Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Glow in the dark irons?

15 posts in this topic

I think Homer Simpson has something like that!!! lol :lol:

post-6971-0-65547700-1324584252.jpg

Not a bad idea, but IMHO, adding reflective or better yet, glow-in-the-dark tape to the tool would be just as effective. Plus in my experience playing with glow-in-the-dark footballs, frisbees, etc they need to be in light to "recharge." This is not going to happen tucked away in a compartment.

x129K likes this

These products are good for visibility, but they need to charge with light for I believe 5 minutes so keep the compartment lights on while responding

These products are good for visibility, but they need to charge with light for I believe 5 minutes so keep the compartment lights on while responding

Do the compartment lights stay on with the doors closed? I picture the probie checking it just like the little kid checking if the light stays on when you close the refridgerator door. :P

JM15, x129K, bigrig77 and 1 other like this

Do the compartment lights stay on with the doors closed? I picture the probie checking it just like the little kid checking if the light stays on when you close the refridgerator door. :P

I was thinking the exact smae thing....

I wonder how they work in thick heavy smoke?

Same as regular Iorns, the smart ff takes the axe and strikes the halligan, while the brave ff holds it. :D

Note: if they know what they are doing, the head of the fork has been squared off, the the smart ff, just slide the axe down the shaft to strike the head.

sfrd18, KFIYL2000, JohnnyOV and 1 other like this

Note: if they know what they are doing, the head of the fork has been squared off, the the smart ff, just slide the axe down the shaft to strike the head.

Pretty hard to do with all that tape on the shaft.

Personally I'm out on the tape on the irons. Great on the hook though.

I like the idea. Especially when you are cleaning up the fireround.

Maybe just reflective tape (the heavy duty scotchlike type) would do the job.

well if your checking your rig then the tools should be exposed to some light when you take them out. Also a lot of tools are kept in the cab so you get some light in there. I would think that if you take the tools and have them out, even at night, the lights from rigs, street lights, etc. should do the trick. I am sure some reflective tape will work but the paint will work for other things. Could paint the ends of ladders or places where tape will not work. Have heard of the Firefox brand. Not sure who needs a glow in the dark crowbar, but it's a good start. I am sure this will be a norm soon enough. Maybe not whole tools glowing but even having the adz end glow at least give some what of a visual mark to hit.

I have seen it done a few ways. A department I know bought a bunch of this stuff after FDIC to try out. One set of Irons were done completley in the paint another set with the tape. The set that was painted had some problems, mainley the paint has some type of material to make it grip effective. It is almost like ground up stone. So if you grap it with out gloves,not so good. The other set works much better. All of our hand tools have the 1 inch grip tabe that create a rib and 3 inch grip tape that covers it, creating a grip surface. They then put the glow in the dark tape at the top and bottom of the grip surface.Same with the axe,just remember not to go to high up the handle otherwise you lose the ability to allow the tool to slide in your hand. That was another problem with the paint. The tape is great for marking your tools. Otherwise it is just like those orange door tags for searching.

These would be useful for forcible entry in the dark/smoke.