Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

One Of The Most Awesome Ladder Truck's I've Ever Photographed

26 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I had the chance to travel to Bryan, TX to see their new Platform Aerial truck. Bryan,TX has about it all.....residential,commercial,light industrial, heavy industrial, railroad,highway, airport, research facilities, a major university, etc. They are located in "Aggie Country", meaning they are just north of College Station, home of Texas A&M. They are also near one of the top fire schools in the world, TEEX.

They protect 73,000 people over a 43 square mile area, and maintain a Class 2 ISO rating. They have an excellent hydrant system throughout their district.

They run from 5 stations- 5 engines, 5 ambulances, a regional Mobile Command Post, several Zodiac boats, a Fire Shift Commander Suburban, an EMS Shift Commander Chevy 3500/Frazer UCV, and numerous other support vehicles. They run only as a truck and rescue company, but can act as an engine company if needed. ALL Bryan firefighters are also Paramedics. They also are trained in numerous technical rescue disciplines, which are kept in trailers set up specifically for that operation. They are part of a regional tech rescue team, and respond throughout the Brazos Valley region of Texas.

Besides being an overall beautiful truck, it has many, many amazing specs. A lot of this was done by Crimson, but a lot of work was done by the dealer, MetroFire of Houston, TX. They put reflective striping on everything, including inside the compartments so you don't lose your reflective striping when you open a compartment. They also did a lot of custom tool and equipment mounting, and made use of every single inch of space on this truck, plus kept some for room to grow.

Some of them include:

-2011 Spartan Gladiator Extreme Duty, with most of the cab being powdercoated or diamondplated

-Laser outrigger placement indicators for driver positioning for day and night calls

-Capable of flowing 3,000 GPM at the tip, while having 1,000 lbs. in the bucket.

-Cascade system capable of filling two SCBA bottles at a time, while charging the breathing air tanks for the bucket connections. In the fire station, they have a shoreline for breathing air.

-One side of the truck set up for rescue operations, the other set up for firematic operations.

-All tools have their place

-MDT's for everyone

-Large 3 section steel platform aerial, with wide walkway and LED lighting everywhere to see where you are standing or walking

-Tools in box and mounted on aerial include parapet ladders, attack hoselines, tools, stokes baskets, etc.

SEE DETAILED PHOTOS OF THE SPECS BY X635 AT THE FOLLOWING LINK:

http://www.emtbravo.com/texas/apparatus/bryantruck1.php

This is the only Truck Company in the City Of Bryan. It is staffed with 4 firefighters, including the Lt. and Engineer. It replaces a 1994 E-One Aerial Platform..

post-11-0-07271600-1317772465.jpg

Check out my detail photos here:http://www.emtbravo.com/texas/apparatus/bryantruck1.php

M'eh...decent - it works for them, so that's good.

Beautiful to look at but in my own personal opinion a mid-mount tower ladder is far superior to a rear mount as far as positioning the aerial for its main objectives and purposes

Beautiful to look at but in my own personal opinion a mid-mount tower ladder is far superior to a rear mount as far as positioning the aerial for its main objectives and purposes

Actually, I personally prefer a midmount, but they love their rearmounts down here. I don't understand how getting in the bucket is easy. Keeps the truck short with the ability to have a full large size pump and appropriate sized pump panel, which most midmount's don't have the space for.

This Crimson rearmount is actually pretty versatile. It can sweep the 180 degrees with it's platform at the ground. It can be used below grade similar to an Aerialscope. It can be rotated easily 360 degrees when it the air. And during an extended operation, you can easily change out firefighters without having to move the bucket. That's nice with rehab cycles, especially in the Texas heat.

Crimson Really Builds some really nice top of the line trucks.

great shots, one question though what is that key box with the number pad looks like its on the officers side of the truck?

Chris

Seth, great job on the photos! A very nice looking truck. Is that a MDT folded down between the front seats? Also they have a laptop for the guys in the rear? :huh:

They do. There also becoming a major player down here in Texas has well.

Crimson Really Builds some really nice top of the line trucks.

Not only do they have a new ladder they also got two new engines has will.

Engine 1 2010 Spartan Metro Star/Crimson, 1500/500

post-15697-0-77191100-1317792884.jpg

sfrd18 likes this

Interesting place for the Knox-Box. Looks like a well planned rig.

Actually, I personally prefer a midmount, but they love their rearmounts down here. I don't understand how getting in the bucket is easy. Keeps the truck short with the ability to have a full large size pump and appropriate sized pump panel, which most midmount's don't have the space for.

