Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy98988

Yonkers Fire Department seeks more minority hires

8 posts in this topic

Lo Hud

YONKERS — The city Fire Department is targeting minorities as part of a new recruitment drive, its first such effort in three years.

Fire and city officials opened a walk-in recruitment center Wednesday at the Riverfront Library, and said they plan to send black and Hispanic officers into minority neighborhoods to encourage people to apply.

"its first such effort in three years."

Could that be because they had an active list and had no need to recruit anybody......

Amazing how the JN can make something so simple look questionable.

BFD1054 and FF398 like this

Maybe it might be time for the Yonkers members to reach out and see if the 30+ yr old Vulcan decree should be terminated! I have names and numbers if anyone might be interested in doing so!!! :rolleyes:

BFD1054 likes this

PaulMannix

6:41 PM on October 28, 2011

With all due respect, Commissioner, to say, "We really need to have a fire department that reflects the city's population" indicates your priorities are skewed. Your job should be ensuring you have the most qualified firefighters possible regardless of race or gender. Do you advocate a fire department that is approximately 50% female simply to reflect the city's population? If so you are being reckless. If females are able to qualify as firefighters by meeting objective, meaningful standards and thereby attain 50% of the firefighting positions (or even 100%), great- as long as they meet the standards.

It has been said that an organization's commitment to diversity is in inverse proportion to its commitment to safety and competence. This is not to say you cannot have both diversity and safety/competence; it is to say that the two goals cannot be #1- it's one or the other. Go with safety and competence, ensure there is equal opportunity for all- but realize that standards exist for a reason and you are literally playing with fire when the priority becomes diversity for the sake of diversity.

Paul Mannix

President

Merit Matters

www.meritmattersusa.blogspot.com

http://www.lohud.com/comments/article/20111028/NEWS02/110280325/Yonkers-Fire-Department-seeks-more-minority-hires

Mannix is a friend of mine, and I have stood by him during some of his statements regarding all this garbage of "city's obligations to reflect city's demographics". he couldnt be more right. all due respect to commissioners and their backgroungs (or lack of), they are political figures trying to ultimately do two things...avoid lawsuits and retain their positions. not often do i see or hear of them fighting for the members that work for them, preventing their layoffs, preventing the shutdown of stations etc. people should care very much about this political propaganda, as it effects them whether at work and/or in their community. sure, if they meet the standards, then all's well. but then lets face the fact that most of time they are only expected to meet the MINIMUM of standards, and you as proud cops, ffs, emt or whatever, should have a problem with city officials stepping in on our business simply to look good in liberal media headlines and to please the real whiners who want a free ride. Thats at you, vulcans! real standards are met and made on job time, just my opinion.

i often dont post on this forum, and i know most ppl dont know me here, so i apologize if i'm stepping on anyone's toes....but these sorts of issues really tick me off. enough's enough with trying to please everyone who wants something without working for it, or people who feel they deserve a better chance of success than others just cause of their sex, race, religion, ethinicity or WHATEVER! that goes for every position, in every job.

Its a race America, and we all got to run. If you stop in the middle to take a cab, you're cheating....

on that note, hope all you all enjoy the fall snowstorm.

efdcapt115, Bnechis and M' Ave like this