Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Fairview -Fatal 2nd alarm 1/21/12

24 posts in this topic

Prayers going out to the family & friends affected as well as all emergency responders on the scene.

Fire chief Maeder said firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 1:36 a.m. and found a “well-involved structure fire” of a wood frame building.

MEDICAL EXAMINER CONFIRMS 1 DEATH IN FAIRVIEW FIRE - Marist students rented home

Marist College press release

Incident Alert

Press Conference Video: http://bcove.me/523yhvcm

Edited by xfirefighter484x
sfrd18 and TAPSJ like this

Terrible..thoughts and prayers go to all involved

Thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, and first responders.

Town police confirmed three are dead after an early morning house fire at 112 Fairview Avenue in the Town of Poughkeepsie. At a press conference today, police said the fire claimed the lives of two females, both Marist students, and one male, who did not attend the Poughkeepsie college. They did not release identifications, stating that they are still notifying families of the deceased.

http://www.poughkeep...psieJournal.com

JetPhoto and TAPSJ like this

After calling 911, she said her boyfriend and their two friends assisted the female and male with breaking down a side door to help people they believed to be trapped inside. However, there was a burst of flames in the rear side of the home and they had to move away.

I wonder if those "good samaritans" who broke down a door helped seal the fate. Immediately after breaking down a door, there was a "burst of flames in the rear side of the home and they had to move away"... Hmmmmmm... Sounds like an introduction of fresh air....

Without the proper training and equipment, its just asinie. We all know what improperly timed ventilation does...

That's why these things should be left to the professionals... Remember the other year when a "good samaritan" broke out all the windows to a house where a woman was trapped (East Dorsey Ln in Fairview) and she died?? Sound familiar???

No good deed goes unpunished....

bad box likes this

I wonder if those "good samaritans" who broke down a door helped seal the fate. Immediately after breaking down a door, there was a "burst of flames in the rear side of the home and they had to move away"... Hmmmmmm... Sounds like an introduction of fresh air....

Without the proper training and equipment, its just asinie. We all know what improperly timed ventilation does...

That's why these things should be left to the professionals... Remember the other year when a "good samaritan" broke out all the windows to a house where a woman was trapped (East Dorsey Ln in Fairview) and she died?? Sound familiar???

That certainly may be the case. But I personally won't vilify these bystanders for doing what they thought was right. They followed their instincts and a certain degree of human nature and attempted to help those in need, when no others could. I'm willing to bet that good Samaritans, over time, have done far, far more good than harm.

That certainly may be the case. But I personally won't vilify these bystanders for doing what they thought was right. They followed their instincts and a certain degree of human nature and attempted to help those in need, when no others could. I'm willing to bet that good Samaritans, over time, have done far, far more good than harm.

Agreed INIT. I am not trying to crucify these people, but lets be honest, as I said before, do you think John Q Public would run into an active hostage situation or an armed bank robbery and try and help out? Chances are not. People don't view fire the same way.

Ignorance/lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing, just as fire is.

People who THINK they have knowledge is probably even more dangerous.

bad box likes this

It is a tragic situation agreed there is a slight chance that what the public dose seals the fate of the fires we are trained to combat. I believe instead of faulting the public for not knowing we as firefighters need to educate and get it out there to leave things to the trained people. Personally besides the public lots of times I believe law enforcement needs the education also so the instinct to help dose not hinder the job that needs to be done. But no matter what I do not believe faulting them is not the answer educating them is what needs to be done.

Edited by Atv300
bad box likes this

Who's fault is that? We continue to place people on pedestals in the media for doing what they did. Off duty firefighters, cops, anyone willing to charge into a burning structure gets the hero treatment.

BigBuff and xfirefighter484x like this

Who's fault is that? We continue to place people on pedestals in the media for doing what they did. Off duty firefighters, cops, anyone willing to charge into a burning structure gets the hero treatment.

100% agree-This thread is only bringing up the fatal remarks- lets bring up the "real hero" remarks now. Where the person's actions were successful- or helped out the people in escaping, I know there ARE some out there.

Texas Dad Saves Family In a Fire

Yes, he may have gotten severe burns, but he was successful on his goal, at that very moment.

I know there was another one a few weeks ago in Port Chester (?) where a mailman rushed in to save 2 elderly in a burning house, which I thought was amazing due to the fact he barely spoke english, and knew exactly what to do in the limited time he had.

Edited by BigBuff
TAPSJ likes this

I can personally attest to the efforts from first arriving units. There was an initial attempt at an interior attack, forced out due to heavy involvement.

My thoughts are will ALL involved in this, the PD, FD, EMS, dispatchers, and all other agencies and persons that were assisting.

Very tough case overall.

JetPhoto likes this

I don't think you can equate coming upon a hostage or robbery situation with coming upon a fire. I think the immediacy of action is on very different levels.

Maybe the well intended actions of passersby good samaritans had unintended consequences, maybe not. Maybe the outcome was already realized before they took action.

