SRS131EMTFF

Yonkers Layoffs

102 posts in this topic

The City has proposed to have the YFD stop running medical calls, the call volume would go down and the City could make themselves feel better about layoffs.

yfd2012 likes this

Absolutely the wrong thing for the city to do. The whole "First Responder" program was put into place "years ago" to help in the "CRITICAL 4 MINUTE RESPONSE"

It's no secret to every member of EMTBravo.net, that “Four Minutes” is a critical time frame for someone who has experienced a heart attack, injury, or other illness that makes them stop breathing. The heart and brain have a better chance of full recovery they receive oxygen in four minutes or less. After that, a person can suffer brain damage or worse. Yonkers Firefighters (as well as others in Westchester County), many of them educated to higher levels of first responder training (EMT-B, EMT-I/85, EMT-I/99, EMT-P (Paramedic), can use life saving techniques including defibrillation and medications to help prevent death or permanent injury. These life saving techniques are much more effective if they can get to a patient within the first four minutes.

Eliminating the “First Responder Program” in Yonkers, will certainly have a major impact on the Quality of Emergency Response Service that the citizens of Yonkers deserve.

Personally, I don’t think that the politicians that run the city will even approach this idea. If you think that the City Council Chambers gets crowded during Union Negotiated issue, wait until this subject gets discussed (if it even makes it to the council) openly, in public. There would not be enough room in that building to hold back every citizen that would be calling for “Heads to Roll’

The City has proposed to have the YFD stop running medical calls, the call volume would go down and the City could make themselves feel better about layoffs.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120607/NEWS02/306070108/Yonkers-fire-department-budget-talks-stall-2-firetrucks-could-sidelined

Just hours before the City Council votes on a budget that leaves 30 Fire Department jobs vacant next fiscal year, the firefighters’ union chief said today talks with the mayor have stalled and plans for closures at two firehouses appear to be moving forward.

To quote the artilce from lohud:

"The new budget proposal also restores $560,000 to the Yonkers Public Library, allowing it to stay open Saturdays and evenings.

Erich Schoen, president of the Friends of the Yonkers Public Library, called the restoration “good news” today but said the city will likely have to issue bonds to purchase new books that the library sorely needs.

“We applaud the mayor and the council for putting money back in,” Schoen said. “In this economy, people need the latest library services.”

In my opinion I would much rather have seen more money go to "public Safety" then making sure the public Library can be open on saturday's.

will the yonkers public Library come to your house when there is an emergency?

The last time I steped foot in a library was in college over 10 years ago.

chris

redtruck75, boca1day, x129K and 4 others like this

Now that the Mayor and City Council approved the 2013 Budget, agreeing not to fill the 30 open positions with the YFD, does this mean that the city will proceed in eliminating Engine 312 and Tower Ladder 71, as last reported just prior to the budget being passed. Also, does anyone know if the First Responder Program has also been eliminated?

(This is absolutely insane, given the recent industrial development in the city [ie: Ridge Hill (with proposed new fire house included, Stew Leonards, etc] and the proposed new downtown development)

Look back to the YFD levels back in 1975 compared to today:

1975: 13 Engine Companies, 7 Truck (aka Ladder) Companies, 1 Rescue Company, 2 Battalion Chielfs

1975;

Station 1 (New School Street)

Engine # 1

Truck # 1

Rescue 1

Station 2 (Vineyard Avenue)

Engine 2

Truck 2

Station 3 (Vark Street)

Engine 3

Battalion 1

Station 4 (Radford Street)

Engine 4

Truck 4

Station 6 (Oak Street)

Engine 6

Station 7 (Central Avenue)

Engine 7

Station 8 (Warburton Avenue)

Engine 8

Station 9 (Shonnard Place)

Engine 9

Station 10 (Saw Mill River Road)

Engine 10

Station 11 (Bronxville Road)

Engine 11

Truck 3

Station 12 (Fortfield Avenue)

Engine 12

Truck 5

Battalion 2

Station 13 (Kimball Avenue)

Engine 13

Truck 6

Station 14 (North Central Avenue)

Engine 14

Truck 7

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potentially For 2013 (effective July 1, 2012)

10 Engine Companies, 5 Ladder Companies, 1 Rescue Company and 2 Battalion Chiefs

Station 1 (New School Street)

Rescue 1

Station 3 (Vark Street)

Engine 303

Battalion 1

Station 4 (Radford Street)

Engine 304

Ladder 74

Station 6 (Oak Street)

Engine 306

Station 7 (Central Avenue)

Engine 307

Station 8 (Warburton Avenue)

Engine 308

Station 9 (Shonnard Place)

Engine 309

Ladder 72

Station 10 (Saw Mill River Road)

Engine 310

Station 11 (Bronxville Road)

Squad 11

Station 12 (Fortfield Avenue)

Tower Ladder 75

Battalion 2

Station 13 (Kimball Avenue)

Engine 313

Ladder 73

Station 14 (North Central Avenue)

Engine 314

Ladder 70

sfrd18 and SageVigiles like this

Safety division is closed as of today!! Still doing ems but who knows what the future holds.

