0-31920500-1313943215.jpg

post-16297-0-58309200-1313943228.jpg

post-16297-0-16778400-1313943248.jpg

post-16297-0-13901700-1313943265.jpg

post-16297-0-63251200-1313943309.jpg

post-16297-0-38161400-1313943323.jpg

x129K, FiftyOnePride and TAPSJ like this

sorry the pictures got out of order, they posted by # not by how I downloaded them

I Heard It While Sleeping And Thought I Was Dreaming...Then Tried To Picture It And This Is Not What I Pictured!!! Nice Shots Mark. Is The Cow Ok??? Were The Medics Working On Him???

Thomas

I Heard It While Sleeping And Thought I Was Dreaming...Then Tried To Picture It And This Is Not What I Pictured!!! Nice Shots Mark. Is The Cow Ok??? Were The Medics Working On Him???

Thomas

She was still down on the ground when I left and yes the medic help start IV fluids, she is two weeks from giving birth.

It Goes To Show You We Will Help Anyone In Need Of It!!! Great Job To All!!!

Thomas

FF398, PEMO3 and markmets415 like this

She was still down on the ground when I left and yes the medic help start IV fluids, she is two weeks from giving birth.

Why did the IV contain steak sauce? :D

So......you are saying even at an MVA they pull a CALF'S LINE!? LOL!

Sorry, i couldnt resist.

Not all ALL what I was picturing...strong work.

Mark, great shots of a truly unusual incident. Thanks for sharing!

TAPSJ likes this

Not all ALL what I was picturing...strong work.

Not at all what I was picturing either!! Glad everything worked out for parties involved, all that damage, and the patient RMA'ed if I heard right!!

So......you are saying even at an MVA they pull a CALF'S LINE!? LOL!

Sorry, i couldnt resist.

And Dan, that joke... Only one expression can describe...

239492_Facepalms_are_funny..jpg

As the Second Asst. Chief of the Millerton Fire Company, we would like to thank all the fire companies that were involved in the mitigation of today's incident whether it was standby duty at another firehouse or directly involved in the actual extrication. So a big thanks to the Amenia, Wassaic, Stanford, Millbrook, Dover, and Lakeville fire companies. Also a tip of the lid to CC-14, CC-16, DCSO, NYSP, and the cattle farmers who were there to assist with the cows: all provided invaluable assistance.

This was a particularly tough extrication all around, because not only was it an auto accident with entrapment but it also basically a simpler man in the machine type scenario, the two fused together to make one interesting call. I was first on scene and was able to take it all in before the organized chaos ensued. A flatbed truck driven straight underneath 5-tons of machinery. All the stability was taken away from the hopper and transferred to the building and the vehicle itself. The driver was encapsulated basically but unharmed. Literally just in his seat, no way to move one way or the other. As you can imagine by the photos stabilization was the biggest issue which is why a multitude of rescues were brought in, for their cribbing alone, but also for air bags and the other specialty equipment they could provide. Once that was accomplished the actual extrication was easy. As you can tell in the photo slide we removed a back rack and the rear part of the passengers cab and the driver was able to self extricate basically from that point.

All involved stated that this was one that you could not really train for, and despite its many challenges I can say that I am proud of the outcome and way in which the incident was mitigated.

Edited by FiftyOnePride
JetPhoto, PoqFFEMT, TAPSJ and 6 others like this

As the Second Asst. Chief of the Millerton Fire Company, we would like to thank all the fire companies that were involved in the mitigation of today's incident whether it was standby duty at another firehouse or directly involved in the actual extrication. So a big thanks to the Amenia, Wassaic, Stanford, Millbrook, Dover, and Lakeville fire companies. Also a tip of the lid to CC-14, CC-16, DCSO, NYSP, and the cattle farmers who were there to assist with the cows: all provided invaluable assistance.

This was a particularly tough extrication all around, because not only was it an auto accident with entrapment but it also basically a simpler man in the machine type scenario, the two fused together to make one interesting call. I was first on scene and was able to take it all in before the organized chaos ensued. A flatbed truck driven straight underneath 5-tons of machinery. All the stability was taken away from the hopper and transferred to the building and the vehicle itself. The driver was encapsulated basically but unharmed. Literally just in his seat, no way to move one way or the other. As you can imagine by the photos stabilization was the biggest issue which is why a multitude of rescues were brought in, for their cribbing alone, but also for air bags and the other specialty equipment they could provide. Once that was accomplished the actually extrication was easy. As you can tell in the photo slide we removed a back rack and the rear part of the passengers cab and the driver was able to self extricate basically from that point.

