Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Winter 2011-12 Weather Predictions

11 posts in this topic

The Weather Prodictions for the 2011-12 winter are out. I have a feeling many won't like this...

U.S. dealt another La Niña winter but ‘wild card’ could trump it

Devastating drought in Southern Plains likely to continue

October 20, 2011

The Southern Plains should prepare for continued drier and warmer than average weather, while the Pacific Northwest is likely to be colder and wetter than average from December through February, according to the annual Winter Outlook released today by NOAA.

Full Article from the National Weather Service

Highlights of the U.S. Winter Outlook (December through February) include:

•Northeast and Mid-Atlantic: equal chances for above-, near-, or below-normal temperatures and precipitation. Winter weather for these regions is often driven not by La Niña but by the Arctic Oscillation. If enough cold air and moisture are in place, areas north of the Ohio Valley and into the Northeast could see above-average snow;

NOAA Releases 2011-2012 Winter Outlook

post-17100-0-31265600-1319135834.png

post-17100-0-54178100-1319135853.png

images courtesy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

AccuWeather.com Winter 2011-2012 Forecast: Another Brutal One

By Heather Buchman, Meteorologist

Oct 13, 2011;

The AccuWeather.com Long-Range Forecasting Team is predicting another brutally cold and snowy winter for a large part of the country, thanks in large part to La Niña... yet again. La Niña, a phenomenon that occurs when sea surface temperatures across the equatorial central and eastern Pacific are below normal, is what made last year's winter so awful for the Midwest and Northeast. Monster blizzards virtually shut down the cities of New York and Chicago. Last winter was one of New York City's snowiest on record.

6213965837_904e3e0c10_z.jpg

Image Courtesy of Accuweather

Full Article: AccuWeather.com Winter 2011-2012 Forecast: Another Brutal One

It's never to early to dream white! :D Bring on the snow!!!

Edited by firedude

The Weather Prodictions for the 2011-12 winter are out. I have a feeling many won't like this...

Full Article from the National Weather Service

NOAA Releases 2011-2012 Winter Outlook

post-17100-0-31265600-1319135834.png

post-17100-0-54178100-1319135853.png

images courtesy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

6213965837_904e3e0c10_z.jpg

Image Courtesy of Accuweather

Full Article: AccuWeather.com Winter 2011-2012 Forecast: Another Brutal One

It's never to early to dream white! :D

time to move south B)

time to move south B)

The Day After Tomorrow Style!!!

My Grandmother is 91 & has been swearing by these predictions forever! I will take rain and mild weather any day!

Farmers Almanac

For the winter of 2011–12, the Farmers’ Almanac is forecasting “clime and punishment,” a season of unusually cold and stormy weather. For some parts of the country, that means a frigid climate; while for others, it will mean lots of rain and snow.

The upcoming winter looks to be cold to very cold for the Northern Plains, parts of the Northern Rockies, and the western Great Lakes. In contrast, above-normal temperatures are expected across most of the southern and eastern U.S. Near-normal temperatures are expected in the Midwest and Far West, and in southern

Florida.

A very active storm track will bring much heavier-than-normal precipitation from the Southern Plains through Tennessee into Ohio, the Great Lakes, and the Northeast. Because of above normal temperatures, much of the precipitation will likely be rain or mixed precipitation, although, during February, some potent East Coast storms could leave heavy snow, albeit of a wet and slushy consistency.

An active Pacific Storm track will guide storm systems into the Pacific Northwest, giving it a wetter-than-normal winter.

Drier-than-normal weather will occur in the Southwest and Southeast corners of the nation.

To see a more detailed long-range forecast for your area, pick up a copy of the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac today!

Based on the amount of rain we've had all sumer/fall, I think it's going to be a wet and white winter. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of storms produce the heavy/wet white stuff this year.

Let it snow early and let it snow often, I just dropped off my skis for a major tune-up and the Vermont backcountry is looking better than ever.

Highlights of the U.S. Winter Outlook (December through February) include:

•Northeast and Mid-Atlantic: equal chances for above-, near-, or below-normal temperatures and precipitation.

INCREDIBLE PREDICTION!..............:rolleyes:

I'll take some of that snow.

As far as our heat wave, I'll consider that over. When I woke up around 6 this morning, it was a bitter 38 degrees out.

Seriously, this drought is getting worse down here, and impacting just about everything now. It's already caused billions in damage. I hope these weather people are very wrong.