Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Sorry, You're Going To Love This Story

27 posts in this topic

911 Tells Mom 'Do What You Have To Do': Oklahoma Mom Sarah McKinley Kills Intruder Justin Martin
with a 12 gauge shotgun.
....When McKinley heard the men trying to break in, she called 911.

She also holed up in her bedroom with a 12-gauge shotgun and a pistol, while she put a bottle in her three-month-old son's mouth.

"I've got two guns in my hand -- Is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" McKinley asked the 911 operator.

"I can't tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told McKinley when she asked a second time. The call went on for 21 minutes as the men powered their way into McKinley's house.

Eventually, Martin kicked in the door and charged at her with a knife, but McKinley fired before he could injure her.

Police found Martin slumped over a couch that McKinley had used to barricade the door and pronounced him dead on the scene, TV station News 9 reports. They said McKinley's use of force was justified.

And the poor girl's husband had just passed away on Christmas Day!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/04/mom-kills-intruder_n_1183336.html?ref=mostpopular

INIT915, FDNY 10-75, sfrd18 and 4 others like this

Do what you have to do to protect the kids. I would have done the same thing. God I love this country!

Your home is your castle. Great shooting.

Not in NY it's not....

Either way, she did the right thing. Justice was served swiftly in OK this week.

Not in NY it's not....

Either way, she did the right thing. Justice was served swiftly in OK this week.

Are you saying what this woman did would not be permissible in New York? What are the laws on New York that govern this?

Good for her, but where was that big German Shepherd while this was going on.

Good for her, but where was that big German Shepherd while this was going on.

Dead under mysterious circumstances only shortly before the shooting.

A 21 minute 911 call with no police response - that had to be terrifying.

How did the dog die shortly before the incident if he is in the video taken after the incident?

And a 21 minute response time is not unusual in many parts of the country. Even in many parts of New York where often only one Trooper or one Sheriffs Deputy cover an entire county.

x129K likes this

Are you saying what this woman did would not be permissible in New York? What are the laws on New York that govern this?

Article 35? Defense of justification? She would have a duty to retreat unless she was in her own dwelling (check) and wasn't the initial aggressor (and check). Looks like on the surface, a clean shoot. Thankfully the only (human) party harmed was the bad guy.

Edit: I missed the part about the dog.

Edited by islander

How did the dog die shortly before the incident if he is in the video taken after the incident?

And a 21 minute response time is not unusual in many parts of the country. Even in many parts of New York where often only one Trooper or one Sheriffs Deputy cover an entire county.

http://www.kfor.com/news/kfor-blanchard-woman-shoots-and-kills-intruder-20120101,0,2752550.story

I didn't actually watch the video - I was going by the above article which stated: "She says two of her dogs turned up dead recently and a couple other suspicious things have happened around her home."

My intention was not to disparage the response in any way but to empathize with a woman experiencing a terrifying ordeal.

Was this a case of predators who read the obituary or otherwise learned of the death who saw an easy victim?

I hope the other perp gets convicted of this guy's murder.

Article 35? Defense of justification? She would have a duty to retreat unless she was in her own dwelling (check) and wasn't the initial aggressor (and check). Looks like on the surface, a clean shoot. Thankfully the only (human) party harmed was the bad guy.

Yes, thanks. I'm well aware of the statute.

I was more looking to learn why the poster, JohnnyOV, suggested this wasn't a lawful action in New York when he said "Not in NY it's not.... "

I was under the impression that even in your own home, you need to make every attempt to flee and escape the aggressor before using lethal force against them. Under what I have heard in the past, and it's simply by word of mouth, or post on here, standing in the hallway waiting for the door to open, then shooting an intruder with a shotgun will end up with you not having a justified shoot.

Just looked up the law, and I'm completely wrong. Thanks for clarifying this for me guys. Penal Law is Article 35 § 35.15 2 (a)(i)

2. A person may not use deadly physical force upon another personunder circumstances specified in subdivision one unless: (a) He reasonably believes that such other person is using or about touse deadly physical force. Even in such case, however, the actor may notuse deadly physical force if he knows that he can with complete safetyas to himself and others avoid the necessity of so doing by retreating;except that he is under no duty to retreat if he is: (i) in his dwelling and not the initial aggressor;

actually, in CT I believe you are supposed to flee also which I personally think is ridiculous, why should you have to flee your own home. as for the dogs, it wouldnt surprise me to find out later that this poor girl was a target all along and that these guys were casing her to do God knows what. I for one am glad she took the guy out. Not only did she protect herself and her child but she saved the taxpayers a boatload of money.

Do what you have to do to protect the kids. I would have done the same thing. God I love this country!

Maybe "God Love the State of _____." Not all State's have the "Castle Doctrine" and while this case seems fairly cut and dry, I'd not be surprised if the woman faced charges in many places in this country. Sad but true...

While I mean no offense to our brothers and sisters in Law Enforcement, as the saying goes: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"

Edited by antiquefirelt

actually, in CT I believe you are supposed to flee also which I personally think is ridiculous, why should you have to flee your own home. as for the dogs, it wouldnt surprise me to find out later that this poor girl was a target all along and that these guys were casing her to do God knows what. I for one am glad she took the guy out. Not only did she protect herself and her child but she saved the taxpayers a boatload of money.

The recommend that in CT, but as long as force is justified you will not be penalized. Also in CT you can have any gun on your property, this may have changed recently though. I have to check if the handgun portion was removed and only can own rifles. Not sure if the handgun license if for concealed carry off your property.

Edited by IzzyEng4

well that's good to know joe. I was talking to a friend and they told me you were supposed to get yourself out of there. then someone else told me you're allowed to use equal force. It would be good to know that if someone busted in and you even thought they had a weapon or were a threat you could take them out. didn't we have a case here a few years back where they picked up the homeowner but the charges got dropped later down the road? I'm not sure but I think there was

While I mean no offense to our brothers and sisters in Law Enforcement, as the saying goes: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"

Right, because fire and EMS always arrive in time before it's too late!

Right, because fire and EMS always arrive in time before it's too late!

No, it's basically a Second Amendment Rights saying that comes up every time a citizen defends themself. None of us(fire/EMS/PD) can be everywhere at once, thus preventative measures are the best defense against whatever you may face. I believe it could apply to Fire/EMS as well.

My thought that everyone is better off depending on themselves for the immediate safety of themselves and family. Hence, own a gun, live in a sprinklered house and know basic first aid and CPR. ;)

Edited by antiquefirelt
SRS131EMTFF, Bnechis and x129K like this

Nice to read that for once a perp got what was coming to him....great job!!!

Let's see how long it takes the a-hole's family to sue the poor girl for killing their "kind and gentle little boy". Uh-huh. Also only in America.

Good for her in defending herself.

Nice work. I too never understood the fleeing your own home part. Glad to see the lady stood her ground and protected her child the best she could.

Similar situation in a rural area of North Carolina this week. Listen to the audio. Calm,cool and polite all at the same time. Someone taught this young man two things.

1.How to use a gun

2.Manners

Another win for the good guys.

My link