Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Training? NOT! What on earth were they thinking?

29 posts in this topic

I recently came across another "fine" video on another site of a training session gone bad (for lack of better terms I really want to use). Unfortunately it is of a department that is in the coverage area of this site.

Just like the title says, what were you thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

As a certified instructor you all should be givin' a swift kick on the backside, this was not funny, this could have been even potentially worse outcome. And why even post it?????

I don't care if I get reprimanded or suspended from the site for posting this. Everyone involved should be suspended by their officer / chief. Morons!!!!!

Obviously no one believes in safety anymore.

(Seth and mods, if you take this down, please me know by a PM. Thank you.)

Edited by IzzyEng4
firedude, abaduck, JM15 and 12 others like this

I saw that too and was speechless, obviously you pulled together some hidden pair of stones because this short film is going to explode on here.

It looks like a member is using their bailout system to impress their friends, all I have to say is that hopefully this member was dealt with along with any other members caught participating in this brainless antic.

Even though this only ended with a several foot fall, this member was using a piece of his own personal life-safety equipment to impress his friends, he is lucky he did not actually need it in real life.

Unfortunately all departments have members like this, but not all of them are dumb enough to do this and then post it on youtube. Where is the leadership?

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
sfrd18, CHIEFPHIL and IzzyEng4 like this

NO hidden stones SRS, I call them like I see them. Also I totally agree with what you posted as well.

I would assume this member chose to do this on his own accord and not during a department authorized or sanctioned training session.

That knucklehead should be DAMN glad that I am not his Chief.

IzzyEng4, sfrd18 and antiquefirelt like this

Well what can you say..stupid is as stupid does. Hopefully these clowns face some harsh diciplinary action and a review of safety protocols takes place at the FD. That said I have to be honest I got a good laugh out of that guy busting his a** in that short fall....:lol: :lol: :lol:

If nothing else this should serve to teach him to learn how to use his equipment before trying to use it .

Stay safe

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
texastom791 and IzzyEng4 like this

I'm pretty sure that he got what he deserved...

I find it funny that in the article surrounding his felony arson charges, people quote him as being a great firefighter, member, etc. One person even says, "He'd be the first guy to sign up for training." Clearly not bailout training...

Idiot.

I find it funny that in the article surrounding his felony arson charges, people quote him as being a great firefighter, member, etc. One person even says, "He'd be the first guy to sign up for training." Clearly not bailout training...

Idiot.

Is the member in the video the same one as accused of arson some time last year? If so, how can you tell/does one know?

IzzyEng4 likes this

Is the member in the video the same one as accused of arson some time last year? If so, how can you tell/does one know?

I'm just assuming based off of the caption on Youtube. It says the firefighter is Trent Bronner. But it is possible that it isn't...

IzzyEng4 likes this

I'm just assuming based off of the caption on Youtube. It says the firefighter is Trent Bronner. But it is possible that it isn't...

In that case I am glad I am not his Chief!

And I feel sorry for the reoccurring media storm this guy has started for the department.

efdcapt115 and IzzyEng4 like this

I recently came across another "fine" video on another site of a training session gone bad (for lack of better terms I really want to use). Unfortunately it is of a department that is in the coverage area of this site.

Just like the title says, what were you thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

As a certified instructor you all should be givin' a swift kick on the backside, this was not funny, this could have been even potentially worse outcome. And why even post it?????

I don't care if I get reprimanded or suspended from the site for posting this. Everyone involved should be suspended by their officer / chief. Morons!!!!!

Obviously no one believes in safety anymore.

(Seth and mods, if you take this down, please me know by a PM. Thank you.)

I think that's the problem....no one was thinking. Looks like something you would see on Jacka** the movie. This is also a good argument on Depts. having a policy preventing members posting or participating in anything showing or ID'ing the dept.(the name is on the vid) prior to approval.

Edited by Ga-Lin
IzzyEng4 likes this

I think that's the problem....no one was thinking. Looks like something you would see on Jacka** the movie. This is also a good argument on Depts. having a policy preventing members posting or participating in anything showing or ID'ing the dept.(the name is on the vid) prior to approval.

You can have all the policies in the world covering every scenario, you're still not going to stop someone this dumb from doing these things. NYS laws concerning arson weren't enough to slow him down, I don't think a youtube policy would be any more helpful.

IzzyEng4 likes this

It speaks volumes when this guy falls from a second story window and his friends or fellow firefighters laugh at him. Besides this bad idea of bail out training. He's lucky he didn't break something or worse!

FF398 and IzzyEng4 like this

GENIUS! That may have been one of the worst decisions I have seen someone make in quite some time.

Idiot.

