Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

North Hudson NJ Firefighters Can't wear Pink T-Shirts

34 posts in this topic

CBS News Story

NJ Firefighters Told They Can’t Wear Pink T-Shirts In Public For Breast Cancer Awareness Month

According to Tim Colacci, the vice president of the North Hudson Firefighters Association, the pink shirts were a hit with the public.

Their bosses, however, said if the firefighters wore the pink T-shirts in public while on duty and walked off firehouse grounds, they’d be disciplined.

Saw the Fire Chief on the news.

He was wearing a pink shirt under his uniform shirt.

He said he had no problem with firefighters doing the same, he just would not authorize the bright pink shirt as an outer garment.

I don't have a problem with that and am surprised the union is making an issue of it.

He said he had no problem with firefighters doing the same, he just would not authorize the bright pink shirt as an outer garment.

I don't have a problem with that and am surprised the union is making an issue of it.

So then I guess that means that it is ok to wear pink socks as long as you wear black socks over them. Sounds like a little chicken ---- to me. Many FDs are allowing members to wear pink Ts for a specified period of time during the month of October in support of cancer awareness. I gues there are still a few dinosaurs out there.ote name

The department is the one making the issue. Every major league sport and many other high-profile entities wear pink for cancer awareness at various times. To say you can't wear the pink shirts off FD property is just silly. The union is just trying to do the right thing.

You know, we complain about visibility and being conspicuous all the time - the pink shirts definitely remedy that.

BFD1054, efdcapt115 and Bnechis like this

The department has a uniform policy plan and simple, just like every other department. Where I work we cannot wear a pink shirt or do red shirt Fridays. We have to wear our standard uniform shirt and a navy blue work t-shirt under it. That is our policy, yes we would like to be able to do wear the shirts in support but rules are rules. There are other ways to show your support like with a ribbon or pin on your shirt, obviously with permission. I'm assuming somewhere down the line their uniform policy was a problem and they began enforcing it.

Also the quote "We were under the impression it was improved" pretty much can make you take it both ways; either they had permission to make up a shirt for presentation or they just had them made up and began wearing them with out proper permission.

If there is an agreed uniform policy between the local and the management well it has to be followed. Sounds like both sides didn't follow up properly.

Edited by IzzyEng4
JohnnyOV likes this

I know a bunch of career depts that had shirts made for this month, with the dept logo/union logo on the front, and the FD name on the back, but in black font, and they can wear it on shift.

Edited by newsbuff

I say shame on the department for taking such a hard line on this.

I am so proud of everyone and all the businesses and companies that have gone pink to support breast cancer.

One of the above posters mentioned something about dinosaurs and I think thats more than likely what this is... some old backward thinking that is not allowing these guys to wear pink.

All departments in the emergency service need good public relations and supporting breast cancer awareness month is a great way to do that but now the backward thinking has turned something positive into a black eye for the department.....

The department is the one making the issue. Every major league sport and many other high-profile entities wear pink for cancer awareness at various times. To say you can't wear the pink shirts off FD property is just silly. The union is just trying to do the right thing.

You know, we complain about visibility and being conspicuous all the time - the pink shirts definitely remedy that.

Wow..

Some of the responses are interesting.

Does this mean firefighters should be able to wear whatever color shirt they feel like wearing to commemorate other annual events?

As far as sports teams, many are wearing pink accesories like gloves/mouth guards/ribbons on hats/etc, none have switched entire parts of their uniforms to pink.

Seeing the comments on this subjects reminds me why uniforms standards are necessary.

One would think with all the upheaval regarding labor the union would have something better to complain about.

I think the chief is correct.

Wow..

Does this mean firefighters should be able to wear whatever color shirt they feel like wearing to commemorate other annual events?

As far as sports teams, many are wearing pink accesories like gloves/mouth guards/ribbons on hats/etc, none have switched entire parts of their uniforms to pink.

Seeing the comments on this subjects reminds me why uniforms standards are necessary.