Which is funny, considering in the Northeast where tiny streets are a major issue, everyone and their brother has a midmount TL whereas down in Texas, where I'd imagine you have more much broad streets since there's less of a space issue, they use rearmounts because they are shorter... :blink:

86,000 Pounds 43 Tons. We couldn't even run that rig up here in the Northeast. Lets see that rig in 3 Years.When your running that heavy down the Road that's gonna take a toll on Major Components. Unless they do only 1000 calls a year.

A little weak in the ground ladder complement. Nonetheless, there are some nice ideas/options on this rig.

great shots, one question though what is that key box with the number pad looks like its on the officers side of the truck?

It's a Knox Box. It's mounted there so the officer doesn't have to climb up for the keys, or take up space in the front.

Seth, great job on the photos! A very nice looking truck. Is that a MDT folded down between the front seats? Also they have a laptop for the guys in the rear? :huh:

Thanks! Up front, that is an MDT, with an arm to make it flexibile. It's in front of the officer so it doesn't obstruct visibily. The MDT in the back is mainly so that freifghters can write EMS reports.

Not only do they have a new ladder they also got two new engines has will.

I will have details shots of the beautiful Engine 1 you posted soon....

Which is funny, considering in the Northeast where tiny streets are a major issue, everyone and their brother has a midmount TL whereas down in Texas, where I'd imagine you have more much broad streets since there's less of a space issue, they use rearmounts because they are shorter...

There are some pretty tight streets in Bryan, especially downtown. Some of the structures and roads were built started in the 1850's. A lot of the industrial facilites were built in the early to mid 1900's, and have very tight driveways and roads. There are also some very tight residential areas.

86,000 Pounds 43 Tons. We couldn't even run that rig up here in the Northeast. Lets see that rig in 3 Years.When your running that heavy down the Road that's gonna take a toll on Major Components. Unless they do only 1000 calls a year.

The Ladder runs only truck company and rescue runs. Since it's replacement cycle is longer, it is very well maintained and runs are limited (but don't mistake that-it is a busy department). The chasis and components are pretty much overbuilt. Except for the railroad areas, there streets are pretty well maintained and not like streets in the northeast, since they really don't suffer from the seasonal weather. From what I am told, it does handle like the beast that it is.

A little weak in the ground ladder complement. Nonetheless, there are some nice ideas/options on this rig.

On the slideout, there are some more ground ladders. I think the heavier ones are mounted on that, so it's easier then having to manually pull it out from the truck. You just pull the slideout out, and put the ladder on your shoulders evenly.

Nice looking rig.

All this technology and engineering and no one can come up with a place for the officer to put their helmet?

Nice looking rig.

All this technology and engineering and no one can come up with a place for the officer to put their helmet?

If you'll notice, in the back there are mounts for hanger for the helmet. They have one of those up front too, underneath the Lt's gear. I posed the helmet for that shot.

sweet rig... only a 2 man crew other than the driver and officer is interesting though

sweet rig... only a 2 man crew other than the driver and officer is interesting though

Just curious, what is interesting about the staffing?

Nice rig! (and photos) Does the rig have a tank or hose complement?

Edited by FireSquad911

It does have a 500 gallon booster tank, and two handlines and a trash line mostly if needed somewhere around the truck for attack, but no supply lines except for the two 5" donut rolls. The way the SOP's work is that the truck gets into position based on SOP's and a strategic plan for some of the more complicated strucures, and an Engine can stretch LDH and pump to them. This also freed up a lot of space allowing more space for other equipment and infastructure.

The 2250 GPM pump is mainly use, in conjunction with their exceptional high pressure hydrant system and another engine (1500GPM) hooking in to achieve 3000GPM at the tip.

What is the total ft. on the ladder with the ladder extended to the max

100'

Just curious, what is interesting about the staffing?

Just coming out of New York I'm used to seeing bigger crews

Veryyy nice rig i like the everyone goes home sign in the back of the cab

Veryyy nice rig i like the everyone goes home sign in the back of the cab

It's also on the inside of their bay doors so you see it just before the door is completly up.

Just coming out of New York I'm used to seeing bigger crews

To obtain the maximum life of this expensive piece of machinery, it doesn't respond on every alarm (i.e. Automatic Alarms) nor does it make lunch, inspections, or any uneccesary runs that would add to wear and tear and fuel costs. Don't let this mean they don't train with it, though. The goal is to have 15 years frontline.

And, although it only has a crew of 4, it is all that is needed for operations with this truck. Engines run 5, and all firefighters are crosstrained as Paramedics. Therefore, ambulances can respond to the scene only if REALLY needed on scene ASAP and act as firefighters. It's also not needed on most house fires, etc.