If that is a person convicted of arson it has nothing to do with what is being viewed here. And if you listen to the audio you can clearly hear people shouting to him where to place the device and what to do. This video is old by the way..it wasn't as if it was taken yesterday. So who is actually the idiots here? A newer member who is manipulated into doing something they have no idea what they are doing? Or the ones who facilitated an unsafe act for nothing other then what can be considered hazing in a form?

I love how so many of you have harsh comments..but yet I could come watch your dept. training and find things that I find unsafe, backwards etc..and that's in formal training.

This one just happens to be an impromptu event with a gang of young people..I will not use the term firefighter..egging on a member to do something extremely egregious. And make no mistake...for the time this was seen by some around the area..long before it hit you tube...the ones on the ground should be suspended or IMHO I would have booted them.

x129K, SageVigiles and peterose313 like this

ALS, it's embarrassing to suggest there is an excuse for something like this, whether they are egging him on or hazing, as you suggest. If you're not mature enough to know it's reckless, then you don't deserve to be a firefighter. If you do something stupid like this and then post it on YouTube to put you and your entire dept. in a bad light, then you also don't deserve to be a member of that fire department. I agree with you that the people on the ground should be disciplined, but to remove responsibility from the firefighter who fell out of the window onto others is just plain wrong. He's a firefighter, and he should be treated like any other adult would be. It's that simple.

helicopper likes this

The video may be old, I don't know, but it was just posted September 11, 2011. It is kind of odd that one of the videos suggested for viewing after watching this one is of that same departments chiefs showing a bailout simulator that they built for training on this very technique.

If that is a person convicted of arson it has nothing to do with what is being viewed here. And if you listen to the audio you can clearly hear people shouting to him where to place the device and what to do. This video is old by the way..it wasn't as if it was taken yesterday. So who is actually the idiots here? A newer member who is manipulated into doing something they have no idea what they are doing? Or the ones who facilitated an unsafe act for nothing other then what can be considered hazing in a form?

I love how so many of you have harsh comments..but yet I could come watch your dept. training and find things that I find unsafe, backwards etc..and that's in formal training.

This one just happens to be an impromptu event with a gang of young people..I will not use the term firefighter..egging on a member to do something extremely egregious. And make no mistake...for the time this was seen by some around the area..long before it hit you tube...the ones on the ground should be suspended or IMHO I would have booted them.

I am aware that the video is no brand new, I have seen i several times in the past. It could not possible be new since, it seems that the member featured, has not been a member for some time. I would hope that he would not have no idea of how to use the bailout system considering that it appears he had one with his gear. I would assume he was cleared to have this before putting it on his gear.

I imagine that any department (paid or vol.) has its errors during training, in an unsafe manor, or backwards. No department does everything perfectly. This video is not a training video...its a joke, or stunt, or dare, etc.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

Who cares if its new or if its been out there for months?!?!?!? Once again, a "firefighter" shot all of us in the foot doing something idiotic and stupid. That is the point.

And we all wonder why the media and public begin to hate us half the time.

ALS, it's embarrassing to suggest there is an excuse for something like this, whether they are egging him on or hazing, as you suggest. If you're not mature enough to know it's reckless, then you don't deserve to be a firefighter. If you do something stupid like this and then post it on YouTube to put you and your entire dept. in a bad light, then you also don't deserve to be a member of that fire department. I agree with you that the people on the ground should be disciplined, but to remove responsibility from the firefighter who fell out of the window onto others is just plain wrong. He's a firefighter, and he should be treated like any other adult would be. It's that simple.

What is also embarrassing is someone commenting when apparently they didn't read my post, aren't familiar with any number of my posts, self interpreted my post and either doesn't know my background based on prior posts comments or word of mouth. If you'd like to know by all means go back and read some there are 3800+ so there's plenty to see that I'm not part of the kinder, gentler fire, eat cake and wear blinders fire service. Quote one sentence in my post where I hinted at one excuse at what happened. By all means please do. And then once you continue to try to slant something to fit your mindset...I want you to then find one where I took the auspice off the person (again, didn't say firefighter). Someone called that individual an idiot. Anyone with experience, particularly supervisory experience in the fire service can watch that video objectively and look at the situation and break down the other actions going on around. You can even see the body language of the person who fell that he wanted to pop right up and not take any verbal abuse from the crowd to maintain whatever standing he did. Mob mentality...read about it.

The bottom line is this....how do you know he is a firefighter when the video was taken? I mean hell..my son wore turnout gear for halloween in 2010...does that make him a firefighter? He could have just been voted in that month got a physical and was handed gear. The responsibility on him is very minimal if from what I remember about discussions about it that he was very new when this was made. So your argument that he is a "firefighter" is weak. For all we know he wasn't even issued a bailout system at that point, was given one to "try" or wasn't properly trained on it. And whether you want to think so or not, I know many young people that aren't all that mature when it comes to wanting to fit in with a crowd..particularly one you find to be the "cool" click in the firehouse. The desire to fit in for some can be immense and the majority of the responsibility falls on the members on the ground, especially the ones who have been around long enough to know and if there is an officer on that ground. Then they are done. The most that new member would have gotten from me was a verbal. Call me crazy but I've been around enough firehouses as a member of several different departments in my life to see how things roll.

