Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
X2321

Pleasantville Fire Mavis Tire

20 posts in this topic

Alot of tower ladders.

Pleasantville has a very good municipal water system in this part of town. No need for tankers. IIRC the exposures are the street, parking lot, railroad tracks, and an auto body shop.

Must be nice...I am slightly jealous..LOL.

Love seeing multiple towers up when conditions dictate...

Pleasantville has a very good municipal water system in this part of town. No need for tankers. IIRC the exposures are the street, parking lot, railroad tracks, and an auto body shop.

Daniels Auto Body is very very very close on the D side of the building. These building might actually only be a few inches apart.

Here's an almost excellent video of the first few minutes of the incident.

The naration from the amateur videoagraphers is priceless in these videos.

Must be nice...I am slightly jealous..LOL.

Love seeing multiple towers up when conditions dictate...

I started off in Pleasantville, and now that I am in a department that relies on tankers I realize how much easier it was to establish water supply.

PFDRes47cue and x129K like this

Daniels Auto Body is very very very close on the D side of the building. These building might actually only be a few inches apart.

It looks like they are touching...

post-4352-0-98013000-1315087403.jpg

Photo from Pleasantville Patch

Edited by ac316scu
x129K likes this

It looks like they are touching...

post-4352-0-98013000-1315087403.jpg

Photo from Pleasantville Patch

Its really is a non-issue the cars in the picture were at the body shop ( which as of an hour ago seems to have not had much damage) and thanks to all for no letting the fire spread the the automotive paint stored at the body shop. Big praise for the officer who spotted the fire. My wife and I could hear the ever increasing number sirens from our window.

Did the wall blow out because of the weight of the water on the roof? Or the force of water? Or explosion?

Did the wall blow out because of the weight of the water on the roof? Or the force of water? Or explosion?

Cinder block exterior walls in buildings with self supporting steel truss flat roofs sometimes fail as a result of the heat from a fire causes the trusses to sag which shifts the downward roof load from a vertical to a horizontal plane, and the weight bearing wall columns can't sustain that thrust.

JetPhoto likes this

Don't forget to rep the aweome photographer who started this thread +1 for his photojournalistic talent.

If the weight of the water on the roof is an issue, then the tactics of pooring water onto it from tower ladders is a waste of time and water. Bring those towers down to street level and get the water under the waterproof roofing.

BFD1054, x129K and grumpyff like this

If the weight of the water on the roof is an issue, then the tactics of pooring water onto it from tower ladders is a waste of time and water. Bring those towers down to street level and get the water under the waterproof roofing.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ceiling and rear wall collapsed shortly after the chiefs arrived and before fire suppression began.

Thanks again to anyone on Eng 91 at the fire BTW. Shortly after opening up my line (BC corner), my mask split apart. They quickly offered me their spare.

Grumpyff - Agreed, P'ville does have a very good water supply system there. It definitely made things easier. Note that for all three TLs to operate, two of the three could only operate 1 nozzle to maintain enough pressure - so I was told after the fact. Pics 11 & 12 on the lohud site depicts this (Not complaining, just noting).

PFDRes47cue & ac316scu - The B side (near A-corner) of D.A.B. is directly adjacent to Mavis' C/D corner for roughly 10-15 feet of Mavis' D side. If that makes sense...?

I cannot say for certain, but it appeared the (d-side) roof was already partly collapsed before the 1st hand line was opened up. The hand lines were open prior to the towers being up and flowing. After a short while the hand lines were ordered to clear out while 2 of the TLs deluged the the melted tractor trailer, the store room just beyond the c-side, and a portion of the roof. Due to angle issues, the TLs could not quite reach everything so the hand lines mopped up. I have a head/helmet cam, but sadly the batteries were dead. Maybe next time.