Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

FDNY Exam Prep

30 posts in this topic

I grabbed this info from another post, but it deserves it's own thread. The upcoming FDNY exam is a first of it's kind for the NYC F.D. It will be administered over several weeks and is taken on a computer. Any previous FDNY exam books will not have specific information regarding this new exam style. Some have recommended studying the LAFD guides as the same company who devised their entrance exam came up with this most recent FDNY exam.

Below are the dates, times and locations of prep courses being offered by the Vulcan Society. The Vulcan Society had prep courses that were more accurate than the city's own prior to the last exam in 2007. It stands to reason that they'll have very accurate and thorough prep courses this time as well. If you'd like to be prepared, I'd recommend attending on one of the following dates.

Class schedules and locations are as follows:

Brooklyn

M.S. 35 272 MacDonough St. on the corner of Lewis Ave (A/C at Utica Ave)

Lesson Plan A Monday, February 27 th – 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 1 st – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 3 rd – 11:00 a.m.

Lesson Plan B Monday, March 5 th – 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 8 th – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 10 th – 11:00 a.m.

Manhattan

Taino Towers (Gym) 240 E. 123rd St. near 2nd Avenue (4/5/6 to 125th St.)

Lesson Plan A Tuesday, February 28 th – 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, February 29 th – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 3 rd – 11:00 a.m.

Lesson Plan B Monday, March 5 th – 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, March 6 th – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 10 th – 11:00 a.m.

Queens

M.S. 72 133-25 Guy R. Brewer Blvd Rochdale Village

Lesson Plan A Wednesday, February 29 th – 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 1 st – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 3 rd – 11:00 a.m.

Lesson Plan B Tuesday, March 6 th – 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 8 th – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 10 th – 11:00 a.m.

Staten Island

I.S. 49 101 Warren St. between Hill St. & Laurel Ave

Lesson Plan A Tuesday, February 28 th – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 3 rd – 11:00 a.m.

Lesson Plan B Wednesday, March 7 th – 7:00 p.m. Saturday, March 10 th – 11:00 a.m.

These prep courses are free and reportedly open to all. What are they going to do? Stop you from attending because of the color of your skin. I can't imagine that! Be prepared!! Study hard and take advantage of any leg-up you can and that might very well include this prep course.

Any time that you put in now will seem like a drop in the bucket. There isn't anything that isn't worth doing in preparing for this test. I took the exam 10 years ago....time flies...

GOOD LUCK.

FDNY 10-75 and efdcapt115 like this

It is ILLEGAL for the Vulcan Society to discriminate against anyone based upon the color of their skin........................With that said, tonight at the Manhattan test prep location, Whites were told that they were NOT invited to the prep course and told not to come back by the former president of the Vulcan Society Capt. Paul Washington. At the Rochdale test prep site in Queens tonight, white applicants were not even ADMITTED to go inside....................At least the white applicants had the sense to call the Press forthwith.............Stay tuned for tomorrows newspapers, should be real interesting! Hopefully the Vulcans just shot themselves in the foot!

As much as I detest the racial divisions they're attempting to drive into the dept I saw no evidence of exclusion at Taino Towers. I was one of several white candidates there. I pre registered and paid my $20.

Its in the NY Post today. Absolutely disgusting. Hopefully the federal judge will now open his eyes to the motives of the Vulcan Society, but I doubt it.

My brother was turned away! He was told in no uncertain terms that the prep course was being given for "minorities only". He politely replied to the gentleman "I am Hispanic" (His father is from PR)the representative replied: "that doesn't count, have a good night"...

The test hasnt even happened yet but I can already see it being disputed...

Absolute disgrace that these potential test takers were denied entry to a prep course because of at least two excuses from the vulcans:

1. Not enough volunteers to handle the amount of people

2. Not having received an email confirmation to attend from the vulcans

Who paid for the vulcans to put these tutorials together? Are they saying they received no public resources in this latest "recruitment" effort? If they received one cent of public assistance for this program, and then proceeded to exclude people who PAID the taxes for the tutorials to be possible, I hope someone files an immediate lawsuit, and I'd enlist the ACLU for help in pursuing the vulcans for discrimination.

I'd also be curious to see the parameters the FDNY tasked the recruiters to perform within, and if departmental rules were violated, the members who are responsible for this serious breech of decency be held to account.

Obviously there is a lot of blustering with regard to this issue. All that aside, how was the test prep material. Perhaps someone who was inside could shed some light on what was covered.

Obviously there is a lot of blustering with regard to this issue. All that aside, how was the test prep material. Perhaps someone who was inside could shed some light on what was covered.

And why not M'Ave? Why not make as loud and big a stink as the situation calls for? You've got a judge that the city itself is trying to get removed for trying to legislate from the bench. The situation is borderline chaotic.

The Man I perceive to be The Voice of Justice is Paul Mannix. You've been instrumental here on this board pushing Merit Matters to our notice. Is this not a low point in the "Merit" category?

Stay well.