One would think with all the upheaval regarding labor the union would have something better to complain about.

I am not always a fan of municipal administrations however, uniform standards are standards. The goal is that every member of the service can be readily identifiable,

hence the uniform. The problem with bending the rules for a cause is while this cause may be a noble one, what do they say when the next group approaches for the same consideration down the road. If a child goes missing can the administration deny the request for wearing of the child’s picture on tee shirts to raise awareness of the missing child. If a friend or family has an affliction, do they allow another shirt in support? How about labor actions or the occupy Wall Street movement?

I believe that while no one disputes the importance of breast cancer (or any other disease) awareness however there are other things that we can do to show our support.

Uniforms should remain uniform and bending the rules would open a can of worms that the administration would have problems containing.

Change....we fear change!!!

That's a pretty lame excuse to through out every time management enforces the rules. Does the hardline seem a little much? Sure, we we have no backstory either. Things like this tend to follow Union/Admin trends. Could there be some contention right now? The bigger the dept/union the more things all become bargaining tools. Maybe the union took a hard stance one something else, and now is feeling those effects.

I personally think the idea of a finite period or specific days makes sense, as this is a publicity nightmare for the admin, but if you look at the definition of uniform, you find why there are pretty exacting standards. Next week it'll be brown t-shirts, or Save the Ta Ta's. This is a labor-management issue that shouldn't ever see the light of day.

27east likes this

Uniforms, pink fire engines or whatever. I think we are into too many causes without doing any research into the cause. How much money does the charity already have? What are their CEO's making, and what percentage actually gets to the cause? Did we look or did we just jump on the bandwagon? You could be very surprised!

And,yes, I am wearing a pink T-shirt...my wife washed my whites with a red golf shirt.

Edited by wraftery
antiquefirelt and ny10570 like this

I support the guys supporting charity, as it should be. However, uniform policy is meant to be followed. If the shirts weren't approved it's unfortunate but they perhaps needed to find another way to support the cause. Personally, I think many public servants take the their uniforms too lightly...I am sick of seeing jeans from volly squads on a set tour, backwards yankee caps on the privates and a t-shirt from whatever union or Joe Schmoe Annual Golf tournament on the local engine crews. Last time I checked, in most cases uniforms w/ the exception of the vollys uniforms are provided or paid for and there are rules about wearing them. Regardless the skills the wearer may have, it detracts from public opinion, and degrades us all a little when folks throw non-uniform items into the mix. Bottom line, support whatever worthy cause your heard desires, even on the job..just do it in a way consistant with the rules!

helicopper likes this

Instead of the department wasting money on tshirts, why don't they donate the money to a breast cancer research fund. Much better PR.

Uniforms, pink fire engines or whatever. I think we are into too many causes without doing any research into the cause. How much money does the charity already have? What are their CEO's making, and what percentage actually gets to the cause? Did we look or did we just jump on the bandwagon? You could be very surprised!

And,yes, I am wearing a pink T-shirt...my wife washed my whites with a red golf shirt.

BINGO!!! Publicity is nice, but all this money is being wasted on BS. A few firefighters wearing pink shirts is not going to raise awareness. The money they wasted on those pink shirts will help. The Susan G Kohman fund is a fiscally responsible charity with appropriate expenditures in executive compensation and advertising, but the vast amount of money other groups dump in the name of the charity is not tracked. How much has the NFL spent? Corporations funding the lighting of the pyramids, stringing bridges with bras, etc. is all money not going to research.

Lung cancer kills nearly twice as many women while affecting %60 fewer. It is a far more lethal cancer in both its efficiency and scope. Then we have number one killer of women, heart disease at 25% of all deaths and combined with stroke, you now can account for 1/3 of all deaths. In the end, breast cancer is number 6 on the list.

Yes, breast cancer is terrible and one victim is enough to justify research and investment. My issue is with the disproportionate focus. If you want to give, choose someone like the American Cancer Society, funding research against all types of cancer affecting men, women, and children.

