Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest boredemt

87A1 Cut Effective 8/24/11

34 posts in this topic

Effective 8/24/11 Westchester Medical Center and Transcare have decided to eliminate the 87A1 overnight ALS ambulance that covers the Grasslands Campus. The unit also provides Mutual Aid ALS to the surrounding area. The 87B1 day tour will remain.

Edited by boredemt
effd3918 likes this

Anyone know the reasoning?

I am going to shoot for call volume maybe?

With the economy shining the way that it is.

It's all about the money. If they say that it's not about the money, it's all about the money !

helicopper and FF398 like this

I remember when I worked at 60 Control, 87-A-1 was used for just about anything. It responded on the Grasslands campus basically all day. It could and actually would be used for mutual aid in surrounding communities, even White Plains and New Rochelle.

The concept at the time was that an ambulance would be readily available for the Grasslands campus and WMC facilites, such as the Jail and related facilities, Ruth Taylor, the clinics, NY Medical College, the Juvenille Detention Center, the Fire Training Center, and the Police Academy. And, as part of mentioned above, it responded to incidents around the Grasslands area, often being the first on scene of major incidents.

Who pays for 87-A-1? And will this place a greater burden on Hawthorne VAC and Valhalla VAC? I know both have paid crews now, but when you take away those crews for Grasslands, who's going to be covering the residents of Hawthorne and Valhalla? Is the Fire Brigade still funded. Nothing against anyone, I understand their primary purpose nowadays is to interface with FD's since they know the infastructure well, but the number of EMS calls on campus blows away the number of fire brigade calls.

efdcapt115 likes this

87 is paid for by Westchester Medical Center. the rumor is that Hawthorne and Valhalla have been given a financial incentive to cover the campus at night in lieu of 87. The jail is actually covered by Empress. the other effect of this is that 87 is also White Plains Ambulance 4 when needed.

I remember when I worked at 60 Control, 87-A-1 was used for just about anything. It responded on the Grasslands campus basically all day. It could and actually would be used for mutual aid in surrounding communities, even White Plains and New Rochelle.

The concept at the time was that an ambulance would be readily available for the Grasslands campus and WMC facilites, such as the Jail and related facilities, Ruth Taylor, the clinics, NY Medical College, the Juvenille Detention Center, the Fire Training Center, and the Police Academy. And, as part of mentioned above, it responded to incidents around the Grasslands area, often being the first on scene of major incidents.

Who pays for 87-A-1? And will this place a greater burden on Hawthorne VAC and Valhalla VAC? I know both have paid crews now, but when you take away those crews for Grasslands, who's going to be covering the residents of Hawthorne and Valhalla? Is the Fire Brigade still funded. Nothing against anyone, I understand their primary purpose nowadays is to interface with FD's since they know the infastructure well, but the number of EMS calls on campus blows away the number of fire brigade calls.

It will absolutely be a bigger burden on both Valhalla and Hawthorne EMS, more so for Valhalla because they cover a much bigger portion of the reservation. Hawthorne only covers 20 Hospital Rd (psych ER) and 110 Woods Rd (Taylor Care Center) with Valhalla covering the rest of the campus. I’m not sure what Valhalla VAC’s coverage is in terms of staffing but Hawthorne has 1 EMT on duty 24/7 with a 2nd EMT added Monday thru Friday from 0600-1800hrs. Even with this type of staffing after 1800hrs we can barely get a driver to come down forget about staffing a second bus for an additional call. I don’t know how many runs 87A1 does a year but I am sure it will have an effect on both agencies.

This will also affect the ALS response to the Mt. Pleasant area. When 37M1 is out on a job 87A1 is the towns 2nd due medic. With the removal of this unit where is the 2nd medic going to come from GPD? So that will in turn take a toll on GPD as well leaving them down a medic.

Not to mention, is 37M1 going to be responding to calls on the Reservation at night? This would be stripping the Town of a a Medic - and the taxpayers of Mount Pleasant are paying for this service!