I just got a phone call from DCAS about test prep sessions they are giving? Anyone hear about this? March 8th at a HS on East 33rd Street

And why not M'Ave? Why not make as loud and big a stink as the situation calls for? You've got a judge that the city itself is trying to get removed for trying to legislate from the bench. The situation is borderline chaotic.

The Man I perceive to be The Voice of Justice is Paul Mannix. You've been instrumental here on this board pushing Merit Matters to our notice. Is this not a low point in the "Merit" category?

Stay well.

Well, you are correct. This whole situation keeps me up at night and it drives me to keep very active with Merit Matters and to push it's right-sided agenda whenever possible. Previous test prep sessions held by the Vulcan's were attended by all races without serious incident. The events that occurred last night are disturbing and deserve some serious investigation. However, I'm trying to keep the focus on the facts here. We don't really know what happened last night. Lets see what comes out of it, but until then, I'd like to hear what was covered. The next 5 weeks are pivotal in the futures of all the hopefulls taking this exam. It's more important that we keep everyone's focus on the material and not politics. We can address that later.

The point is, I want to bring the discussion back to what's most important at this moment and that's being prepared for the exam, not getting caught up in the whirlwind. Those who don't have a test to prepare for need to do the work to find out what happened.

Edited by M' Ave
efdcapt115, ny10570 and sueg like this

Well, you are correct. This whole situation keeps me up at night and it drives me to keep very active with Merit Matters and to push it's right-sided agenda whenever possible. Previous test prep sessions held by the Vulcan's were attended by all races without serious incident. The events that occurred last night are disturbing and deserve some serious investigation. However, I'm trying to keep the focus on the facts here. We don't really know what happened last night. Lets see what comes out of it, but until then, I'd like to hear what was covered. The next 5 weeks are pivotal in the futures of all the hopefulls taking this exam. It's more important that we keep everyone's focus on the material and not politics. We can address that later.

The point is, I want to bring the discussion back to what's most important at this moment and that's being prepared for the exam, not getting caught up in the whirlwind. Those who don't have a test to prepare for need to do the work to find out what happened.

That's cool, your post helped me understand your efforts now at keeping focus on getting prepared. And just as with the Florida firefighter and that discussion yesterday, it's right to withhold judgement, find out the facts, and keep the members that might be prepping for this test focused on what they need to be doing. Best of luck to everybody taking the test.

M' Ave likes this

Who paid for the vulcans to put these tutorials together? Are they saying they received no public resources in this latest "recruitment" effort? If they received one cent of public assistance for this program, and then proceeded to exclude people who PAID the taxes for the tutorials to be possible, I hope someone files an immediate lawsuit, and I'd enlist the ACLU for help in pursuing the vulcans for discrimination.

Some of the Prep locations were public schools. I am sure that at a minimum the tax payers had to pay for last nights light & heat.

x129K and M' Ave like this

Some of the Prep locations were public schools. I am sure that at a minimum the tax payers had to pay for last nights light & heat.

This is possible. To play devils advocate, they may have paid a fee to use the space, just as many church groups had prior to the recent ban on religious activities in public schools.

On another note, Chief Mannix appeared briefly on Channel 2 today. It's nice to see the story being covered thoroughly and it does appear that white applicants who paid in advance were turned away. This was not the case in two prior prep courses, only last night's. According to the news, the Vulcan's had no comment and the FDNY is investigating. Who know's where that will lead....

The test seems very similar to the last test. A lot of personality questions and comprehension stuff. I have the handouts (including the powerpoint) and once I get it digitized I want to get it out there. I'll definitely e-mail it to merit matters and anyone else that wants it.

JM15 likes this

The test seems very similar to the last test. A lot of personality questions and comprehension stuff. I have the handouts (including the powerpoint) and once I get it digitized I want to get it out there. I'll definitely e-mail it to merit matters and anyone else that wants it.

Terrific, thanks. Chief Mannix will definitely want it.

I would like to know if anyone attended the Vulcan Society's Test Prep Course for Lesson B. I already have the study packets for Lesson plan A, I just need Lesson Plan B. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me get my hands on a hard copy or even a PDF file. Thank you.

I would like to know if anyone attended the Vulcan Society's Test Prep Course for Lesson B. I already have the study packets for Lesson plan A, I just need Lesson Plan B. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me get my hands on a hard copy or even a PDF file. Thank you.

Would you do everyone a favor and post whatever you have here on this site? Perhaps a scan if possible.

JM15 likes this

As I understand it, the testing will begin tomorrow. Here is the PSI web portal: http://fdny.psiexams.com

It seems to have some information regarding content, ect. Give it a look over if you're taking the exam over the next few weeks.

Remember, this test is everything. Sleep early the night before, stay hydrated and don't drink too much coffee that morning. You want to be alert but calm and relaxed. Be patient and take your time. So what if it takes 4 hours. It's 4 hours for a lifetime career and it's more than worth it's weight!

