Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Man brings land mine to a Yonkers firehouse, prompting evacuation of area

24 posts in this topic

Wow - Although a dangerous situation, at least the members of Station 13 were able to react quickly and called in the right personnel to handle this. (Although the LoHud Article said that they moved Engine 313 and Ladder 73 out onto the street, I hope that they did not leave the 'poor Foam Unit' inside Station 13 - LOL :(

What an idiot... glad none of the Brothers from YFD were injured.

(Although the LoHud Article said that they moved Engine 313 and Ladder 73 out onto the street, I hope that they did not leave the 'poor Foam Unit' inside Station 13

Seriously dude?

Who gives a rat's a** about the firetrucks...so long as the men stayed safe!

JetPhoto, JohnnyOV and M' Ave like this

I guess ya just never know what to expect when answering the door!!

I mean wouldn't it have made more sense to, I don't know, not touch it and call 911? Who knows if it's active or not but the last thing you should do is disturb it. Let the professionals determine if it's active or not, this is what they do for a living after all. This person potentially put the lives of so many people at risk by doing this.

I mean wouldn't it have made more sense to, I don't know, not touch it and call 911? Who knows if it's active or not but the last thing you should do is disturb it. Let the professionals determine if it's active or not, this is what they do for a living after all. This person potentially put the lives of so many people at risk by doing this.

People do this stuff all the time. Often, they bring suspicious packages to a local police station.

"Here Officer, I found this weird box thingy with wires hanging out of it ticking and thought I should bring it to you..." :blink:

If it wasn't for stupid people, most of us would be without jobs.

wraftery and peterose313 like this

Wow - Although a dangerous situation, at least the members of Station 13 were able to react quickly and called in the right personnel to handle this. (Although the LoHud Article said that they moved Engine 313 and Ladder 73 out onto the street, I hope that they did not leave the 'poor Foam Unit' inside Station 13 - LOL :(

What else were they supposed to do with it?

x129K likes this

By looking at the photo-it appears to be a WWII German "S" mine, also know as a "Bouncin' Betty". A Claymore type mine, when tripped, jumps 2-3 feet up from the ground and blast a 12 foot radius with ball bearing shrapnel.

x129K likes this

I would have just handed it right back to the man and said "nope, doesn't look like a mine to me."

Just kidding, looks like a good job done by all, glad everyone went home safe.

So was it live?

People do this stuff all the time. Often, they bring suspicious packages to a local police station.

"Here Officer, I found this weird box thingy with wires hanging out of it ticking and thought I should bring it to you..." :blink:

If it wasn't for stupid people, most of us would be without jobs.

Amen for the stupid people out there!

Sometimes you go out on runs, sometimes they come to you.

x129K likes this

if he brought it to the firehouse don't bring it inside, tell him to turn around and bring it to the nearst police station...morning boys :P

x129K likes this

Ignorance is bliss. A couple of years ago a civilian showed up at fire headquarters with crystallized ether. Shows it to the guy working the desk watch who doesn't realize the danger and takes the jar from the civilian and brings it up to the on duty deputy chief. The DC looks and say "WTF!" and evacuated the house and calls the local PD who in turn calls the State Police Bomb Squad, County Haz Mat, and EMS. The Bomb Squad arrives, dress up in their suits and bring the jar back down stairs and put it in the kettle and drive a couple of blocks to a vacant area and blow up the jar. Next class held was "Dangers of Crystallized Ether". You'd be surprised how much of this stuff in found on shelves in police evidence lockers and no one has a clue how dangerous it is.

x129K likes this

YFD Station 13 new House Patch (circa WWII)

Edit: Here's the cartoon that came to mind:

Edited by efdcapt115

"The antiques shop owner said he told Reyes to carefully take the mine to the police station -- the 2nd Precinct is about two blocks away. But Reyes ended up at the firehouse about a half-mile away. " Some of you guys almost called it!

yeah thats some scary stuff. its deffinatly a bouncing betty anti personel mine, theyre not designed to kill just severely injure and slow the advance of infantry, thank god this didnt turn out in a worst case scenerio type event being the devices age it could be very unstable and could have gone off regardless if the saftey pin was in, hell he could have dropped it on accident and it could have detonated injuring or killing himself and yfd personel.

This is just another example of how dumb the general public can be. This reminds me of the "white powder letter epidemic when we were getting 30-40 calls a day for "suspicious letters with white powder in them." People would bring them into the precinct and dump the powder on the desk before the desk man could say anything. We eventually had to put a sign on the door that read " if you are here about a suspicious letter, please leave the letter outside the door and then you can come inside the door."

efdcapt115 likes this

Think about this, he drove it there in his car. We teach responders at any incident to evaluate the scene. Consider if this guy had an MVA in route to Sta 13. Now we must look for land mines in the back seat......

Think about this, he drove it there in his car. We teach responders at any incident to evaluate the scene. Consider if this guy had an MVA in route to Sta 13. Now we must look for land mines in the back seat......

You guys on the Jersey Shore have to watch for grenades in the back seat of the "situation's" car !! blink.gif

Landmine is the skinny version of a Gernade !!

peterose313 and SageVigiles like this

A few years ago, in upstate NY, a civilian found a piece of military ordinance lying along a highway. He placed it in the car trunk and drove to a nearby SP barracks. The duty trooper, looked in the trunk, evacuated the SP station, and called the nearby base for their EOD team.

efdcapt115 likes this

A few years ago, in upstate NY, a civilian found a piece of military ordinance lying along a highway. He placed it in the car trunk and drove to a nearby SP barracks. The duty trooper, looked in the trunk, evacuated the SP station, and called the nearby base for their EOD team.

Foolish people everywhere. Maybe if the civilian had seen "The Hurt Locker" he'd have thought twice about picking it up. Welcome to the Board Phil!

Crazy Stuff... Just when you think you have seen it all.

Personally, (after asking the gentleman to set it down) I would have gone back in the station and told everyone to evacuate through the back door. Starting up the rigs and even carefully driving them out the door (past the device) to safe refuge, may have been just enough vibration to piss it off being old and unstable. No Thanks. Sorry Rigs, you loose. "Everyone out the back !"

peterose313 and x129K like this