In the wake of the tragedy I find it comforting to know that there are still people who will intervene at great personal risk to help others.

Remember the video not too long ago of the passersby who banded together to lift the burning vehicle off the person. Had they waited for the FD the outcome would not have been the favorable one it turned out to be.

Condolences to the family and friends of the victims and kudos to the firefighters and civilians who tried so hard to effect a different outcome.

helicopper likes this

Agreed INIT. I am not trying to crucify these people, but lets be honest, as I said before, do you think John Q Public would run into an active hostage situation or an armed bank robbery and try and help out? Chances are not. People don't view fire the same way.

Ignorance/lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing, just as fire is.

People who THINK they have knowledge is probably even more dangerous.

People are injured/killed intervening in law enforcement incidents all the time. However, and these are just a couple of examples, good samaritans saved countless lives when they retook control of Flight 93 on 9/11 and train riders subdued Colin Ferguson during his shooting rampage on the LIRR so there are examples.

These humans were trying to save other humans trapped in a burning building. They were not professionals nor were they probably aware of the hazards associated with their actions but they did try to do something when others routinely stand idly by. I won't be so quick to condemn them.

These humans were trying to save other humans trapped in a burning building. They were not professionals nor were they probably aware of the hazards associated with their actions but they did try to do something when others routinely stand idly by. I won't be so quick to condemn them.

We in the fire service can’t even agree on ventilation techniques. Heck I posted a link to some training that is blasphemy to some. So I don't know how if we can't agree we could condemn citizens trying to do the right thing. We will really be in trouble someday if people don't want to help others.

Oh yeah the UL study also showed overwhelming evidence that occupants survivability was vastly improved when the interior door to their room was closed. Close the doors to your kids rooms at night.

RIP to the young lives that were lost!!! The Marist family has a tragedy to deal with now!!! The Fire, Police, And EMS did the best that they could. Everything happens for a reason!!! Let's pray for the ones that have died, the families involved, and the service people that were on scene!!! Remembering the ones that died should be all that matters!!!

Thomas

JetPhoto and 64FFMJK like this

If you're going to ascribe these deaths to some greater purpose, then why not a discussion about ventilation? It does nothing to belittle their lives and will maybe, just maybe save a life down the road. Sadly we learn from tragedy. Changes in building codes come from massive and tragic civilian loss. Changes within the fire service are similarly motivated by death, and occasionally just serious debilitating injury. Without investigation and the resulting evolution and education many thousands of people would have died without meaning and for no purpose.

xfirefighter484x likes this

Are the facts know on if braking down the door had anything to do with the loss of life or are we just making a 1000 replys posts on the subject.

Did the house have working smoke detectors? Was it up to standards? A few years ago my son and his room mates were looking for off campus housing at Marist. I took one look at the structure and found it a death trap in waiting. Needless to say they did not move in. Get the facts let's not Monday morning quarterback. A sad day for Marist and the brothers at FFD.

peterose313, effd3918, TAPSJ and 1 other like this

Did the house have working smoke detectors? Was it up to standards? A few years ago my son and his room mates were looking for off campus housing at Marist. I took one look at the structure and found it a death trap in waiting. Needless to say they did not move in. Get the facts let's not Monday morning quarterback. A sad day for Marist and the brothers at FFD.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20120122/NEWS01/301220031/FAIRVIEW-FIRE-VICTIMS-IDENTITIES-COME-LIGHT-SEE-NEW-VIDEO?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|PoughkeepsieJournal.com

Maeder said a preliminary investigation by the Dutchess County Cause and Origin Team had determined the fire probably started in the rear of the first floor, but the cause was still under investigation.

The chief said he could hear loud sounds coming from smoke alarms in the house when he arrived.

I understand your point to a degree...but at some point those doors were going to be opened upon arrival as well. Couple the video in the media that the fire had a very good advancement and the statements by those who got out with the "burst of flames" with the side door and "the door was hot" when they woke up, that fire was already hot and just waiting for the right little burst of additional air to flash...from the beginning is sounds like the interior stairs were not an option of egress for the occupants.

While some might not run into a hostage situation vs. running into a fire...different psyche's involved different circumstances. One is involves another human bent on violence..the other is an inanimate object that while a threat..is not quite as direct as a gun or other forms of violence.

It definitely sucks even more when it sounds like all the right detection and alarm systems were in place and people still perish. Great effort and job by all those who worked that job.

BFD1054 and TAPSJ like this

People died, young kid/adults died. To sit here and have a discussion about, ventilation and whether or not what those good samaritans was right/wrong, good or bad goes beyond words. Those people did what ANY of us in emergency services would do, HELP. Isn't that why we are all in this anyway ? To help people ? You can't fault someone for just trying to help to lives. To even attempt to go into a burning building with out any gear takes more balls than I could ever have, and those people should be given a pat on the back just for trying to get in there to save those people. This discussion makes me sick and im just as guilty to engage in this, nonsense. RIP to the young lives that were lost in this tragic incident.

