Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

Yonkers PD ESU Large Truck

21 posts in this topic

Is this rig to be on the street all the time like NYPD ESU trucks or only roll as necessary.

sfrd18 and x129K like this

I believe some info on this rig was on here a while back. I think it was visible in a set of spy shots for another rig, and it was briefly mentioned, but again, that was a while back.

Is this rig to be on the street all the time like NYPD ESU trucks or only roll as necessary.

I'd imagine only when necessary, judging by the size of it. It most likely carries all of YPD ESU's special rescue equipment. I know that they do have a few smaller ESU trucks much like the NYPD's, so I'd assume they would be on the street all the time, and this rig only on special and/or large-scale incidents, perhaps sort of like Yonkers FD's Special Ops. Tractor-Trailer.

So they now have 2 of these rigs?

I believe it's the same truck, just pre-decaling and albiet the final touches in the top link photo.

Edited by sfrd18
firedude likes this

I'd imagine only when necessary, judging by the size of it. It most likely carries all of YPD ESU's special rescue equipment. I know that they do have a few smaller ESU trucks much like the NYPD's, so I'd assume they would be on the street....

Yes YPD ESU has Adam units like NYPD but the NYPD units I'm referring to are the 11 or so Mack MR ESU rigs with heavy squad bodies that are on the street quite regularly.

Edited by mfc2257

I believe some info on this rig was on here a while back. I think it was visible in a set of spy shots for another rig, and it was briefly mentioned, but again, that was a while back.

I'd imagine only when necessary, judging by the size of it. It most likely carries all of YPD ESU's special rescue equipment. I know that they do have a few smaller ESU trucks much like the NYPD's, so I'd assume they would be on the street all the time, and this rig only on special and/or large-scale incidents, perhaps sort of like Yonkers FD's Special Ops. Tractor-Trailer.

I believe it's the same truck, just pre-decaling and albiet the final touches in the top link photo.

Actually A Firefighter from Yonkers said he see the large one regularly at pin jobs.

Our large ESU rig mainly comes out when called however it is on the road quite frequently for special assignments.

ESU does operate multiple smaller ESU rigs that are on the road all the time and not only respond to truck jobs but they back us up on patrol jobs where there is the mention of a weapon, large fights etc ....

There is only one of these large rigs in yonkers.

I got a tour of the large rig when I was out at the ESU garage one day and it is impressive to say the least. Seeing pictures just doesn't do it justice. The amount of equipment is incredible and the crew cab is spacious and comfortable.

It's a good feeling to be at a job that is going south quickly and you see and hear that rig roaring toward you... at that point you know you have the upper hand.

Yes YPD ESU has Adam units like NYPD but the NYPD units I'm referring to are the 11 or so Mack MR ESU rigs with heavy squad bodies that are on the street quite regularly.

This Yonkers rig probably serve the same purpose as the large Mack ESU Trucks. However, it's most likely not on the road as much as these rigs because there's only one in Yonkers. Thus, as crime cop mentioned, it's on the road for special assignments.

I do have a question though, does Yonkers have a SWAT Team per se, and if they do, would they utilize this rig?

I do have a question though, does Yonkers have a SWAT Team per se, and if they do, would they utilize this rig?

Yonkers ESU is the same as NYPD ESU. They do rescue work and tactical operations.

Question?? Who does vehicle X the Yonkers PD or Yonkers FD??

Question?? Who does vehicle X the Yonkers PD or Yonkers FD??

BOTH and yes thats a 4 Letter word.... :D

sfrd18 likes this

Does the "ESU-850" have any special significance? I know back when NYC*EMS dedicated the large state of the art Field Comm that is now part of NYC OEM it was numbered "266" in memory of Lt Kirby McElhearn.

I believe that the Yonkers Police Department has its Emergency Service Units use the 800 Series numbers to identify its units (thus the reason why the 850 number was used for this unit). Other YPD numbering sequence represents the Precinct that the unit is out of (ie: 100 Series from the 1st Precinct, 200 Serise from the 2nd Precinct, etc, etc, etc)

Does the "ESU-850" have any special significance? I know back when NYC*EMS dedicated the large state of the art Field Comm that is now part of NYC OEM it was numbered "266" in memory of Lt Kirby McElhearn.

I believe that the Yonkers Police Department has its Emergency Service Units use the 800 Series numbers to identify its units (thus the reason why the 850 number was used for this unit). Other YPD numbering sequence represents the Precinct that the unit is out of (ie: 100 Series from the 1st Precinct, 200 Serise from the 2nd Precinct, etc, etc, etc)

Special Ops was 800 series. It includes traffic, ESU, and K-9.

Or so says a retired buddy of mine that worked traffic.

Yonkers ESU is the same as NYPD ESU. They do rescue work and tactical operations.

10-4.

The Ford ESU Units park on the Street , and This , The SWAT Trcuk & The MCC park inside the Garage

The Ford ESU Units park on the Street , and This , The SWAT Trcuk & The MCC park inside the Garage

On the street refers to continuous patrol, not where they park when not in use