Also, no one has mentioned the burden on Pleasantville. What happens when HFD can't respond - PVAC is their first due mutual aid. Nice that someone mentioned about VVAC and HFD getting some $$$ for this, but what about PVAC who is HFD's first due mutual aid.

P.S. Unlike VVAC and HFD, PVAC has NO paid staff.

PFDRes47cue likes this

Don't forget that the medical center is also a tax payer in the town as are the rest of the companies in the town

Don't forget that the medical center is also a tax payer in the town as are the rest of the companies in the town

And I guess the criminals in the jail and the "model citizens" of Operations Drive are taxpayers too????

Those facilities are owned by the county. And are either operated by a private company or the county. Not Westchester Medical Center. That from the word on the street is one of the reasons the medical center decided not to fund the 87A1 truck on the overnight. The vast majority of thr overnight calls although on the "campus". Had nothing to do with the medical center other then patients being transported there

I just dispatched 87A1 on a call - could this be their last one?

Personally, I hate to see 87A1 go away. I can't tell everyone how many times we've had to utilize them to cover calls as either an ambulance or a Medic in the Mount Pleasant area.

I know someone has to foot the bill, but I really think this is one resource that's been invaluable.

wrx9514 likes this

I agree. It truly has been the mutual aid to the world truck. I used to love working it back in the day.

Perhaps the county will fund it.

I agree. It truly has been the mutual aid to the world truck. I used to love working it back in the day.

ROFLMAO! :lol:

The county probably should fund it. However, the chances of that happening are next to impossible.

You do remember what county we're talking about, right?

ROFLMAO! :lol:

I was going to post exactly that.

The county probably should fund it. However, the chances of that happening are next to impossible.

Can you explain why you think the county should fund it?

Because most of what it covers are county facilities.

87 is paid for by Westchester Medical Center. the rumor is that Hawthorne and Valhalla have been given a financial incentive to cover the campus at night in lieu of 87. The jail is actually covered by Empress. the other effect of this is that 87 is also White Plains Ambulance 4 when needed.

Not a rumor. Both districts, Hawthorne and Valhalla have receied subsidies (I wouldn't call them incentives) to respond to calls in their district on County property. Used to be, years ago, to the tune of 40 or 50K each.

It will absolutely be a bigger burden on both Valhalla and Hawthorne EMS, more so for Valhalla because they cover a much bigger portion of the reservation. Hawthorne only covers 20 Hospital Rd (psych ER) and 110 Woods Rd (Taylor Care Center) with Valhalla covering the rest of the campus. I’m not sure what Valhalla VAC’s coverage is in terms of staffing but Hawthorne has 1 EMT on duty 24/7 with a 2nd EMT added Monday thru Friday from 0600-1800hrs. Even with this type of staffing after 1800hrs we can barely get a driver to come down forget about staffing a second bus for an additional call. I don’t know how many runs 87A1 does a year but I am sure it will have an effect on both agencies.

This will also affect the ALS response to the Mt. Pleasant area. When 37M1 is out on a job 87A1 is the towns 2nd due medic. With the removal of this unit where is the 2nd medic going to come from GPD? So that will in turn take a toll on GPD as well leaving them down a medic.

Then maybe the town should finally get its act together and develop a comprehensive system instead of the patchwork nonsense it has now.

If they need a second medic in the Town of Mt Pleasant, they should pay for one. The days of "free" coverage through revenue recovery are winding down and everyone is looking for someone else to cover them. Nonsense.

Build a system.

Effective 8/24/11 Westchester Medical Center and Transcare have decided to eliminate the 87A1 overnight ALS ambulance that covers the Grasslands Campus. The unit also provides Mutual Aid ALS to the surrounding area. The 87B1 day tour will remain.

So day-time coverage of the hospital facilities remains and we're just talking about the overnight? Is that 1900-0700?