Edited by RNEMT26

Looking back at my four years attending marist and the off campus houses that were available to us, anyone with knowledge in the fire service would probably be opposed to having a loved one live in anyone of them. Never crossed my mind back in the day and probably wouldn't if I was not in this career. Most were railroad style, wainscot in the hallways, front and rear porches and probably balloon construction. On campus housing was scarse for juniors and seniors back in the day. Since then they built lots of college housing. Thoughts and prayers to friends and families!

Statement from the Fairview IAFF Local 2623 Facebook Page

An early morning fire on Saturday in the Fairview section of the Town of Poughkeepsie claimed the lives of 3 young adults. The four on duty staff (3 firefighters and 1 officer) of the Fairview Fire District responded to a Marist College off campus community house at 112 Fairview Avenue for a working structure fire at 136 am. The crew responded with the normal structure fire assignment of an engine and ladder truck, as well as an additional engine from the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Dept. with another 3 firefighters on pre-arranged mutual aid to the scene. Upon arrival Fairview firefighters found a 2 1/2 story wood frame structure with heavy fire showing from the rear side of the structure and the report of people trapped. Firefighters quickly requested a second alarm which brought to the scene all remaining apparatus, as well as call back of off duty Fairview personnel, any additional volunteers and mutual aid assistance from the Arlington Fire District with their Rescue Truck and FAST team as well as Mobile Life Support EMS with a ALS ambulance to the scene and then Roosevelt Fire District stood by with an engine in Fairview fire station.

With an initial report of several victims trapped, firefighters on scene attempted to make an aggressive interior attack on the fire, but were pushed back by the extreme heat and flames. As additional help arrived they placed several ground ladders up to the building, then firefighters also had to protect an exposure on the left side of the fire building as fire was rapidly growing and melting siding and cracking windows in that exposure building. At the height of the fire the structure had flames coming from the majority of windows on all floors and the four sides, with firefighters and sucessive arriving crews putting several handlines, a portable deck gun and even a ladder pipe were placed in service to attack this fire. There was also several cars in the rear parking area of the structure that were on fire or in danger of catching fire, 2 were totally consumed fire, 1 partially consumed by fire and 3 others charred by flame and heat.

The fire was brought under control in about 90 miunutes, then firefighters began the effort of searching for the victims and put out areas of little fire remaining. There were 4 survivors who all suffered minor injuries in the fire, which claimed the lives of 3 others. Over the next few hours the 3 deceased victims were while continued overhaul, search, and fire investigation was being conducted. The fire has been labeled undetermined at this time by investigators. Fairview firefighters and all other assisting units cleared the scene around 5pm, almost 15 hours later, some of which didn't get much rest from working this call.

The members of IAFF Local #2623 would like to give thanks to the following organizations for assisting on scene or on stand-by; City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department firefighters (IAFF Local #596), Arlington Fire District firefighters (IAFF Local #2393), Roosevelt Fire District, Hyde Park Fire Department, Mobile Life Support EMS, Town of Poughkeepsie Police, Dutchess County Sheriffs Office, Dutchess County Department of Emergency Response Fire Investigation Division, Coordinators and the Dispatching Staff, City of Poughkeepsie Police (for use of their Command Vehicle by Fire Investigators), Town of Poughkeepsie Building Department, Town of Poughkeepsie Highway Department, Marist College, New York State Dept. of Homeland Security & Emergency Services Office of Fire Prevention and Control, and Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro & his Office, and lastly the Fairview Fire Co. Ladies Auxilary and the Palace Diner for refreshments & coffee. We also would like to thank the multiple media outlets that have been covering this tragic fire at this college off campus house.

In conclusion, we would like to express our heartfelt sympathy and condolences to the entire Marist College community and the families of those who lost their lives in this tragic fire.

Finally we would like to offer to anyone that has questions about fire safety to contact us so we may further prevent these events from happening anywhere again.

In an effort to turn a very sad tragic situation into something positive, Fairview Firefighters in cooperation with other agencies are conducting a door to door visitation to homes in neighborhoods near the location of this fire. Their message is to promote fire safety and give smoke detectors to homes that are in need of them. It is unbelievable that in this day of smart phones, etc. that some residents are still lacking such basic life saving devices as a properly located, functioning smoke detector and or CO detector. Kudos to them!

From Fairview's IAFF FB page:

Members of Local 2623, Fire Company Volunteers, Members of The NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control as well as Marist College Security and Staff are currently gathered to go door to door to in the district to give them a brief safety lesson on Fire Safety.

395293_10150632484843689_293278678688_11118250_38312075_n.jpg

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Kudos to Fairview FD for getting out there and helping to educate the local community which seems to house alot of college students. At that age im sure fire safety and smoke/ co detectors are the last thing on thier mind.

Hopefully this outreach by them will prevent another tragedy like this.

TAPSJ likes this