Izzy....as a firefighter..and your brother...didn't shoot me in the foot...those are the best videos when you can actually see a name in it. For everyone of those idiots..there are those that strive to do things that right way...by the accepted practice way....not the "we do it different here" way...or the "that's the state way" bailout for those inexperienced talkers who talk game..but have no game.

Edited by alsfirefighter

I am aware that the video is no brand new, I have seen i several times in the past. It could not possible be new since, it seems that the member featured, has not been a member for some time. I would hope that he would not have no idea of how to use the bailout system considering that it appears he had one with his gear. I would assume he was cleared to have this before putting it on his gear.

I imagine that any department (paid or vol.) has its errors during training, in an unsafe manor, or backwards. No department does everything perfectly. This video is not a training video...its a joke, or stunt, or dare, etc.

As I said..he had one on..was it issued to him or handed to him 5 minutes before...we don't know.

And you are right errors are made in training and that is my point...and no its not a training video...this was impromptu...but my rule is simple..worry about home base, before you ridicule an individual when I know departments that are out there doing things just as egregious or instructing things in drills that are just as egregious as that act.

IzzyEng4 likes this

if it wasnt for stupid people our departments would run without problems. what the heck where the morons thinking?? i really hope they got into alot of trouble for that stupid stunt they pulled. and for the guy taking the video bragging because he got it on video is nothing to be proud about. he should be happy his friend didnt get hurt badly.

IzzyEng4 likes this

Your posts made me think I was wrong to say what I did. Looking back at it, I viewed this video with the thought this same guy was also an accused arsonist. It was in that mindset that I threw barbs at him. I didn't listen to the audio. Others do bear some responsibility for this kid's actions. If I had a do-over, I wouldn't have posted what I did.

IzzyEng4 likes this

Your posts made me think I was wrong to say what I did. Looking back at it, I viewed this video with the thought this same guy was also an accused arsonist. It was in that mindset that I threw barbs at him. I didn't listen to the audio. Others do bear some responsibility for this kid's actions. If I had a do-over, I wouldn't have posted what I did.

I wasn't faulting you brother. You always have good posts. I was just pointing out in general that convicted arsonist...I believe he was convicted so he's not an "accused" arsonist if he was..he is an arsonist...that the egg came before the chicken. I was more and I laugh that my crickets post was deleted...that is one sentence that could and at least did with you...spark some more conversation on this topic. Even if it was directed as someone who called me out but couldn't answer to my direct response to his off kilter post.

I'm actually honored I said something that made another active participant on the site think about something. You guys often do with me as well.

MoFire390, efdcapt115 and IzzyEng4 like this

Izzy....as a firefighter..and your brother...didn't shoot me in the foot...those are the best videos when you can actually see a name in it. For everyone of those idiots..there are those that strive to do things that right way...by the accepted practice way....not the "we do it different here" way...or the "that's the state way" bailout for those inexperienced talkers who talk game..but have no game.

Brother ALS, both you and I have respectfully agreed and disagreed with different viewpoints at various times. This one I think though we've look at different sides, we are pretty much again both on the same set of tracks. With my comment of "shooting ourselves in the foot" its the age old stupidity of posting something like this video when it shouldn't have been, regardless who is involved in it. But at the same time, it does prove why certain people should not be firefighters (or involved in any sort of emergency services) at all. Granted I am not free from error and have done a couple dumb things in the past (who hasn't), I would never have jeopardized my life or anyone else's with some stunt like this, an neither would a great majority of us here. Though it may not have shot you in the foot, my point with the comment was geared to those who are always wondering and commenting "why do the public and media hate us" all the time. This is exactly why, now its on FFCC and Statter with "good" (sarcasm) publicity.

But also it is a good view of what not to do as well, that I agree with 100% and will not defer from that. A part of me wishes that if the guy doing the bailout did get seriously hurt (please do not take it that I am actually wishing harm on someone, just going to make a point), then maybe, just maybe the light bulb would have gone on with the bystanders. And that is what upset me even more, they stood there and watched, no one stepped in and tried to stop the unsafe act. I take great pride as should everyone with my current job and my previous volunteerism as a firefighter, and also the training that I've received and taught. I just hope people start "getting it" sooner than later, but I know that is not the case most of the time these days.

If you ever need a good back-up guy on the knob, you'll know I'll be there!

Edited by IzzyEng4
efdcapt115 likes this