Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

Brooklyn 2nd Alarm 2-2-920

16 posts in this topic

Incident Alert

Now that its in the news...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/firefighter-covered-flames-rescued-burning-brooklyn-brownstone-injured-article-1.993862

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/firefighter-seriously-burned-in-house-fire-in-brooklyn/?ref=nyregion

The firefighter was transported in critical condition to Cornell with burns between 40% and 60%. The Times said 40% I was told the original report was 60%. The firefighter was conscious and alert but has a long fight ahead. None of his injuries are immediately life threatening.

They were on the 3rd floor when the room flashed and the firefighter was engulfed. He somehow made his way to the window and was able to get get himself out with some help. Look for a video to hit the internet soon.

Edited by ny10570
sfrd18 likes this

Prayers for a speedy recovery to the injured member

BFD1054 likes this

I was absolutely speechless when I first saw that! Here's heavy fire venting, then a firefighters emerges from the flames.

Hope they're doing okay. What an awful thing to go through with Christmas around the corner.

Edited by sfrd18
SageVigiles likes this

Terrible sight to see. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. God bless.

Wow. What a dramatic event. Hopefully the firefighter recovers as quickly and painlessly as possible.

And I hope lessons are learned from this video, like how to pay attention in bail out class.

Was this firefighter a truckee or engine man? Either way, my thoughts and prayers go out to him....but what happened? It seems a bit weird because the video shows him bailing and then an ensuing knock down. I'm just trying to put the chain of events together.

Was this firefighter a truckee or engine man? Either way, my thoughts and prayers go out to him....but what happened? It seems a bit weird because the video shows him bailing and then an ensuing knock down. I'm just trying to put the chain of events together.

Rescue 2

There will eventually be a very detailed timeline and report produced by FDNY. You can also look to WNYF to do a story on the job.

Listened to the audio, saw the video. R-2 member/s searched the top floor, the fire was reported to be on that level initially with additional information of a person possibly trapped on that level. R-2 was assigned on the initial box.

Obviously, R-2 along with possibly a truck company/s were searching the top floor and this particular room that flashed over when the injured member was in it, leading him to bail out the window. Apparently shortly thereafter a line was stretched, opened up on the fire in that same room. It appeared the water might have actually hit the member who was heartbreaking-ly involved with fire, and knocked down the embers on his gear. Along with a member who went up the aerial and stomped the burning gear of his Brother with a gloved hand.

Truly gut-wrenching event, tragic and difficult to watch or listen to.

God help this Brother during his fight to recover from some horrific burn injuries.

Get well Brothers...

Brooklyn 102, true professional. Great work

I hope the firefighter is doing well. What is remarkable to me is how calm and professional the fire alarm dispatcher is, these guys seem really good at their job.

Edited by Goose
efdcapt115 and x129K like this

Keeping the injured brother in mind this Christmas Day. Get well soon.

http://www.fdnyrescue2.org/home.php

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - ROB HAD SURGERY THIS WEEK TO COMPLETE THE GRAFTING PROCESS ON HIS LOWER BACK AND THE BACK OF HIS RIGHT LEG. THE SURGERY WENT WELL . HE WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE DAILY CLEANINGS AND WOUND CARE PLUS PHYSICAL THERAPY . HE CONTINUES TO IMPROVE GAINING STRENGTH FOR HIS NEXT PROCEDURE. . ROB IS SCHELDUED FOR SURGERY ON BOTH HIS HANDS NEXT WEEK. FIREFIGHTER WIEDMANN HAS BEEN IN THE CORNELL BURN UNIT SINCE DECEMBER 19TH 2011. PLEASE KEEP ROB AND HIS FAMILY IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 9, 2012 - THE COMPANY IS HAPPY TO REPORT THAT FIREFIGHTER JAMES GERSBECK HAS RETURNED TO FULL DUTY THIS WEEK . WELCOME BACK JIM TO R-2 .

sueg, JM15 and M' Ave like this