Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firefighter59

Fairview (Greenburgh) Rescue 3 Spy Shots - Spartan Furion EVI

26 posts in this topic

kinda looks familiar??? dont know wher ive seen a small chasis like that before..

looks good so far!! good luck fairveiw!!!!!!

kinda looks familiar??? dont know wher ive seen a small chasis like that before..

Buchanan Engine Co got one

Buchanan got a new rescue on this chassis. Good luck, looks great.

Do I detect a bit of undetectable sarcasm? BFD just picked up one of these rigs, tiny but fits the smaller streets we run down. Nice rig Fairview!

IIRC Doesn't Miami Dade have a few of these with the Braun bodies?? That might be where you saw them before.

I am somewhat surprised at the choice of chassis. Rescue 3 is without a doubt one of the busiest FD units in the county. Although Spartan makes a rock solid full sized chassis, this medium sized variant seems to be somewhat of an unknown. The International 4000 series that is being replaced (at least that's what I think it is) has hundreds of thousands of examples running throughout the world and Rescue 3's particular model has stood the test of time. Why the departure away from the seemingly bullet proof commercial chassis?

Please note: I am a proponent of function before form. Thus, my opinion is NOT based on the fact that the Furion chassis is somewhat goofy looking. If one could prove that it was every bit as reliable, durable, and efficient as the International that it replaces AND comes with added benefits such as better turning radius, shorter overall length, better crew area etc. than I'm all for it.

Edited by mfc2257

Thanks for the spy shots! I've been checking Fairview's website daily hoping to see a delivery shot, dying to see how they designed it.

Side note, Fairvew has a TON of vintage photos on their Facebook page from times gone by. It's an excellent page to follow!

Why the departure away from the seemingly bullet proof commercial chassis?

Voters turned down a bond proposal to renovate and expand both obsolete and small firehouses. Rescue 3 would have been a bit larger and probaly on a larger chasis if that had happened, but you can hardly walk around in the bay at headquarters as it is. There is also a weight restriction.

Voters also had a bad taste in their mouths after Greenburgh decided to build a $70 million dollars new library, and taxes went up. There were voters that came out to specifically vote "No" because of the library and not wanting to pay a very small, very reasonable fire district tax hike for a project that was very well researched, presented, and planned. Therfore, with Fairview being in a fire district where 50%+ of it is non-taxable, Fairvew has to squeeze every dollar out of their budget.

The current Rescue 3, on an International 4x4 chasis and KME body, has over 100,000 miles on it and has had it's share of problems with the chasis and body. It was donated by Hebrew Home For The Elderly, which takes up a sizeable chunk of property in the district that's non-taxable- and also is responsible for hundreds of Fire and EMS calls each year.

Rescue 3 responds with the shift commander and a firefighter.

With Station 1 being so centrally located for the District, Rescue 3 could't be any larger then it is now. The Spartan Furion chasis, not having a "nose", actually allows more gear and more space in the cab, and allows for a larger body. Mechanically, amongst other things, it offers better turnning radius, easier maintainence with a tilt cab. They did a great job spec'ing it out with all the road blocks they had in obtaining funding for it and space. If you note two things in these photos, the need for extra space for the new 2010 Exhaust systems, and the rigging points on all four corners of the body. It will also have winch reciever hitches on all four sides as well.

As mentioned, Rescue 3 has to squeeze into small bay space with weight restrictions, with Engine 175 to the back, and Ladder one on it's other side. There is literally no room to walk. And when it pulls onto the apron, the turning radius out of HQ is tight.

CURRENT Rescue 3:

post-11-0-34652900-1317061268.jpg

i love rescue 3!!!! any idea what they are gonna do with the old one??

IIRC Doesn't Miami Dade have a few of these with the Braun bodies?? That might be where you saw them before.

i think u are taking about the braun patriot body...correct me if im wrong its a fire truck front with and ambulance body.

Spartan Chassis, though. I thought it looked similar.

I would think they would keep it to carry thier special ops equipment, which is housed in a variety of trailers and other assorted vehicles. Such as swift water rescue equipment, since it sits high and is 4x4 and can navigate through safe flooding easier then other vehicles. It would probaly be great in a snowstorm as well. Maybe it will go to the Greenburgh Technical Rescue team. Maybe it will got to Greenburgh PD ESU.

I'd like to see it go to Hartsdale-don't know if they have room at Station 2, haven't been theres since 2007 before the renovation, or if it will fit in Station 1, but they are the only ones who don't have a rescue but a lot of members with a lot of knowledge and trainng. It does't have to be staffed, but it would be a good piece especially during storms and other incidents. It could also function as a high rise unit,and swift water and flooding equipment for when the Bronx River Parkway floods.

Unless they need to sell it for the money. If they do and someone is willing to put up a lot of money to rebuild and replace vital components if it is a frontline piece, it's really a great piece.

Also, I don't know if they even have space at Station 2 for it.

Final inspection was today. *SPY SHOT* by and special thanks to TR54, is posted on

http://www.emtbravo.com

As the Featured Photo.

I've also seen some other angles, and FFD did a very impressive job of spec'ing out a rescue truck of this size utilizing every inch of space to carry as much gear as safely as possible.

TR54 and firedude like this

http://eng27ine.smugmug.com/Events/6-27-10-New-England-Chiefs/DSC0020NEFA/915207588_dCXnN-L.jpg

Tese rescues have become more popular, I have noticed. Buchanan has one ( in picture above ) also multiple departments in MA. I went on vacation a week ago in Cape Cod, and stopped at some points to see certain towns fire apparatus, saw 3-4 of these. I am liking the small truck, but fits so much!

The Spartan Furion chassis. Not too shabby...great for a smaller lighter duty chassis. Not exactly my cup of tea but you spec to what you need. Rosenbauer offers this chassis also. Hope it serves you well.

Fairview FD is keeping the old Rescue 3. The truck will be in reserve. Other uses are planned.

Fairview FD is keeping the old Rescue 3. The truck will be in reserve. Other uses are planned.

What will it be designated as?

What will it be designated as?

i am also intrested in its designation

I think the new Rescue-3 looks great. Congrats to the FFD and may it serve you well for years to come.

To my knowledge, Buchanan has been happy with their Furion.

Im sure the men at FFD will give the new R3 a run for her money and really see what its worth.

Nice to see it came with a "real" siren as well B) .

Edited by BFD1054
Spartan052 likes this

Here is a photo of the new Fairview's Rescue 3

Great shot Joe, thanks for sharing. Im out of "rep" points for the day, but ill get ya tomorrow lol.

x129K likes this