What kind of call volume are we talking about on the overnights from the reservation? 2 a week? 3 a week? Does anyoen really know?

ok i'm gonna show how long I haven't been around now - who has the medic contract for Sleepy Hollow? It was the flycar/ALS rig out of the Med Center when I left. David just told me last night in fact that he saw the old 40M1 car from Westchester on the list. So did it go back to WEMS? if so good for them, if not and if it's still with TransCare is the car actually coming from Mt. Pleasant PD? The other thing is back in 2001/2002 when I manned it, it responded to the jail and all county facilities in the area. So is Empress going to the county jail a new thing or just new for me? And since we're on the subject of jails/prisons. Does WEMS still respond to Bedford and the other female facility there? And OVAC still do Sing-Sing. I can see DOC and the county putting service/transports out to bid but yonkers could be a mighty long run even if most of the calls are just jailitis

The county probably should fund it.
Can you explain why you think the county should fund it?
Because most of what it covers are county facilities.

According to everyone here most of the calls are M/A off the reservation and most of the calls on the reservation can bill Insurance, or Medicaid (which the county pays).

ok i'm gonna show how long I haven't been around now - who has the medic contract for Sleepy Hollow? It was the flycar/ALS rig out of the Med Center when I left. David just told me last night in fact that he saw the old 40M1 car from Westchester on the list. So did it go back to WEMS? if so good for them, if not and if it's still with TransCare is the car actually coming from Mt. Pleasant PD? The other thing is back in 2001/2002 when I manned it, it responded to the jail and all county facilities in the area. So is Empress going to the county jail a new thing or just new for me? And since we're on the subject of jails/prisons. Does WEMS still respond to Bedford and the other female facility there? And OVAC still do Sing-Sing. I can see DOC and the county putting service/transports out to bid but yonkers could be a mighty long run even if most of the calls are just jailitis

Tanscare provides medics for Sleepy Hollow. During the day, 37-Medic-2 covers Sleepy Hollow and some other parts of Mount Pleasant. During the night , there is no 37-Medic-2 so 37-Medic-1 covers all of Mount Pleasant including Sleep Hollow. These cars do not respond from Mount Pleasant Police HQ. Often times, 37-Medic-2 responds from the reservation.

Often times, the 36 Medic is used for Mutual Aid to Mount Pleasant when the 37 Medics are tied up on jobs.

The added incentives for covering calls on the reservation is complete BS IMHO...the county should consider looking into making sure the incentives are going to the agencies that do the calls on the reservation, and not just to the agencies that have the reservation in their jurisdiction.

Not a rumor. Both districts, Hawthorne and Valhalla have receied subsidies (I wouldn't call them incentives) to respond to calls in their district on County property. Used to be, years ago, to the tune of 40 or 50K each.

I think you should re check your facts before you post. Hawthorne and Valhalla are NOT getting more money from the county since 87 was removed. Hawthorne and Valhalla do in fact get money from the county but that is mostly for providing FIRE protection to the reservation on weekends and after 1530hrs on weekdays. Valhalla and Hawthorne are also required to supply drivers for the county gators when requested as part of the contract.

So is GPD EMS gonna cover WestHelp now that 87A1 isn't gonna be around? I have lot's too say about this, but can't coment for obviousreasons to some on here that know me! I think it stinks, and feel bad for the sick/injured person that is gonna have to wait for ALS after 1900hrs because 37M1 is on a call! Good luck!

I thought, when they first set up shop in Elmsford, in the office park across from Dana Rd (to be close to WMC), part of the agreement was for Transcare to provide an ambulance for the campus, and, in exchange, they got the lucrative WMC transport contract.

Who is staffing the Stat Flight ground ambulances now? Still Transcare?

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

Also, and no offense to anyone, Greenburgh doesn't have enough EMS for their own district when I lived there, and from what I have heard multiple timmes, is that it is still the same. They want mort ambulances fully staffed on the street, but the Town doesn't want to pay for it. Plus, if you sent a Paramedic flycar or BLS ambulance, you are likely to be taking a Police Officer off the street as well if the civilian bus is on a call.

Since the campus is under Westchester County's control, and in WCPD's jurisdiction, maybe we need to see a WCPD or DES ambulance, like in Nassau County.

People can get injured on the campus and have to wait for an ambulance, yet if that patient was on fire during the weekday hours exluding holidays, you would have plenty of resources to put out the fire. Nobody wants to pay the bill for EMS, but when it comes to fire departments......