Does anyone know if the city was granted the waiver for the safer grant?

Does anyone know if the city was granted the waiver for the safer grant?

I dont think that answer is out yet, but I do know that if they get it, its a bad thing for the department.

I dont think that answer is out yet, but I do know that if they get it, its a bad thing for the department.

......let's take the Safer Grant, which is for FD's, and try to figure out how not to use it on the FD......

......we can't? Well, let's not use it, how do we get out of it?......

I was expecting more intelligent moves by the new Administration, Guess NOT!!

Here is a link to a WPIX story where Mayor Spano basically admits that he is utilizing the SAFER grant as a negotiating tool.

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-yonkers-firefighters-budget-battle,0,3947667.story

The administration is only attempting to bust the union, and has no interest in "negotiating." The past administration sold the city to developers, and the trend continues with the new administration. In 2011, over $32 million NET was given away in tax breaks, and Mayor Spano and the Yonkers IDA recently approved more deals for builders. Let's not forget the some $16-18 million in delinquent property taxes (accumulated over years), and the $2 million in fire prevention fines that have yet to be collected, as per the YFD commissioner at the budget hearing.

It was mentioned in prior posts how the YFD was already short staffed. Just a little FYI...in 2004, when they were planning for Ridge Hill Village, an independent environmental analyst stated tha "the City of Yonkers Fire protection rating is currently considered to be at a minimally acceptable level." That was BEFORE development began! It was suggested that to mitigate the effects of the development that staffing and equipment levels be increased and a firehouse be constructed in closer proximity to the development. The costs of these additions should easily be covered by tax revenue from Ridge Hill, but refer to above. Maybe I should throw in that the developer was supposed to pay the City of Yonkers $3 million towards construction of a firehouse, but good old Yonkers politician never followed through on it. There has since been other development with Empire City, Cross County, Executive Blvd, and numerous other projects, including high rise structures.

As of today it appears that 2 companies are closing at minimum (TL71, and E312 as of now.) I also want to point out that in just 5 days, over Memorial Day weekend, the members of the YFD gathered 13,000+ petition signatures to protest cuts to YFD services, particularly EMS. These petitions were delivered to city council at the final public budget hearing and with the addition to the members of the public that spoke on behalf of the YFD, it seems that for now they have backed off of that idea.

grumpyff likes this

Isn't Ladder 71 the busiest in the city and the only tower on the west side? 72 and 74 are straight sticks and 75 would be coming from Fortfield. That's a long way for a job down in 303 or 306's first due areas.

sfrd18 and x129K like this

Isn't Ladder 71 the busiest in the city and the only tower on the west side? 72 and 74 are straight sticks and 75 would be coming from Fortfield. That's a long way for a job down in 303 or 306's first due areas.

Correct! Actually, referring back to the Ridge Hill comments, it was a truck company that was indicated as the needed addition to the department. I'm not sure if you are aware, but there are numerous bad water areas in Yonkers as well. E-312 is an LDH company, and is probably the busier all of the LDH companies.

redtruck75 likes this

Absolutely correct. The Ridge Hill Developer contractually promised in the development agreement that they would build a New Fire House (Speculated as a New Station 10) and that the city would add an additional Ladder Company (Ladder 77) to this new firehouse at Ridge Hill

Today, that is still a pipe dream.

More Political Baloney - The New Downtown Development project is supposedly to include a New 6 Apparatus Bay Fire Headquarters on the corner of New Main Street and Neprahan Avenue. "6 Apparatus Bays?????" For what trucks (you will only have 1 piece of apparatus for this building [Rescue 1], so why such a large building???? (Rumor had it that along with TL71 and R1, the City was going to add 2 additional Engine Companies at this facility (Engine 301, & 302) as part of the New Downtown Development

Don't hold your breath citizens of Yonkers, as it is getting worse rather than better as it relates to Fire Apparatus in the city.

Here is a link to a WPIX story where Mayor Spano basically admits that he is utilizing the SAFER grant as a negotiating tool.

http://www.wpix.com/...0,3947667.story

The administration is only attempting to bust the union, and has no interest in "negotiating." The past administration sold the city to developers, and the trend continues with the new administration. In 2011, over $32 million NET was given away in tax breaks, and Mayor Spano and the Yonkers IDA recently approved more deals for builders. Let's not forget the some $16-18 million in delinquent property taxes (accumulated over years), and the $2 million in fire prevention fines that have yet to be collected, as per the YFD commissioner at the budget hearing.