Edited by ny10570

Wow..

As with every cause that is done it comes down to planning and getting the appropriate permissions in place. Fire Prevention and Public education is the primary function of an emergency service and to add on to your point about sports teams wearing pink and not switching entire parts of the uniforms...the members aren't asking to switch their entire uniform just the shirts they wear. Breast Cancer Awareness is a month and as with many organizations you have to choose what you feel is going to be a program you want to stick with and make it work for you. I know many FD's where it was agreed that October and wearing pink is the only endeavor of such that the administration would support while at work.

And you are correct why uniform standards are needed. Which is why when we approached our administration to do the same thing one of our points to them and all of our members was that everyone working had to have the pink shirt on and we had them all made to the same exact standard as our normal duty golf shirt...only difference is its pink and not blue.

Our "Proud to Wear Pink" experience has been overwhelming with the public support and positive PR that we've gotten for wearing them. On top of it we are selling pink t-shirts to raise funds to dontate to the new breast cancer center that is in the process of being constructed in a new wing of our local hospital. We just placed our 3rd order for more and our program to raise funds and raise awareness really exceded our expectations above and beyond.

So for some of you continue to live in your box and figure out why your communities don't understand what you do or why they pay taxes the way they do. Our community bought into what we set out to do and many because of our choice of support for our fundraiser have expressed their admiration for our investment into our community and its residents well being.

Cancer stretches wide and far...and while #6 on deaths breast cancer affects a significant amount of women and fundraisers and such have already improved treatments which allows that number to get lower and lower every year. Breast cancer is often a primary cancer because of great amount of lymph nodes that gives open access to the body for it to spread. If you don't like breast cancer that's fine...you and your agency don't have to pursue it...pick a cause and go for it.

And finally by the way the IAFF as a whole is doing the Proud to Wear Pink Campaign to raise funds for Susan G. Kohman Foundation. Just like they do a national local drive for muscular dystrophy. I could add more but I have to go wash my pink golf shirts for work tomorrow and go sell some more t-shirts for our fundraiser. Have fun blending in...I'll be interacting with my community tomorrow...all because we are "proud to wear pink."

Danger, batt2, antiquefirelt and 1 other like this

Yup..totally unprofessional and the end of the world :rolleyes:

post-85-0-65168100-1319039500.jpg

Edited by alsfirefighter
efdcapt115 and firedude like this

So for some of you continue to live in your box and figure out why your communities don't understand what you do or why they pay taxes the way they do. Our community bought into what we set out to do and many because of our choice of support for our fundraiser have expressed their admiration for our investment into our community and its residents well being.

Wearing a pink shirt as an outer garment instead of the blue uniform shirt is changing an entire part of the uniform.

I still don't understand how a bright pink undershirt showing under the uniformed blue/white shirt isn't good enough.

Call me crazy but when I see "professionals" wearing pink shirts or other non uniform items as bold as pink shirts I am not inspired to support them more than I normally would.

I think the money spent ordering the pink shirts should have been donated instead to the cause.

I still stand with the chief.

I donate money every month for the past few years to fight cancer.

I just spent money to help some kids fund raise for Breast Cancer.

I don't and haven't worn anything pink in support of Breast Cancer, does that make somehow less supportive of the cause?

Yup..totally unprofessional and the end of the world :rolleyes:

Very nice photo. Thanks for sharing it with the board.

Call me crazy but when I see "professionals" wearing pink shirts or other non uniform items as bold as pink shirts I am not inspired to support them more than I normally would.

By looking at the picture that ALS posted above, I would absolutely disagree with you, but that's your opinion and your entitled to it. I think that from the perspective of someone not affiliated with the dept, i.e. the public, this is a great way to start a conversation with someone that may be walking past the firehouse, or someone you see on a call. Truely a great PR piece, as Peekskill and White Plains, along with others are showing. The article about WPFD proves it.

Pics of many other professional dept's going pink, courtesy of the IAFF website.