All involved stated that this was one that you could not really train for, and despite its many challenges I can say that I am proud of the outcome and way in which the incident was mitigated.

And I'm sure DC911 was of some minor assistance with all the requests made, some out of the ordinary...

This was a particularly tough extrication all around, because not only was it an auto accident with entrapment but it also basically a simpler man in the machine type scenario, the two fused together to make one interesting call. I was first on scene and was able to take it all in before the organized chaos ensued. A flatbed truck driven straight underneath 5-tons of machinery. All the stability was taken away from the hopper and transferred to the building and the vehicle itself. The driver was encapsulated basically but unharmed. Literally just in his seat, no way to move one way or the other. As you can imagine by the photos stabilization was the biggest issue which is why a multitude of rescues were brought in, for their cribbing alone, but also for air bags and the other specialty equipment they could provide. Once that was accomplished the actually extrication was easy. As you can tell in the photo slide we removed a back rack and the rear part of the passengers cab and the driver was able to self extricate basically from that point.

Josh thanks for you insights as usual and it was an excellent job by all on the scene for sure.

Very interesting and well present photographs, that well represented the teamwork and thinking outside the box this call required.

markmets415 and TAPSJ like this

And I'm sure DC911 was of some minor assistance with all the requests made, some out of the ordinary...

Of course, they are the unsung helpers in a lot of cases.

effd3918 likes this

Why did the IV contain steak sauce? :D

It's pretty clear from the photos that these were Holsteins, not Black Angus. Holsteins are milking cows, not "steak cows". Get out of the "city" once in a while. :blink:

chris 31 and x129K like this

It's pretty clear from the photos that these were Holsteins, not Black Angus. Holsteins are milking cows, not "steak cows". Get out of the "city" once in a while. :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like you got out of the city.........Look at them sea cow's

HEY! 'Steaky' out in the pasture might beg to differ.....better not let him see this post - come October he will be holstein-burger! :lol:

Any word on the cause of the accident - awful loooong way to travel for 'just' losing control.....I was orig. thinking medical emerg on the part of hte driver, but seeing he walked away.....another reason besides a joy ride for the cow?

This was a particularly tough extrication all around, because not only was it an auto accident with entrapment but it also basically a simpler man in the machine type scenario, the two fused together to make one interesting call. I was first on scene and was able to take it all in before the organized chaos ensued. A flatbed truck driven straight underneath 5-tons of machinery. All the stability was taken away from the hopper and transferred to the building and the vehicle itself. The driver was encapsulated basically but unharmed. Literally just in his seat, no way to move one way or the other. As you can imagine by the photos stabilization was the biggest issue which is why a multitude of rescues were brought in, for their cribbing alone, but also for air bags and the other specialty equipment they could provide. Once that was accomplished the actual extrication was easy. As you can tell in the photo slide we removed a back rack and the rear part of the passengers cab and the driver was able to self extricate basically from that point.

Excellent job on the stabilization on that one chief! Looked like a big challenge and it was handled very professionally, excellent job to you and the crews.

Mark, great pictures!

efdcapt115 likes this

HEY! 'Steaky' out in the pasture might beg to differ.....better not let him see this post - come October he will be holstein-burger! :lol:

Any word on the cause of the accident - awful loooong way to travel for 'just' losing control.....I was orig. thinking medical emerg on the part of hte driver, but seeing he walked away.....another reason besides a joy ride for the cow?

The buzz I had heard was that the driver "blacked out", The cows were picked up only a mile or so from the accident so he hadn't been back on the road that long at the time of the accident and he never "braked".

Excellent job on the stabilization on that one chief! Looked like a big challenge and it was handled very professionally, excellent job to you and the crews.

Mark, great pictures!

Brian they really did do an excellent job of securing the hopper, the cross training Battaloin 4 does together surely paid off at this call.

Chief- thank you for coming on here on giving us insight on the incident. Much appreciated, and I wish more Chiefs were like you in embracing the sharing of information.

Second, Mark, nice shots!

My only suprise was Wasaaic's Rescue. I guess I've never seen it before. Given the talent in that department, I would have thought it to be much bigger. But seems like it's the right size to get close to an incident, especially something like this.

The buzz I had heard was that the driver "blacked out", .......".

Then shame on the MEDIC on scene....although I am not surprised......

One point I would like to bring up, and I hate to single one person out, but a real asset in these type of incidents is 31-2. Granted there are alot of farmers in the departments up yonder, but Chris, given his work background on one of Dutchess' biggest farms, as well as his years of training and experience make him worth his weight in gold in Farm/Rescue incidents.

ndpemt519 likes this

Wow this thread was MOOOOO-ving!!! :D

Glad to hear everyone and the cow is okay.