It was mentioned in prior posts how the YFD was already short staffed. Just a little FYI...in 2004, when they were planning for Ridge Hill Village, an independent environmental analyst stated tha "the City of Yonkers Fire protection rating is currently considered to be at a minimally acceptable level." That was BEFORE development began! It was suggested that to mitigate the effects of the development that staffing and equipment levels be increased and a firehouse be constructed in closer proximity to the development. The costs of these additions should easily be covered by tax revenue from Ridge Hill, but refer to above. Maybe I should throw in that the developer was supposed to pay the City of Yonkers $3 million towards construction of a firehouse, but good old Yonkers politician never followed through on it. There has since been other development with Empire City, Cross County, Executive Blvd, and numerous other projects, including high rise structures.

As of today it appears that 2 companies are closing at minimum (TL71, and E312 as of now.) I also want to point out that in just 5 days, over Memorial Day weekend, the members of the YFD gathered 13,000+ petition signatures to protest cuts to YFD services, particularly EMS. These petitions were delivered to city council at the final public budget hearing and with the addition to the members of the public that spoke on behalf of the YFD, it seems that for now they have backed off of that idea.

Safety division is closed as of today!! Still doing ems but who knows what the future holds.

Why did they close the safety division? I thought the only cuts were the vacancies not being filled.

Why did they close the safety division? I thought the only cuts were the vacancies not being filled.

Nope- 30 vacancies, Safety AND 2-companies......

And yes..... I'm "TIP" !

sfrd18, JFLYNN, JM15 and 2 others like this

R1 - This news is just play "horrible" - When does this all come down? July 1st? or has the Safety Battalion, Tower Ladder 71 and Engine 312 already been taken out of service?

City Hall has to wake up !!!

Nope- 30 vacancies, Safety AND 2-companies......

And yes..... I'm "TIP" !

I now heard they want to only have one batt for the entire city.

What?! They need the 3rd Battalion staffed as the call-back chief on most multiples, and now they only want one BC for the whole city?!

As of june 8th one batt riding out of fortfield ave if both batt spots are vacant and city has to pay o.t. to fill spots. If batt is not available, officer on scene from truck or engine becomes i/c resulting in one less company. Possible scenario, L71 closed along with E312 and safety batt and one battalion riding out of station 12 and one rig assumes i/c duties. Interesting!

Actually as per Mayors office we will go down to one Battalion city-wide anytime there is a vacant spot in either Battalion Due to vaca, personal, sick or any other leave. In other words, they wLill not pay overtime to man a Battalion unless there are spots open in both Battalions at same time, in which case they will pay to keep one Battalion open.

Safety is closed as per Mayors Office

Also, as per Mayors Office, 312 and 71 are the companies which will be "browned out" when Firefighter manning drops below certain levels, but this is on hold for now. However, no reason to believe that this plan won't go forward in the very near future from what were told.

Confused? Me too...

Of course this is ludicrous but we will do the best we can with what is given us. All the while continuing to point out and document that we are below the minimum levels to provide adequate services.

I won't be commenting further. Just wanted to clear up a bit of misinformation.

Edited by JFLYNN

Why has the fire commisioner been so quiet? Alot has unfolded in the last few months and appears he is MIA. The entire department is on path for total for total decimation. Does he not care?

The city has grown tremendously and continues, yet the department is slated to shrink. Bizarre!!

Why has the fire commisioner been so quiet? Alot has unfolded in the last few months and appears he is MIA. The entire department is on path for total for total decimation. Does he not care?

The city has grown tremendously and continues, yet the department is slated to shrink. Bizarre!!

It's not bizarre. It's politics as usual in the 21st Century.

The Fire Commissioner is a mayoral appointee so he is limited in what he can say or do publicly. I'm confident that he is working to defend his department and we shouldn't be so quick to call him MIA or accuse him of not caring. That's speculative and disrespectful.

Let's try to remember that as difficult as this is for us to fathom, it is the livelihood of many members of this site so please consider their feelings when posting.

Thank you.

ny10570, JAD622, Bnechis and 4 others like this

Good luck Men....you will need it.

Agree, best of luck.

From today's "The Journal News" website:

State comptroller OK’s revised Yonkers budget

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2012/07/02/state-comptroller-oks-revised-yonkers-budget/

What does "The city resolved the concerns by restoring fire positions with money in its contingency fund....." mean ? Are companies saved ? No brownout of companies ?

just posted my thoughts of this on the city of yonkers facebook page