helicopper

NY City's swamped call center failed as lifeline for Sandy's victims

10 posts in this topic

The city’s 911 call system failed the most vulnerable New Yorkers caught in Sandy’s wrath, say survivors, some of whom lost loved ones in the storm.

Among their shocking claims:

* 911 calls rang and rang unanswered or were greeted by woefully unprepared operators.

http://www.nypost.co...ONmw5SLdwaJyt8M

There were 20,000 calls per hour when Sandy hit Oct. 29, and the city’s 1,400 911 dispatchers were overwhelmed despite official claims that they could handle 50,000 calls an hour. The 911 system typically handles 30,000 calls a day.

(emphasis added)

I don't know how much I trust the NY Post and their sensationalism journalistic style, but I'm sure there were the some problems, given this was an unprecendented event. However, their article was mostly blamed on "claims" from the public, who, are ignorant about calltaking and dispatch operations and views that may have been skewed.

In the article, they reference people calling 911 from the mandatory evacuation zone. Really? Those people should really shut up, because they ignored the evacuation orders and then called 911 when what was told was going to happen happened. They have no right to complain.

sfrd18, Capejake72, BBBMF and 3 others like this

In the article, they reference people calling 911 from the mandatory evacuation zone. Really? Those people should really shut up, because they ignored the evacuation orders and then called 911 when what was told was going to happen happened. They have no right to complain.

I'm willing to guess that the old man pictured in the wheelchair didn't have a way to evacuate. And he did "shut up," as he is now deceased.

helicopper likes this

I'm willing to guess that the old man pictured in the wheelchair didn't have a way to evacuate. And he did "shut up," as he is now deceased.

While it's sad that the gentleman died, and I don't mean to sound cold...but residents were given plenty of time to evacuate......and the elderly and disabled were not forgotten about. It was made clear several times that rescuers may not be able to reach and rescue people if they didn't evacuate. Dispatchers should not be immediately blamed as the cause of his death.

sfrd18 and SageVigiles like this

'

An excert from the alert from the National Weather Service.

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE OUT THE '62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

4. SANDY IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. THERE WILL BE MAJOR PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE, BUT THE GOAL IS ZERO FATALITIES.

5. IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

WE WISH EVERYONE IN HARMS WAY ALL THE BEST. STAY SAFE!"

Pretty much sums it up. An absolutely terrible situation, but they only have themselves to blame.

Edited by newsbuff
sfrd18 and Capejake72 like this

I'm sure the actual problem was not the true emergencies calling in but the loads of increased call for nonsense.

grumpyff and JM15 like this

I'm sure the actual problem was not the true emergencies calling in but the loads of increased call for nonsense.

Whether we like it or not, the calls for "nonsense" are part of the job too.

Whether we like it or not, the calls for "nonsense" are part of the job too.

I agree but what I was referring to were supposedly and inordinate amount of nonsense calls that didn't even generate a response. Stuff like hey my lights are out and it's windy out there and the sign fell down.

I wonder how this would have gone down in the pre-911 era. Way too many people calling 911 for mindless reasons these days (in general).

Probably with the desk officer just hanging up on those people.

It's windy out? Yep, sure is *click*

fitzjr11 likes this