Good luck! I hope everyone who sees fit to work hard and push themselves to do well will make it to The Rock and out the other side! Rebirth as you might say ;)

Got a call this morning from DCAS to schedule a test prep session in Manhattan. Despite all the discouraging news I keep hearing regarding this test, I'm very excited to give it another shot. I took #6019 back when I was a senior in high school and if nothing else it was great practice.

As I understand it, the testing will begin tomorrow. Here is the PSI web portal: http://fdny.psiexams.com

It seems to have some information regarding content, ect. Give it a look over if you're taking the exam over the next few weeks.

Remember, this test is everything. Sleep early the night before, stay hydrated and don't drink too much coffee that morning. You want to be alert but calm and relaxed. Be patient and take your time. So what if it takes 4 hours. It's 4 hours for a lifetime career and it's more than worth it's weight!

Good luck! I hope everyone who sees fit to work hard and push themselves to do well will make it to The Rock and out the other side! Rebirth as you might say ;)

Good advice, M'Ave! My thirty years on the job in the Bronx and Manhattan was the best times of my life. I truly wish that I had not retired nine years ago. If I could go back today, I'd RUN to 9 Metrotech to sign back up! Stay safe!

And to the future FDNY probies, that are taking the test- listen to the above advice from M'Ave- you may be able to get on the "best job in the world"! Good luck!

Edited by lt411
x129K, efdcapt115, wraftery and 1 other like this

So, has anyone been to take the exam yet? Let us know.

So, has anyone been to take the exam yet? Let us know.

I took the exam during the first offering on 3-15-12 at 8AM. I had never taken a civil service exam before and was shocked at the simplicity. I had looked over what to expect and such so I guess I was not actually that shocked. I am not sure what I can say about the test since it is still being offered but I am very willing to give info if requested. PM me... I found the test to be very fair and if you can read/write/listen to basic things then you should have no problem scoring very well on the exam.

Best of luck to all who are taking the test!

-Madison

I also have already taken it... Not to go into specifics but for anyone who hasnt check out the videos on the DCAS website under the test prep!

I took the exam during the first offering on 3-15-12 at 8AM. I had never taken a civil service exam before and was shocked at the simplicity. I had looked over what to expect and such so I guess I was not actually that shocked. I am not sure what I can say about the test since it is still being offered but I am very willing to give info if requested. PM me... I found the test to be very fair and if you can read/write/listen to basic things then you should have no problem scoring very well on the exam.

Best of luck to all who are taking the test!

-Madison

Thanks for passing along the info without divulging too much.

When you say "fair" do you mean that it is still an accurate and decisive way to weed out a candidate who put in no effort? The last thing I, or any of my co-workers, want to see is the job we worked for given away for nothing.

Candidates, please keep us in the loop. Thanks.

Thanks for passing along the info without divulging too much.

When you say "fair" do you mean that it is still an accurate and decisive way to weed out a candidate who put in no effort? The last thing I, or any of my co-workers, want to see is the job we worked for given away for nothing.

Candidates, please keep us in the loop. Thanks.

Now you have me wondering if "fair" was the correct word choice. I think it is fair in the sense that anyone can do well whether they put forth a lot of effort or zero effort. I am not sure if it is fair in terms of the best candidate getting the job. It is hard for me to compare because this was my first exam. IMHO someone who gets the extra points for residency or being minority can easily score higher than someone who is more qualified and a better candidate. For example, if I got a 100, I can only get a 100 because I do not qualify for any of the extra points. But if someone who qualifies for the minority points gets a 100 he then does better than me because he gets the 5% or 10% (I forget which on it is) in addition to his 100. Is he better for the job? So I guess it really is not that fair... yup not fair...final answer.

Now you have me wondering if "fair" was the correct word choice. I think it is fair in the sense that anyone can do well whether they put forth a lot of effort or zero effort. I am not sure if it is fair in terms of the best candidate getting the job. It is hard for me to compare because this was my first exam. IMHO someone who gets the extra points for residency or being minority can easily score higher than someone who is more qualified and a better candidate. For example, if I got a 100, I can only get a 100 because I do not qualify for any of the extra points. But if someone who qualifies for the minority points gets a 100 he then does better than me because he gets the 5% or 10% (I forget which on it is) in addition to his 100. Is he better for the job? So I guess it really is not that fair... yup not fair...final answer.

Thanks for clarifying "fair". I must say that's disappointing.

Lets set the record straight on one topic....you DO NOT get extra points for being a minority. Disparate impact, the thing anyone who doesn't try hard enough hides behind, needs to go away, but we need to fight it with fact.

ny10570 likes this

Thanks for clarifying "fair". I must say that's disappointing.

Lets set the record straight on one topic....you DO NOT get extra points for being a minority. Disparate impact, the thing anyone who doesn't try hard enough hides behind, needs to go away, but we need to fight it with fact.

There is not a % increase for minorities? My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I took the last test and I believe this one was a lot easier.. no open ended questions or questions with multiple right answers. I personally think they "dumbed" it down a lot

PFDRes47cue likes this