Edited by newsbuff
efdcapt115 likes this

OH NOOO LOOK OVER THERE...... its a group of firefighters wearing blue tee shirts , they must love cancer since they are not wearing pink.... but they look so professional wearing there uniform as per regulations. Look if the Chief says no he says no. Sell tee shirts insteed. If a group of firefighters went to the Chief and said can we climb a ladder and act like a bunch of monkeys to support save the monkey month and he said no.... do you think this would of made the news? This just is not a big deal.

It comes down to this plain and simple. Many of you have expressed your opinions one way or the other with regard to firefighters wearing pink shirts during the Cancer Awareness Month. That's fine, we all have an opinion and are entitled to have one. The question however would be; why did this particular department end up on the CBS News because there ended up being disagreement about wearing the pink shirts?

The answer is right in the news story. The Local "assumed" it would be okay, probably because it's a national cause backed by the IAFF, and many many departments are participating. The chief got a bug up his rear (as chiefs will do), when the employees just went ahead and did it, and obviously didn't get his permission. The Local "assumed" it was department approved, probably because they did the same thing last year. Knowing a little bit about how chiefs can think, maybe the chief said to himself last year "okay, they get a pass on it this year, but come next year they'd better show the respect for doing this through the proper channels." In other words "they'd better ask me next time."

So a whole year passes, and that chief has it in the back of his mind. Maybe he hears around the firehouse how the guys are "ordering shirts" and he thinks again "they'd better ask this time."

Comes "the day" and the members are all giddy to put on their pink shirts. Just one thing; nobody EVER asked the chief if it was okay. So bingo, shirts go on and the chief is ready, knows what he's going to do; ban wearing them. But he's still the guy who got disrespected last year and let it slide, so he tells them they can still wear the shirts, just not as on overshirt.

And boy is the Local pissed. The chief is firm in his decision. Naturally he doesn't let on what the root cause of this whole issue is, because he thinks "how much more of a basic common sense issue is this, that NOBODY can think to ask permission?" So he waits, stays firm in his decision, waiting for one guy to remember they need to ask permission. And nobody does. Then somebody drops a dime to CBS News. Now inside, the chief is infuriated, but he doesn't show it. He's not going to give the dime dropper the satisfaction of knowing they "got to him."

And with that call to the media, the guys used a nail-gun to rapidly finish the coffin sealing.

From the guys perspective, they see the IAFF magazine, they see all these big city departments participating in the program, there's a lot of resentment toward the chief. But STILL, nobody thinks to ask permission.

This pink shirt episode is a perfect analogy for what goes wrong with department communications, and why issues spiral upward and become worse rather than getting to the base causes more rapidly, and getting problems solved. What happened in North Jersey; let it become a learning experience for some of the younger members here. You MUST respect the chain of command, and if you expect your chief to just go along with things, and you forget that without the nod of the chief, life on the job can become very difficult, try to remember what happened here.

I totally think these guys should be able to wear their shirts, in solidarity with the International, and all the countless departments taking place in this good cause. But guys, we have to remember our chiefs are human beings, and even the ones who exhibit very little to no ego at all can still take it personally if the members start doing things on their own, without the approval of the officer in charge.

Good lesson in here.

ny10570, wraftery, Bnechis and 1 other like this

I think the Chief and Union could come to an agreement for October that the crews could wear pink t shirts while on duty but when October is over it's back to the regular uniform. If there was/is a function that requires class A's then that is what should be worn. Yes uniform policy is policy but the Chief and the Union usually agree and set that policy so an amendment in support of breast cancer isn't far off base.

I agree there are many causes I don't think Voyager of the Seas has enough area to hold all the magnetic ribbons supporting someone's cause. My daughter has Sickle Cell disease can I get a ribbon?

It comes down to this plain and simple. Many of you have expressed your opinions one way or the other with regard to firefighters wearing pink shirts during the Cancer Awareness Month. That's fine, we all have an opinion and are entitled to have one. The question however would be; why did this particular department end up on the CBS News because there ended up being disagreement about wearing the pink shirts?

The answer is right in the news story. The Local "assumed" it would be okay, probably because it's a national cause backed by the IAFF, and many many departments are participating. The chief got a bug up his rear (as chiefs will do), when the employees just went ahead and did it, and obviously didn't get his permission. The Local "assumed" it was department approved, probably because they did the same thing last year. Knowing a little bit about how chiefs can think, maybe the chief said to himself last year "okay, they get a pass on it this year, but come next year they'd better show the respect for doing this through the proper channels." In other words "they'd better ask me next time."

So a whole year passes, and that chief has it in the back of his mind. Maybe he hears around the firehouse how the guys are "ordering shirts" and he thinks again "they'd better ask this time."

Comes "the day" and the members are all giddy to put on their pink shirts. Just one thing; nobody EVER asked the chief if it was okay. So bingo, shirts go on and the chief is ready, knows what he's going to do; ban wearing them. But he's still the guy who got disrespected last year and let it slide, so he tells them they can still wear the shirts, just not as on overshirt.

And boy is the Local pissed. The chief is firm in his decision. Naturally he doesn't let on what the root cause of this whole issue is, because he thinks "how much more of a basic common sense issue is this, that NOBODY can think to ask permission?" So he waits, stays firm in his decision, waiting for one guy to remember they need to ask permission. And nobody does. Then somebody drops a dime to CBS News. Now inside, the chief is infuriated, but he doesn't show it. He's not going to give the dime dropper the satisfaction of knowing they "got to him."

And with that call to the media, the guys used a nail-gun to rapidly finish the coffin sealing.

From the guys perspective, they see the IAFF magazine, they see all these big city departments participating in the program, there's a lot of resentment toward the chief. But STILL, nobody thinks to ask permission.

This pink shirt episode is a perfect analogy for what goes wrong with department communications, and why issues spiral upward and become worse rather than getting to the base causes more rapidly, and getting problems solved. What happened in North Jersey; let it become a learning experience for some of the younger members here. You MUST respect the chain of command, and if you expect your chief to just go along with things, and you forget that without the nod of the chief, life on the job can become very difficult, try to remember what happened here.

I totally think these guys should be able to wear their shirts, in solidarity with the International, and all the countless departments taking place in this good cause. But guys, we have to remember our chiefs are human beings, and even the ones who exhibit very little to no ego at all can still take it personally if the members start doing things on their own, without the approval of the officer in charge.

Good lesson in here.

Spot on. We have found that since the implementation of a Labor/Management committee, things like this just don't happen. We've not had any grievances in few years. We meet quarterly, unless an issue is detected, so it's more like bi-monthly in reality. Nearly all policies get run out in these meetings, as do upcoming Union initiatives so we're all on the same page. Everyone must know the expectations of them at all times or else things derail quickly.

efdcapt115 likes this

Great post George, and it is spot on. Problem is that communications are supposed to be two-way and if the chief communicated with the subordinates or the union when he heard it was going on, none of this would have happened. If the Chief knew it was going on he bears just as much responsibility to inform them of his decisions or intentions. The local and the subordinates shouldn't have to be mind-readers.

It's the classic example of failed communications that is completely avoidable.

Good lesson in here.

Wearing a pink shirt as an outer garment instead of the blue uniform shirt is changing an entire part of the uniform.

I still don't understand how a bright pink undershirt showing under the uniformed blue/white shirt isn't good enough.

I think the money spent ordering the pink shirts should have been donated instead to the cause.

I still stand with the chief.

I donate money every month for the past few years to fight cancer.

I just spent money to help some kids fund raise for Breast Cancer.

I don't and haven't worn anything pink in support of Breast Cancer, does that make somehow less supportive of the cause?

1. Go back and read what was posted about changing the uniform. No where was the word "part" used in talking about changing an "entire" uniform. That was my point. Here's another point about changing parts of uniforms...our administration can and has granted us extensions to wear shorts past our cut off date when we've had some Octobers where it stayed hotter later then normal.

2. I understand your point....the best part is you don't have to understand ours or the hundreds of other IAFF locals who are wearing pink this month. Uniform...means uniformity and as you can see by my pic..when on duty we are all uniformed. If if you were running an operation then its your perception that a blue t shirt under a uniform shirt is good enough. But some of you aren't seeing some of the bigger picture of having all of your personnel rally around something and the morale boosting. Maybe I'm outdated with my leadership experiences and courses from the Marine Corps...but sometimes giving in to a cause that's noble and well planned, coordinated and executed by your masses and rallied around...builds you more in the bank for the days when you just can't and have to do your job be the leader and the boss. And oh...I was part of units where we got permission to wear pink shirts and other t shirts for causes and community activities when I was in the Marine Corps...who has the tightest uniform requirements and regulations even pertaining to what you can wear as a civilian. And yes pink shirts even looked good against camoflauge.

3. I don't think your crazy...people are who they are. For every one of you who don't feel compelled to support an effort...we've run into 5. We also publicized for the sale of our pink t shirts for our fundraiser that they are being sold by firefighters wearing pink uniform golf shirts. Its also about showing an investment into the community health. And again..the outcry of support for what we chose to do has been hugely popular and positive.

4. I'm glad you do. By the way...so do I....I don't lose family members to heart attacks, strokes, etc. For me its not if I will ever get cancer...its going to be when and where. And from family history...chances are it will be throat cancer. So while I do it direct now...I used to donate and collect funds when we had our local relay for life which as an association we also made specialty t-shirts for and were allowed to wear at the event as the on duty personnel would also come to.

5. No it doesn't mean your any less supportive...and that's your respective opinion. And I respect you agree with the chief. I however do not. I think its closed minded and he can now reap the benefits of having frustrated personnel with low morale. He also lost a great opportunity overall...for positive PR for his fire department. The fire service is unique in we have the ability to adapt uniforms that still fit our function. I can understand why a PBA could do something like this...we can and we did and its been nothing but a positive wonderful experience and for a great cause. And we'll be right back next october right along with hundreds of other locals who's administrations granted them their request to simply wear a pink shirt. Not a handful of personnel on their own..but a coordinated, UNIFORMED effort.

Go the IAFF website and look at the photo galleries of the proud to wear pink photos sent in. From Fairfax County, to several here in Westchester, to TX, to Indiana, to California. I think its awesome..and for those of us who got to do it think it is....and its ok...for those of you that don't.

efdcapt115 and helicopper like this

By looking at the picture that ALS posted above, I would absolutely disagree with you, but that's your opinion and your entitled to it. I think that from the perspective of someone not affiliated with the dept, i.e. the public, this is a great way to start a conversation with someone that may be walking past the firehouse, or someone you see on a call. Truely a great PR piece, as Peekskill and White Plains, along with others are showing. The article about WPFD proves it.

Pics of many other professional dept's going pink, courtesy of the IAFF website.

Wow...funny thing I noticed about those photos....they're all smiling, uniformed and rallied around one cause...when in the *f bomb do you see that in any department or union local. lol

Your post was interesting.

But to assume the chief said no because of some ego issue is a leap.

Why is it so hard to accept or understand that the chief simply thinks his firefighters should look like the professionals they are when working?

I still find the notion from some of you that the chief should bend to the desires of the union and its members bizarre.

I think the chief knows he does not want to open this can of worms.

And I'm sure it was the firefighters unions that made this public as they always run to the media when they don't get their way. I'm surprised they didn't claim that not allowing them to wear pink would jepardize lives.

Edited by ME4

And I respect you agree with the chief. I however do not. I think its closed minded and he can now reap the benefits of having frustrated personnel with low morale.

It must be me because I still find it incredible that so many of just assume that as a matter of course the chief should just go along with what ever the firefighters want to do.

In my book that would make him not the chief.

And the idea that this will cause low maorale is downright bizarre.

But that's just me.